The Retro-PES Corner

As a poet might put it, WE6FE is fucking ace. In strong contention for my top three of the whole fucking lot of them.

Real character, as demonstrated by that game. The free-kick styles, the appearances, the celebrations - all nailed.

Amerigo Atlantis chat - it's the one with the WELCOME TO HELL big screen isn't it? But it some games it's been toned down to something like WELCOME TO STADIUM.
One of the best things about it is it's visuals are cohesive. They got around the early limitations of PS2 knowledge by opting for stylised representations of the players and they look fantastic but don't stand out toouch from the default players.

Gameplay is so responsive yet we'll paced between slow realism and explosive fast paced moments of drama.

And as far as Amerigo, I didn't know there was a Hell version of it, I'll have to look it up.

sorry but no, the best football game ever is PES 5
PES 5 and PES 6 dont count...If someone wants to play something modern the best is PES 2017...That i like in PES 5 is that it s something between football and game...i like that you cant get a player and run all the time because after 2 seconds the players cant run..so you should think other ways for attack or go front...i like that...
So if someone wants to play something modern with good AI, good goalkeepers, interest games, nice animations etc the PES 2017 is the best...And it has the feeling of PES...
I tried all the newer PES 2018-2022 and they are boring for me...They are the same philosophy with FIFA...Simulations without passion and intensity...

I play PES for almost 20 years but haven't seen a goal like this before so I had to quickly record it with my cellphone and upload it... Crazy mistake by Walter Zenga

Edit: I wonder what happened to the kit colors in replay mode, when I played the match earlier today it was not white vs white shirts :BORED::P

PES 2008 on the PSP is fucking great!

The ability to import option files from PS2 is great but I've been reliably informed that the feature is dropped
There's a strong argument for PES 2008 on PS2/PSP to be renamed PES 7 by PES historians. Justified in every way, as the revised nomenclature would remove the frequent confusion with its troubled next-gen sibling, and position the game squarely within the same group as the Golden Age PESes. Having PES 7 alongside PES5 and PES 6 would be like the redeemed Anakin shimmering into life beside ObiWan and Yoda.

A chance comment by somebody a few pages ago piqued my interest in what PES 2010 (PS3/360/PC) might feel like now. This one has been described as arguably 'the PES 5 of its generation' (by Marlon Anthony in one of his History of PES vids on YouTube).

It's possible. When I think 'what would be the PES 5 of the PS3 generation???'... PES 2010, which I loved in its year of current life, would be one of the contenders. (I'd probably settle on PES 2012 personally, but only by a nose ahead of PES 2010 and PES 2011.)

I tracked down a PC copy of PES 2010 -- and then came the familiar turn-the-Internet-upside-down search for at least an Option File, and hopefully a full patch -- there was an EASILY AVAILABLE mature PESEdit patch in a single 1GB download that I only had to fill out 1 captcha to get a-hold of. And which introduced the nPower Championship etc. Very pleased with that, and because it was one of those with a Jenkey-style standalone GUI with scary options, I made sure to play a match on vanilla before installation just in case it made any gameplay changes. (It didn't seem to.)

I forgot so much about PES 2010. The ethereal glow on one side of the pitch in daytime matches. The way teh AI can just keep the ball for ages. The slow, cumbersome feel to many player turns that I love in a football game but (it seems) most don't love. And the shooting.

Some Blackpool vs Birmingham City action (just 40 seconds or so of random gameplay, no goals or anything):

I play PES for almost 20 years but haven't seen a goal like this before so I had to quickly record it with my cellphone and upload it... Crazy mistake by Walter Zenga

Edit: I wonder what happened to the kit colors in replay mode, when I played the match earlier today it was not white vs white shirts :BORED::P
I have seen that a couple of times over the years! Only a handful and I always enjoy it, as keepers do make howlers.

There's a strong argument for PES 2008 on PS2/PSP to be renamed PES 7 by PES historians. Justified in every way, as the revised nomenclature would remove the frequent confusion with its troubled next-gen sibling, and position the game squarely within the same group as the Golden Age PESes. Having PES 7 alongside PES5 and PES 6 would be like the redeemed Anakin shimmering into life beside ObiWan and Yoda.

A chance comment by somebody a few pages ago piqued my interest in what PES 2010 (PS3/360/PC) might feel like now. This one has been described as arguably 'the PES 5 of its generation' (by Marlon Anthony in one of his History of PES vids on YouTube).

It's possible. When I think 'what would be the PES 5 of the PS3 generation???'... PES 2010, which I loved in its year of current life, would be one of the contenders. (I'd probably settle on PES 2012 personally, but only by a nose ahead of PES 2010 and PES 2011.)

I tracked down a PC copy of PES 2010 -- and then came the familiar turn-the-Internet-upside-down search for at least an Option File, and hopefully a full patch -- there was an EASILY AVAILABLE mature PESEdit patch in a single 1GB download that I only had to fill out 1 captcha to get a-hold of. And which introduced the nPower Championship etc. Very pleased with that, and because it was one of those with a Jenkey-style standalone GUI with scary options, I made sure to play a match on vanilla before installation just in case it made any gameplay changes. (It didn't seem to.)

I forgot so much about PES 2010. The ethereal glow on one side of the pitch in daytime matches. The way teh AI can just keep the ball for ages. The slow, cumbersome feel to many player turns that I love in a football game but (it seems) most don't love. And the shooting.

Some Blackpool vs Birmingham City action (just 40 seconds or so of random gameplay, no goals or anything):

I remember it was too easy to master, that s why no longevity

Any of you guys still remember the sega mega drive ISS game? : heee shoootsss xd and the goal kick goes out of the stadium before it lands in middle circle lol

If you mean PES 2010, yes it does have that problem still. A rather passive AI was and still is also a problem for this edition. I was coping quite easily on Professional, which shouldn't be the case for a game I haven't played in about 8 years.

It inspired me to reinstall PES 2011, which was a game at the time that I found incredibly difficult, which I know wasn't everyone's experience but it was certainly mine. Installed quite a decent PES edit patch and had a great time! I've got a couple of Master Leagues on the go in other editions so there's no real scope for me to branch off into this just yet, it's just nice to have it in the chamber.

Only problem is of course the PC version notoriously didn't have all the game speed options. We only had 0 to + 2 for some reason that nobody ever explained. I find 0 speed a little bit too fast. Played a match on the console version for comparison and really liked -1 speed.

One big plus for PES 2011 is that it has native 1440p and really looks modern and slick. PES 2010 maxes out at 1080p.

Last edited:
If you mean PES 2010, yes it does have that problem still. A rather passive AI was and still is also a problem for this edition. I was coping quite easily on Professional, which shouldn't be the case for a game I haven't played in about 8 years.

It inspired me to reinstall PES 2011, which was the game the time that I found incredibly difficult, which I know wasn't everyone's experience but it was certainly mine. Installed quite a decent PES edit patch and had a great time! I've got a couple of Master Leagues on the go in other editions so there's no real scope for me to branch off into this just yet, it's nice to have it in the chamber.

Gosh, the detail on that turf is great even in a small gif.

It's also important to appreciate just how silky smooth 2011 performs too. Really was a great experience at the time, minus the embarrassingly poor crowd audio. Such a tremendous regression.

I remember when I blitzed through a few games of the PS3 PESes when I bought them last year that 2010 was strikingly easy. As a starting point I played with and against medium-strength teams on the middle difficulty setting. Won most on 2008, 2009, 2011 etc by the odd goal but on 2010 I'm pretty sure I won 8-0 in my first game and didn't look back. Only played a few games so a small sample; maybe it deserves a better crack. Shame as it was the first PES to feature my beloved Dons.

I remember when I blitzed through a few games of the PS3 PESes when I bought them last year that 2010 was strikingly easy. As a starting point I played with and against medium-strength teams on the middle difficulty setting. Won most on 2008, 2009, 2011 etc by the odd goal but on 2010 I'm pretty sure I won 8-0 in my first game and didn't look back. Only played a few games so a small sample; maybe it deserves a better crack. Shame as it was the first PES to feature my beloved Dons.
yeah 2011 was ok, but aswell, too easy to master

PES 2010 serves as the last version which resembles PS2 mechanics and while it's largely simulative and enjoyable, did have issues with no fouls and goalkeepers would often not dive and stand rooted to the spot, a little to much for my liking.

Gosh, the detail on that turf is great even in a small gif.

It's also important to appreciate just how silky smooth 2011 performs too. Really was a great experience at the time, minus the embarrassingly poor crowd audio. Such a tremendous regression.
I've always been mainly a console player of PES, but the startling jump from 2010 to 2011 in terms of graphics, concepts, gameplay, and other things is really apparent on PC.

And unlike PES 2010, I really never did find PES 2011 easy at any point throughout its entire 'live' year, nor any time since, not even when I had a star-studded ML team. To this day it's the only Master League I never won a Treble on on top difficulty. I always meant to rectify that.

The spirit of this thread has clearly infected me for when I was in CeX earlier today I saw these and thought, well, at those prices it would be rude not to buy them:

The PSP is hard on my left thumb joint but I'll be sampling them later. It turns out that the PSP had its own edition to match every PS2 edition, all the way up to PES 2014. I've played PES 5/6/2008 and PES 2012, and soon these two. Not anticipating a jot of any real difference from the PS2 versions. For the price they're currently going at (the remainder are all online at similar prices) I might as well hoover them up while my almost 15-year-old PSP is still in working order. My sturdy PSP was a launch day purchase back in 2006/7 (whenever it came out in the UK), replaced the battery once back in '09 I think, but it cannot last forever.

Last edited:
Honestly I find Pes 2011 perfectly balanced as well. Pes 2010 sometimes feels a bit soft, but it's also true in my only longest career I remember spending something like 4 seasons in 2D sooo.. I don't know, I guess that excluding the exceptions there usually isn't a clear cut answer and difficulty depends on many factors. In this forum there is people that also finds stuff like for example Fifa 16 quite easy while it usually feels super tough to me lol.

Honestly I find Pes 2011 perfectly balanced as well. Pes 2010 sometimes feels a bit soft, but it's also true in my only longest career I remember spending something like 4 seasons in 2D sooo.. I don't know, I guess that excluding the exceptions there usually isn't a clear cut answer and difficulty depends on many factors. In this forum there is people that also finds stuff like for example Fifa 16 quite easy while it usually feels super tough to me lol.
That part of your comment that I've bolded – the truest thing about football gaming is that not all players (us human players) are equal. There's often an assumption that PES **** is this or that, easy or hard etc. I always found this when I used to meet real people in daily life who also played PES (haven't bumped into a single other PES-playing person in daily life for about 12 years now). Whatever your favourite edition or thing is, is rarely theirs. If you thought something was hard, they thought it was easy, and vice versa.

if you praise something like, oh, PES 2009, somebody will say 'ah, yes... but what about the ding-a-ling?' And you'll say... 'the what?' And they'll say 'the ding-a-ling. You know, when you play an aerial through-ball [or whatever], there's a ding-a-ling. The ding-a-ling ruined the whole game for me.' And you cautiously risk saying you have no idea what the ding-a-ling thing is, and they're astonished. 'But,' you say, 'I have to say I didn’t like the bing-a-bang when you try to tackle on the outer corner quadrant of the leftmost portion of the penalty area at the Something Stadium when it was an afternoon kickoff...'

And so it goes on, with very few overlapping zones of agreement between players as to objective qualities in PES. I think we all do mostly agree that there was a Golden Age and we all agree that the PES feeling is unique and never-bettered, but with very few exceptions, everything else is up for grabs. I'm bemused about the exalted status of PES 2017 (the overpowered secondary tackle button is a ding-a-ling!) and rate PES 2015 higher, and that is shcoking to many, but it's the nature of PES fandom.

The spirit of this thread has clearly infected me for when I was in CeX earlier today I saw these and thought, well, at those prices it would be rude not to buy them:

The PSP is hard on my left thumb joint but I'll be sampling them later. It turns out that the PSP had its own edition to match every PS2 edition, all the way up to PES 2014. I've played PES 5/6/2008 and PES 2012, and soon these two. Not anticipating a jot of any real difference from the PS2 versions. For the price they're currently going at (the remainder are all online at similar prices) I might as well hoover them up while my almost 15-year-old PSP is still in working order. My sturdy PSP was a launch day purchase back in 2006/7 (whenever it came out in the UK), replaced the battery once back in '09 I think, but it cannot last forever.

Nice one. Now I'm hooked on PSP I'll be doing a sweep of CeX the next time I'm in!

I'd strongly recommend jailbreaking the PSP, if you've a memory card, a mini USB cable and 10 minutes. Loads of ISOs on CD Romance and will preserve the old disc drive. Leave the physical games gathering dust like they're supposed to!

I'm totally gripped by my PSP PES 2008 ML. Never thought I could get so taken in by a handheld. I played a burner ML on PS2 PES 2008 a couple of months ago when I had Covid and the PSP version stacks up very, very favourably.

Nice one. Now I'm hooked on PSP I'll be doing a sweep of CeX the next time I'm in!

I'd strongly recommend jailbreaking the PSP, if you've a memory card, a mini USB cable and 10 minutes. Loads of ISOs on CD Romance and will preserve the old disc drive. Leave the physical games gathering dust like they're supposed to!

I'm totally gripped by my PSP PES 2008 ML. Never thought I could get so taken in by a handheld. I played a burner ML on PS2 PES 2008 a couple of months ago when I had Covid and the PSP version stacks up very, very favourably.
My main handheld PES action has been PES 2008 on PSP (such an astoundingly great PES on PSP/PS2, its general neglect only due to the generational shift. PES 7 in all but name!). I also played PES 2012 (PSP) on the Vita as a compatible download from the PS Store – yes, they all work on Vita, with the analogue sticks, better screen, and more room in general. If I jailbreak anything it'll be my Vita...

Just played a match on PES 2010 for PSP. Thumbnail: it's definitely in the same family as PES 2008 PSP, the exact same Master League, the lot. (A shame, as the ML on PES2010 PS3/PC has the best-ever ML for me.) Loads of fouls though! Not quite PES 5 level but considerably more than the PS3/PC version. I had two red cards and I was playing normally. I got beat 2-0 on Regular and it felt really tough, so it's related to the PS3/PC in name and menu art design only.

I had a look for some other PSP PES titles. Got PES 2011 for £1.50... I vaguely remember discovering that the PS2 version was more like the PS3/PC itertion than I was expecting, so I'll see if this is another remix of the existing formula or not.

When you get to PES 2013 the price starts going up. PES 2014 on PSP is £22 at the cheapest, scaling up to £57 on eBay. PES 2014 is deemed a rare collectable item. Probably rightly so. Until today I thought PES 2012 was the last edition released on PSP.

In general, friends, I bought PES 2015 for PS4, i plan to buy Pes 2017 and separately purchase playstation 3 and pes 11, pes13. Can anyone advise working links to patches for pes 2011 PS3??? I would very much like to be with the teams Red Bull Salzburg and CSKA Moscow....

Maybe I'm too nostalgic but why do I feel like I really (truly) enjoyed the 2010-2013 era. I remember how I would sit in my room and play 2-3 hours per day - ML or BaL or mix them. Yes, I lost lot of games then but I also won many of them and I played with low-mid teams (Aston Villa, Genoa, Norwich, Werder, Villarreal). Now I play max 3 matches in '21 and usually I quit annoyed with something. It's really frustrating. My question is this: did I start to notice and CARE more about details (like pass isn't perfect, this isn't realistic, a referee is wrong) or the newer titles are indeed bad.

I just need clarification, were those titles really better or I haven't (truly) adapted (yet) to newer titles. Thanks :)

My main handheld PES action has been PES 2008 on PSP (such an astoundingly great PES on PSP/PS2, its general neglect only due to the generational shift. PES 7 in all but name!). I also played PES 2012 (PSP) on the Vita as a compatible download from the PS Store – yes, they all work on Vita, with the analogue sticks, better screen, and more room in general. If I jailbreak anything it'll be my Vita...

Just played a match on PES 2010 for PSP. Thumbnail: it's definitely in the same family as PES 2008 PSP, the exact same Master League, the lot. (A shame, as the ML on PES2010 PS3/PC has the best-ever ML for me.) Loads of fouls though! Not quite PES 5 level but considerably more than the PS3/PC version. I had two red cards and I was playing normally. I got beat 2-0 on Regular and it felt really tough, so it's related to the PS3/PC in name and menu art design only.

I had a look for some other PSP PES titles. Got PES 2011 for £1.50... I vaguely remember discovering that the PS2 version was more like the PS3/PC itertion than I was expecting, so I'll see if this is another remix of the existing formula or not.

When you get to PES 2013 the price starts going up. PES 2014 on PSP is £22 at the cheapest, scaling up to £57 on eBay. PES 2014 is deemed a rare collectable item. Probably rightly so. Until today I thought PES 2012 was the last edition released on PSP.

Typical that - after gushing over the game - two defensive issues have crept in that piss me clean off: hand-holding defenders and - by far the worse of the two - automatic sliding tackles. I thought they were absent in the PSP version as I hadn't noticed them about 25 games into a Master League. Conceded more than one goal during a session last night (in bed, in the dark, when I really should've been sleeping) where my centre backs were standing right next to each other, leaving huge gaps. Another goal was conceded from a free kick after a CPU-controlled defender slid through the back of their striker at the edge of the box. Infuriated me in my PS2 Master League, and I can't recall it happening when I was playing it in 2007/2008!

I was surprised by the prices of the PSP games, as I thought they'd be pricier than they are. That said, I have no real grasp of just how successful the PSP and its PES titles were. The price rise at the 2013 mark near enough puts it in line with the PS2 versions although, thankfully, the PSP 2014 won't sting as much as the PS2 iteration!

Does anyone have all the data packs / dlcs / dt0f.img for PES2010? I believe there should be 6 in all (1.02 - 1.07). All the links I have found are all dead.

All the PES 2010 talk got me on the mood for a couple of games last night, I thought it ws fantastic other than one thing...

That good damn 90 degree turn from slower defenders. Is there a remedy for this? I've never tried however I suspect it has something to do with the dribbling or agility stat - I wonder if there's a thresh hold to globally adjust everyone above to eradicate that dumb animation.

my other gripe about the new PES since 2017, is the goal net behaviour , every shot goes inside the nets and then goes back out, why??? this is never the case in real life, only a few positions where u shoot the ball almost always stays inside the net and the ball physics when it hits the net usually takes most of it s power, and not rebounds like it s a metal cage, in fifa the goal scoring satisfaction is there, here no it isn t.
i really am surprised for the lack of attention to detail at konami to these stuff, as already they made the PES franchise, they lack attention to detail in this regard XD... weird.

I somehow forgot how to apply widescreen settings for WE9, could anybody help? I mean, it's on full screen, but everything is stretched.

Last edited:
my other gripe about the new PES since 2017, is the goal net behaviour , every shot goes inside the nets and then goes back out, why??? this is never the case in real life, only a few positions where u shoot the ball almost always stays inside the net and the ball physics when it hits the net usually takes most of it s power, and not rebounds like it s a metal cage, in fifa the goal scoring satisfaction is there, here no it isn t.
i really am surprised for the lack of attention to detail at konami to these stuff, as already they made the PES franchise, they lack attention to detail in this regard XD... weird.
I think in recent years in the top domestic leagues the tend to use this ultra tight goal nets that sends the ball pinging out as a result but nonetheless, the bigger gripe I had is that they don't give you more goal net options. You're stuck with one net type for a whole year, or in some cases, many years which gets stale fast.

I somehow forgot how to apply widescreen settings for WE9, could anybody help? I mean, it's on full screen, but everything is stretched.

In kitserver, kload.cfg, enter the widescreen resolution + select "automatic aspect ratio" (or something like this, don't remember now) in kitserver lod settings.

Typical that - after gushing over the game - two defensive issues have crept in that piss me clean off: hand-holding defenders and - by far the worse of the two - automatic sliding tackles. I thought they were absent in the PSP version as I hadn't noticed them about 25 games into a Master League. Conceded more than one goal during a session last night (in bed, in the dark, when I really should've been sleeping) where my centre backs were standing right next to each other, leaving huge gaps. Another goal was conceded from a free kick after a CPU-controlled defender slid through the back of their striker at the edge of the box. Infuriated me in my PS2 Master League, and I can't recall it happening when I was playing it in 2007/2008!

I was surprised by the prices of the PSP games, as I thought they'd be pricier than they are. That said, I have no real grasp of just how successful the PSP and its PES titles were. The price rise at the 2013 mark near enough puts it in line with the PS2 versions although, thankfully, the PSP 2014 won't sting as much as the PS2 iteration!
Auto slide and auto shoot and auto clearance... ugh. Auto shoot might be my least favourite as it sometimes results in a goal that you technically didn’t score, and it feels hollow. I did notice a few auto slides in my 1 match back on PES 2008 PSP the other week, and thought to myself 'must go in and disable that if I return', thinking there would be the option... but I'm guessing the option wasn't in the old games yet? I didn’t get back to the PSP last night and probably won't again tonight.

If you mean the PS2 ISO on PCSX2 (the latest dev build), there is an option somewhere in there to switch between 'fit to screen', 'fit to window', and 'full screen'. I'm very much AFK right now and can’t check where but I remember fiddling with it to get FIFA 07 displaying properly last night, so it works. Not sure if the option is in the same place in the current offocial build of PCSX2.

Incidentally, I might be late to the party on this one, but I've just realised that we can have a separate PCSX2 individually calibrated for every game if we want to. That solves a virtual memory card problem I was starting to have. I know we can create new cards ad infinitum and swap them around, but somehow I prefer the idea of 'a whole virtual PS2 for every game'. The ultimate first-world privilege. It's no wonder the terrorists hate us.

All the PES 2010 talk got me on the mood for a couple of games last night, I thought it ws fantastic other than one thing...

That good damn 90 degree turn from slower defenders. Is there a remedy for this? I've never tried however I suspect it has something to do with the dribbling or agility stat - I wonder if there's a thresh hold to globally adjust everyone above to eradicate that dumb animation.
If there's a Jenkey-style tool for PES 2010 I would be interested too, as I love the concepts in PES 2010. It definitely is on the easy side, so a difficulty mod would be great.

In particular (and this is why I'm a weird football gamer) I do like PES 2010's slow turn. Anything that hampers, limits and restricts, within reason, is a net positive in football gaming IMO. Time and again in PES 2010 you can back yourself into a figurative corner on the pitch that you can't simply reverse the analogue stick to get out of (as in FIFA 22, for example, which usually permits a 1:1 correlation between input and player movement. )

One of the reasons why I'm not in the pile-on on eFootball is that I want to see if they will stick with the slow, cumbersome feel, or bow to pressure and end up with the arcade-em-up that the public seems to want. It'll be very much the latter of course, but I'm hoping the ghost of that PES 2010-style, slow, heavy feel will remain.

In kitserver, kload.cfg, enter the widescreen resolution + select "automatic aspect ratio" (or something like this, don't remember now) in kitserver lod settings.

Thanks but actually no, it only worked when I entered 1.77 as the manual aspect ratio value!

PES 2010 had godly pitches and lighting. Shame the gameplay was fucking awful. PES 2018-2021 have those godawful yellow pitches.

Back
Top Bottom