The Retro-PES Corner

Sometimes you got also to change your Nvidia (or other gfx card) resolution to fit. Then you put the game to have "full" resolution (stretched everywhere whatever the ratio, but if you set the good ratio on your card... Then it's okay)

I didn't wanted 16/9 for PES 5 firstly because i trough that game was made for that resolution (dumb for some, i admit)
Secondary because with all the graphicals mods : it was running smoother without lag effect.

Also, one thing that i hate in PC patch PS2 era in 16/9 : is 1st when the players are smaller and stretched (pretty rare nowadays, now they balance it on a X+ resolution like if it was dezoomed)
2nd, the menus all flat, the streched videos etc.
I don't know if there's a way to add custom bars with some models like on some retro games you brought on Steam or PSN, one decoration on left and right.
If it's doable before launching the game in 16/9 as people like it. Ah yes, i hate also the name over the player.

I hated it from PES 11 to 14, visual pollution to me when a simple arrow is enough as players are recognisable, and there were no way to restore the good old version with bar above. Even without bar, the arrows got a weird positioning, it wasn't "locked" but floaty.

And i was happy when they came back to normal (with choices to put names above) on PES 2015. Now, when i replay it : i don't care : it small, and i play only on 2011 and 2014 (don't like the two others). But at the time, i pissed me a lot, i complained all the year(s) about it haha

Back to the thread, i replayed ISS Pro Evolution 1. I don't know how i played it before especially on EU version : there's a lot of input lag and when you stop with your player, it's hard to restart to dribble again, and i've lost the ball very often due to that. Well i remember i played it and liked it for the time, but it's for me one of the version which didn't aged well... In comparison to ISS PRO basic or 98 : more dynamic and direct play, well, more fun.

I even prefers, in terms of fun, the game i posted above lol, no joke. But all the following, ISS Pro Evo 2, WE 2002 (the difference as i retried is the controls repsonsiveness) and the other PES 1 and 2 but PSone version are all good.
Well at the time i switched to the PS2 versions and never came back to PS1... Logic.

I got something to ask : i own WE 2002 but recently downloaded : before i got a version with all the clubs unlocked, option file or something like that.
Does someome got a Memory card (whatever the format) on Epsxe or something like that on their old PC "emulation" folder?

I'll appreciate if it's the case : the original version of course, i own a patch which translated every players fakes names from clubs too.

Thanks in advance!

I tried Winning Eleven 3 Final Version and its a very good game. Shocking to think how good these PSX games still are playable today. They are timeless, like SWOS and other titles.

I still think Winning Eleven 2002 is the best of the PSX games though. Just feels more advanced and polished.

Does anyone have a stock ISO of WE2002 but with just the English translation applied? I'm trying to run an English version through DuckStation/SwanStation on RetroArch but all the other patched versions like Seadog's refuse to load. Only the original Japanese ISO loads for me. If anyone can kindly share even if its just the PPF patch for me to apply, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

For all you PES 10 people out there does anyone know the difference between Winning Eleven 2010 which I just bought

5A5E0AB3-6241-40E0-9FE6-DBC3B43D914B.png
And winning eleven samurai below

D877BFB1-E33E-480F-9838-C7C9F791B5A1.png
I’ve heard the WE editions are a more refined PES 2010 so just trying to figure out which one was considered best.
There has not been a better ML since so really want to get stuck into one of them. Cheers

Last edited:
Thank you guys, absolute kings here @slamsoze and @marqisspes6 .

Ill report back if im able to fix it.

On the gaming note, man the ball physics, i just cant get enough, it feels more organic than fifa and efootball. Im just glad i have these games that truly are my footy fix. I create more real life scenarios from 12 year old games than whatever these modern day devs are making.

I tried Winning Eleven 3 Final Version and its a very good game. Shocking to think how good these PSX games still are playable today. They are timeless, like SWOS and other titles.

I still think Winning Eleven 2002 is the best of the PSX games though. Just feels more advanced and polished.

Does anyone have a stock ISO of WE2002 but with just the English translation applied? I'm trying to run an English version through DuckStation/SwanStation on RetroArch but all the other patched versions like Seadog's refuse to load. Only the original Japanese ISO loads for me. If anyone can kindly share even if its just the PPF patch for me to apply, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
I got a version working on Retroarch (under Batocera O.S. for Raspberry), but i'm searching for a memcard or something with clubs unlocked.
I don't intend to make an ML on it... I already don't do that on many PS2 versions so. It's just for tournament.

Here's the version i own, not everything is in english

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ndfetkz1zjr25ri/Winning+Eleven+2002+English+(PS1).rar/file

@H_G i searched for you and with the editor, there's nothing of that kind mate. Got the same issue to unlock WE2002 clubs so...

For all you PES 10 people out there does anyone know the difference between Winning Eleven 2010 which I just bought

View attachment 178802
And winning eleven samurai below

View attachment 178803
I’ve heard the WE editions are a more refined PES 2010 so just trying to figure out which one was considered best.
There has not been a better ML since so really want to get stuck into one of them. Cheers
That's Winning Eleven 2010 AOKI samurai no choose : so with J-League and a mode with Japan selection to qualify to WC 2010 ;)
At least on PS2 that's what you got.
They did it also for WE 2014, PS3, PSP (without J-League) and 3DS.

Guys im stuck right now, i bought fifa 22 on pc and the gameplay is bad, u all know about the midfield not tracking back etc...
So i need my football fix, which pes or fifa game that i can get that is good enough to play master league or career mode?

Wow, that's a really tough question bro.. I think it all depends on my mood. Sometimes, when I'm feeling like playing tough, low-scoring and physical football, I go for PES 5. When I want something a bit more free flowing, I play PES 6.. I also enjoy 2010, (recently got into it) 11, and probably my favorite PES right now, PES 2017. (I don't know if you consider that retro though, but I really like it) :TU: It all depends on what I want to play at the moment!
Pes 2017???? Are you serious,it has the worst ai ever, one dimensional ai gameplay....the ai will always want to score the same boring bottom corner shot every single time.bad and repetitive to say the least, the last good pes game was pes 2011 and maybe 2012

I comparison at the time to PES 2015 and FIFA 17, the game was enjoyable and got a lot more variety, subtle but there was.
But yes, i didn't feel challenge neither on that version against CPU, especially as i can say i'm good to defend so they rarely got occasions to score.
Only against top teams, but the others... But i remember one thing : it was a tone harder on competitions matchs, CPU was more agressive, and it was a bit more harder (but i still won or finishing first on the final lol)

Last edited:
Guys im stuck right now, i bought fifa 22 on pc and the gameplay is bad, u all know about the midfield not tracking back etc...
So i need my football fix, which pes or fifa game that i can get that is good enough to play master league or career mode?
I made the same error, even when i saw vids and trough "it's super fast, there's no inertia, no defense, no midfield" etc.
But people saying that "it's miles away from PES 2021" at the launch, due to the surprise effect regarding animations etc (i understand)...

That makes me laugh now, it's the shittiest football game i ever played. It's not even better than PES 15 or 17, or the awful FIFA 15 (as i kinda hate that game : too easy to do whatever you want).

Well, try PES 2008 PS2 if you want more retro stuffs (to me and another member the best PS2 PES ever), and PES 2011, or if you got FIFA 14 PC or PS4.

But i've read some of your comments, you're the kind of guy which is quickly bored of a game so it's kinda hard lol. Try all the game you can bro, switch.
Avoid PES 4, 6, all PS2 version from 2009 to 2013 (2014 is good), and on PC FIFA 12. The 11 on PC is kinda like FIFA 10 on PS3 debbuged : but FIFA 10 was an awesome game. FIFA 11 PS3 was just the best of all the series from that era, with the 14.

Last edited:
Pes 2017???? Are you serious,it has the worst ai ever, one dimensional ai gameplay....bad and repetitive to say the least, the last good pes game was pes 2011 and maybe 2012

I made the same error, even when i saw vids and trough "it's super fast, there's no inertia, no defense, no midfield" etc.
But people saying that "it's miles away from PES 2021" at the launch, due to the surprise effect regarding animations etc (i understand)...

That makes me laugh now, it's the shittiest football game i ever played. It's not even better than PES 15 or 17, or the awful FIFA 15 (as i kinda hate that game : too easy to do whatever you want).

Well, try PES 2008 PS2 if you want more retro stuffs (to me and another member the best PS2 PES ever), and PES 2011, or if you got FIFA 14 PC or PS4.

But i've read some of your comments, you're the kind of guy which is quickly bored of a game so it's kinda hard lol. Try all the game you can bro, switch.
Avoid PES 4, 6, all PS2 version from 2009 to 2013 (2014 is good), and on PC FIFA 12. The 11 on PC is kinda like FIFA 10 on PS3 debbuged : but FIFA 10 was an awesome game. FIFA 11 PS3 was just the best of all the series from that era, with the 14.
So fifa 14 is better than 16?

I don t get bored, my gripe is on the one dimensional ai in the recent pes games....after a while on master league u notice the cheating ai and the that there s no variety to their play or how they score, the ai will always want to score the same every game u play..it s just so boring..

So fifa 14 is better than 16?
To me... Yes. More PES-ish let's say, but with tactical defending.

I don't like FIFA 16 through : too much goal from long shoot, players with no weight etc.
That's why i don't even through to recommand it lol. Same as PES 2013 : those games are similar in the feeling.
In some words : i found IGNITE is shitty to represent weight, movement, etc., the ref with PES 2013 is like they "streched" IGNITE to create a fake Inertia sensation.

On FIFA 14 (PC/PS3, i think PS4 is Ignite graphics only) you can feel the players movements, different depending the position and speed etc. BUT naturally.
Also, smaller pitch etc.

But that's my preference... And i mentioned it because you probably played a bit too much FIFA 16 and want something new right? Or not?
If not and you like it, run on it.

Also, i don't feel the one dimensional you mention. There's so much physical algorithms that i feel that everything i do is different...

One thing you don't have in Fifa as they removed weight-shift, inertia, ball are too small etc. well i liked a bit the 16 and 17 but don't like any of PS4 Fifa. Didn't tried the 14.

Fifa is 3 dimensional for you, the pitch is bigger etc. but it's still shit to me as the results of animations seems all the same, and everything depending on stats like PES PS2. Tried the 20 and was pissed to have spend that much money.

Edit: Yes the issue about AI is there's a lot of same composition, without tactical advanced stuffs on it. Also, you can really feal what the AI is capable when you play agaisn't well known teams with all their player with a CPU style + global playing style. The game miss a bit too much of personalisation. AND when you play, it's you who have to do everything. Also the CPU will plays differently if you varies your game (that's always what i did, so never got too much issues with CPU. More issues is about the challenge i never got until 2021 version and a bit 2019)

Last edited:
After a few months of inactivity I'm slowing getting back into finishing off this gameplay file, should have never started editing body sizes to fit the time in history, oh well just some database work left to do nowView attachment 178864
I started with PES 2020 (last season) then i improved myself about body structure. I never through it was doable for me, then i get used of it. Not for all players, but some needs a small retouch to looks like, like big muscular guys, small without neck and a bit fat, Long players with large shoulders and neck etc.

But i never try to do too much, just the bare minimum, not +7 etc.

There's only one thing missing on old PS2 version : arms length but whatever. Not that important regarding graphics.

Good job mate. They looks natural, Lothar especially, big chest and legs, not too long. Pretty well done well i suppose it's him even if his face is a bit weird in game lol he looks overall like him

@H_G i searched for you and with the editor, there's nothing of that kind mate. Got the same issue to unlock WE2002 clubs so...
There's a tool for PES 2010 created by @MxSoNiC, it open and save the option.bin of PES 2009 but the file became corrupted.

I tried to unlock them with Cheat Engine but I failed.

1663775428907.png

@Hatrickhero In terms of "what PES is good/enjoyable". I've always thought it's a question of perception. PES 2017 I've always felt it was very smooth, very fun to play, and actually I've felt like the CPU AI is pretty good. One thing I've noticed is that there is a huge difference in skill level between Top Player and Superstar. Everyone has their favorite and their own perception on their favorite PES.. Some people love PES 2013, some people dislike it, it's a very divisive game. It's kind of like game speed it's all subjective.

I started with PES 2020 (last season) then i improved myself about body structure. I never through it was doable for me, then i get used of it. Not for all players, but some needs a small retouch to looks like, like big muscular guys, small without neck and a bit fat, Long players with large shoulders and neck etc.

But i never try to do too much, just the bare minimum, not +7 etc.

There's only one thing missing on old PS2 version : arms length but whatever. Not that important regarding graphics.

Good job mate. They looks natural, Lothar especially, big chest and legs, not too long. Pretty well done well i suppose it's him even if his face is a bit weird in game lol he looks overall like him
Yeah its been alot of work especially with there being multiple versions of the same player over their careers (I've 5 maradonas and 5 ronaldos etc) plus the different kit types (1930-1958 loose, 1962-1992 tight and 1992 until today loose and tight) and the fact players have different body types the more modern the football has become. I've watched hours of old footage in the last few months to get the basics right then added more nuance to the most famous players like Lothar there.

Yes, from a certain era to another, they got more muscular, or get a bit of fat, and it changes their Body.
You can create 10 Adriano and 8 Ibrahimovic.
Did very well to watch some old games as they don't play naked lol and a remember about the years were the model was different is necessary, the shirt plays a lot in the way the shape will looks like.
I don't talk about tight kits, that's more than another fabric. Like i saw on YT some people sharing their body structure for having lookalike tight kits lol, it was kinda ridiculous.
There's no way to "tight" kits on console, deal with it haha

Whatever, you seems to have trained well their body structure, you should work on a Basic Fit

For me PES 2017 has the best AI ever... :D

The best 2 games of FIFA and PES are FIFA 14 and PES 2017...

The game with the best animations is PES 2014 is an amazing football game but its AI is the worst AI ever...

We read everything and it's opposite lol.

"Best AI" etc., well AI is not the only thing on the pitch, contact, controls, precision etc., ball physics aren't really "AI" related. A simple AI with an incredible amount of outcomes due to physics could become, for you and i, the best AI ever. But no, AI is simple and with fast response, and the variety came from unpredictable outcomes. CPU also variety is good, but if it's not challenging and i would even say that it will give you advantage as the team creativity create space, i'll pass.

PES 2014 i think is not about the AI in the sense of "i don't know what to do", but "when". If you fix the awarereness responsivity (well, AI speed reaction) it may become one of the (if not the) best PES ever.
If they manage to remove input lag, because i agree totally that a movement change needs some time to be executed, but here we got real input/pushing button lag in more.
But i think the best is to mix it, some stuff a bit accelerated, some other less. That's the case in PES 19-21 which follow 14 path in terms of physics (finally mastered as it should be) but up in speed a bit some movements to remove that input lag. Without being too visible or exaggerated.

I think the best Dribbling Physics never saw are in Efooball, i would say unfortunately and sadly (because many of the rest is shitty, shooting, ball physics, dynamism etc.) as there's more transitions and the speed is totally right.

is not possible trought any editor? or internal shop something like that? (just asking in case i can help never had the game)
I answer for him : i tried with Wild@ editor and there's no such option. Didn't with Goldokiller one if he made a version for 2009 (at your own risk lol)

you can buy them at least with the shop just like old pes? if that's possible then it will be possible to do something like external editor by ourself
No, you have to won something to unlock teams like in ISS Pro and also won hidden players by winning ML, and some other things i believe.
Europe with Holland > Holland Classics etc.
PES-Shop is gone on 2008-09-10, i don't remember if you can buy things in PES 2011-13 through.

No, you have to won something to unlock teams like in ISS Pro and also won hidden players by winning ML, and some other things i believe.

from a developer POV... what a pain in the 4ss, from a player and someone who enjoys challenges or that thing of complete stuff, what an amazing idea, well, when i get some free time probably im gonna give it a try or if someone can send me a default option file and a default option file + at least one team unlock, then i can make some comparations of files (yes, must be that specific to reduce the values to compare/search)

Well i've made a clean about game i play on PC and put some on the trash, some on an external HDD.
I don't have it installed. @H_G you have to sacrifice yourself and won a cup with Argentine or Brasil at least in America (not a lot of matches)

BTW i replayed it a year ago, and weirdly i didn't found it that fast as before. I even a bit enjoyed it... But it was way too easy to score unfortunately, no challenge. On Cup i think teams plays better like in every PES than in Exhibition through

@marqisspes6 i'm re-working on my first project : PES 5 option file with summer transfers (all the others got winter transfers, and not Konami stats as they're old)
There's still work, but you will probably like it. As you said you planned to do something on PES 5... Up to you to use it if that's what you're searching.

Personally as i play on PS2 i will add first League logos, i don't have a pack with real teams logos higher resolution for PS2 (but i can extract those from WE9 patch i got, the issue is some colors aren't great) and about kits, a bit too hard to add real kits on that version so...

It was a version for both PS2 with a small patch and PC for basis. I took stats from later PES title as i'm conservative but i up or tone them down, i installed tons of FM for it.
EDIT / My system is to open the pre-game editor (some players got "0" everywhere and compare the 06 with the 07. If they got "0" on every stats i go check on Fifa but i don't decrease directly or increase : i check first the set and his counterpart on PES, if it's the same type or totally different. Or i increase/decrease by logic regarding age and previous team.

Also a lot of remade faces, errors correct and /as a +/ stats from the end of the season as some are very outdated in comparison to WE10. PES was always a year late about stats, i wanted to resolve it.

So it's an O.F. "like it should have been if the game was licenced", i prefers to keep original teams than replace them with 05-06 Champion's league, also added Boca JR and River Plate for example.
Better for ML as there's a lot of future stars and good players. I will made two version one with basic ML player, the second will be with ML replaced by real players for those who using match mode (but also playable if you don't like fake ML players: it will be a small team but not as bad as ML player. Didn't already worked on it but i will try to found some "counterparts" ;) )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom