The Retro-PES Corner

One thing I noticed about PES 2013 is that I feel gameplay and graphics change quite a bit depending on the patch. For example, my first experience with PES 2013 was with a South American patch called Icaro Tricolor and even though it's very well made in terms of having a lot of players, kits, stadiums, and teams, I felt like the gameplay and the graphics were not as good. Now that I've switched to PesEdit patch, I've noticed a considerable improvement, both in gameplay (the game seems a bit more balanced), and graphics (I can really sense a change in graphics quality, in the pitch, players, atmosphere, etc..). Maybe it's just my impression, and perhaps it has to do with stats, but it seems like PesEdit overall experience is much more satisfying than with the first patch I played.
That's because PESEdit didn't really change much from the vanilla game other than kits, badges and names etc. They might even throw in some extra faces if they were consistent with Konami's art style. That's why everything looked more cohesive with their patches.

Most other patches are made by people who just don't know what the fuck they're doing or have any artistic or cosmetic undestanding so you end up with terrible music, ghastly menus and neon green pitches with HD faces that look like novelty masks.

Just correct the bare essentials and if I wanna modify a bunch assets, let me do it myself!

I prefer Ronaldinho's hairstyle on WE7 rather than the one he had on WE8-WE10
The problem with his WE7 hair is that it's a straight Haired, Petit or Prso styled ponytail and not loose jheri curl style suited for afro players like Ronaldinho.

Konami hadn't modeled one yet and once Ronaldinho become a priority model for PES 4, They made the style he was using then, just too bad they had to forgoe the hair physics in favour of stability for the graphics which used so much resources, they had to start disabling the already low resolution crowd on the wide camera angle 😅.

Yeah, Ronaldinho was one of those high profile players that for some reason, Konami never remade his model over 3 games (PES 4 - 6) despite it not only being needed but also because they were updating lesser known players faces each year who really didn't need updating.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Rooney also kept the same damn models for too long too, In PES 4, Konami clearly based all their new faces on players appearances over summer/Euro 2004 including a newly shaved headed Beckham... But C. Ronaldo and Rooney were clearly based on their appearance from 2003. by 2004, Ronaldo didn't have the messy curly hair look he had in the game and started spiking it up and probably should have had Cassano's hair model and Rooney had started growing his out a bit more.

Nowadays, they needlessly update Neymar, Messi and Griezmann 3 times over the course of a year only for it to go out of date when the DLC pack goes live.

But C. Ronaldo and Rooney were clearly based on their appearance from 2003. by 2004, Ronaldo didn't have the messy curly hair look he had in the game and started spiking it up and probably should have had Cassano's hair model and Rooney had started growing his out a bit more.

I noticed that for WE 8 (Japan) and WE 9 (Japan), they used players' hair style between April - June.

Beckham May 22, 2005 - WE 9 (Japan)
View attachment 166033 View attachment 166034

Fernando Torres (second game in Euro 2004) / (last game in Euro 2004) - WE 8 (Japan)

View attachment 166037View attachment 166039View attachment 166040

Raul Bravo (April) / June - WE 8 (Japan)

View attachment 166042 View attachment 166043View attachment 166044

Cristiano Ronaldo (April) / (June) 2004 - WE 8 (Japan)

cristiano-ronaldo-of-manchester-united-celebrates-in-the-dressing-picture-id50887721
sport-football-uefa-european-championships-euro-2004-jose-alvalade-picture-id78990215
View attachment 166047
Well, not exactly.

In an old post, I explained why Ronaldo hairstyle was based on June 2004, so during Euro 2004.

Speaking of which, in 2004 Raul got an update after 3 months, based on Euro 2004. Probably they forgot to update it for WE 8 (J).

WE 8 (Japan)

View attachment 171916
Wow, his WE8 face is really good, I had no idea Konami made another face for him other than the better known PES 4 version.

They did something similar with Michael Owen. The face he has on the PES 4 demo is much better than the one he had on the final game.

Wow, an old guys challenge! This sounds quite fun, the idea of aging players that are on the decline and start a story like that. is a great one Also, I think that creating a team is really fun. I've done it a few times with my ML stories (remember Comizzo's Gunma United, haha although this was in PES 2021).. I love the idea of creating a logo, team, even invent "fake players" which all adds to the immersion!

Are PES 08 still Castolo, Minanda and the good ol' boys? :LOL:
Whenever I start an ML I always use home made "Defaults" and a mixture of obscure retro players. Gerrard Rodax anyone? Or Hellers a dude from Luxembourg used to play for S Liege. Legend in my ML world, along with a 20 year version of yours truly😄

Btw Beckham's head was shaved two months before the Euro
He never should've shaved his head. He was never the same once he did, it's like he became twice as slow overnight and lost his penalty kick mojo. 😭

In the Adidas trailer before Euro 2004, he had these wonderful long blonde locks. Both him & Totti looked like fucking rockstars man.

All those stars from that era man... There too much footy charisma and testosterone in comparison to following eras, from practically 15 years to now.

Even a baldy Zidane was more stylish than tons of actual football stars. Well there's exceptions (to me Ronnie fits in the old/new regarding style, but on the pitch... He was someone else)

No "boomer" view, just a fact.

Also regarding preset face, there's something quite weird regarding PES 2008 PS2 : some looks really weird like a mask on the Edit Mode, normally copy-paste from the PS360 version...
But in game, on the pitch, some looks way better. Like i checked John Terry for example : i think it's related to the "side part" face which was more re-worked and take in account than in PS2 presets.

As i've made countless facebuilds from PES 2019 to 2021 especially Bundes, i've always took a look from a view from the side. I wasn't that much regarding about faces, but since the HD/4K etc. and the fact that you see much more the player from every angle than from the front...
Some exports with in-game facebuild looked "normal/good" from the front, but they was like super weird from the side with an hyper long chin or nose, a mouth like if the guy didn't have tooth etc.
FFS, i don't ask to have perfect build, but at least watch what it looks from the side angle, rectify it for a more human than alien looking.
It's often shooking in game. But actuals "option files" editor are so often doing fast job, hair, name, a bit stats for the OVR, kits/emblems (the most important for them) and it's okay. People's are fooled and think to play with the real, for example, Bolivia, Korean, or Sweden league...

Well i understand it's hard and you need to sort out something quick as people can't wait. But rework it, takes notes, for damn sake. There some one guys army doing better on PESGAMING sharing their stuffs and unkown.

On PS2 era you couldn't set the side part, but it was okay in SD and predefined for the side. It wasn't very precise, but as it was "regular" that doesn't took that much importance than on PS4 version... Well PS360 too, but lesser, and lesser the game evolved in terms of lighting and all.

Edit: Konami in-game face building system should have been simplified for not having those issues.
Perhaps even with less accurate face builds or different, but a bit more user friendly. A bit like Fifa.

Not 6-7 noses you can modify 30 parameters +7 to -7 but the opposite : 30 types of nose/eyes/brows you can modify 6-7 parameters. I'm used too right now but it's super tiresome for some players.

Last edited:
because they were updating lesser known players faces each year who really didn't need updating.
I can mention counter-examples

Daniel Alves had the same costumed face since 2004. (WE 8 (j) - PES6).
The same for Higuain who had the same CF based on his 2005 hairstyle (WE10-PES 2008), that's why he had a shaved head

I find the photo that PES have used to create Higuain hair and face for PES 6 and 2008

View attachment 135818 View attachment 135819

Some were failed yes like always (edit: ha yes his bandana he weared once a while during perhaps 3 UCL games:LMAO:), but overall in comparison to what you see on Edit mode VS on the pitch : it looked much more okay than what i through regarding all the remade presets.

I checked with the replay and all, and they didn't looked so weird, as i said some were even worst on edit mode but better on the pitch.
PES 2014 PS2 got some big fails in counterpart, Pirlo haircut looks is looking like a squared hairstyle from a girl, i've laughed alone when i saw it while playing.

Edit:
But in counterpart, body builds were improved tooks from PS3 version, more human/less big (even if i like the basics PS2 body builds, nice rendered in-game, as a basic model it was OK during 2002-03 to 2007-08 era too, no one ever complained about it, so)

Last edited:
All those stars from that era man... There too much footy charisma and testosterone in comparison to following eras, from practically 15 years to now.

Even a baldy Zidane was more stylish than tons of actual football stars. Well there's exceptions (to me Ronnie fits in the old/new regarding style, but on the pitch... He was someone else)

No "boomer" view, just a fact.
I can't believe Zidane was the same age I am now when he retired from Football. The game is much more intense and faster than it was in 2006 yet players are playing longer than he did too.

PES 2014 PS2 got some big fails in counterpart, Pirlo haircut looks is looking like a squared hairstyle from a girl, i've laughted when i saw it while playing.
It made me cry so bad, I mean I love watching faces in Edit Mode, and I like seeing low quality faces, but Pirlo? Seriously?! What have you done to my father? He just had a great face/hair after the over-stretched one he had from PES 2010-12. If you pay a little attention to his haircut in PES 2014, it looks very similar to a hair from PES 2013 PS3

Also regarding preset face, there's something quite weird regarding PES 2008 PS2 : some looks really weird like a mask on the Edit Mode, normally copy-paste from the PS360 version...
But in game, on the pitch, some looks way better. Like i checked John Terry for example : i think it's related to the "side part" face which was more re-worked and take in account than in PS2 presets.
Yeah I think the more experienced artists & face makers migrated over to work on the next gen versions of the game and the less experienced ones worked on the new PS2 faces which is why they're so cursed/nightmarish.

Konami in-game face building system should have been simplified for not having those issues.
Perhaps even with less accurate face builds or different, but a bit more user friendly. A bit like Fifa.

Not 6-7 noses you can modify 30 parameters +7 to -7 but the opposite : 30 types of nose/eyes/brows you can modify 6-7 parameters. I'm used too right now but it's super tiresome for some players.
When you go back to PES 1 & 2, The simplicity of the faces meant that generic faces and real faces are of the same quality, you can barely recognise Figo, Beckham & Zidane etc but you know it's them. There's a charm to those games artstyles.

Once they started sculpting head models with high fidelity in PES 4, they stood out even more against the build faces.

Back
Top Bottom