The Retro-PES Corner

Do you want to join?

@lazoli and I follow the 2018 World Cup bracket by using default db to play each other and just finished the first 2 tie. Portugal and France (lazoli) win. We will continue to play the knockout tomorrow.

That will be more interesting if 2 to 6 players would join and start our Retro-PES World Cup!!!

Yes, why not. How do we play online ? Never played online on the old PES.

WHY DID I NOT TRY PES3 EARLIER?!

Oh my god this game is literally perfect! Can't get over it. Everything seems to fall in place even more. Early 00s aestethic and football climate hits me so hard combined with some future funk and/or vaporwave in the background I truly feel like it's 2002 again or some stuff. It's like drugs, except all the bad parts are cut out.

Pro Evolution Soccer 3 30.06.2018 13_04_21.png

This looks like one of those posters from those football magazines for kids I would hang on the wall in my room 15+ years ago. Beautiful. Literally brings tears to my eyes. How can you create something so stunningly beautiful and simple at once? Although I guess 90% of my excitement comes from the fact it just brings back memories and damn I'm a bitch for some good blast from the past moments.

Immense stuff. And to think I've paid like 4€ for my copy of PES3, shipment costed me another 4€ :LOL:

Gameplay wise, this is so well-balanced. I am having tons of funs, and technically it's even less complicated than PES 5/6. With sweetfx all the textures and models look decent enough and camera tool I can get the exact camera setup I like. This is a match made in heaven.

Anyway I went on with my Commonwealth team, first season, it was chill cause I started on three stars out of five (***). Had some stumbles here and there, slowly adapting to the game. Eventually went on a streak of good wins, including humiliating league winners Longobardi both in league and league cup and climbing to second place at the end of the season. What now? Play-offs? It seems so to me after reading some in-game help.

Pro Evolution Soccer 3 30.06.2018 13_01_29.png
I have some nice recordings for you. Two really, really nice goals, which weren't exactly flashy but just felt like a legit football. No supermanship, no fancy crap, just average players climbing to their peak with some nice moves. First is Huylens grabbing Minanda's pass on time and nicely dodging the goalkeeper - I am so glad fake shot isn't as OP as in PES 5/6 I used to abuse it a lot. Second is Barota doing what I love the most - losing defender with one move and just smashing the ball thing past GK, leaving him entirely defenseless. See for yourself below:

And now the funny part, last minutes of D2 Cup final with Lisbonera. They scored early and I worked so hard to come back...finally equalised in 88th minute when Munteanu's shot bounced from the defender and went past helpless keeper, and then right away we steal the ball and counter them to death with Huylens dealing finishing blow. Played almost exactly as that CL final where United robbed Bayern from the trophy in last two minutes :LMAO: It was an excellent game!

In terms of negotiations, I've only grabbed quality Romanian attacker Vlad Munteanu earlier on, he led the charge against many teams, including devastating hat-trick against PES United. This victory started a series of good games that brought us up to second place. I have also concluded purchases of CMF Świerczewski, apparently best Polish player in the game, and CF Wichniarek to support Munteanu up front.

Damn I have to show my respect to default team though. In PES 5/6 they are utter whacks, unworthy of any attention. Here they really get their stuff done, and their good attributes really shine through. I see that especially in Castolo, total shithead in PES 5/6 I hate him so much he's not even really fast, but here his speed is visible and makes a huge difference, he has been as asset like never before for me.

Still, they will all be gone soon since I have a clear goal for a team in my mind. It's shame that Czech and Slovak players aren't licensed but oh well I'll grab some anyway. I think this team will mostly be Polish-Hungarian association of brotherhood and friendship. Seen a few good Hungarian players I might grab.

But this will take time. To finish this lengthy update off with a style, have a few nice pics in spoiler:

Pro Evolution Soccer 3 28.06.2018 19_39_32.png
Pro Evolution Soccer 3 30.06.2018 12_39_42.png
Pro Evolution Soccer 3 30.06.2018 13_03_55.png
Pro Evolution Soccer 3 30.06.2018 13_04_02.png

Thank yu for your attention. Please, if you can - go play goddamn PES3, you will not be disappointed. Absolute peak of simplicity and effectiveness combined in one game.

A pretty decent fact i would like to mention. Until PES 5 in individual settings where you assign attack/defence arrows Mark settings there were 3 option.Zone Marking,Man-to-Man and Covering which is pretty useful to assign to DMF in CMFs depending your formation and does completely what i want from the No 6 or No 8 of my team.Cover the gaps from the SBs or the CB that makes an overlap.Unfortunately from pes 6 and on this option disappeared and it was only zone Marking or man marking :(

@rockstrongo Great finish, gave the keeper no chance :LOL: I once scored one when boxed in near the corner flag I saw my other FB was open over the other side of the penalty area so I thought I'd be clever and play a long pass across to him. My player sliced it and stuck it in the far corner of the net :APPLAUD:

Yeah that's so true. I just remembered another I once did in a scramble in the goalmouth I panicked and hit long pass to clear whilst facing my own goal. It slammed against the post and flew back over my head and clear! Training ground move obviously :D

Yeah that's so true. I just remembered another I once did in a scramble in the goalmouth I panicked and hit long pass to clear whilst facing my own goal. It slammed against the post and flew back over my head and clear! Training ground move obviously :D
Fantastic:)

1. install WE9LE and Kitserver 5.6.0
2. install lazoli's patch
3. download lazoli network.cfg file and put it into kitserver folder
Now your game are ready to play online with same default db.
However, you need to wait for lazoli to start his server later for registration. His server is for PC.

I also never played retroPES online. We are both very enjoyable with our tight games today.

Just did that but when I tried to start the game with the we9le in @lazoili 's download it wouldn't start and said game isn't installed properly. I'd kept the original sany installer we9le.exe and tried that and the game started ok but I'm wondering if that's going to work ok.

I just tried network and it went through pre loading gdb etc all fine but then comes up to a enter registration code, is that right or I'm wondering is this maybe because of using the other we9le.exe? I guess i can get the code from the registry anyway but I haven't yet as I think it's because of the wrong .exe?

Not sure as I also never played it online.

Ah just read that bit about Lazoli starting his server for registration.

Last edited:
I just began playing PES 6 again, and I know I am about to unleash a very controversial statement, but is it me, or is the shooting awkwardly... bad?

Even the smallest tap of the shoot button makes the receiver of a pass send the ball flying off the pitch, and the aiming doesn't help either. Since the aiming doesn't automatically adjust to the goal's position, it's very hard to score at any angle other than the center. Basically I find it frustratingly difficult to play this game because of the shooting feeling very outdated, and I would like some help if needed.
Try R2 hold down when gauge shows for a controlled shot but I honestly feel the same :/

'08 PS2/PSP fixes this a little tho

First of all, every day is a blessing for me when I open my browser and catch up on what I haven't read yet here on our Corner. We're on fire!

@Anjin: Wish I had more likes to give, tremendous stuff there! Completely agreed with everything you said, but particularly with your observation on the enviornment retro-PES creates for us the players. It's like a time machine that travels to a simpler time. To me the future (why not the present already?) of retro-PES, whether it's PES3/5/6 which seem to be the more popular retro ones, could be the same as the Pokemon games from the Game Boy - a highly "patchable" platform, accesible for anyone to edit it every single bit of the game, a solid gameplay that just works - regardless of whether one thinks it's realistic or not, the fact is you get an enjoyable experience out of it every single time you play it - and graphics that have that beautiful retro appeal.
To me it's strange that PES3 particularly doesn't have a gigantic following, considering it has much less teams on it, therefore making it a platform more suitable for amateur editing.

And yeah, these games cost so little it's unbelievable. Retro-PES is currently the "deal of the century", I'm beginning to believe.

-
Regarding the idea of a Retro-PES World Cup, I absolutely support it! Going to install everything later on - thanks again @lazoli - and see if I can join in. My idea is, we could set up a date for a competition (say, after the end of the real-life WC), build up expectation for it with a few online friendlies (while of course reporting about it here on the thread), get enough time to bring in more players and then set up a proper calendar of randomized (as in, not the same as in WC2018) fixtures, groups...also we'd let people choose whatever NT they wanted. What do you guys think?

Pes5: Aaand.. I'm hooked again.

I've lost an incredible number of games while experimenting with modules and changing position to players.. while it's true that in this edition cpu attacking is pretty atrocious, when your team cohesion is still this low and your players are as bad as our beloved guys are at the beginning, there is no doubt they'll find a way to score to you anyway.. a corner kick, a dirty shoot, a counterattack in which nobody can recover in time, an error of poor Ivarov.. just completed the first round and I've seen it all.. plenty of crossbars, posts and failed chances for me too in the same time. I still have a score to settle with Frey, legendary french goalkeeper that here looked unbeatable.. he did at least like 5-6 literal miracles in my three games against Fiorentina (they knock me out of the D2 Cup too.. what a surprise :D).

So I was in a serious bad streak, but luckily I won my last game before the market pause against Palermo. Last ten minutes, 0-0, Espimas shoot from outside, ball deviated by a defender only to be controlled by Ordaz that beats their keeper from a few meters.. the adrenaline rush made me do my best imitation of southamerican commentators while the young spanish was celebrating :D.

I need a monumental effort to be promoted as I've really fall behind; but now it's market time. A lot of the true original guys respawned in this session (Celnini, Njorgo, Kelsen and Barota among the others) and it will be hard for me to not immediately pick some of them, even if my finances are truly bad but as already said, after all it's part of the fun.. knowing that every single match is important to not go game over makes it even more rewarding to play.

p.s. I've probably already praised enough the magic of this thread but I'll do it once more.. if I knew that they'd take it the right way, I'd say that some Konami executive should have a look at it.. way more explicative than any detailed argument.

First of all, every day is a blessing for me when I open my browser and catch up on what I haven't read yet here on our Corner. We're on fire!

@Anjin: Wish I had more likes to give, tremendous stuff there! Completely agreed with everything you said, but particularly with your observation on the enviornment retro-PES creates for us the players. It's like a time machine that travels to a simpler time. To me the future (why not the present already?) of retro-PES, whether it's PES3/5/6 which seem to be the more popular retro ones, could be the same as the Pokemon games from the Game Boy - a highly "patchable" platform, accesible for anyone to edit it every single bit of the game, a solid gameplay that just works - regardless of whether one thinks it's realistic or not, the fact is you get an enjoyable experience out of it every single time you play it - and graphics that have that beautiful retro appeal.
To me it's strange that PES3 particularly doesn't have a gigantic following, considering it has much less teams on it, therefore making it a platform more suitable for amateur editing.

And yeah, these games cost so little it's unbelievable. Retro-PES is currently the "deal of the century", I'm beginning to believe.

-
Regarding the idea of a Retro-PES World Cup, I absolutely support it! Going to install everything later on - thanks again @lazoli - and see if I can join in. My idea is, we could set up a date for a competition (say, after the end of the real-life WC), build up expectation for it with a few online friendlies (while of course reporting about it here on the thread), get enough time to bring in more players and then set up a proper calendar of randomized (as in, not the same as in WC2018) fixtures, groups...also we'd let people choose whatever NT they wanted. What do you guys think?
Since I don't own a PS2 (yet) and won't be attending,still think it's a good idea.
One thought is that you see how many that are on board for this and then make a ranking of the teams.

10 players attending =ten best team in the game,or 10 worst.
Just a suggestion
It's a good idea having a WC,maybe in the future,get a league going?
Trading players etc?
Man I got to get a PS2!
You're ruining my leisure time Boys!

@Madmac79 how and why. I would never subject myself to the pain of PES 5/6 default team again. This is pure masochism. I admire the courage, but at the same time intense flashbacks in my head make me wanna hide in a wardrobe and never come out until those default team cunts just go away and never return.

It's really not easy. It left some scars in me you know what I mean. :(
Thanks God they ain't as terrible in PES 3.

Speaking of PES3, I got through that play-off thing and it was lovely to be honest. Quickly disposed of Museumplein and Prague (1:0 each, they were USELESS), but Longobardi got their revenge and won our final match. I think I consider them my rivals now since we've had tons of intense games and they're good but I am better and I will prove it every single time.

Steam 30.06.2018 18_07_03.png

Master League rivalries. You don't need no shitty mechanics for this when you can make'em up in yer own head :D

Anyway we Eastern League Division 1 now, I was all over the place during negotiations. Sold a lot of people, managed to get a few. Damn why does even Świerczewski have such a great stats, I don't remember him being this good. Whatever, he's my CMF and Captain now. Grand Hetman-Ataman Field Marshall of the Commonwealth, if you will. Managed to grab few other guys here, four (i can math) Poles (GK Kuszczak, CB/DMF Bąk, SMF Dawidowski, CF Wichniarek), a Magyar (SMF Low), and Ukrainian OMF Serebrennikov. It's not bad! Made tons of monies off Minanda and Espimas ass so I went into new season with 20k in the bank already. I will be making signings, tons of them in the new season and Chivu is my goal #1.

Also bumped up difficulty to four stars, might go to five in a few games gotta see how things pan out.

Steam 30.06.2018 18_29_55.png

Played three opening games so far and damn we have rough calendar at the start. First, title defenders - grand Ruhr themselves. I have noticed our teamwork took a huge dip after exchanging entire squad and it was showing. We were all over the place and lost 0:1. Next game against Weser - another tough team - and we were leading for almost entire game thanks to Vladdi Boi's quick thenking in the box but Świerczewski horribly misplaced a pass in the back late in the game and Ailton impaled us. Still, we got a point.

Commonwealth's historical victory in Div1 came in third game against Westfalen. First Świerczewski finished off team's nice passing play with a top corner bombshot, and then in the second half his corner kick pass thing got perfectly finished off by Wichniarek's head. Westfalen pushed, and damn they pushed hard, but to no avail, and we win.

I don't know what to expect, would love to grab 6th place and take part in WEFA comps next season but who knows what will happen?

I have to commend PES 3 even more. Had some crazy funny stuff happen in last games, like Prague's GK just slide tackle and bring Munteanu down in 1v1 (yellow card only!) and other random silliness. It just makes the game feel so much more human. Random errors, weird ass situations, things that just happen in real football all the time. One lovely thing I've noticed now is that goalies aren't just invincible in the air as in PES 5/6. Had tons of situations where they got pushed back or couldn't reach the ball at all. Makes for a much more chaotic, and that always means fun corner and free kicks, I find myself trying to lob the ball inside the box more often since it can produce something, if not a goal then at least I might get a good laugh off it :D

Quite the opposite than current-gen PES, but why bother? Miss me with that 4k shite, i have Rekordmeister and Longobardi to beat!

Last edited:
@mattmid: That's an interesting idea, each player picking more than one team. For example, I'd pick Portugal as my main "bet" for winning the competition, but would also pick a weaker one like Latvia or Venezuela as my 2nd team just for the fun. Either that or, depending on how many players we can get, we play a shorter World Cup (just 8/12 teams or something like that) - one team for each player.

@Anjin: Just saw your post, great as stuff as always. Forgot to say that yesterday you inspired me to fire up PES3 for a friendly match and it's amazing. Using Milan vs. Juventus, loads of individuality for each player - while I'm speaking, Edgar Davids is still in the stadium chasing opponents around - and a 1-0 final score for me thanks to a Shevchenko header (the header animation blew me away, so well done). Promised @WhoAteMeDinner a few months ago I'd finally play a ML on PES3 after almost 15 years since my last one, so in the near future I'll have to do it - and I'm so looking forward to!

Promised @WhoAteMeDinner a few months ago I'd finally play a ML on PES3 after almost 15 years since my last one, so in the near future I'll have to do it - and I'm so looking forward to!

Oh you better be getting around being doing that I cannot be the only one.

Besides this whole thread of yours made me spent 8, eight euros!! on the damn game, four of which was the game itself another four went to pay for the shipment, tl;dr you practically owe me eight euros thats a fortune we speak of!

Mega silly rantings (my specialty) aside, do it, and bring some pictures on if possible. We need this. Retro train must keep going on.

@Madmac79 how and why. I would never subject myself to the pain of PES 5/6 default team again. This is pure masochism. I admire the courage, but at the same time intense flashbacks in my head make me wanna hide in a wardrobe and never come out until those default team cunts just go away and never return.

It's really not easy. It left some scars in me you know what I mean. :(
Thanks God they ain't as terrible in PES 3.

Speaking of PES3, I got through that play-off thing and it was lovely to be honest. Quickly disposed of Museumplein and Prague (1:0 each, they were USELESS), but Longobardi got their revenge and won our final match. I think I consider them my rivals now since we've had tons of intense games and they're good but I am better and I will prove it every single time.

View attachment 4903

Master League rivalries. You don't need no shitty mechanics for this when you can make'em up in yer own head :D

Anyway we Eastern League Division 1 now, I was all over the place during negotiations. Sold a lot of people, managed to get a few. Damn why does even Świerczewski have such a great stats, I don't remember him being this good. Whatever, he's my CMF and Captain now. Grand Hetman-Ataman Field Marshall of the Commonwealth, if you will. Managed to grab few other guys here, four (i can math) Poles (GK Kuszczak, CB/DMF Bąk, SMF Dawidowski, CF Wichniarek), a Magyar (SMF Low), and Ukrainian OMF Serebrennikov. It's not bad! Made tons of monies off Minanda and Espimas ass so I went into new season with 20k in the bank already. I will be making signings, tons of them in the new season and Chivu is my goal #1.

Also bumped up difficulty to four stars, might go to five in a few games gotta see how things pan out.

View attachment 4904

Played three opening games so far and damn we have rough calendar at the start. First, title defenders - grand Ruhr themselves. I have noticed our teamwork took a huge dip after exchanging entire squad and it was showing. We were all over the place and lost 0:1. Next game against Weser - another tough team - and we were leading for almost entire game thanks to Vladdi Boi's quick thenking in the box but Świerczewski horribly misplaced a pass in the back late in the game and Ailton impaled us. Still, we got a point.

Commonwealth's historical victory in Div1 came in third game against Westfalen. First Świerczewski finished off team's nice passing play with a top corner bombshot, and then in the second half his corner kick pass thing got perfectly finished off by Wichniarek's head. Westfalen pushed, and damn they pushed hard, but to no avail, and we win.

I don't know what to expect, would love to grab 6th place and take part in WEFA comps next season but who knows what will happen?

I have to commend PES 3 even more. Had some crazy funny stuff happen in last games, like Prague's GK just slide tackle and bring Munteanu down in 1v1 (yellow card only!) and other random silliness. It just makes the game feel so much more human. Random errors, weird ass situations, things that just happen in real football all the time. One lovely thing I've noticed now is that goalies aren't just invincible in the air as in PES 5/6. Had tons of situations where they got pushed back or couldn't reach the ball at all. Makes for a much more chaotic, and that always means fun corner and free kicks, I find myself trying to lob the ball inside the box more often since it can produce something, if not a goal then at least I might get a good laugh off it :D

Quite the opposite than current-gen PES, but why bother? Miss me with that 4k shite, i have Rekordmeister and Longobardi to beat!

Oh yeh @Anjin , try the long ball :l1: and :circle: hoof from your centre back about ten yards outside your box, when you have just won the ball back, it is a very effective fast break weapon in PES 3. Unlike all the other games where the keepers are flawless and totally unrealistic.:NONO::NONO::NONO:

Just did that but when I tried to start the game with the we9le in @lazoili 's download it wouldn't start and said game isn't installed properly. I'd kept the original sany installer we9le.exe and tried that and the game started ok but I'm wondering if that's going to work ok.

I just tried network and it went through pre loading gdb etc all fine but then comes up to a enter registration code, is that right or I'm wondering is this maybe because of using the other we9le.exe? I guess i can get the code from the registry anyway but I haven't yet as I think it's because of the wrong .exe?

Not sure as I also never played it online.

Ah just read that bit about Lazoli starting his server for registration.

Server is up now so you should be able to register. Then in game just enter the password you created while registration with a (-)in between. So let’s say if your username is mattmid on there and password is 123, your password will be mattmid-123... Hope it’s clear.

@Anjin: Damn it, I knew this idea of setting up a Retro-PES thread would eventually haunt me and my wallet! I know I should've put a disclaimer in the first post of the thread: "Attention: these games are highly addictive. Please consult your doctor if any these symptoms persist:
- you're considering acquiring an old (fat) TV to create a true retro-gaming station;
- you're actually having fun using the ML defaults;
- you're compulsively visiting the Retro-PES Corner thread to catch up on what's new."

@lazoli: I still haven't downloaded your stuff, going to use my other PC for that.

--
All this time I've had to play ISS Pro Evolution (PS1) on an emulator on the PSP, not aware that I still had the PS1 disk itself in a box containing also PES2 (PS1). Though it plays well on the portable, it's always better on a TV because of the screen.

Fired up a friendly match Portugal vs Uruguay to see if I could avenge our WC defeat...

2joav0o.jpg

In case you didn't recognize the players by looking at their faces...
jkF5u0Zg.jpg

Everytime I play ISS I've used mostly the broadcast cam, however tried the Wide one and it's just beautiful. It seems I can only get along with football games as long as they have a camera that just...works. And this one certainly does, works better than the broadcast one because of the 4:3 resolution which allows you to see the pitch better (and see more players too).

TUVCa2v.jpg

I think I'll be using this picture - alongside a few screenshots of PES2/3/4/5/6 matches - to prove to my grandkids that a loong time ago, there used to exist football games with fouls on it. And by the way, this was a 10 min. match.
F. Cutto was supposed to be our best defender by far but Haldel stole the show. Fego was a shadow of himself out there, expected much better out of Rui Casta too. The only one who stood out was Ponto Vera (my much younger self took many years to understand who Ponto Vera actually was in real life...) with his agility on the ball.

Now that I've found yet another retro-Pearl for my PS2 - though it's actually a PS1 game -, I have yet another problem...I've too many great games to play!

Well, that problem could be fixed, all it takes is to listen to this song before deciding on it:

@lazoli: Just downloaded the both parts of your patch and the network.cfg file but I can't open neither of those files, it says "the archive is either in unknown format or damaged". I was able to get the original WE9LE and the kitserver too though.

@lazoli: Just downloaded the both parts of your patch and the network.cfg file but I can't open neither of those files, it says "the archive is either in unknown format or damaged". I was able to get the original WE9LE and the kitserver too though.

Hey miguelfcp. I checked the files I uploaded and I don’t get that error message. I recommend you redownload them:)

well im getting fmcb soon so gonna test PES1-6 with gs mode selector on 576p to see if it works, if not i will try other, interlaced res

will report back the results

The definitive soundtrack for all PES games, mangaesque, catchie and a beautiful cutscene entrance sequence in Japanese style too. :LOVE::LOVE::LOVE: My love for this game is boundless. (Think my pal @fmicablues7 , has this wonderful tune running on a loop in his gaff :D).

Last edited:
@Anjin: Damn it, I knew this idea of setting up a Retro-PES thread would eventually haunt me and my wallet! I know I should've put a disclaimer in the first post of the thread: "Attention: these games are highly addictive. Please consult your doctor if any these symptoms persist:
- you're considering acquiring an old (fat) TV to create a true retro-gaming station;
- you're actually having fun using the ML defaults;
- you're compulsively visiting the Retro-PES Corner thread to catch up on what's new."

@lazoli: I still haven't downloaded your stuff, going to use my other PC for that.

--
All this time I've had to play ISS Pro Evolution (PS1) on an emulator on the PSP, not aware that I still had the PS1 disk itself in a box containing also PES2 (PS1). Though it plays well on the portable, it's always better on a TV because of the screen.

Fired up a friendly match Portugal vs Uruguay to see if I could avenge our WC defeat...

2joav0o.jpg

In case you didn't recognize the players by looking at their faces...
jkF5u0Zg.jpg

Everytime I play ISS I've used mostly the broadcast cam, however tried the Wide one and it's just beautiful. It seems I can only get along with football games as long as they have a camera that just...works. And this one certainly does, works better than the broadcast one because of the 4:3 resolution which allows you to see the pitch better (and see more players too).

TUVCa2v.jpg

I think I'll be using this picture - alongside a few screenshots of PES2/3/4/5/6 matches - to prove to my grandkids that a loong time ago, there used to exist football games with fouls on it. And by the way, this was a 10 min. match.
F. Cutto was supposed to be our best defender by far but Haldel stole the show. Fego was a shadow of himself out there, expected much better out of Rui Casta too. The only one who stood out was Ponto Vera (my much younger self took many years to understand who Ponto Vera actually was in real life...) with his agility on the ball.

Now that I've found yet another retro-Pearl for my PS2 - though it's actually a PS1 game -, I have yet another problem...I've too many great games to play!

Well, that problem could be fixed, all it takes is to listen to this song before deciding on it:

@miguelfcp , the Wide camera angle is all I have ever played PES games (until using Birds-Eye or Ant Vision as I call it in PES 6 :SHOCK:) and can't play with any smaller resolution as you need to see as much of the play as possible.

Back
Top Bottom