The Retro-PES Corner

It made me cry so bad, I mean I love watching faces in Edit Mode, and I like seeing low quality faces, but Pirlo? Seriously?! What have you done to my father? He just had a great face/hair after the over-stretched one he had from PES 2010-12. If you pay a little attention to his haircut in PES 2014, it looks very similar to a hair from PES 2013 PS3

Father or how i like to call him "daddy" when i rewatch some videos of him playing

From players who got the chance to play with him, he was always making funny jokes which making laugh everyone, even if it was some mockery to one particular player, everyone was on his target whatever you're Ibrahimovic or a small 18 y.o. youth with 165cm, the joke was so spot on than even the player couldn't do anything but laugh too. I don't remember which players from the Nazionale said it.

The kind of stuff in the vestiary like to put something over the designed player seat or the small words totally off context.
It was even more funnier as he stayed serious while everyone laughing and crying in the same time.

He was a hidden funny clown in fact, probably because he liked it but it's also a good way to relax everyone off the pitch.
On the pitch he was a technical leader and very unpredictable for us who watch, but the pass receiver got a subtle prevent from him before he tempted his long pass.
While for example Gattuso was a mental leader. Man i miss those two in the Nazionale and Juve complementarity (less in Milan lol, i hated the Berlusconi team but loved their rosters every year. Edit: but now since 10 years : i swear every year for them to resurrect like a phoenix. It was just because of Berlu and the rivality of course)

Last edited:
Hello community.

I’ll start out this post by being brutally honest with all of you: for both EA and PES, offline football gaming is dead.

All efforts have been allocated to the online, micro-transaction-fueled experience because that’s where the profit is, so naturally this state of affairs won’t change anytime soon; if anything, I believe this tendency will become more obvious as years go by and therefore the culture of online gaming consolidates itself as the fundamental part of any football game.

For all I know, I could wake up tomorrow and find out there was a new football game that fulfilled my dreams of a realistic Human vs. AI football simulation. But sadly, I find neither current PES nor current FIFA satisfying, let alone even innovative, and it has been like this for a few years now.

Disappointed with such state of affairs, I had to find a worthwhile football “fix”. Unfortunately I don’t have as much time for gaming as I had ten, fifteen years ago so the little time I have to spend on it is absolutely precious, therefore not to be wasted on games I don’t even enjoy just because they're new and shiny.

So over the course of countless months I sampled every FIFA and PES title I own – glad I didn’t sell any of them – on multiple platforms, to see if I could find at least one that satisfied me. What I discovered on this journey shook me…

….I didn’t take full advantage of any of these games.

For example I barely played PES2009 at all because I was completely infatuated with FIFA09 back then. I didn’t even try out a few PES on platforms such as the PC or the PSP because I always played on the PS2/3.

As for the games I spent the most time on in the past – maybe PES5 and 6, 2013 too -, still it turned out not to be enough time spent to appreciate all of what the game had to offer. This was mainly due to the fact that yearly iterations of the game contribute for the players to only utilize a very small percentage of each version’s possibilities.

Let me put it this way: when was the last time you played a full Become a Legend career, from the player’s debut to past his 30th birthday? My answer: I NEVER did it.

Out of all the teams in every version, how many did you use for your ML adventures? My answer, let’s see: out of many hundreds of teams available in every version, I used an average of 2 teams in each, two ML saves. Let’s say I played 10 versions of PES: 2x10 versions = 20 teams, multiply every team on 10 versions of PES and you’ll realize as I did that I’ve used 20 teams out of a total of…THOUSANDS! If we consider that there are around 50 players in two squads, and I bought on average 15/20 players in every single one of my ML adventures throughout the years, how many thousands of players haven’t I used?

When was the last time you won the WC on the hardest setting with the five worst National Teams in the game? When was the last time you won the WEFA/CL with the worst club in the game?

There’s much more on my checklist that I never accomplished – and much more I’m only now adding to that same checklist - not only due to my shortage of time, but mainly because I always had to get the next version of PES/FIFA and start it all anew, whilst “putting away on a shelf” all the progress I had made on the previous one.

Playing all of these games again sparked up my creativity and made me come up with new ways to fulfill my only objective: to get the most out of every single football game I wish to play. Now I’m opening this topic on Evo-Web not only because I want to share my retro PES adventures with you, but encouraging also all of you to do the same.

These adventures obviously will include ML saves, but not just. There’s a ML adventures thread you can use but that topic naturally allows only ML discussion, whilst here the discussion is not only exclusively Retro but also allows for ANY type of Retro-PES discussion besides the Master League: whether you played Random Selection Match and had a blast, or you’re updating us on your last week of your 7th Become a Legend season on PES2010, even if you just played a friendly match on PES3 I want you to write about it. I don’t know what do you think of it, but I love writing and also reading detailed analysis on players, teams, and experiences within the game. So anything that keeps the Retro-PES discussion alive is welcomed.

The only rule of the topic is: the game you wish to speak of MUST NOT be the current version, so as of April 2018 I can't talk about PES2018 but could speak of my adventures on PES2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, and so on until PES1 (I guess we could include ISS too, if you have enough balls to go back and play those games).

Just to be clear, this doesn’t mean I’m going against modern FIFA or PES. If you enjoy PES2018 or you’re reading this in 2019 and you believe PES2019 is the greatest game ever, I have nothing against it, by all means enjoy it. I just believe we have to create and maintain a culture of retro-football gaming to keep the passion for PES alive even among those whose passion for it either has vanished completely or is fading away – and there’s a lot of people who fit this description. Still, the culture of retro can coexist with the culture of modern gaming, we’re all free men and grown-ups here so we can play whatever we want whenever we want. This means you can enjoy the current-year’s PES AND at the same time enjoy a past PES game enough to write about it here on this topic if you feel like it.

If you’re still reading this long post, welcome to the Retro-PES Corner, the only place on Earth where you’re actually encouraged to write thousand-word posts about videogames that were released back when Robben and Iniesta still had hair.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Configuring your emulator for Retro-PES games
  • [*]]
Great post you sounded like My Name is Earl there!

1659673060028.png1659673150252.png

Ok guys, so I FINALLY finished changing all Korean and Japanese players' nationalities to "FREE" in my version of JLWE9 AC for Master League price purposes! :TU: (I changed all of J-League 1 and 2, K-League, and the few Korean and Japanese players in other leagues using the internal editor). But I still have a few questions. :)

- As you can see above, in Others - Japan, there are 7 Japanese players whose nationality I can't change (the nationality option does not appear). Will these players appear in Master League possible players, and if so, how can I fix their prices and/or nationality?

- In terms of the Korean and Japanese National Team members, these players also have fixed nationality. Will they appear in my Master League?

- The game has a "default ML roster" which includes Korean and Japanese players (replacing Dodo, Huylens, Stremer, Ximelez, etc). I can't find these players anywhere in the edit menu. Will these players appear in ML?

- Are there other Korean or Japanese "Free Agents" or otherwise other players that I could be missing?

Maybe @vialli82 , @marqisspes6 , @geeeeee can give me a hand with this, or if anyone else can answer my questions, that'd be cool. :TU: Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
View attachment 172011View attachment 172012

Ok guys, so I FINALLY finished changing all Korean and Japanese players' nationalities to "FREE" in my version of JLWE9 AC for Master League price purposes! :TU: (I changed all of J-League 1 and 2, K-League, and the few Korean and Japanese players in other leagues using the internal editor). But I still have a few questions. :)

- As you can see above, in Others - Japan, there are 7 Japanese players whose nationality I can't change (the nationality option does not appear). Will these players appear in Master League possible players, and if so, how can I fix their prices and/or nationality?

- In terms of the Korean and Japanese National Team members, these players also have fixed nationality. Will they appear in my Master League?

- The game has a "default ML roster" which includes Korean and Japanese players (replacing Dodo, Huylens, Stremer, Ximelez, etc). I can't find these players anywhere in the edit menu. Will these players appear in ML?

- Are there other Korean or Japanese "Free Agents" or otherwise other players that I could be missing?

Maybe @vialli82 , @marqisspes6 , @geeeeee can give me a hand with this, or if anyone else can answer my questions, that'd be cool. :TU: Thanks in advance!!
I think those can't be edited with internal editor, and yes probably will appear at the ML

Of course they will appears, like any Free agents. That version also got NT if i remember well?
Now that i remember there's something you probably won't like : it's another problem : any of those player can be selected to i don't know, Greece, Venezuela, Morocco... Every single NT.
If you don't mind then i'll pass and check another way.

I ain't that sure you can edit their NT @marqisspes6 : they're linked to Japan NT...

Now it's became complicated for editing, because there's 3 or 4 ML thing i ain't sure for PS2 versions.

The only way that you can't do with the editor or an OF editor is to add the players with his "real" ID, not the "Japan/Korean" ID, and replace it with a real database, not OF editor. There's a converter here, but i ain't sure it works for PS2 versions. No idea how to found the real ID.

As i saw, they lost 50 points without the hidden stats (normally it's 350)

Perhaps there's a way but i ain't sure mate, you need to check on ML test...
1st System / Simple

-Base copy those players on "Created Players / ML". Leave them as a free players if ever you wants to buy them, with Free NT.
-Put for them "1" on every stats for those Japan Free players (not a single club will buy them, they won't be selected for NT neither)

Problem:
the only thing i'm not sure, because that's a problem in some older PS3 or PS4 PES : is that the players created couldn't be brought or exchanged by anything but your club. For that, perhaps someone else may help.
Personally i avoid it for my OF, but take it with a grain of salt, if the created players are registered to a team like PES/WE United or whatever could resolve the supposed issue for buying/exchanging on every teams. Didn't tested but it's logic

... Or i'm perhaps simply WRONG (i hope, but never get the time to test) and those players could be brought by any teams in the game.
Someone else more ML than me may just told you if i'm wrong or right ;)
That's a question i need to know too. So guys if you may answers to that, thanks in advance

Millos, you have to make beta-test about some stuffs. If you don't mind about the problems, then it's fine ;)

I don't know if there's so much problem in the following versions, for JL2007 i didn't checked, but perhaps for JL2007 there's no more problem like this as there's no NT (or just like every DLC for Winning eleven from PES 2009 or 2009 to 2014)

One last thing : try to register the modified Free NT players and check others who aren't on any clubs, create them, and register them to Korean and Japan NT ;)

Edit @millossobek as it's kinda important:

Perhaps also if you change to Free NT one player which is also on Korean or Japan NT : he could be duplicated. Or if it's the ID only that matters, then no problem. But some which are linked can't have their NT modified, so back to phase 1 for NT "Create and register with Free NT and register them to their NT + change the removed player to "1" on every stats...
Be careful about it bro, it's a real pain those Asian Championship versions ML.

Man those Japan and Korean associations were very "stick in the ass" like we said in french, with their communist system about players points or stats, it's a pain in the ass for having an accurate ML :YAWN:

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your ideas man! :TU: Yeah, I was about to edit my post, since I just saw that the Korean and Japanese NT players appeared in a newly created ML.. And they all had 300 price.. Seems logical, but still I wanted to double check..

I'm gonna try all of your suggestions bro.. First with the internal editor, and if those don't work for some reason, then I will probably send you a PM :LMAO:I am determined to get this ML experience in JLWE9AC right! Again thanks. :)

The other thing I was thinking of @vialli82 is.. I probably won't play NT or any other international cups in JLWE9AC. I want to strictly play club football in this one. :) So what I was thinking was.. How about putting all stats to 1 for all Korean and Japanese NT players, and then simply exchange them with any other players from other nationalities? Maybe that could work, I don't think anyone would hire 1-rated players in ML haha.. In anycase, I have a lot of testing to do like you mention. ;)

I re-edited my post already edited as i forgot to mention one thing to probably do in more.

I know you won't play NT but it may create duplicates.

No, it's not a "club only" issues : is just that Free NT system is just an open bar to have your player called to Qatar or whatever low rated team while you're playing, which could annoy you, it's just to prevent lol

Last edited:
Another way, more suitable to me at least about NT calls:

Settle them with an NT which isn't in game except the one your will create to register for Japan NT is perhaps a better solution.
So not a single NT will call them; as they just can't :TTTH:
But you can't do anything bu register at least 23 players in Japan NT/Free NT, it's an obligation to have NT full of players 😉

Maybe that could work, I don't think anyone would hire 1-rated players in ML haha.. In anycase, I have a lot of testing to do like you mention. ;)

For the non-signing it's a longgg time system, i never get one of those players signed and call them "Dummy", from PS2 to PS4 ;)
But if you follow those instructions, it's a bit annoying i know but it should be fine... Normally (never said never with PES, even PS2 era got their package of weirdos stuffs)

@millossobek i know @marqisspes6 and @vialli82 have answered your questions already, but just to confirm you can only edit some player’s nationality using an external editor. Don’t you have one for the version you are playing?

I find that it helps a lot because i have even found players that are not in their national team but their nationality still cannot be edited. But the external editor solves that problem.

@vialli82 you mentioned during a ML that a free nationality player can be called up to any national team. But I thought that the game never tells you what country called them up (not in 2008) so i just imagine that Japan or South Korea have summoned them. :)

What is slightly annoying though is when registering players for their national team using the ’in game’ editor, then all the Free players appear too. Only a minor issue for me though ;)

All the talk of faces from WE8 yesterday made me curious to search for more, I found remodeled faces for Luis Enrique which never made it into PES 4?
Base Profile Screenshot 2022.08.04 - 21.13.06.72.png
One for Overmars who retired by PES 4's release too?
Base Profile Screenshot 2022.08.04 - 21.12.50.18.png
And finally more interestingly, Van Nistlerooy was still using his PES 3 face for WE8, His gets remade for PES 4.
Base Profile Screenshot 2022.08.04 - 21.17.36.12.png

Last edited:
@millossobek i know @marqisspes6 and @vialli82 have answered your questions already, but just to confirm you can only edit some player’s nationality using an external editor. Don’t you have one for the version you are playing?

I find that it helps a lot because i have even found players that are not in their national team but their nationality still cannot be edited. But the external editor solves that problem.

@vialli82 you mentioned during a ML that a free nationality player can be called up to any national team. But I thought that the game never tells you what country called them up (not in 2008) so i just imagine that Japan or South Korea have summoned them. :)

What is slightly annoying though is when registering players for their national team using the ’in game’ editor, then all the Free players appear too. Only a minor issue for me though ;)
Free players appearing? I don't understand. If you talk about duplicates on Free Agents : they disappears from ML once they're on Free Agents since always :)

There's also the players disappearing while you're editing with the PC editor "Not Registered", it's boring as it looks kinda random and may happen to any team. Simple as you just got to remove the "Not Registred" and another one appears like magic, but checking every teams at each new import... Is boring.

But i got one question through, about "Created players/ML": if you don't register them to a team for example, i know you can buy some in ML... But does the others clubs can? When they're registered to a team yes, it's logic.

Now if they're free agents, it's different : i could create some players that will be signed like the one that will be signed in Winter without being annoyed at all, because only me can buy them. I know players you create for National doesn't appears in ML at all, i never use that section to create.

Thanks for the answers, even if you say "i don't know" haha

All the tall of faces from WE8 yesterday made me curious to search for more, I found remodeled faces for Luis Enrique which never made it into PES 4?
View attachment 172061
One for Overmars who retired by PES 4's release too?

And finally more interestingly, Van Nistlerooy was still using his PES 3 face for WE8, His gets remade for PES 4.
View attachment 172063

That first "face half chin/mouth with no teeth + let's do the rest of of the face with the half remaining" and the horse combo face/hairstyle fron Ruud always maked me laugh when i came back to check them.

They were a bit looking like that, but not that caricatural. When i watched a game with those two (and some others players) PES faces were remaining in my mind and i sawed them both like Horseface and All-in-Chin.
Many of us were in the same case, lobotomised by Konami's stuffs i suppose

Hi bros!

@geeeeee Thanks for the response bro! I really don't know how to use external editors for PS2 games.. I've never really used them. Maybe you could show me which one I could use?

Anyway, following @vialli82 's instructions, I created "duplicates" for the Japanese and Korean national team and put all the "real" players in unposted with "overall 1" stats. I didn't even have to assign the duplicates to the Club either, because even after assigning "overall 1" stats, for example Nakamura in the Japanese NT, his version at Celtic was unchanged, his original stats remained! :TU:

1659718977710.png1659719019544.png

But I still have one problem regarding the nationalities: The ML default players! As you guys can see here, JLWE9AC has some defaullt Korean and Japanese players in ML which replace some of the original ones, and these guys, I can't change their nationalties with the internal editor, and their prices in ML remain 300. (There are 3 ML default teams, ML Default, ML Korea, and ML Japan).

1659719314704.png1659719254293.png1659719280551.png

Oh, and of course there are also these players, whose nationality I can't change either:

1659719396940.png

So anyway, I think that's the only thing left to solve! (Aside from changing the "FREE" nationality players to a nationality not present in game like vialli mentioned). Wondering if you guys knew how to solve these issues. Aside from that, I think I might be good to go! Thanks a lot bros! :TU:

Last edited:
You can create them, and put "1" to the real player ;) They will be duplicated but never been choosen in the Japan squad.

But for the ML players, no other way if even you can't change them to Free NT as there's no editor for that unique version to switch them with some other.
What i was doing with the editor, is first creating the player with a free NT, and then base copy him over the other player (with the OF2 base copy option)

If you took a real team there's no problem : same stuff (put 1 on every stats, and they will be like dummies, free agents) but if you really want to start an ML with those fakes players... You got to deal with them and their 300 points.

Don't forget that there's youth appearing Japanese and Korean in the future, "Hidden Youth ML players" on the long terms will appears and like the others may cost 300 points. Perhaps those one can got a real value with another NT, but without an external editor it's dead.

You really want an Asian Championship mate, personally i given up to play ML with that version since a long time :LOL:
Edit: i ain't too much interested by those teams from that era in fact, it's the only continent i prefers now than before.

Except for JL2007 and JL2008 with all clubs and marqispes editor, some change and let's go ;)
Without Asians leagues... But what i care the most is having a real second division for the first time on PS2 : not 8 teams mixed.

Last edited:
1659720957380.png

Hey man! :TU: Actually these guys aren't from the Japanese NT, they are in Others - Japan. I'm not even exactly sure where they appear in game haha..

I can't really create duplicates for these guys, the game won't allow me to replace them either.. So I was thinking, maybe just put all their stats to 1?

As for the ML default players, my idea is to take a "real team" for now.. The thing is, in "Edit mode" there is no way to access these default ML players to change their stats to 1..

Yes bro, as you know I really like this edition, and Asian football in general, from that era and from the present. Haha.. lots of questions bro I know.. :LOL: Just want to get this right so I can finally start my ML. ;)

Last edited:
There just here for Japanese people to select them when they're part of a competition or a single game.
And Free Agents in ML too :)
Those ones plays in Europe average teams often, middle class Germany or high ranked Austria... German talkers like japanese lol

But his face still on Preset until the very last PES if i'm right, same as the hairstyle on "Preset hairstyle 1" even if they fucking removed the possiblity to take EVERY hairstyle... Sad. There was 1000 hairstyle in i don't remember which PES....
You can always make a base copy with an external editor to have the preset, but good luck to research the right one + you can't change hair color.

I saw on YT someone which has unlocked those hairstyle 2, and choose them. It was on PSP i think. I lost my time 1 hour to research how to unlock it then i stopped. Not need that much, but i was jealous seeing him navigate in the countless hairstyle 2 lol.

Like Zambrotta with grey's eyes. He got very black eyes, so black that it shine but whatever : they through it was "dark grey 2" instead of "black 2"

I never founded his face well made in any PES, except perhaps in one very old (PES 1 or 2 i don't remember)

Edit: They did the same for Del Piero eyes (i found his face nice done on practically every PES in counterpart) but him it's kinda hard to guess : it's brown but clearer than in game, with some shades of green (in estate with the sun, sometimes eyes colors changes). There's some colors missing but well i'm good with it.

I modded those two with black and brown eyes and only that makes their regard much more lookalike. Green for Pinturicchio was clearer enough, but the color wasn't accurate, too green (of course if i choose green lol). Hard for some players.

Last edited:
On WE8, Baggio made his last appearance in the game before joining the Classic Team.

View attachment 172132

View attachment 172133
One last thing, i never took a smaller team so much than Brescia when he was playing there. From any games.
Plus, i'm half sided from Brescia lol so i was happy that he played there.

I don't know, the old Baggio was one of the funnier fantasista to play for me, way more than his youth version. His steps were very ressembling to the games i watched on Italian TV every Sunday. He did incredibile things with that team, alone, and not because all the players given him the ball, i remember it very well.

Hello guys, can anyone help me solve this epsxe problem?
I have stuttering problems and the players seem to disappear and reappear.

It happens with every iso I try, but I don't know how to set epsxe plugins correctly.
The last year I played with the same pc without these issues.

I was full Epsxe before didn't want to hear about any other Psone Emulator, but not so long : i discovered and decided to try "Duckstation" a new PSX emulator, from comparative vids i falls on (by total hazard) and recommands.
It's much more easy to configure (smoothing sprite, resolution, scanlines etc.) and it runs PS games better overall.
You add some shaders but it's not necessary everything is on the package.

My suggestion @Fabri55 switch on Duckstation, makes the changes you wants or needs and see if the problem persist (sometimes it's due to a bad patch). That emulator is more recent, so more fit to the actual PC's etc. everything seems to run smoother and faster.

I was full Epsxe before didn't want to hear about any other Psone Emulator, but not so long : i discovered and decided to try "Duckstation" a new PSX emulator, from comparative vids i falls on (by total hazard) and recommands.
It's much more easy to configure (smoothing sprite, resolution, scanlines etc.) and it runs PS games better overall.
You add some shaders but it's not necessary everything is on the package.

My suggestion @Fabri55 switch on Duckstation, makes the changes you wants or needs and see if the problem persist (sometimes it's due to a bad patch). That emulator is more recent, so more fit to the actual PC's etc. everything seems to run smoother and faster.
Thanks a lot.
I'll try it and let you know :))

Back
Top Bottom