The Retro-PES Corner

I love the way the players run on birds eye camera. Just look at the legs :D

That is hilarious, as I think it may be a PES 6 glitch like the slide tackle thin air thing in the Playstation 2 version. Unless all the players in Birds Eye view were on corticosteroids like Wiggo. :NONO::NONO::NONO:

Heh heh i thought @WhoAteMeDinner posted this until i saw your name @Titch
Sounds like (or reads like) a post from him :P

Hi to all, what one of you guys was playing PES2008? What difficulty are you playing on?

Ive been struggling so much on Professional so i knocked it up a notch to Top Player and found that the CPU doesnt press so much.

I think the higher the difficulty the easier the game is a common theme with PES.

Going to shock you now @geeeeee , with a very boring tactical explanation that PES 3 legend @fmicablues7 and I have discussed about Top Player, Five Star and the rare Six Star difficulty settings. The game seems easier for a bit in the top difficulty settings maybe as the COM teams don't press like maniacs, but that means they are harder to break down as they sit back and soak up endless attacks from your team. Ugh, that was boring, sorry. :SHHH:

I had over 6 hours of playing today,and I'm beat.
Reached a point in my ML(s) where the CPU gives you grief in truckloads.
Struggling in my 12 ML,3 straight losses,not one single goal either.
Decided to play some 13 ,got beaten left and right there to,and on 11, and on my trusty old 17.
Groundhog Day of or me.

A few things.
I came in to these game playing PA1,but quickly back on manual again.
Pes 13 plays so good on manual,I'm tempted to get that one as my main game.
Pes 11's shooting is probably the best I've ever seen.
Still loving my 12,but thirteen is buzzing around whispering "play me"
Not the worst dilemma imo

Going to shock you now @geeeeee , with a very boring tactical explanation that PES 3 legend @fmicablues7 and I have discussed about Top Player, Five Star and the rare Six Star difficulty settings. The game seems easier for a bit in the top difficulty settings maybe as the COM teams don't press like maniacs, but that means they are harder to break down as they sit back and soak up endless attacks from your team. Ugh, that was boring, sorry. :SHHH:

Yes you are right definitly the higher level is more difficult to break down but the pressing is not as bad. I have not won a game for about 30 matches so far and that is no exageration. That includes PS2 and PSP version of 2008. I will see how Top Player goes.

I had over 6 hours of playing today,and I'm beat.
Reached a point in my ML(s) where the CPU gives you grief in truckloads.
Struggling in my 12 ML,3 straight losses,not one single goal either.
Decided to play some 13 ,got beaten left and right there to,and on 11, and on my trusty old 17.
Groundhog Day of or me.

A few things.
I came in to these game playing PA1,but quickly back on manual again.
Pes 13 plays so good on manual,I'm tempted to get that one as my main game.
Pes 11's shooting is probably the best I've ever seen.
Still loving my 12,but thirteen is buzzing around whispering "play me"
Not the worst dilemma imo

Your post sums up the last 12 years for me and PES. Playing the new one each year for a while and then backwards and forwards playing different ones but finding myself going back to the ones i love, the retro ones. And then trying the newer ones again and going backwards and forwards rinse and repeat. :COAT:

Yes you are right definitly the higher level is more difficult to break down but the pressing is not as bad. I have not won a game for about 30 matches so far and that is no exageration. That includes PS2 and PSP version of 2008. I will see how Top Player goes.

Your post sums up the last 12 years for me and PES. Playing the new one each year for a while and then backwards and forwards playing different ones but finding myself going back to the ones i love, the retro ones. And then trying the newer ones again and going backwards and forwards rinse and repeat. :COAT:
The cycle of life!
Really liking the older games better atm,shocked that so much individuality and joy has been removed in newer ones

The cycle of life!
Really liking the older games better atm,shocked that so much individuality and joy has been removed in newer ones

Yep i agree, the cpu had a snap shot against me a few weeks ago and it almost hit the corner flag. It was all about body position, stats, weak foot etc...

It’s so good to have a thread where we can discuss the retro PES and not get slaughtered for it. Good vibes here :)

I was playing my Norwegian OBAS Ligaen as Nest-Sotra on PES6 last night and I moved a player up who had been playing centre back up to now but could also play CF. My main striker hadn't been scoring so I thought I'll give this guy a run out and see how he does. He doesn't have a lot of pace and isn't that tall (but is surprisingly decent at CB). Anyway throughout the first half he was being beaten to the ball a lot and nothing was really sticking with him and he was losing all the aerial challenges and I thought well this isn't going to be very successful. Then early in the second half I played a diagonal ball in from the wing towards the box, he got there first ahead of the CB and reached the ball just inside the area. I hit it first time and he struck a lovely low shot into the far corner to put me ahead. :) Totally surprised me and again encapsulates that individuality. He had another chance later that the keeper saved as well and now he's given me a dilemma on where to play him. Love it.

1530275231-sans-titre.png

Little preview for my PES 2008 global adjustments option file. PES 5 style number of fouls there for the CPU, i was playing Arsenal for the record.

Last edited:
@fmicablues7: Though PES08 has a very acceptable fouls per match ratio, I don't think I've ever seen the CPU commit so many of them! What was the magic you used to get there?

@mattmid: This will be my wacky-manager-side speaking, but if I were you I'd set up a default formation for your team in which he played as a CB, then edit Formation A or B (triggered through L2+O/Triange/Square/X) to have that CB as a striker. When you're defending, you use the standard formation with him as a CB; when you're attacking you trigger the alternative formation and the CB becomes a striker. One day I'm going to try this.

@miguelfcp Interesting idea, that's food for thought :) I wonder though whether he'd be worn out all that up and down the pitch, still if there's a DM as well he should slot back in there to cover his forays up the pitch. I just played another game and he scored again, this time an 89th minute winner to break the deadlock and give me a 1-0 win :) Talking of fouls these were the stats (talk about take your only shot on target!) and 3 yellows for the computer.

fouls.jpg

@fmicablues7: Though PES08 has a very acceptable fouls per match ratio, I don't think I've ever seen the CPU commit so many of them! What was the magic you used to get there?

@mattmid: This will be my wacky-manager-side speaking, but if I were you I'd set up a default formation for your team in which he played as a CB, then edit Formation A or B (triggered through L2+O/Triange/Square/X) to have that CB as a striker. When you're defending, you use the standard formation with him as a CB; when you're attacking you trigger the alternative formation and the CB becomes a striker. One day I'm going to try this.

I simply used Alex1912's gameplay adjustments as a base and i tweaked a bit the numbers according to the PES 2008 specificities. It's surely not perfect, but it is far better than default game IMO. Here is the option file, if anybody want to try. It is the default option file with the global adjustments. I can post the global adjustments later if needed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uDPDSk3jqWu7yu2HuidUx3isUXvSdWfS/view?usp=sharing

I must say i also love PES 2012 at the moment though. Thanks to @rockstrongo for the input. I never played it, because i bought FIFA 12 back in the day. And i always assumed PES 2012 was the little brother of PES 2013 (with which i have a love-hate relationship). But for me, PES 2012 is better, especially the CPU.

I just began playing PES 6 again, and I know I am about to unleash a very controversial statement, but is it me, or is the shooting awkwardly... bad?

Even the smallest tap of the shoot button makes the receiver of a pass send the ball flying off the pitch, and the aiming doesn't help either. Since the aiming doesn't automatically adjust to the goal's position, it's very hard to score at any angle other than the center. Basically I find it frustratingly difficult to play this game because of the shooting feeling very outdated, and I would like some help if needed.

I simply used Alex1912's gameplay adjustments as a base and i tweaked a bit the numbers according to the PES 2008 specificities. It's surely not perfect, but it is far better than default game IMO. Here is the option file, if anybody want to try. It is the default option file with the global adjustments. I can post the global adjustments later if needed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uDPDSk3jqWu7yu2HuidUx3isUXvSdWfS/view?usp=sharing

I must say i also love PES 2012 at the moment though. Thanks to @rockstrongo for the input. I never played it, because i bought FIFA 12 back in the day. And i always assumed PES 2012 was the little brother of PES 2013 (with which i have a love-hate relationship). But for me, PES 2012 is better, especially the CPU.
Nice to hear mate @fmicablues7
It flew under my radar as well,went Pes 6-11-13-15.
It's a nice little game,very hard to score on the CPU,tough defense,a bit pacey,I go between -1 and -2 in game speed.

Pes 13 is very strange,love/hate is a good description.
Not comfy in defence when playing 13
Nice to see an compadre in 12:)

Yep i agree, the cpu had a snap shot against me a few weeks ago and it almost hit the corner flag. It was all about body position, stats, weak foot etc...

It’s so good to have a thread where we can discuss the retro PES and not get slaughtered for it. Good vibes here :)
It is,nice vibe in here.
The unpredictability in these games are stunning.
Won Vs Villareal 2-1 in Pes 12,their goal was a sideways pass 30 m from goal to a striker who banged it crossbar and in.

I never put pressure on modern games that high up,or at least I don't expect Pes 17-18 to shoot from there.
Brilliant

I just began playing PES 6 again, and I know I am about to unleash a very controversial statement, but is it me, or is the shooting awkwardly... bad?

Even the smallest tap of the shoot button makes the receiver of a pass send the ball flying off the pitch, and the aiming doesn't help either. Since the aiming doesn't automatically adjust to the goal's position, it's very hard to score at any angle other than the center. Basically I find it frustratingly difficult to play this game because of the shooting feeling very outdated, and I would like some help if needed.

Yeah, it's you :BLEH: Just kidding. It all depends on a lot of factors as they do all come into play. Is the player off balance? Is it his weaker foot? Is it a tight angle? Is his accuracy stat low? Is his shooting technique stat low? (this one ties in with awkward angle shots) Is he being challenged at that moment and so on. You do get plenty of sitter's missed but then you do in real football too. I think it's very realistic on the whole.

Yes please post the global adjustments :)

Global adjustments for PES 2008:

Defense

-33%,+33, -15%, then only for GK: +17%

Balance

-30, then only for GK: +30, only CBT and CWP: +20, only SB +12, only DM: +8, only WB: +6, only CM: +4, for all except GK: +5, then only for GK: -50%

Top Speed

-15, for GK: (-15%,-15), then for all: +15,-20%

Acceleration

-20%, -5%,-50,-33%, then for all except GK: -5

Response

-33%,+33, then only for CBT and CWP, one more time: -33%,+33, only for GK +6

Agility

Dribble Accuracy

Dribble Speed

-10, -5%,-2

Short Pass Accuracy

-20%

Short Pass Speed

-7%,-7

Long Pass Accuracy

Shot Accuracy

-5, +5%

Shot Technique

-10, +25%,+2

Jump

-20,+20%, then only for GK: +4,-33%,+38,-50%

Mentality

for position from CM to CF: +3

Keeper Skills

for all: +1

Team Work

-5, +10%, then only for GK: +20%

Credits to Alex1912 and RPFL Patch for their formulas

Global adjustments for PES 2008:

Defense

-33%,+33, -15%, then only for GK: +17%

Balance

-30, then only for GK: +30, only CBT and CWP: +20, only SB +12, only DM: +8, only WB: +6, only CM: +4, for all except GK: +5, then only for GK: -50%

Top Speed

-15, for GK: (-15%,-15), then for all: +15,-20%

Acceleration

-20%, -5%,-50,-33%, then for all except GK: -5

Response

-33%,+33, then only for CBT and CWP, one more time: -33%,+33, only for GK +6

Agility

Dribble Accuracy

Dribble Speed

-10, -5%,-2

Short Pass Accuracy

-20%

Short Pass Speed

-7%,-7

Long Pass Accuracy

Shot Accuracy

-5, +5%

Shot Technique

-10, +25%,+2

Jump

-20,+20%, then only for GK: +4,-33%,+38,-50%

Mentality

for position from CM to CF: +3

Keeper Skills

for all: +1

Team Work

-5, +10%, then only for GK: +20%

Credits to Alex1912 and RPFL Patch for their formulas

Thanks for these. It’s a shame though that in ML the adjustments dont affect the Young ML players :(

Yes, it's a shame. At least, we have the choice to turn off the players development in PES 2008 unlike PES 5...

Yes we can but that wont make a difference because when the Young ML players appear their stats will be different. For example their Agility will be 45 higher!

Yes we can but that wont make a difference because when the Young ML players appear their stats will be different. For example their Agility will be 45 higher!

Are you sure that they appear even with development turned off ? I'm almost sure they don't in PES 6.
By the way, what do you think about the gameplay with these global adjustments ?

Yeah, it's you :BLEH: Just kidding. It all depends on a lot of factors as they do all come into play. Is the player off balance? Is it his weaker foot? Is it a tight angle? Is his accuracy stat low? Is his shooting technique stat low? (this one ties in with awkward angle shots) Is he being challenged at that moment and so on. You do get plenty of sitter's missed but then you do in real football too. I think it's very realistic on the whole.

Yep @mattmid , dead right, brutal realism at its best in all early PES games. I had a good first Default Originals Challenge season in PES 6: 4 wins and 2 draws and a 6th place finish and a thousand surplus ML points at season end.

Following season, GAME OVER after just ten league and cup games. 9 losses and no goals, now that is realism in the extreme, but then when you improve and do better the joy is all the more fun.

Starting again tonight, Goddammit. :CRY:

Are you sure that they appear even with development turned off ? I'm almost sure they don't in PES 6.
By the way, what do you think about the gameplay with these global adjustments ?

I would have thought they would appear but i could be wrong. I always play with development on.

Being honest i havent tried with the adjustments. I just wanted to see what the adjustments were ;)

@WhoAteMeDinner The first couple of seasons are brutal on the Originals challenge. I had to play 8 friendlies at the end of season 1 just to get enough points to cover the salary. I think I had about 1300pts at the start of season 2. It wasn't until around season 4/5 that I started to get a surplus and I think season 7 was the first season where I started the season with enough pts to cover the salary already. Must get back to it as I've left Domzale in Div 1 with about 4 games played I think, but I'm back in Norway at the moment, well figuratively if not literally. My new found striker scored his third in three games last match, all of which have been 1-0 wins.

Last edited:
Man this is tough.
Can't buy a win right now!
4 straight losses in the league,plus one in EL and a draw in Copa del Rey.
Guess it's old school TS messing with you.

Still loving it,and finding my manual passing suits this game very well
Also, seeing older players is kinda cool to.
Worst defeat I had so far was a 2-1 loss Vs Sporting Gijon,own goal in the 89th minute sealed the deal,not a reflection but me trying to clear a cross and banged it in far corner!

I remember when I played Pes 11 back when it came out, professional difficuty (2nd toughest,) were very scripted,actually got easier on TP.
Maybe I'll give that a go.
Next game is the Sevilla derby.
Ay ay...

Been playing WE9LE online with wildwind and the connection is great although we are two continents apart. Granted we both have good connections. So hey, if you guys want to try online, grab the files from post #1182 and get on the pitch:):BSCARF::BEER:

Last edited:
WE9LE PC patch. Again, the focus was on keeping the game default.

https://www46.zippyshare.com/v/vaZcLCJD/file.html
https://www46.zippyshare.com/v/EDi34iE3/file.html

Left the kitserver (faces&hair, stadiums, uni) out for now but i'll upload them seperately too. Let me know if you have any questions...

Edit 1: https://www46.zippyshare.com/v/XgUSYkKz/file.html (Faces, hair and boots)
Edit 2: https://www46.zippyshare.com/v/SD6bhSkU/file.html (uni)
Hope people enjoying this thread to join and play together online. We may have some tournament (world cup or league) if we have some more players.

A "Retro-PES Thread" World Cup would be nice, indeed.
Do you want to join?

@lazoli and I follow the 2018 World Cup bracket by using default db to play each other and just finished the first 2 tie. Portugal and France (lazoli) win. We will continue to play the knockout tomorrow.

That will be more interesting if 2 to 6 players would join and start our Retro-PES World Cup!!!

Back
Top Bottom