The Retro-PES Corner

Yeah WE8LE is wonderful. For me, it and WE6FE are the two in-betweeners that offer the biggest upgrades on their originals. WE7I is my favourite, but WE7/PES3 was my favourite year to begin with.

Those mid-year games are unequivocally different; beyond simply bugs, cosmetics and squad updates. And - without exception - better.
Thanks again for the link, played some of your ISO this evening and it works perfectly, also upscales beautifully on PC. Turns out I remember so little of PES 4 / WE 8, but everything is somehow an eerie reminder of something I'd forgotten I remembered...

The thing with retro PES is that it's more than just a nostalgia bath. It has to be more than the football gaming equivalent of I Love The 1980s (although taking a tour of several retro PES/WE games in an evening is a hell of a way to spend an evening). These are games to be actually played eventually, after a proper assessment, and I think I will give WE 8 a proper go.

I started an ML as WE United, because it would have been rude not to. I dislike their kits as both Home and Away seem to clash with too many other teams' kits, so I will be editing them but otherwise have left all discovered edits intact. Only played two proper matches, neither of which featured a good enough goal to post (a scrambled effort from Castoro my only goal in fact).

One match did feature this glorious last-ditch toe-poke tackle from Valery when I had bungled the defence and he had to come across to cover:

I enjoyed that as much as a goal.

The old games defeat many a curiousity-seeker because of the expectation that they will be easily conquered. I really did only score 1 goal in 2 matches on the default 3* difficulty. Golden Age PES-WE was such because it denied players any simple direct route to goal. As do the best football games of our day, of course, but the point is that many a footy gamer of the here and now might expect the old games not to be the way they are. The force is strong in this one.

Thanks again for the link, played some of your ISO this evening and it works perfectly, also upscales beautifully on PC. Turns out I remember so little of PES 4 / WE 8, but everything is somehow an eerie reminder of something I'd forgotten I remembered...

The thing with retro PES is that it's more than just a nostalgia bath. It has to be more than the football gaming equivalent of I Love The 1980s (although taking a tour of several retro PES/WE games in an evening is a hell of a way to spend an evening). These are games to be actually played eventually, after a proper assessment, and I think I will give WE 8 a proper go.

I started an ML as WE United, because it would have been rude not to. I dislike their kits as both Home and Away seem to clash with too many other teams' kits, so I will be editing them but otherwise have left all discovered edits intact. Only played two proper matches, neither of which featured a good enough goal to post (a scrambled effort from Castoro my only goal in fact).

One match did feature this glorious last-ditch toe-poke tackle from Valery when I had bungled the defence and he had to come across to cover:

I enjoyed that as much as a goal.

The old games defeat many a curiousity-seeker because of the expectation that they will be easily conquered. I really did only score 1 goal in 2 matches on the default 3* difficulty. Golden Age PES-WE was such because it denied players any simple direct route to goal. As do the best football games of our day, of course, but the point is that many a footy gamer of the here and now might expect the old games not to be the way they are. The force is strong in this one.

No problem! I was the same with PES4/WE8 as I had it down as possibly my least favourite iteration of the golden era, and that's probably still true if I consider only its non-Liveware form. Those keepers, man, honestly. The overpowered chipped through ball. The floaty shooting. All tightened for WE8LE.

Sensational tackle by Valery. Classic ML default defenders there; constantly bailing themselves out of trouble with often spectacular results. A 41 year-old Dulic is still at the heart of my Monaco defence. Slow as treacle and as weak as a kitten but I still don't have the heart to phase him out.

I was the same with PES4/WE8 as I had it down as possibly my least favourite iteration of the golden era, and that's probably still true if I consider only its non-Liveware form. Those keepers, man, honestly. The overpowered chipped through ball. The floaty shooting. All tightened for WE8LE.

