The Retro-PES Corner

Do you know if this is for only Korean and Japanese players or does it apply to all Asian players in JLWE9 AC? (I mean the 300 points cost in ML). Man it would be so much easier if there was just a way to convert them all to "free" nationality, like with an external editor.. It's probably going to take a long while to do them one by one! :LOL:

In PES2008 it is only Korean and Japanese players, not sure about JLWE9 AC players though.:)

I tried some stuffs like base copying with the editor Jap players also on PES 2008, but they still got 350 points.
Kinda annoying yes.

You can replace the whole Japan and Korean NT players and create youths took from JL who got "really" 350 points hahaha.
That the only solution regarding NT

... But i won't lol. I take it as a gift for having more Jap players or Korean (less) on my team 🙃

EDIT/
I've made a "bad" move before editing that post.
That's why the player kept 350 as he still japanese, but still no other solution :

-I base copied YANO / Japan striker > (real cost : 799) with the editor. Switched to "No Nationality".
-Start an ML test.. Now he's on the Japan National team (Free Nationality) but he cost 241 points :LMAO:

If you change stats, the "350" based will change too. I'm 100% sure it's due to the Hidden stats "transforming" the player in 350.
The only way to completely remove like in PES 5 those players, is if they got a counterpart in game. I remember this about registering Nakamura, another Winger etc. > the other Japanese player disappeared and the points count was OK.

(edited) As JLWE9AC don't have that added hidden stats, i suppose you won't get the same issue @millossobek

Last edited:
I kinda miss when a simple standing contrast could randomly led you to yellow card.. used to happen all the way to Pes 3 and was toned down to nothing from 5 or even 4 onwards iirc.. but this one is simply ridiculous indeed 😅
IIRC PES 5, some refs blow the whistle a lot to contacts, or if we abuse the :x: button.

Especially for modern standards, there are a lot of fouling there Some people still complain that the games stops too frequent.

Now as for bookings i agree, for the earlier versions. My opinion is, when the game was in its young stages, there where more things like that, wrong bookings, or more pyros, or the booing from the crowd.

But i believe, as the game transformed from a semi-indie Japanese bootleg, to a solid trademark, it became more "political correct".

Also, in that ps2 games, that tou could pick referee, the Greek one, Pedro or Pabro Sofia, he was a terrible ref, giving always fouls, some out of context contacts, and other false decisions, he was as terrible as Greek referees IRL basically.

Hey guys, I need some help. Lately I've had the tingle to replay a ML with Pes 08 on pc, possibly with some custom spicy rule. Problem is that I have a french version.. and while of course it's still quite easy to navigate, I'd prefer an english (or even italian in the improbable chance somebody does have it) one for full ease. Do somebody have the language files? Or know where I can get one in english? Thank you :))

EDIT: NVM, I found an italian one :SMUG:

Last edited:
Hey guys, I need some help. Lately I've had the tingle to replay a ML with Pes 08 on pc, possibly with some custom spicy rule. Problem is that I have a french version.. and while of course it's still quite easy to navigate, I'd prefer an english (or even italian in the improbable chance somebody does have it) one for full ease. Do somebody have the language files? Or know where I can get one in english? Thank you :))

EDIT: NVM, I found an italian one :SMUG:
Looking forward to hearing what ML you decide to play bro. :TU: ML original members or team members?

Looking forward to hearing what ML you decide to play bro. :TU: ML original members or team members?
Thanks mate! My idea was to do another old guys challenge (only 33+ years players) as I already did in the past, so to create a baddish team of like 18 players that age and add in a balanced fashion others later (of course some aged star as well that shouldn't be too op thanks to the growth decline). Problem is that, briefly exploring ML in 08 pc, I rediscovered you can still create a team from zero as an option (thought they removed it at this point lol) but when you go adjust your roster you can only add players to the default ones as much as a meager base budget allows.. so in synthesis, no more than 2-3 kinda mediocre or a single good one (reminds me as it was in the WE8/PES 4 era), so it turns out my original idea isn't doable. I could always edit a team in edit mode but I don't go crazy doing it that way, so I'll probably just start with the defaults and maybe a keeper, and buy players little by little.. still have to decide btw.

Another annoying thing is that the edit for the kits is incredibly barebones.. just like about 15 models you can't even mix up. Kinda sucks for me as when I do a team from zero I usually already spend a lot of times creating the right shirts for the occasion, and with those limited options it's even harder.. but I don't want to wail too much, I'll just go for some more basic stuff :D or maybe I'll pick an existing team and start full default, I don't know :).

Last edited:
Wow, an old guys challenge! This sounds quite fun, the idea of aging players that are on the decline and start a story like that. is a great one Also, I think that creating a team is really fun. I've done it a few times with my ML stories (remember Comizzo's Gunma United, haha although this was in PES 2021).. I love the idea of creating a logo, team, even invent "fake players" which all adds to the immersion!

maybe I'll pick an existing team and start full default,

Are PES 08 still Castolo, Minanda and the good ol' boys? :LOL:

Wow, an old guys challenge! This sounds quite fun, the idea of aging players that are on the decline and start a story like that. is a great one Also, I think that creating a team is really fun. I've done it a few times with my ML stories (remember Comizzo's Gunma United, haha although this was in PES 2021).. I love the idea of creating a logo, team, even invent "fake players" which all adds to the immersion!
Yes, definitely! It also makes for a very good self limit regarding market and team building. I think when a game doesn't give you important boundaries itself in buying players, it's often a good thing to establish your own ones, or it all risk to become too "generic".

Are PES 08 still Castolo, Minanda and the good ol' boys? :LOL:
Oh yes! Our boys were in up to Pes 12. It's in 13 onwards that they decided to introduce the new soulless ones :CRY:

So, Santos FC appeared for the first time in PES/ WE serie not with PES 2012, but with WE 9 (Japan) as an unlicened team.

Robinho (Raddinha) had a wrong preset face, with Govou's face.

But why PES 5 didn't have Santos FC in Other League B ?

gsdx_20220803112318.png

So, Santos FC appeared for the first time in PES/ WE serie not with PES 2012, but with WE 9 (Japan) as an unlicened team.

Robinho (Raddinha) had a wrong preset face, with Govou's face.

But why PES 5 didn't have Santos FC in Other League B ?

View attachment 171731
That is so bizzare, why Santos of all teams and why Govou of all faces. Back when Konami recycled real faces, If I remember correctly; didn't they give Didier Drogba, Edgar Davids face once?

If I remember correctly; didn't they give Didier Drogba, Edgar Davids face once?
No. Drogba had a custom face. That was Louis Saha who had Davids' face

Until WE 10, they used preset faces for two players that had face similarity. For e.g. Coloccini had Forlan's face. I find it as an idotic idea

With PES6, there's no more " sharing preset faces "

No. Drogba had a custom face. That was Louis Saha who had Davids' face

Until WE 10, they used preset faces for two players that had face similarity. For e.g. Coloccini had Forlan's face. I find it as an idotic idea

With PES6, there's no more " sharing preset faces "
Thanks, you have excellent knowledge of Konami' s editing practices for this era.

Yeah I never used to like it either, but the problem is the preset faces stood out so much in terms of quality amoungst the build faces, it was jarring. This was a problem for both PES & FIFA all the way up until recently, where the quality of generic faces are a bit more consistent.

The patched Retro Games we have now are a. Godsend in terms of having a vast collection of faces for virtually every player. It's the perfect way to play PES 5. When I first played the FLS patch, I nearly cried. My childhood had been remastered!

@H_G slots were very limited, and adding one team means removing another, sad but it still like this until the very last PES or WE on PS2.
Wasn't the same season and they acquired Djurgardens licence (not the best choice but perhaps for having a Swedish club, i don't know)

>W9 All leagues + 20 extra teams, 16 European and 4 South Americans
>PES5 All leagues + 20 extra teams, 17 Europeans but 3 South Americans (out Santos / in Djurgardens)

I remember they kept that team until PES 6.
Not present in PES 2008 But there's tons of teams licenced already replacing them / and Helsinsborg just for Henrik Larsson figured in the game : the Sweden football association was thankful for that and they gained more Swedish clubs licence (just counted right now : 5 in total lol)... But weirdly in the same time Djurgardens (Sweden too) disappeared, perhaps because they failed a bit on previous season no idea.

Even balance. Too easy to score for me, 2.5 engine most balanced to me is without contest PES 2011.

PES 2013 is praised for his AI variety i think, but i don't care when player weight 20kg same as the ball, i kinda hate it. And the fake inertia was bad in comparison to PES 2011 for example. There's no physicality (some don't care and prefers to put other things in front, i respect them... But to me it's a big fundamental)
Also, it could be just me but it seems very open to counter attack whatever teams i choose :
when you can't catch a player with the ball going straight forward with an average speed with your defender... On a short distance okay, but it happened from the midfield to the goal every time i play.

Some don't care and like it, prefers to focus on AI and all, but physical and (it's linked) players behavior logic cames first. Then for football tactics : i kinda like something solid and following instructions more than some kind of "human" variety as a game.

That's perhaps why PES 2011 is my favourite from PS3 era, as everything is in place, even if it could become repetitive (i felt that on some games in P11, but not every games) there's enough tactics and players likenesses to change the game.

Well, preferences, tastes... Are a thing, but there's some facts. I don't know sometimes if you talk about games with tons of gameplay mods or something, but PES 2013 is far from being super balanced (a bit too much offensive/easy to score, no physicality etc.) and hard neither.

One question :
On every PES PS2 i remember we complaining about the flanks while defending and attacking : some played with 4 CB.
It's a bit less in WE9 (i think it's the only one), and PES 2008 a bit as it's inspired by but still : side defending was important and we (on Wearepes) always been a subject of discussion.
Also, the AI is not too praised : what's maked the most was the ball physics completely unpredictable and the super important timing, the 8/16 directions while running vs the TONS of ball shades, rebound etc.

Last edited:
i played pes 11 and 12 after a two seasons ML in pes 13 and it looked just like a "worsened" version of pes 13

it was funny because i remember pes 11 and 12 to be the games that i played the most, and in ML especially

Even balance. Too easy to score for me, 2.5 engine most balanced to me is without contest PES 2011.

PES 2013 is praised for his AI variety i think, but i don't care when player weight 20kg same as the ball, i kinda hate it. And the fake inertia was bad in comparison to PES 2011 for example. There's no physicality (some don't care and prefers to put other things in front, i respect them... But to me it's a big fundamental)
Also, it could be just me but it seems very open to counter attack whatever teams i choose :
when you can't catch a player with the ball going straight forward with an average speed with your defender... On a short distance okay, but it happened from the midfield to the goal every time i play.

Some don't care and like it, prefers to focus on AI and all, but physical and (it's linked) players behavior logic cames first. Then for football tactics : i kinda like something solid and following instructions more than some kind of "human" variety as a game.

That's perhaps why PES 2011 is my favourite from PS3 era, as everything is in place, even if it could become repetitive (i felt that on some games in P11, but not every games) there's enough tactics and players likenesses to change the game.

Well, preferences, tastes... Are a thing, but there's some facts. I don't know sometimes if you talk about games with tons of gameplay mods or something, but PES 2013 is far from being super balanced (a bit too much offensive/easy to score, no physicality etc.) and hard neither.

One question :
On every PES PS2 i remember we complaining about the flanks while defending and attacking : some played with 4 CB.
It's a bit less in WE9 (i think it's the only one), and PES 2008 a bit as it's inspired by but still : side defending was important and we (on Wearepes) always been a subject of discussion.
Also, the AI is not too praised : what's maked the most was the ball physics completely unpredictable and the super important timing, the 8/16 directions while running vs the TONS of ball shades, rebound etc.

I would say those are some fair assessment. I need to give PES 2011 a try again. It's a game that I didn't really play that much. But you were spot on about everything in PES 2013.

One thing I noticed about PES 2013 is that I feel gameplay and graphics change quite a bit depending on the patch. For example, my first experience with PES 2013 was with a South American patch called Icaro Tricolor and even though it's very well made in terms of having a lot of players, kits, stadiums, and teams, I felt like the gameplay and the graphics were not as good. Now that I've switched to PesEdit patch, I've noticed a considerable improvement, both in gameplay (the game seems a bit more balanced), and graphics (I can really sense a change in graphics quality, in the pitch, players, atmosphere, etc..). Maybe it's just my impression, and perhaps it has to do with stats, but it seems like PesEdit overall experience is much more satisfying than with the first patch I played.

@Topaz
Time to re-learn mate, like in good old days when we switched from a PES to another (with some exception like PES 4 and 6... And all the PES PS3 2008-2009-2010).
When you figured out the timing etc., you will score enough. But not as much as PES 2013.

I seriously don't get how you guys find 2013 easy at all lol. Even tho I find it very enjoyable when I can immerse myself in a ML, I agree it has important flaws (physicality, phyisics on through balls and "nerfed" shooting variations the worse ones to me), but it's maybe the hardest of the whole pre Fox Engine whole bunch to me. Last master I did I was like 6 seasons in with a decent team and still couldn't make it in Europe.

One thing I noticed about PES 2013 is that I feel gameplay and graphics change quite a bit depending on the patch. For example, my first experience with PES 2013 was with a South American patch called Icaro Tricolor and even though it's very well made in terms of having a lot of players, kits, stadiums, and teams, I felt like the gameplay and the graphics were not as good. Now that I've switched to PesEdit patch, I've noticed a considerable improvement, both in gameplay (the game seems a bit more balanced), and graphics (I can really sense a change in graphics quality, in the pitch, players, atmosphere, etc..). Maybe it's just my impression, and perhaps it has to do with stats, but it seems like PesEdit overall experience is much more satisfying than with the first patch I played.

Agree. You also have to consider that various versions play differently from each other. For example 1.04 to me feels different than 1.03 (which was the one most patche were based on iirc)

That's why it's kinda misunderstanding when you talk about a version : i played on a version which doesn't touch anything regarding gameplay, or on PS3 or on PC (my old laptop was just the limit to play a PC version... Thankfully). But i prefered to play on PS3 for no other reason than my bigger TV and a patch lol.
I agree about different version @Madmac79

But yes, some others patchs does. Especially the new patchs coming from the last 5-7 years.

I kept the good old PESEDIT with the game vanilla, i liked the database as it was the most structured and stats Konami's lookalike (better for ML and autenthicity).

@Madmac79 i don't know, the way i play. More direct and fast paced, shooting only when i was sure it was on target. There's a lot of space to run on PES 2013 too, it's easier to get closer to the goal. Also Dribbling when necessary. Yes it look like i play like an e-sports players lol but no i switch a lot from side to midfield, and what i do very often is changing side with some longs crosses.
The game should force me for not playing like that. That's not the case with PES 2013. But tons of PES blocked me to goes forward, like PES 1, 5, 2008 (PS2), even PES 2011. When i see an open space, no gift for the CPU.

Last edited:
I seriously don't get how you guys find 2013 easy at all lol. Even tho I find it very enjoyable when I can immerse myself in a ML, I agree it has important flaws (physicality, phyisics on through balls and "nerfed" shooting variations the worse ones to me), but it's maybe the hardest of the whole pre Fox Engine whole bunch to me. Last master I did I was like 6 seasons in with a decent team and still couldn't make it in Europe.

Agree. You also have to consider that various versions play differently from each other. For example 1.04 to me feels different than 1.03 (which was the one most patche were based on iirc)

PES 2012 is extremely hard. How do you even defend on that game?

@Madmac79 i don't know, the way i play. More direct and fast paced, shooting only when i was sure it was on target. There's a lot of space to run on PES 2013 too, it's easier to get closer to the goal. Also Dribbling when necessary. Yes it look like i play like an e-sports players lol but no i switch a lot from side to midfield, and what i do very often is changing side with some longs crosses.

Feels like I'm playing a different game hahaha, I remember so many cursed matches it felt like I was playing in the mud and couldn't score a goal or produce a chance to save my life.. but ok, I guess it's the nice thing of different point of views. For example I've always found 11 way easier than both 13 and 12.. not easy on his own, as you maybe remember to me 11 it's probably the most perfectly balanced game out of all the 08-13 gen, but I need way less time to be competitve starting from the defaults. Iirc correctly you don't even play much ML, must be another reason why our experiences differs a lot.
PES 2012 is extremely hard. How do you even defend on that game?
Oh I completely agree, last time I picked it seriously it was a lot of time ago but it's another super hard game. To add to what I said before, to me both 12-13 are the hardest one in absolute pre-Fox.

I only tried PES 2012 once, but from what I remember, it had a new kind of defensive system in which you have to "time" your tackles, kind of like tactical defending in FIFA. I guess there was quite a bit of backlash on that, because Konami quickly went back to their original defending in PES 2013. :LOL:

I don't remember to be honest about PES 2012, why but that's the version is the one i hated the most from the 3 version PS2.5. As i hated FIFA 12 too with the introduction of Tactical Defending + contact system which was buggy.

For me, there was years with (FIFA 11 PS3 and PES 2011 : loved both one online, the other offline), and years without (another example than 12/12) Fifa 09 and PES 2009: i loved FIFA 08 but that 09 version was pretty bad... When running without the ball is equal to running with... And PES 2009 is probably the faster PES from the franchise and easier to score. It was making PES 2008 and 2010 shining in comparison.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom