The Retro-PES Corner

Oh, I see! I remember seeing the PS3-option the few times I have used the pesmaster kitmaker and I always wondered why the result was so "fractured". It makes sense now! 😁

... but you are quite right, applying all those to the unlicensed teams of he game seem like a kind of torture I am currently not in the mood for. 😅
Just to add here, about this link i posted, emptyspaceskits. This guy is updating kits in his blog for PS3 format, since 2016, for the last 6 years!!!!! For a so outdated kit template. And despite this he keeps updating. It's really amazing. PES community has some of the most amazing guys/members, offering their services for years (for free/out of charge).

I stopped at the asks about PES 2015 and 2016 but just...

> To me an overrated game super basic in comparision to PES 2014 (tons of stuffs removed) with the worst database in PES ever... But i liked it whatsoever, overall. Simplistic but effective in terms of shooting etc.

>PES 2016 is one of the 4 games i hate the most. Every shoots are straight in the goal, keeper can't handle the bullets shoots (not their fault) and the rest is a bit fast and just average.

From the 3 before PES 2018 engine (not finished, just graphically but not physically > only on PES 2019) i'll take PES 2017 by miles, and IF PES 2015 didn't got a so bad database, it could have been a good version. The only with a bit of variety in shooting.

On PES 2015 even well known players got stats from PES Windsors 12 years old kids who rated them. Windsor and co killed the database.

My favourite and 2019, 2017, 2021, 2014 no joke.
2020 got a very bad last patch : they changed ball physics but not the awareness of players, so you have really weird and uncontrolled situations. But i never liked the flow...
It's a very very different game to play than PES 2021. Whatever if graphisms are similar (not animations through)

I stopped at the asks about PES 2015 and 2016 but just...

> To me an overrated game super basic in comparision to PES 2014 (tons of stuffs removed) with the worst database in PES ever... But i liked it whatsoever, overall. Simplistic but effective in terms of shooting etc.

>PES 2016 is one of the 4 games i hate the most. Every shoots are straight in the goal, keeper can't handle the bullets shoots (not their fault) and the rest is a bit fast and just average.

From the 3 before PES 2018 engine (not finished, just graphically but not physically > only on PES 2019) i'll take PES 2017 by miles, and IF PES 2015 didn't got a so bad database, it could have been a good version. The only with a bit of variety in shooting.

On PES 2015 even well known players got stats from PES Windsors 12 years old kids who rated them. Windsor and co killed the database.

My favourite and 2019, 2017, 2021, 2014 no joke.
2020 got a very bad last patch : they changed ball physics but not the awareness of players, so you have really weird and uncontrolled situations. But i never liked the flow...
It's a very very different game to play than PES 2021. Whatever if graphisms are similar (not animations through)
My issue with 2020 and 2021, and even 2019 to an extent; is how boring they get and quite quickly.

I always enjoy the first and second matches. By the third match, I’m bored senseless and I always end up uninstalling the game.

In comparison, I play PES 3 or 5 and hours fly by without me even noticing.

PES on my opinion has never quite got that right since the days of PS2 (the variety and addictive quality)

My cousin visited last week and we played PES 5 until the early hours of the morning. He had never played it before and said he needed to buy a PC now just to emulate it.

No one will ever say that about the modern PES games in 15-20 years from now.

Thanks mate. I don’t remember 16 at all. Do the GKs let in every shot then?
YES.
Ball are like too heavy and fast for them. I scored similar goals and goals just by trying from distance, between 15 and 25 meters let's say.

And the ball is even bowling-esque in manual, so you just have to shoot straight. I remember we played on manual 11 v 11. One mate scored goal after goal from practically the midfield. It was atrocious.

YES.
Ball are like too heavy and fast for them. I scored similar goals and goals just by trying from distance, between 15 and 25 meters let's say.

And the ball is even bowling-esque in manual, so you just have to shoot straight. I remember we played on manual 11 v 11. One mate scored goal after goal from practically the midfield. It was atrocious.
Thanks fellas I will avoid it I think. Plus I just realised, these were the PES games that we couldn’t add option files. And I’m not spending hours editing a game, those days are long gone :LOL:

My issue with 2020 and 2021, and even 2019 to an extent; is how boring they get and quite quickly.

I always enjoy the first and second matches. By the third match, I’m bored senseless and I always end up uninstalling the game.

In comparison, I play PES 3 or 5 and hours fly by without me even noticing.

PES on my opinion has never quite got that right since the days of PS2.
I kinda hate PES 3 as to me it's wayyy to repetitive in the movement and i got too easy to score.
PES 5 is another story.

In fact : all PES with 360 degree movement are of course different. I kinda liked PES 2011 but not like FIFA 11 PS3...

PES 2021 could be boring yes, because the flow isn't direct, and you have to do all by yourself for creating basic stuffs. That's one thing i understood, which isn't in the game you mentionned for example, or any Fifa.

For example, you like FIFA 20 as the way of dribbling is up to your taste. To me it's the most horrendous game with FIFA 22, i can't finish 2 games a row.
And i score again and again as coming from PES 2019-21, everything feels so easy to do.

Thanks fellas I will avoid it I think. Plus I just realised, these were the PES games that we couldn’t add option files. And I’m not spending hours editing a game, those days are long gone :LOL:
You can in PES 2015 and PES 2016 PC. It's running super smooth. The difference with the PS4 version is all about lighting but gameplay animations, physics are totally similar.
If you found a patch...

YES.

PES 2016 for me is one of my fav but I have some mixed feelings about shooting from distance. The game is so enjoyable but it's like playing Sniper Elite except you're a expert and you never miss a bullet.

@Mikhail stadium-wise, it had more stadiums that 15 but you can't have as much as 41 if I remember correctly… If you want patches PesNewUpdate is your friend, and for other content you have ModdingWay and PeSoccerWorld

In fact, i love the engine in PES 2019-2021 and the player's weight, ball physics ect. as it's (too me) very close to the real game.

I don't like to melt the older and "newer" PES : there's way harder to make a "directly fun" game with a big pitch so less contact and activity overall, 360 degree movements, an engine which is closer to reality... You have to change litterally everything and make it more various.

8 directions, stats directing the game (reactivity depends to your players stats), a pitch practically 1/4 smaller, direct defense so tons of contacts....
It's fun, and limited, but addictive as the stats and than the timing more than ever is counting... And the ball physics was made if the game was in 360 degree movement.

Now everyone talk about scripting : the whole PS2 era are probably need very simple "direction" as everything, we can call it real script as it should be, following a logic okay but there's tons of replay goal which are much more "the ball should enter > because stats are higher than the GK reaction" than in most recent games.

P.S.: The PS4 version had better graphics though
Yes that what i said lol, the only difference.

Edit : About PES 2015 if you found a patch which change completely the PES 2015 database, like another season or something which have their own way to rate player, that's the best way to appreciate PES 2015.
The two things i like on it, is the passing assistance which is the same as PES 2014 (the last i think with the ugly 2016) and the overall dynamism. Otherwise PES 2017, same engine etc. is far superior. But i remember passing was more assisted by default.

Still a lot of error database but PES 2015 is in the Guiness book with their "blank face" players with 40 on every stats, the 80 in both finishing/curve/ball winning and the 4/4 ambidextrous as the fucking kids can't divide a scale on 8 by 2.

Last edited:
PES 2016, you can add Option File in PS4. I learned it very recently. The problem is, it was added latter i think, and not much people know about it, also there are not a lot available Option Files for that PES. At least, in the very mainstream OF places.

Worst thing is that I really enjoyed Pes 16, I've played a 12 min half and I really liked it,responsive as hell Vs newer games (-1 game speed).
Good midfield etc, had three shots on goal ,2 for the CPU ,still 0-0 and this is on a edited version (GK 99)
But I bet it will fall apart soon enough, to bad since it's a good game.
Wish 17 had this pace Vs it's super fast one

still 0-0 and this is on a edited version (GK 99)
Sorry but:LMAO: admit it's kinda funny that tweak

It's a bit logic then lol. But even with it : with some games more and you will get the hint to score, the ball is still too fast for an human being even with 99 lol.
Well, if you have to get all GK similar with all 99 to have a decent game...

I agree about PES 17 speed (like PES 2018). I think it's too fast to turn, less inertia etc.
PES 2018 is the first version with the "new" engine but not everything like players physics/new inertia (some people don't like it but i'm a big fan) was included.

So it's accelerated with long straight passes, long shoot. Don't remember it was fast but there's not a lot of inertia.
I believe after a big retry that it's the only version everyone may agree to avoid, absolutely zero fault (i don't talk about cards, you can kill your opponent from behind the referee is Ray Charles but deaf) and simplified for the bigger pitch engine.

Sorry but:LMAO:
I agree about PES 17 speed (like PES 2018). I think it's too fast to turn, less inertia etc.
PES 2018 is the first version with the "new" engine but not everything like players physics/new inertia (some people don't like it but i'm a big fan) was included.

So it's accelerated with long straight passes, long shoot. Don't remember it was fast but there's not a lot of inertia.
I believe after a big retry that it's the only version everyone may agree to avoid, absolutely zero fault (i don't talk about cards, you can kill your opponent from behind the referee is Ray Charles but deaf) and simplified for the bigger pitch engine.
Dont agree at all,and I'm playing it as we speak.
Different taste for instance?
I think Pes 19 is one of the worst games ever, so i don't think we'll agree here
Edit i see faults from the CPU and my team (manual passing) constantly,misplaced passes/crosses/shots
But the goalkeepers ruins it for me,otherwise I'd play this a lot

Last edited:
Well i remember people didn't liked PES 19 mostly because of the inertia. Some people don't like when there's weight shift etc. i understand.
But it's realism and bring a lot more variety in dribbling. Also ball physics.

But about faults, and shoot variation, and no inertia it's a fact. You can do everything in PES 2018 without getting a card.
I think PES 19 was too physical or not as much "AI", personnaly i prefers a thousand time physics first then AI following it than the opposite.

I liked PES 2019 motion, but i admit there was something missing, even if there was faults and more variation in passing/shooting.
It's not my favourite, 2020 and 2021 are then 2017 and 2015. I don't count PES 2014 on the equation (it's like a beta but much much more sophisticated than PES 2015)

Also what i don't like in PES 2015-2017, after you press a button for anything, pass, shoot, set piece, you can't add input to the power gauge, i find it a lot locking and unforginving.

In contrast, in the more responsive versions of 2016 and 2018 you can press the button for some additional input, when pressing commands.

I always love to add some little power input in a lot occasions, like shoots or corner kicks.

Well i remember people didn't liked PES 19 mostly because of the inertia. Some people don't like when there's weight shift etc. i understand.
But it's realism and bring a lot more variety in dribbling. Also ball physics.

But about faults, and shoot variation, and no inertia it's a fact. You can do everything in PES 2018 without getting a card.
I think PES 19 was too physical or not as much "AI", personnaly i prefers a thousand time physics first then AI following it than the opposite.
Pes 19,and that's my game breaker was the CPU ai, absolutely horrible,just down the wing constantly.
But on the ball and physicality,fantastic!
Plus no D2 leagues...
But I played a lot of league mode on it,ai plays differently there.

In fact i didn't played that much on that version, just that i hated PES 2018 so much as it wasn't football for me without faults and tons of things i don't remember that i kinda "liked" PES 2019, just for the physics even if the AI was pretty simplistic, the rest was in the game.

In fact i didn't played that much on that version, just that i hated PES 2018 so much as it wasn't football for me without faults and tons of things i don't remember that i kinda "liked" PES 2019, just for the physics even if the AI was pretty simplistic, the rest was in the game.
My thing with 18 is all the space on the field.
Dribbling and on the ball is lovely on 18 as well.

Was hoping for some help here, I have a couple of PES 6 games from Sany installers and the graphics are very pixel-y and create a pattern that is distracting while playing. While not exclusive to them, they seem to happen more with Phoenix/Firebird patches from the 2010s (by contrast, the World Cup patches are very high quality).

In the settings, I have the highest resolution and high quality, and the lodcfg is all set to high, I've used the resolution tools, and my kload is:
dx.force-SW-TnL = 0
dx.emulate-HW-TnL = 0
dx.fullscreen.width = 1920
dx.fullscreen.height = 1080
internal.resolution.width = 1920
internal.resolution.height = 1080

But it still looks fuzzy. Is this just a fact from certain patches, or am I missing anything?

pes6-2.jpg

I played a lot with my created J-league teams with custom tactics on PES 19, perhaps that's one reason i didn't really complained about AI.
All my tactics were changed also for the others teams i played with.
Yes, no D2 was a big pain... Didn't remembered it. There was only the "strongest" D2 (to me it's the case, England got the best D2 but also Germany, historically and on the paper)

I hated no having Serie B (never got interest about Spanish League neither anything related to spanish football since i'm young so...)

About the wings... I'm on PS2 for the moment. The CPU don't stop to goes to the wing whatever the team i'm playing against. Every version except... PES 1/WE5 FE.
Even on WE9, but you got easier to follow the winger and get the ball but still.

PES 18 i don't remember why i didn't liked it except the faults and the feeling of "too easy to do X stuff". Perhaps the "after PES 17" which i liked a lot, the absence of fault too.

Yeah 19 was so monodimensional AI wise. I remember when it went out, CPU only scored in a single way and even refused to put in open goals or somehing if they arrived the "wrong" way.. then they fixed it a bit after a big update (can't remember precisely which one), but still felt so samey with that wing-low cross- tap in thing. I'm still not a fan of 20 and 21 but at least CPU used some other pattern.

Yeah 19 was so monodimensional AI wise. I remember when it went out, CPU only scored in a single way and even refused to put in open goals or somehing if they arrived the "wrong" way.. then they fixed it a bit after a big update (can't remember precisely which one), but still felt so samey with that wing-low cross- tap in thing. I'm still not a fan of 20 and 21 but at least CPU used some other pattern.
Yeah correct!
CPU could come 1v1with the keeper and still pass it out on the wing.
It got better.
I had 3-4 seasons of league mode which plays very different (no TS)

Well, i would say PEs 2017 is the last PES that CPU AI has some real ID. 2015 and 2016 were the games that really nailed the CPU ID. After that, every new itteration had an issue. Superstellar AI in PES 2018, wing spamming in PES 2019, one dimensional and with bad awareness in 2020-2021, etc, etc.

You can of course watch it by your own eyes, and while i am not a fan of TheTrueBrits, i've seen a recent video of him, while he is revisiting every old PES due to the eFutebol no-news issue. Just check how the COM-controlled Barcelona plays in this video. Really amazing. Well you can say, that they play the same tiki-taka in PES 2018, but then again, every team in 2018 on superstar ML, plays lasser guided tiki-taka, with one-touch, deadly accuracy back-heels.

Sorry for the user, just focus on the video content. :D Some amazing plays by CPU. I really miss it, and now we have half-past 2022, i mean the AI should play better, not worse... :(

Back
Top Bottom