The Retro-PES Corner

I got started with football video games on Winning Eleven 10 (PES6) because my cousins used to take their PS2 to my grandparents' house when we'd go on Sundays, with a copy of this classic of course, and my dad loved playing with them, I played too sometimes, but I wasn't very good at it, though I still loved it. I didn't have a PS2 at home, but my dad got us a used PS1 to play around that time, with Winning Eleven 2002, a bunch of copies of it to be more specific, the counterfeit market was huge in Brazil, alongside patches, one disk had national teams, the other had European clubs, and the last one had Brazilian clubs... I loved those disks, especially the one with Brazilian clubs, and to my surprise the editing community for Winning Eleven 2002 is still strong, though that tends to be the case with installments that ended their console era... Winning Eleven 2002, PES6, PES2013 and PES2021... I love the editing community so much!

Over the last few months, I got more into handhelds, as I really wanted a PSP as a kid, and got a GBA that never did much for me because the screen was a real pain to see... anyways when I replaced my smartphone, and was thinking of what to do with my older one, whose battery was already failing, I decided to get one of those smartphone controllers that pretty much turn them into a knockoff Nintendo Switch, a console I'm really interested in... and it's been working.

When I was thinking of what ROMs I could play to really take advantage of my new MOCUTE-060 controller, I decided that it made sense to go for something that I struggled to play with just the on screen controls most emulators have, and football video games are among those, I just need buttons, I can only play a ROM with on screen controls when it's something slow or turn based, otherwise it's quite uncomfortable, no idea how mobile football video games took off...

Anyways, PS2 didn't run very well, at all, this is a 2019 mid range smartphone though, so I shouldn't expect much... though thankfully PSP ran well, and most PSP PES stuff is really similar to the PS2, so it's been good. However, where I'm really having fun is with Winning Eleven 2002 ROMs, it's incredible how the community for this installment is so active, dedicated and creative even today, I've found patches for quite obscure tournaments, retro patches, even for some Brazilian youth team competitions, there's so much to unpack here! I'm mostly playing the 2021 Brazilian clubs patch by the WE Legends team, it's really well made and it has my favorite Coritiba F.C. squad from the last few years, and my favorite kits too. I'm surprised at how this 20 year old installment does such a good job at replicating football, the A.I. closing down spaces and scoring varied goals, how it forces you to do different things, how stats matter... everything!

Attachments

• photo1689178224.jpeg
    photo1689178224.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 53
Just recently installed PES 2013, any recommendations for a patch?
I recommend Smoke Patch Blue (available here)

Easy install and quite complete. I was using PESEdit before, but for some reason it's quite buggy. Whenever I use the league/2nd division switchers, the game crashes and other bugs appear, which is strange because it didn't happen before. In anycase, Smoke Patch Blue is a good alternative, and it's worked pretty well and stable for me so far. :TU:

Attachments

• faces.png
    faces.png
    501.5 KB · Views: 69
  • faces1.png
    faces1.png
    409.5 KB · Views: 68
  • faces2.png
    faces2.png
    400.2 KB · Views: 68
They look amazing and easily recognizable, i cannot believe an engine of more than fifteen years ago can be so robust regarding simulation 👏
Yeah this era of PES faces was wonderful. It was the perfect blend of stylised & realistic. I also loved the face makers faces from this era ad they tried to get their modded faces as close to this art style as possible. @Alegor is one of the best who still makes faces for PES 6 & his facs look like they could've been created by Konami themselves.

I've reinstalled PES 4. Again. For like the 111th time.
I don't know why but I can't stay away from the games of that era for too long, no matter how hard I try. 😅

EDIT: PES 5 too. I think it's because I watched @Marlon Anthony's "Champion of the World" video again.

Last edited:
I don't know why but I can't stay away from the games of that era for too long, no matter how hard I try. 😅

EDIT: PES 5 too. I think it's because I watched @Marlon Anthony's "Champion of the World" video again.

I have the same feeling. If someday I'll need to update Windows to a newer version or to upgrade my PC, it's a must to have installed all games between PES 3 and 2013 plus those best seasonal PES6 patches until 2023. Those games were so ahead of that time with so much action on the field, the AI feels so natural, challenging and balanced at the same time, tactics and decisions have a meaning, all modes are fun, and overall it's a a great experience between arcade/simulation. Played more of PES6 Season 2002-03 by @Dreamfinder today and I've had a memorable derby match between AC Milan - Juventus:

Clipboard01.jpg

I'm playing with AC Milan in Serie A during 2002-03, scored the first goal 1-0, then Juventus turned the score 2-1 in the second half, then again I've scored 2 goals during the 80 minutes, and just before the end Juventus surprised me with a 3-3. We've been mostly equal on possession, shots, fouls, actions, lots of rival duel battles on the midfield between Gattuso and Davids with faults (but was just one card), so captivating. Those are memorable moments that you can't experience in those modern FOX versions. Playing PS2 and PS3 versions for so many years and I never get bored because everything works great and feels like football...

Guys, I've been looking high and low for a PES 2008 PC camera mod but haven't been able to find any! Do you guys know if a mod was ever made? I'd like to play the games with "wide" screen configuration but more zoomed out. Thanks in advance!

I understand you perfectly!

I can go a few months without those PES, but when I go back to playing them it's as if I rediscover them all over again.
There is a random component in the tackles, in the ball's bounce, a feeling that still leads me to see new situations today.

This is why I call them timeless.

Hey - Just wanting to know:

For the PC version of PES3 - PES6, Are the official patches (Fixes) required? And if so does anyone have links to these?

Hey guys,

I have a Goals Compilation coming out at 2pm (UK) today :)).

I hope those of you who take a look enjoy this one. It features a mix mix of PS1, PS2 & PC PES games.

Brilliant, can I ask what game was the Maradona wondergoal scored on? The one where he cut inside and faked to shoot twice before scoring?

Hey - Just wanting to know:

For the PC version of PES3 - PES6, Are the official patches (Fixes) required? And if so does anyone have links to these?
I do think that PES 3 and PES 4 got updated/fixed during their lifetime, but I can't remember an update patch for PES 5 and PES 6.

Well, PES 3 and PES 4 got updated for sure... The patches are available on ModDB:
https://www.moddb.com/games/pro-evolution-soccer-3/downloads
https://www.moddb.com/games/pro-evolution-soccer-4/downloads

Brilliant, can I ask what game was the Maradona wondergoal scored on? The one where he cut inside and faked to shoot twice before scoring?
Thank you for watching the vid 🙂. That goal is from a ps2 PES 5 Legends patch called eFootball legends. Would you like a link for it?

I've finally got back into retro PES and currently playing PES6. One minor thing I am struggling with his how sensitive the power gauge is when shooting and passing. It's insanely sensitive. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this or a way to edit it?

I've finally got back into retro PES and currently playing PES6. One minor thing I am struggling with his how sensitive the power gauge is when shooting and passing. It's insanely sensitive. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this or a way to edit it?
The shooting is notoriously one of the most frustrating and inconsistent elements of PES 6, even if you tap the shoot button, your shots can just fly up and rise inexplicably. Context of your players does help if you keep their positioning and any pressure on them in mind but I find PES 6's shooting to be a lot more random than in PES 5 and PES 2008 (PS2).

Just one of those things one of the most popular PES games is burdened with unfortunately.

The shooting is notoriously one of the most frustrating and inconsistent elements of PES 6, even if you tap the shoot button, your shots can just fly up and rise inexplicably. Context of your players does help if you keep their positioning and any pressure on them in mind but I find PES 6's shooting to be a lot more random than in PES 5 and PES 2008 (PS2).

Just one of those things one of the most popular PES games is burdened with unfortunately.
Yep , in particular I've noticed that if a defender slides when you go to shoot, nearly always your shot will fly up and over.

Hello, I need your help (who understands editing).

I downloaded a patch for BillyKong's Winning Eleven J-League 2007.
Apparently everything is translated and logos for clubs and leagues have been added, but unfortunately it has added Champions League adboards and scoreabord.
Captura de tela 2023-07-19 233248.png
How do I restore, put exactly the originals?
Yes, I tried to open the Iso with GGS, the problem is that I have no idea where the files are. So if anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Hello, I need your help (who understands editing).

I downloaded a patch for BillyKong's Winning Eleven J-League 2007.
Apparently everything is translated and logos for clubs and leagues have been added, but unfortunately it has added Champions League adboards and scoreabord.
How do I restore, put exactly the originals?
Yes, I tried to open the Iso with GGS, the problem is that I have no idea where the files are. So if anyone can help me I would appreciate it.
Hi. I don’t remember the exact file locations, but the scoreboard will be in J_TEXT.afs probably around the 180/190 file and the adboards will be in 0_TEXT.afs towards the end of the file structure but just before where the stadiums start.

Hi. I don’t remember the exact file locations, but the scoreboard will be in J_TEXT.afs probably around the 180/190 file and the adboards will be in 0_TEXT.afs towards the end of the file structure but just before where the stadiums start.
Hello friend.
The adboards I found. They are at 10014 onwards.
- Some of the cups were very good, I intend to keep them.
Now, the scoreboard, after a lot of searching, I only found it at 00008.
The patch was excellent (just a few details, which I prefer to keep from the original J-League).
Remembering that I'm not an editor of the PS2 versions. lol

For me, the best J-League is the Winning Eleven 10 Club Championship version. If you have any improvements, and want to share, I will be eternally grateful.

Once again, thank you for your attention.

View attachment 218739

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with PES 2013 PESEdit selector (I am using 3.8 version, which I think is the most widely used patch).

Whenever I try to switch leagues/2nd divisions by clicking on the image, the selector crashes and exits. Is anyone else having this problem, and/or knows how to fix it?

Thanks in advance. :TU:
I have exactly the same problem, does anyone know how to solve it?

Here's a question to all fellow Spanish-speaking users. :) (tagging @RiquelmeXeneizeLegendario @marqisspes6 @Kenaykix @diego_m10)

What is your favorite "South American Spanish" commentary (could be Chilean, Argentinean, Peruvian, Colombian, etc) for PES 6? I've found several in etherovamon's thread, plus others around the web, but I'd like to know which one do you think is highest quality, (even if it's outside the ones mentioned here)! Muchas gracias! :TU:

PS: I would post this in the "Spanish only" thread, but would like to post it here for greater visibility.

Here's a question to all fellow Spanish-speaking users. :) (tagging @RiquelmeXeneizeLegendario @marqisspes6 @Kenaykix @diego_m10)

What is your favorite "South American Spanish" commentary (could be Chilean, Argentinean, Peruvian, Colombian, etc) for PES 6? I've found several in etherovamon's thread, plus others around the web, but I'd like to know which one do you think is highest quality, (even if it's outside the ones mentioned here)! Muchas gracias! :TU:

PS: I would post this in the "Spanish only" thread, but would like to post it here for greater visibility.

If im honest i don't play pes6 since 4 years ago at least and never been a fan of south american football so I can't really provide a good answer on this

My advice to you is to try to think how you play football in real life: you would not shoot unless you are facing the goal, have good balance, have controlled the ball first and you have got it at the right distance from your feet, and have got some space between you and the defenders. If these conditions, shots in PES5/6 are relatively consistent and easy to make. The fewer of these conditions and shots become more erratic and only the best (in game) players can achieve a minimum of consistency, irrespective of your skill level

League table after 15 rounds.
bandicam 2023-07-23 23-27-28-548.jpgbandicam 2023-07-23 23-27-32-538.jpgbandicam 2023-07-23 23-27-34-243.jpg

Goals/Assists
bandicam 2023-07-23 23-27-41-151.jpgbandicam 2023-07-23 23-27-44-592.jpgbandicam 2023-07-23 23-27-45-902.jpgbandicam 2023-07-23 23-27-48-054.jpg

Transfers/new players :

Valencia : D. Navarro out-Djukic in
Bayern : Santa Cruz out-Makaay in
Zickler out-Klose in
Parma : Sartor out-Zaccardo in
Fioremtina : Dainelli in
Arsenal : Lauren out-Platt in

Fiorentina still at first place, with most wins (10), and only team in the league without a draw (10w-5L). Aguero is top scorer at the moment, and we have Nani and Mihajlovic with 4 assists, leading assist category. There have been some great matches, my favorite is Inter-Bayern 3:4 and Lazio-Bayern 0-1, with 11 "red" Lazio players, but on the other side was Sepp Maier... Next report will be "half season" report, with some goals...

Attachments

• bandicam 2023-07-23 23-27-41-151.jpg
    bandicam 2023-07-23 23-27-41-151.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom