The Retro-PES Corner

Hi guys, I am pleased to note that the topic is always very active.

In this regard, I would like to ask you for some advice.
Over the years I have tried almost all pes titles, just like you, but I have a memory of many of them faded by time.

It's no secret my love for PES 5 and its gameplay dynamics, and so I ask you what do you think is a title (earlier or later, it doesn't matter), which has similar characteristics and an equally solid base.
I would go with pes 2011

Yes it's the same feeling and system for multiples reasons, simple but solid.

-AI: without too much "variety/special moves" both from your Teammates as well for the CPU that may causes issue (like PES 5, in fact the AI mechanics are simple) but very solid, but simple. Like PES 5.
-Dribbling, even if it's more than 8 directions : i counted more than 16 without running : now 64 or 32... I don't know/care at all it's OK and better, got the same feeling aswell as everything when you moves players (i will talk about it later).
-Kicking in general : shooting ball feels the same "weight", the passing got the same feeling of strength and a bit heavy ball
-About individualites in stats, it's the same as PES 5 : less pronounced but just what's needed for a good balance.
-Inertia and physics got their algorithm enhanced a bit, is perhaps a bit more pronounced so slower than PES 5, they added algorthim to fits with the "360" (or more than 8 directions, i counted around 32 without running)... But if they didn't, it would be too easy to create chances and scores from + positions.

Strategy are a bit different, but there's one thing you could forget like the incomprehensible 90 minutes with instructions for the 15 first minutes, then the rest etc.
Probably the less useful stuff added since forever.

In brief, it's a game which is like PES 5, is bringing a new solid base, but pretty simple to play and without "fantasies" let's say.

@Madmac79 About PES 2012 > 2011-12 season as i'm the same as you : i don't like next season patch, i still got the 2012 4.1 and 4.1.1 fixes Installer from PESEDIT (last 2011-12 version). I kept every last patch they created, from 2010 to 2014.
Didn't checked if @H_G send it on his link. Can upload it if you still don't have it mate.

@vialli82 thanks a lot, that would be really great man! Haven't seen it anywhere else to be honest. Loads of teams and kits from that season I'd like to revisit (especially my Lazio with her last Puma shirt which is one of my favourites)

Take your sweet time ;)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/avtlrjsulnxds1p/PESEdit.com_2012_Patch_4.1-4.1.1.zip/file

No prob @Madmac79 i cleaned up my Mediafire account as it's uploading super fast, and i got time.

You know how to install (erase kitserver from old patch etc., PESEDIT got automatic installers > easy). Have fun mate :)
Now, the stupid question of the day. My PES 2012 stopped working after a patch-unpatch, says some dll is missing, so i must uninstall game and re-install, but i will go for an abondonware installation, my DVD-rom is n't working since months. :shiver:

So, long story short/long :P

Can i install 4.1 straight to a vanilla version? Or i must have 4.0 and the rest previous versions??? IIRC PESEDIT were AIO versions, after a point in time.

Hi guys, I am pleased to note that the topic is always very active.

In this regard, I would like to ask you for some advice.
Over the years I have tried almost all pes titles, just like you, but I have a memory of many of them faded by time.

It's no secret my love for PES 5 and its gameplay dynamics, and so I ask you what do you think is a title (earlier or later, it doesn't matter), which has similar characteristics and an equally solid base.
I would argue PES 2010 is close to PES 5 in terms of feel and philosophy. It's the mainline PES to have those classic PS2 mechanisms before 2011 onwards introduced more modernised mechanics. The art style aimed for photorealsm, the ball physics are heavy and satisfying & the animations are just incredible.

The only downside of PES 2010 is that there's next to no fouls & the crowd chant/ambiance is really poor although it would get hilariously bad in PES 2011.

Now, the stupid question of the day. My PES 2012 stopped working after a patch-unpatch, says some dll is missing, so i must uninstall game and re-install, but i will go for an abondonware installation, my DVD-rom is n't working since months. :shiver:

So, long story short/long :P

Can i install 4.1 straight to a vanilla version? Or i must have 4.0 and the rest previous versions??? IIRC PESEDIT were AIO versions, after a point in time.
PESEDIT includes DLC and the EXE no-dvd too, don't need to change anything mate.
They were very pro and their patch very plug'n'play style.

About PES 2010 is PES 5 lookalike, i'm sorry but it's the opposite in so many things, i don't understand how did you get to that conclusion "closer to PES 5 philosophy" lol, to me it's not a bad game with the recoil, but apart and completely opposite philosophy.

First, talking about the game itself without PES 5 : Art style for lighting is the better of the series, it's what i said in the other thread "Artistic vs Technology". Lighting technology very advanced with his own autonomy vs Lighting technically far less advanced, but artistic side texture added for photorealism. Artistic vs Technology wins, "From Software style".

Now about VS PES 5 I can made a list but it will be very long, from shoot always on target the pressing far less agressive, AI more moving in every sides (opening spaces vs strict instructions), shoot on target too often on target even with low Shoot Technique, Physicality overall, Header way easier etc.
Also feint WAY too easy to do vs even PES 6, tons of fouls (too much for some people) etc.

Just open the game, and push 3 times forward when your running. You'll see a feint that happen once in a season so easy to do in game, that it literally disgusted me for the game at lauch lol, as they moved double tap R1 for big run, and i tried running old school as both where OK on PES 08 and 09.

Last edited:
Ah okay, didn't saw where you mentioned it. I hate gameplay patchs so thanks for the others lol. But never tried one from PS3 2011-2013 version. Ah yes, one for 2013 version, to me it was even more catastrophic and weird to play. 2012 got perhaps a better treatement.
PES 2014 pc was the only one that i kinda liked some gameplay patches; But it's like FIFA 23 : when there's a lot to change, it's easier to make it better with gameplay patches.

In my case, for PS2 at least if i want a good PES 6 version, i play JL2007cc for example. If i don't like one version, i'll pass, like PES 2016.

Ah okay, didn't saw where you mentioned it. I hate gameplay patchs so thanks for the others lol. But never tried one from PS3 2011-2013 version. Ah yes, one for 2013 version, to me it was even more catastrophic and weird to play. 2012 got perhaps a better treatement.
PES 2014 pc was the only one that i kinda liked some gameplay patches; But it's like FIFA 23 : when there's a lot to change, it's easier to make it better with gameplay patches.

In my case, for PS2 at least if i want a good PES 6 version, i play JL2007cc for example. If i don't like one version, i'll pass, like PES 2016.
Since now Efootball is an online game, let's hope there will be new retro gameplay patchs

Yes, for PC gamers. I'm not, so personally i'm finishing some editing O.F. mixed with patches, 2 if i still got the courage... But it's too much time taking.
Perhaps only one league or two from PES 21 then i'm done with editing and all.
And will mix old PS2 with new gen game + PS4 upgraded games i got on PS5, a pile i should play instead of loosing my time on 20 years old games full of errors i decided to restore at 99%.

I like football games, but i don't care about the real sports any more, lesser and lesser and since the crisis i completely lost interest. Don't even know the new good players, and i don't care.
I liked when it was less aseptic and more manly, more charisma and real teams which stayed 5+ years the same with small changes etc.

About PES 2010 is PES 5 lookalike, i'm sorry but it's the opposite in so many things, i don't understand how did you get to that conclusion "closer to PES 5 philosophy" lol, to me it's not a bad game with the recoil, but apart and completely opposite philosophy.
I literally explained in my post how I came to that conclusion.

Well so PES 6 to 2010 got... 8 directions, but not the same philosophy. PES 2011 even with more directions and a 2.5 engine is closer to PES 5 in terms of everything related to philosophy than PES 6 to 2010.
Without annoying you of course, it's just that except the old-school system, the whole system is differently think... Except the pace : i think it's a little bit slower.

PES 5 was slower, but not slow at all : when you replay it it's far faster or dynamic than PES 2015 to 21... But inertia and animations fitted together, the pitch was closer so pass coming more fast in everyone feet and it was a non-stop gaming.
That's one big difference that makes the game more "Action" and less, for some, boring by keeping the "sim" or balanced feel than the new games.
Give us back a smaller pitch! Joke aside, there's others way to make football games with all bigger and free and visually like realitity, but it's very hard in only 10-12 minutes.
Football games, if they wanted to be "sim" (they don't) should give at least a minimum of 15 minutes games. 20 is too much for people and we have no idea how 5 minutes more to get basic score could practically transform a gameplay.

If you don't play a lot of 8 D-Pad version, it's a bit harder to feel the big differences. But when you enter in the retro-PES world, every game seems and feels really apart.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice you have offered me.
I will try both pes 2010 and 2011 and later in time I will tell you what I think :BEER:

Don't forget @Fabri55 PES 2011 > With analog stick (32 or 64 directions, don't remember)

But overall whatever it looks or not to PES 5 it's a far better version than the 2010. Zero doubt.
Also more "maleable" to edit i believe, with both Wild@ Editor and tons of tools more than you can found for PES 2008 to 2010.
Camera changer etc., also more slots for teams i think. PESEDIT got a system to change or English, Italian, French, Germany D2, no idea how they did it.
But you can activate the "all D2 in Others Clubs" and plenty of option.

I suggest you to DDL any PESEDIT 2011 version for having an idea of all you can do with that game, it's FAR less restricted than PS2 versions style from 5 to 2010. Or basing on it.
There's also an idependant Patch for the 21-22 season + historical team here if you're interested, you can install it as separate patch, more focused on stats
https://evoweb.uk/threads/pes-2011-psd-patch-2021-2022-season.90931/

There's a lot of errors in starting 11 and formations (some GK in CF for example lol), but not the players, they're all very nicely re-worked stats are very good, "based" on PSD with tweaks from the author.
I would have correct it fast just to be more playable but when i play, i always took historical team lol so... And not interested to do an ML on any PES 2008-2014 PS360 versions. Only PS2.

Last edited:
Next gen ?is this possible? I dont know Spanish, what does the commentator say?

They only words i get ,are 'libre" and "cojones???"... Not sure.. :)

Also why does the animation of players arguing and the referee splitting them play? This is usually been played after a foul .
First part said the player committed a generic foul and the referee gave a free kick (tiro libre). Second part should be something like players are mad for the foul and think they can resolve it by shoving each other.. will wait for sensei @millossobek for correction tho :P

First part said the player committed a generic foul and the referee gave a free kick (tiro libre). Second part should be something like players are mad for the foul and think they can resolve it by shoving each other.. will wait for sensei @millossobek for correction tho :P
But the on defender near the penalty box end, is doing the handball request gesture, if am not wrong.

But the on defender near the penalty box end, is doing the handball request gesture, if am not wrong.

Oh yes absolutely, I think there is no doubt it's the handball that the referee is calling here, also nice one in spotting the defender doing the gesture, I didn't notice. I think probably it's a situation so rare in game it's just covered by the commentary with the generic foul thing.

Next gen ?is this possible? I dont know Spanish, what does the commentator say?

They only words i get ,are 'libre" and "cojones???"... Not sure.. :)

Also why does the animation of players arguing and the referee splitting them play? This is usually been played after a foul .
Haha let's see..

"gol a la vista! le entro en falta, indico tiro libre! algunos jugadores enfadados por esa entrada creen que lo pueden arreglar a empujones!"

which means..

"goal in sight! a foul challenge, free kick is indicated! some players, angry due to that tackle think that they can solve it by shoving each other!"

:LMAO:

@slamsoze so the "libre" part you got is from "tiro libre", which is free kick, and the "cojones" part is actuallly "empujones" which means shoving. :TU:

Great job bro!! you got it 100%!! Now I'll have to work on my Italian. :LMAO: GRANDE GOL DI LAPADULAAAAA

Haha let's see..

"gol a la vista! le entro en falta, indico tiro libre! algunos jugadores enfadados por esa entrada creen que lo pueden arreglar a empujones!"

which means..

"goal in sight! a foul challenge, free kick is indicated! some players, angry due to that tackle think that they can solve it by shoving each other!"

:LMAO:

@slamsoze so the "libre" part you got is from "tiro libre", which is free kick, and the "cojones" part is actuallly "empujones" which means shoving. :TU:
Hahahaha, yeah i had doubts for cojones, cause i know it's a bad word :P

For the libre i was 100% it was free aka free kick. I have a deep interest in Latin and Latin languages, so i can easily connect the words i already know, in other languages, Spanish, Italian, even the latin heritage words in English, like, libre-libero-liberty, etc...

Fun Fact, i used to play PES6 in spanish commentary, for years, when I was bored of the English one, so I learned a lot of football terms, which I have forgotten over the years :D

Like Tarjeta Amarilla, Tarjeta Roja (yellow, red card IIRC). And one phrase that always sounded amazing: Quere mate, quere mate, que famnastico remate, goaaaaal, goaaaaal,goaaaal....

Ok i assume i killed the grammar 🤣🤣 , but i listen by the ears of the soul!!! 😉😋🤣

Last edited:
but i listen by the ears of the soul!!! 😉😋🤣

Listen by the ears of the soul!! Love this quote. I might have to borrow it for my Master League stories!!

"Baggio doesn't understand what N'Diaye is saying, but maybe he does.. He listens with the ears of his soul!!!!" :LOL:

Quere mate, quere mate, que famnastico remate, goaaaaal, goaaaaal,goaaaal....

Que remate, que remate, que fantastico remate, gol gol gooooooool!!!!!! :TU: (what a strike, what a strike, what a fantastic strike, goal goal goaaaaaal!!!!) :LMAO: :TU:

Listen by the ears of the soul!! Love this quote. I might have to borrow it for my Master League stories!!

"Baggio doesn't understand what N'Diaye is saying, but maybe he does.. He listens with the ears of his soul!!!!" :LOL:
Fucking dying here. Literally visualizing it as a tv show scene. Comedy gold material :LOL::LMAO:

Hahahaha, yeah i had doubts for cojones, cause i know it's a bad word :P

For the libre i was 100% it was free aka free kick. I have a deep interest in Latin and Latin languages, so i can easily connect the words i already know, in other languages, Spanish, Italian, even the latin heritage words in English, like, libre-libero-liberty, etc...

Fun Fact, i used to play PES6 in spanish commentary, for years, when I was bored of the English one, so I learned a lot of football terms, which I have forgotten over the years :D

Like Tarjeta Amarilla, Tarjeta Roja (yellow, red card IIRC). And one phrase that always sounded amazing: Quere mate, quere mate, que famnastico remate, goaaaaal, goaaaaal,goaaaal....

Ok i assume i killed the grammar 🤣🤣 , but i listen by the ears of the soul!!! 😉😋🤣
I remember like almost 25 years ago, one of the first italian Pay Tvs also did La Liga with original commentary. TARJETA AMARILLA and TARJETA ROJA stuck with me and my dad as well indeed.. best way in the world to call cards I guess :P. But I agree generally it's one of the best languages for commentaries.. they usually sound so genuinely passionate. Must start to use it as well in games sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom