The Retro-PES Corner

Just started my 3rd season with PES United on WE10. Thought it would be a good time for another share. What I’m particularly loving about this series so far is how much concentration is needed to get a result. I’m playing on 5* which means I still have that 6* difficulty to progress to. Still loving the challenge so far.

Also posting directly to @PESUNITED_OG on twitter.

Beyond the realms of solely PS2 emulation I'd highly recommend a PS3 given you can pick one up (certainly where I am) for about £30. Great 8 and 16-bit emulation through RetroArch (with CRT/scan line overlays if that's your thing); PS1 games off a disc or internal HD or USB; vast, vast majority of PS2 games will run without a hitch; PS3 games off a disc or internal HD. Might need a HD upgrade but either way with £30-100 and an afternoon of free time you'll end up with a retro beast!
That's the original ps3 fat model, I've a slimline ps3 and can't play ps2 or ps1 games on it, still have an original fat ps2 for that though

Beyond the realms of solely PS2 emulation I'd highly recommend a PS3 given you can pick one up (certainly where I am) for about £30. Great 8 and 16-bit emulation through RetroArch (with CRT/scan line overlays if that's your thing); PS1 games off a disc or internal HD or USB; vast, vast majority of PS2 games will run without a hitch; PS3 games off a disc or internal HD. Might need a HD upgrade but either way with £30-100 and an afternoon of free time you'll end up with a retro beast!
To be honest, i got a PS3 jailbreak, and PS2 games looks a bit awful and some don't work like the translated version of J-league or some i got.
PCSX2 1.60 with good settings works way better and it's the same about slowdown.

Only the 60gb FAT got the Emotion engine chip from PS2 on it, and an upscaler... Check vids about the FAT 60gb upscaling and you see how PS2 games were transformed. Not the case with any other jailbreaked PS3... But i repeat, it's hard to found a 60gb fat you will found very expensive price, and it's risky as the console was fragile due to the conception, and the oldest version so the most used... I tried to found a completely restored one, but impossible at a regular price.

So i recommand if you want PS3 games to buy it, also Retroarch works well on it even if i didn't tried (as i already got a Raspberry running pretty well all those games. From my side, only Top Spin, Fight Night, and some Remake like Devil May Cry HD Trilogy i got interest.

I tried WE2014 Aoki Samurai (better than PES 2014), FIFA 10 WC, FIFA 11 and also PES 2014 : the issue is that i tried everything, during a week : there's no way to get DLCs i tried everything, so you can't apply any Option files. I'm thinking to resell it on Rakuten, i can make without those game after retried them.

I orderer a 45 euro PS2, for PS2 games which i got more interest, 3-4 things :
-FreeMcBoot Memcard : it's replacing the old chip > you can put every games on an USB key from every regions @goalgerd i recommand that stuff to you if you didn't already got one, as the issue with PS2 is the cd lens... I killed 3 PS2 because of it. The PS2 was solid except that and still running trough, that was pretty annoying...
-One adapter for any type of pad, even wireless
-An HDMI converter
-And a 64 Gigas USB key : i've readed that 128 gb wasn't that reliable.
+ for graphisms on an LCD i already got a Scanlines simulator which gives a pretty good rendering (i posted it on Naruto PS2) cost is 29 euros but it worth the price, as i play on my Raspberry : the combo scanlines and anti-aliasing filter gives a superb rendering on old games.

At least every games, even modded, will run on it, and without slowdown like on PS3 or PCSX2 on some versions of WE or PES. To me those slowdown and lag are the most annoying stuff for a PES. But some, on PCSX2, runs very smoothly, like PES 2008.

Last edited:
To be honest, i got a PS3 jailbreak, and PS2 games looks a bit awful and some don't work like the translated version of J-league or some i got.
PCSX2 1.60 with good settings works way better and it's the same about slowdown.

Only the 60gb FAT got the Emotion engine chip from PS2 on it, and an upscaler... Check vids about the FAT 60gb upscaling and you see how PS2 games were transformed. Not the case with any other jailbreaked PS3... But i repeat, it's hard to found a 60gb fat you will found very expensive price, and it's risky as the console was fragile due to the conception, and the oldest version so the most used... I tried to found a completely restored one, but impossible at a regular price.

So i recommand if you want PS3 games to buy it, also Retroarch works well on it even if i didn't tried (as i already got a Raspberry running pretty well all those games. From my side, only Top Spin, Fight Night, and some Remake like Devil May Cry HD Trilogy i got interest.

I tried WE2014 Aoki Samurai (better than PES 2014), FIFA 10 WC, FIFA 11 and also PES 2014 : the issue is that i tried everything, during a week : there's no way to get DLCs i tried everything, so you can't apply any Option files. I'm thinking to resell it on Rakuten, i can make without those game after retried them.

I orderer a 45 euro PS2, for PS2 games which i got more interest, 3-4 things :
-FreeMcBoot Memcard : it's replacing the old chip > you can put every games on an USB key from every regions @goalgerd i recommand that stuff to you if you didn't already got one, as the issue with PS2 is the cd lens... I killed 3 PS2 because of it. The PS2 was solid except that and still running trough, that was pretty annoying...
-One adapter for any type of pad, even wireless
-An HDMI converter
-And a 64 Gigas USB key : i've readed that 128 gb wasn't that reliable.
+ for graphisms on an LCD i already got a Scanlines simulator which gives a pretty good rendering (i posted it on Naruto PS2) cost is 29 euros but it worth the price, as i play on my Raspberry : the combo scanlines and anti-aliasing filter gives a superb rendering on old games.

At least every games, even modded, will run on it, and without slowdown like on PS3 or PCSX2 on some versions of WE or PES. To me those slowdown and lag are the most annoying stuff for a PES. But some, on PCSX2, runs very smoothly, like PES 2008.

Yes I'm aware that later PS3s are only partial emulation but my point stands about it being an overall package, certainly compared to a PS2 with FreeMCBoot. I've tried all the PESes, WEs and JLWEs and only PES/WE 2012 and JLWE 2010 wouldn't launch at all. The DLC issue with PS3 games is annoying but I have had some success. About a year ago I managed to manually update PES 2018 to its latest version and install an option file, although the process was a massive pain in the ass! PS3 also allows the out-of-region and patched PS1 games for which you need the patience of a saint to run on a PS2 via FreeMCBoot/OPL/Popstarter.

Don't get me wrong, I love my PS2 and FreeMCBoot. I found I got far better results (speed and reliability) using a hard drive but it's not as convenient as the USB. Also prefer the image through a component cable than the PS2 to HDMI converter but aware not many TVs have component inputs these days. I've found as many if not more launching issues with FreeMCBoot on PS2 than PS3, especially with CD-based games. However, most issues can be overcome with the FMV skipping in OPL settings or mounting a game on a disc through ESR.

Horses for courses and a matter of preference I think. Depends what you're looking for. Although what shouldn't be up for debate is that the person who designed this needs to take a long, hard look at themselves:

1638524200197.png

Why the hell does the power supply not plug in at the other side? Why is it so fucking long and sags and bends the port? And you can fry an egg on it after five minutes. At least it works well enough.

View attachment 134696
I honestly need to downsize. The depth and weight of this is ridiculous.

I still get lured in by FB Marketplace/Gumtree/eBay listings for bigger CRTs. They're clearly less desirable (presumably for those reasons) and go for less than the 14 inch ones, or even free. But I still, still get caught out by the depth of the things. I'll never learn.

How much for the N64 mate? :)

Did I buy for or are you asking if I'm selling? It's actually my original one. I have two in the house but the other one (I think) isn't mine to sell!

I still get lured in by FB Marketplace/Gumtree/eBay listings for bigger CRTs. They're clearly less desirable (presumably for those reasons) and go for less than the 14 inch ones, or even free. But I still, still get caught out by the depth of the things. I'll never learn.

Did I buy for or are you asking if I'm selling? It's actually my original one. I have two in the house but the other one (I think) isn't mine to sell!
I am asking if you "sell", but i suppose you don't sell..... It was basically a MCU-based joke, the dialogue between Rocket (Guardins of the Galaxy) and Winter Soldier in Infinity War.

-How much for the gun....Ok...How much for the arm..... :P

f45ccc9f4cbe53540432843887ba117c.jpg

Put it this way, I had to Google what MCU meant. 😄
Thought so, that's why i avoided a post full of abbreviation,
like:
MCU=Marvel Cinematic Universe
GotG=Guardians of the Galaxy
AIW=Avengers: Infinity War

:BAND:

So back on topic again, are n't you any stressed binding so tight the N64 controller? I know the N64 controller's cable is long enough, but i can be very insecure, regarding bidning a wired controller for storage as tight as possible. :SMOKIN:

So back on topic again, are n't you any stressed binding so tight the N64 controller? I know the N64 controller's cable is long enough, but i can be very insecure, regarding bidning a wired controller for storage as tight as possible. :SMOKIN:

I maybe have bound it to tight but I always ensure I don't pull the cable at any point and put any tension in it. Wires are a pain in the ass. Kids these days have it so lucky...

Haven't been posting for a while but played a few games with my brother in our Lews All Comers Cup 1st Round which includes all the teams in PES2008. We also had to play the preliminary round because we needed to get it down to 128 teams :D

Here are the highlights from our first game, Zenit v Real Sociedad (me).

I will post the other matches as I go along.

In fact, it's just a "solution" if you don't have a place to put a CRT TV about that cable + the Scanlines generator (doesn't work on PS3)
Edit: i'm pretty dumb about one thing, my cousin who live long from me gotted a Sony Trititron, one of the best TV from review to play oldies. I could've for free and asked it, but didn't took it in the final. Well, i'm still wondering where i could've put it, between my two LCD on my small desk room.

Yes the PS3 is a better package for sure as a whole stuff to run everything, just less for PS2 games so PES golden era, and PS1 personally i got enough with or EPSXE which makes them looks like Dreamcast.
Or my Raspberry PI with an OS emulator, a filter and a simple Scanlines generator. To be honest, PS1 games except 2D games, or 2.5D Shoot-them-up took some years in the face, 3D especially. Crash or Spyro are exception, but i aint a 3D plateformer super fan / matter of taste, well more of nostalgia : i don't have it as i sold my PS1 very soon at the time. Playing at friends house at ISS Pro, or some games like Discworld, MGS1 that's all.

Well, i don't know where to found an hard drive for PS2 (if you mean the one to put behind the PS2 "big" version), i searched but it's hell to found.
If you got something to purpose for a PS2 (slim) about it, because that's what i got, as you say it runs better than an USB key...
I don't think it's doable on a slim, it's all by USB and one Ethernet port.

Last edited:
This tidy little number just showed up in my area. I might make a move 😄.

Attachments

• 0E789AF4-661C-4F32-89BB-9CCE8B20F586.jpeg
    0E789AF4-661C-4F32-89BB-9CCE8B20F586.jpeg
    597.6 KB · Views: 11
@Flipper the Priest you seems to know (way) better than me about PS2 mods.

With FreeMcboot + OPL the USB stick difference in game is about loading times or in game while running "slowdown" or stuff like this?

Because if it's loading times, except on Sega-CD... It never been a problem to me, i'm patient lol

I also got a basic composite port so i will check the difference, unfortunately no port to put the 60hz cable, i got one on the PS2 era and image was superb (i don't remember the exact name even if i'm searching : RGB or i don't remember the name at all : but i'm sure it was a port with ONE stuff to put on your PS2, like an HDMI port. Smaller than a Peritel. VGA got no sound on it so it can't be that)
Thanks in advance.

Edit: i think it was a VGA + 2 sound cable link, but i ain't sure many old TV supported it... That's why i'm suspicious.

Last edited:
I wish I'd kept the crt's I'd had, I'd be making a killing now. :LOL: Problem is the large one's weigh about the same as a horse.

@Flipper the Priest you seems to know (way) better than me about PS2 mods.

With FreeMcboot + OPL the USB stick difference in game is about loading times or in game while running "slowdown" or stuff like this?

Because if it's loading times, except on Sega-CD... It never been a problem to me, i'm patient lol

I also got a basic composite port so i will check the difference, unfortunately no port to put the 60hz cable, i got one on the PS2 era and image was superb (i don't remember the exact name even if i'm searching : RGB or i don't remember the name at all : but i'm sure it was a port with ONE stuff to put on your PS2, like an HDMI port. Smaller than a Peritel. VGA got no sound on it so it can't be that)
Thanks in advance.

Edit: i think it was a VGA + 2 sound cable link, but i ain't sure many old TV supported it... That's why i'm suspicious.

Not sure if this helps, but when I play PES2008 on my PS2 using the USB stick the game plays fine no slow down at all. The only time there is slow down is when the game first loads up and the introduction video has slow down.

Perfect then... @geeeeee thanks for the answer.
As sincerely, i took it principally PES 2008, WE9, J-League 2008 Club Championship version : with roster updated ;)
Then for WE8LE, and WE7I jap version, the first is a total debug of PES 4. The second, PES3 more balanced.

I will probably start some "retro-editing" about some PES. I don't know where to start, i put a spoiler as it's like another post, but i wanted to talk about but well... That's passion lol.
But i posted some interesting stuffs (like old form arrows for PES 5 and 6 difference)

I really think that PES 5 PC "original season" is pretty cool graphically, and the difference with other patch is they "resized" the overall size of what it should looks like in 16/9 (i tried with their config on another version, but it didn't worked lol)...

But the most important to me : rosters are took from a very old O.F., and stats are a bit messy. i got stats for every players except one or two not that important. It's also winter transfers, and i wanted to restore it to Summer for more authenticity : but it's in fact harder lol.
On WE10, you have the winter rosters. But a different calculation about Body Balance, lowered regarding to the difference on the two + and - percentage regarding form arrow (no joke, you can check > i put a spoiler under a spoiler :LOL: But interesting to read about old PES/WE in my opinion

WE9/PES 5 Form arrow:

1638577749205.png

WE10/PES 6 season (also 2008) Form arrows:
1638577054172.png

You can see that the only difference is Balance (Equilibre in french) and also check players differences in Balance from PES 5 to PES 6 except some forgotten players :
PES 5: +12% to -12%
PES 6: +12% to -18%
I found the solution (Stats -10% + 10 gives a good result, on PSD one gives me another calculation -9.4 +9.4...) etc.
Also all players got "-1" in stamina from PES 6 to PES 2008. For no reason i think.

I'll see, but for PES 5 there's a lot of work, if i want Summer transfers. Otherwise : i just have to recopy all players from WE10 (with 2005-2006 summer rosters) and check a lot of transfers, players in only from Summer (for example Ascoli got 8 players and one unfindable in any PES/WE version, Nicola Zanini. He's coaching right now lol) and the rest on Free agents. So you start with the real 2005-06 season start.

PES 6 got another problem : it's not about the transfers. All players from summers are easy to do.
On their patch got another issue : is about stats for D2 created teams, which is a very good idea for more realism. But i want it with WE stats, and some are hard to found. i think i got to replace some of them.

I don't remember if you can avoid D2 "others Euro" teams to participate to your D1 on Master League, like Olympiakos in Premier League as an example.
Want to try at least one time an ML, as i stopped after PES 3 because i played much more with friends and focused on editing already, no time to play ML anymore until PES 2008 (but i didn't : was too much focused on playing online on Fifa 08, it was fresh, with good servers for the first time on consoles)

About PES 2008, it's to have at least 2008 summer transfers (added players) with Konami ratings. I already got a good O.F., but i want to make it perfect, no more FM conversion etc.
Then share, if you are interested of course. Perhaps i will need some help about kits, and PES/WE teams i want to replace with two of the best J-League teams, or whatever team you want, as long as they are/were in PES for the base players.

If you didn't read the spoiler, i ask one question : is there a way to avoid on PES 5, 6, or 2008 to have for example Olympiakos on your second Serie A season or not?

Also, i brought a Component cable, and see if it's better than with HDMI converter + Scanlines on a 1080p TV. Sadly i can capture picture/vids with my phone. But it's okay, just to take a quick look i think.

There's no K-League 2 but CSL and K1 League both for the first time on JLWE9 Asia Championship mate!
Only J-League got 2 divisions lol. But i don't want to start with J-League, it's not really "nostalgic" like the good old Europeans clubs teams from 2003 to 2007 ! Well before the Calciopoli so until 2005-06 (PES 5 era) but 2006-2007 and 2007-08 seasons still got some good rosters (just not the pinnacle of, to me, "Football Golden Era") and the game is pretty good ;)

But without Juve in 1st division, for wrong reasons... We were close to CL with the ultra roster we gotted, they killed us.

Last edited:
Right haha.. I actually played a few K-League games in JLWE9 Asia Championship! The K-League 2 comment was kidding, well sort of.. It's still a dream to have it someday in a PES installment. :LOL:

I have 2 questions bros:

1. I've been playing PES 2010 a bit lately with a South American patch I found called Super Patch America, which is very nice because it's the original 2010-2011 season. But I have a question about editing league logos. Is it possible to edit these with a tool? I was able to rename the tournament but I'd like to assign a "Copa Peru" logo to this cup.

1638606776249.png

2. I've been playing with PES 2011 and enjoying it a lot with PESEdit patch. I would like to edit one of the Italian second division teams included in the patch, pretty much change everything and assign a new kit, name, etc.. Is this even possible and if so, how do I go about it?

Thanks in advance bros. :TU:

Last edited:
Perfect then... @geeeeee thanks for the answer.

is there a way to avoid on PES 5, 6, or 2008 to have for example Olympiakos on your second Serie A season or not?

No worries :)

Not sure what you mean with your question :THINK:are you referring to Master League?

Right haha.. I actually played a few K-League games in JLWE9 Asia Championship! The K-League 2 comment was kidding, well sort of.. It's still a dream to have it someday in a PES installment. :LOL:

I have 2 questions bros:

1. I've been playing PES 2010 a bit lately with a South American patch I found called Super Patch America, which is very nice because it's the original 2010-2011 season. But I have a question about editing league logos. Is it possible to edit these with a tool? I was able to rename the tournament but I'd like to assign a "Copa Peru" logo to this cup.

View attachment 134836

2. I've been playing with PES 2011 and enjoying it a lot with PESEdit patch. I would like to edit one of the Italian second division teams included in the patch, pretty much change everything and assign a new kit, name, etc.. Is this even possible and if so, how do I go about it?

Thanks in advance bros. :TU:

Do you play the PS2 version of PES 2010?

Yes that is an Amiga 500. It is still the original my family had from back in the day. I’m never going to get rid of it. I’ve been collecting the old CM games.View attachment 134848

Sorry, because I posted this link in a couple of threads already. But I have recently been getting back into my Commodore 64 and I found an excellent youtube channel by a guy called Bastich B. There are Amiga videos too. :)

https://www.youtube.com/c/BastichB64K/featured

Sorry, because I posted this link in a couple of threads already. But I have recently been getting back into my Commodore 64 and I found an excellent youtube channel by a guy called Bastich B. There are Amiga videos too. :)

https://www.youtube.com/c/BastichB64K/featured
I’ll definitely take a look at this. The c64 was probably my gaming start point. We had older systems in the house but with the 64 I was at the age where I knew what I was doing. I’d also start to buy games with my pocket money 🙂

Back
Top Bottom