Sensational tackle by Valery. Classic ML default defenders there; constantly bailing themselves out of trouble with often spectacular results. A 41 year-old Dulic is still at the heart of my Monaco defence. Slow as treacle and as weak as a kitten but I still don't have the heart to phase him out.
It was the R1 knock-on from Dulic that left the defence wide-open. I still underestimate the power of the R1 knock-on in that-era of PES, even though I know it's going to be there. R1 knock-on (meaning the one seen above, i.e. when trapping the ball, if you have R1 held and change direction at the moment of trap, your player pushes the ball a long way out before them) is one of the barriers to players going back to thos games now, as it has such power to destroy moves. Everyone wants to hold R1 as much as possible, so there's loads of inadvertent R1 knock-ons. After it's happened a few times, they throw their hands up and abandon the museum piece. But once thoroughly internalised and used as it's meant to, R1 knock-on is something that needs to come back. It has survived to some extent in most PES games since but at a much lower level. I still find my muscle memory expecting more distance in PES 2021, say, which I've probably played as much as any Golden Age edition.

I'd forgotten all about Ostwald, strangely. I remmebered him of course once I'd seen the name, but I would never have recalled him 'cold'. I could have had a good stab at recalling all the others. The Vornander/Vorlander thing would have caught me out, but I'd have remembered that such a player existed under one of his known names. Ostwald, though, I'd have forgotten completely. Looking at the lists of all the Default players over the years, he was sometimes known as Ostwaut, and he never made it past PES4 under either name. He became... Fouque.

Last edited:
It's happened again. There I was three seasons into a Fifa 22 career mode but, with time to kill, what do I fire up... PES 5.

I don't need to tell anyone on here what lures one back to these old PESes but after new Fifa, you get to feel it all over again.

And I still find myself learning new things. Having originally played PES 5 on the wide camera setting, I started my current ML (now 10 seasons in) on the normal-long camera. I've now switched back to wide and its like playing a different game - slower, less frantic and harder, which is good as I was starting to dominate the league with my Brighton side, even with some carefully implemented house rules.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to hear, what ground rules do you use for your ML?

I like using the Foreign Players rule, explained here: https://evoweb.uk/threads/maximum-foreign-players-rules-thread.88602/
Mine are to combat the lack of transfer offers (one of the few issues in PES 5 ML and most others from the era) and to keep my team from becoming stuffed full of superstars...

1. Only available players can be signed (youths or released).

2. 500 point wage cap. Any player I have on wages more than this gets released or swapped for a player within budget. This keeps the best of my former players in the game and not stuck in the long list of 'other players'.

I'd be interested to hear, what ground rules do you use for your ML?
I'm an average enough player that I can get by with no ground rules and still have ML saves reaching 10-15 seasons without me winning everything, and that's how I've played 99% of my MLs.

Some PES editions are easier than others of course, so some years if I want a proper challenge I'll forbid myself more than 1 or 2 players in my squad above 79 OVR. That's it. The simpler the rule(s) the better really. I am 'allowed' a Le Tissier-style star player or two, but never a star-packed team and squad. The head-canon is that I'm a club whose best players are always snapped up by bigger clubs, barring that one Le Tissier type, and so anything I end up winning has a Leicester 2016 fairytale feel. This makes for a long arc of an ML. And it preserves one of the best parts of ML, nurturing players yourself and treasuring them over the seasons. Thought it hurts when they develop and take you over more than the allowed number , and you have to sell one to obey the rule.

Last edited:
Didn't expect this to happen any time soon but here we have it!

A hell of a gap filled in the collection.
How much and from where if you don't mind sharing. I remember Lukasz, Mr. WE9LE himself, struggling to find a physical copy once. It's currently an eye-popping £512 on eBay, and nowhere on Amazon.

I've not got down that deep into a physical collection yet. Still just mopping up the missing PS3 and PS2 European PES editions. PES 2018 on the PS3 is my only missing PS3 copy, but stubbornly isn't coming down in price.

Last edited:
It's happened again. There I was three seasons into a Fifa 22 career mode but, with time to kill, what do I fire up... PES 5.

I don't need to tell anyone on here what lures one back to these old PESes but after new Fifa, you get to feel it all over again.

And I still find myself learning new things. Having originally played PES 5 on the wide camera setting, I started my current ML (now 10 seasons in) on the normal-long camera. I've now switched back to wide and its like playing a different game - slower, less frantic and harder, which is good as I was starting to dominate the league with my Brighton side, even with some carefully implemented house rules.
I advice you to use Elaf gameplay tool.

I'm searching everywhere but impossible to found : WE8 translated (with names, i think it's Fernando 0.7)
If someone got the ISO or the patch...
Btw i tried the PES4-WE8 editor compulsion, but for WE8 it's totally wrong, plenty of names doesn't appears even in their back : it's empty.
I found another one which work with the O_TEXT i think to open btw, seems better.

https://winningeleven-games.com/thread-8143.html

Note : that website is a must have for PS2 translations and patches ;)

Didn't expect this to happen any time soon but here we have it!

A hell of a gap filled in the collection.

View attachment 131469
That one is FAR better than PES 4. If it's the Japanese version, the Korean (on PC too) is in fact the version before than one, less corrections on it.
Well, i think it's +- the same in terms of gameplay... But the rosters are updated on Jap version.
The jap version got all menus in 6 languages but names in jap, the only annoying thing.

EDIT/
AHHH SORRY i thinked it was W8LE. So yes that one is the best probably, even if WE9 is the hardest WE/PES in terms of attacking due to the very strong defensive direction of the game. Few small difference with PES 5. I wanted to buy it at the time, but as rosters weren't up to date... I should have as gameplay is a different experience.

Last edited:
Bros, I'm having a problem with PES 2013 league structure. When I try to exchange two teams in my patch with the internal editor, one of the leagues ends up with the wrong teams.. I'm using a South American patch, not PESEdit or Pesjp.

If anyone here knows anything about PES 2013 editing and league structure, please let me know here or through a PM. It's a little complicated to explain, but I've tried to simplify the explanation as much as I can.. Maybe I can elaborate in a PM if anyone knows about lleague editing in this installment. Thanks in advance bros..

Bros, I'm having a problem with PES 2013 league structure. When I try to exchange two teams in my patch with the internal editor, one of the leagues ends up with the wrong teams.. I'm using a South American patch, not PESEdit or Pesjp.

If anyone here knows anything about PES 2013 editing and league structure, please let me know here or through a PM. It's a little complicated to explain, but I've tried to simplify the explanation as much as I can.. Maybe I can elaborate in a PM if anyone knows about lleague editing in this installment. Thanks in advance bros..
What i only know for sure is,DO NOT MESS WITH LEAGUE structure, through games EDIT MODE.

It creates fake full Austria NT or Ireland? iirc clubs in league.

Better leave ot as it is, or try nitipicknedit someteams, via edit mode or kitserver notepad.

What i only know for sure is,DO NOT MESS WITH LEAGUE structure, through games EDIT MODE.

It creates fake full Austria NT or Ireland? iirc clubs in league.

Better leave ot as it is, or try nitipicknedit someteams, via edit mode or kitserver notepad.
Hi bro, so here's pretty much what I'm trying to do.. I want to play a Millonarios ML, but starting from Second Division!

So, I thought it was pretty straightforward, but turns out it's not.. I wanted to exchange Millonarios for a second division Colombian team called "Cortulua", but when I did, it entered 2 MLS teams! So I reverted back to the original now..

I was wondering,,I have absolutely no idea on how to do this through other means, or kitserver notepad.. I've tried PES 2013 ultimate editor, img importer, a lot of things.. But to no avail..

Perhaps you could help me?? If you want to discuss this PES 2013 league structure issue, here or in a PM, it's up to you bro. :TU:

Hi bro, so here's pretty much what I'm trying to do.. I want to play a Millonarios ML, but starting from Second Division!

So, I thought it was pretty straightforward, but turns out it's not.. I wanted to exchange Millonarios for a second division Colombian team called "Cortulua", but when I did, it entered 2 MLS teams! So I reverted back to the original now..

I was wondering,,I have absolutely no idea on how to do this through other means, or kitserver notepad.. I've tried PES 2013 ultimate editor, img importer, a lot of things.. But to no avail..

Perhaps you could help me?? If you want to discuss this PES 2013 league structure issue, here or in a PM, it's up to you bro. :TU:
I can't mate, unfortunately, i do not know if it is due to HEX editing,exe,edit.bin editing,of editing.

Something of the editing triggers those bugs.Inassume it is side effects of unlocking the "extra" teams.

Try revert one D2 team to default and create Millonarios over them.

My WE8LE don't have the same roster has PES4, and it's not the J-League version. Perhaps you got a korean version i have no idea about.
I talk about WE8LE, WE9LE don't have really a japanese version.

EDIT/
I take JUVE for example, there's no Carini, Miccoli, Baiocco, and there's Ibrahimovic and Bonnefoi as third GK (i must forget some but the team seems decreased in amount of player)

Now, i would need a translation patch because searching with PCSX2 open in one side with WE8le (checking the name on the back for Bonnefoi) and PES4 editor with original file was a bit annoying haha

Last edited:
Reactions: H_G
Is this the best version of WE9/PES5?

Yeah I'd say so. Not the same level of improvement as WE5FE, WE6FE, WE7I or WE8LE offer over their 'parents' though.

////

Just remembered I was going to share my WE8LE option file, which corrects some of the errors in the translation: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AghTkS24FiV48AVIsjweMdchFahC?e=Bg5rCW

Not flawless, only clear and obvious errors picked up. Like VAR. And we all know how accurate it is. :-D

There's a link but you need to suscribe to the website and i'm not even sure that the link will be available lol.
I will try, then updload it (the full iso)

https://www.dekazeta.net/foro/files...atch-winning-eleven-8-liveware-evolution-ps2/

Edit: i tried, applicar parche on the Iso, and i got an error when i launch the disk.
FFS that patch was in PPF, by far easier to apply. But they converted it to DKZ patch. I have no idea how to apply it, it's been 12 years i didn't do that since WE10.

Last edited:
Here's the DKZ patch if you want and got the game. It failed personnaly, i don't know why. Seems the good version... Perhaps not as the final English version was 0.7 (big difference with 0.6 > names translated)

I got practically all J-League version translated until 2007. Ask me if you want one version, except the one posted WE8LE.

Also WE5FE (but not WE5 > the game is basically a copy of ISS pro evolution 2 nothing in common with PES 1) except the one from WE6-PES2

And one i'm really searching for is the 2008 version (i saw somebody here playing it i think)
It's J-League WE 2008 Club Championship, no way to found a patch for it, if you can re-direct me, thanks in advance. It's the only PES 2008 with rosters updated by Konami

Attachments

• Fernando_WE8LE_English_v2_(DkZ).7z
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Here's the DKZ patch if you want and got the game. It failed personnaly, i don't know why. Seems the good version... Perhaps not as the final English version was 0.7 (big difference with 0.6 > names translated)

I got practically all J-League version translated until 2007. Ask me if you want one version, except the one posted WE8LE.

Also WE5FE (but not WE5 > the game is basically a copy of ISS pro evolution 2 nothing in common with PES 1) except the one from WE6-PES2

And one i'm really searching for is the 2008 version (i saw somebody here playing it i think)
It's J-League WE 2008 Club Championship, no way to found a patch for it, if you can re-direct me, thanks in advance. It's the only PES 2008 with rosters updated by Konami

This is the most updated patch that I could download, I think there is a more complete version but I never found a link that works. I also have attached the program to apply the patch to the game image.

:WORSHIP:JLWE2008CC :WORSHIP:

Attachments

• fernando_jlwe2008_english_patch_v15names.zip
    609.3 KB · Views: 11
  • ppf-o-matic.7z
    576.2 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom