The Retro-PES Corner

I revisted the anomaly, XBOX 360 exclusive version of PES 6, using the emulator Xenia. Its interesting to look back on this in an era where Konami released a new yet stripped back football game in eFootball & they did the same thing back in 2006 with the clearly rushed to the market PES 6 port.

However, the gameplay is pretty good at least even if the ball physics are no where near as good as the PS2 version, The stylised player faces and models have a regressive yet strange charm, almost reminding me of PES 2 in their art style & it was the last game to have boxed nets before they sat on the sagging continental ones for the next 5 years.

Ah, the George Lazenby of PES 6 games. Love this edition of the series overall (better than its PS2 cousin IMO) and I clean forgot about it the other day when recalling all the 'new console generation' PESes that have come along and where they rank overall.

PES 2015 on PS4/XB1
new entry> PES 6 on Xbox 360
PES 1 on PS2
PES 2008 on PS3/360
eFootball 2022 on everything and nothing.

PES 6 on the 360 should be nestled in there in second place, only just behind PES 2015 in terms of quality for me.

If we include every single possible platform for all time it quickly gets complicated (PES 5 on PSP, PES 2012 on Vita, etc.) so just the main consoles since 2001 above.

You put together a nice highlights package in your vid that shows the game off well. One half-nitpick with your commentary... It was Beckham who scored that penalty in 2002.... I know you probably meant that it was Owen who won it, fouled by a certain Pochettino no less.

ETA: the pitch in your vid looks very reminiscent of the pitches in a certain recently released eSports title... can't think which one.

And I caught your reference to Beckham's revenge.

Last edited:
I revisted the anomaly, XBOX 360 exclusive version of PES 6, using the emulator Xenia.
What's your config for Xenia? I'm on a 1660ti and the PES 6 iso runs in slow-mo a lot of the time. I had a long Google and think I need the 'canary' edition of Xenia but it's no longer available on the official site. The config file in Documents has so many options. I disabled vsync which helped a little but it's still unplayable. Keen to get this one set up as emulators are the way to go to play the old games (and keep them all in one handy folder on one platform).

Still, I dug out my old 360 and got it set up and gave my 50p-from-Gamestation-in-2010 copy of PES 6 a whirl. A game so old that it comes with a booklet manual. I checked out my old 9-season ML save, with the celebrated Bradley in midfield (if you know, you know...), and also played an England-Argentina match that I lost badly.

What an enjoyable PES this was. Tons of niggling little annoyances, but I've never been a stadium or kits man. One of the most annoying: as soon as you score, often the player celebration cut-scene is triggered instantly, literally the moment the ball hit the back of the net, not really giving you time to relish the visual sight of the goal.

Was this the very last edition of the series where you could access a subs' screen directly inside the Pause menu like so:

Vastly prefer that to the 'Quick Subs' of nowadays, which needs to be used too quickly in too short spaces of time mid-match. I've never used it.

Last edited:
Ah, the George Lazenby of PES 6 games. Love this edition of the series overall (better than its PS2 cousin IMO) and I clean forgot about it the other day when recalling all the 'new console generation' PESes that have come along and where they rank overall.

PES 2015 on PS4/XB1
new entry> PES 6 on Xbox 360
PES 1 on PS2
PES 2008 on PS3/360
eFootball 2022 on everything and nothing.

PES 6 on the 360 should be nestled in there in second place, only just behind PES 2015 in terms of quality for me.

If we include every single possible platform for all time it quickly gets complicated (PES 5 on PSP, PES 2012 on Vita, etc.) so just the main consoles since 2001 above.

You put together a nice highlights package in your vid that shows the game off well. One half-nitpick with your commentary... It was Beckham who scored that penalty in 2002.... I know you probably meant that it was Owen who won it, fouled by a certain Pochettino no less.

ETA: the pitch in your vid looks very reminiscent of the pitches in a certain recently released eSports title... can't think which one.

And I caught your reference to Beckham's revenge.
Is Pes 2015 that good? Better then 2016, 2017? are there fouls? And what do you like about it?

Hello good morning everyone, I am new to this and I need to know how to add new shirts to an unlicensed team, I mean that I have the Averdom patch, which comes with legendary teams like Milan, Barcelona etc ... I have Sider, I have the Kserver, I have everything, I downloaded an AC Milan uniform pack, and I want to add it to that team that has the patch, how can I map that team? Thank you for the pacience:))

Is Pes 2015 that good? Better then 2016, 2017? are there fouls? And what do you like about it?
It's a personal ranking list of the PES games that were the first to be released on their respective consoles. PES 2015 was the best First PES On A New Console in the series' history IMO. I forgot all about PES 6 on Xbox 360 when considering it, but even so, it comes in just behind PES 2015 on PS4/XB1.

I loved PES 2015 in its own right but it's not better than PES 2017 for me. I would pick it ahead of PES 2016 though. Best PES of the PS4 era has to be PES 2021. The community's general disdain toward PES 2021 is most peculiar IMO.

Last edited:
It's a personal ranking list of the PES games that were the first to be released on their respective consoles. PES 2015 was the best First PES On A New Console in the series' history IMO. I forgot all about PES 6 on Xbox 360 when considering it, but even so, it comes in just behind PES 2015 on PS4/XB1.

I loved PES 2015 in its own right but it's not better than PES 2017 for me. I would pick it ahead of PES 2016 though. Best PES of the PS4 era has to be PES 2021. The community's general disdain toward PES 2021 is most peculiar IMO.
Thx allot! I give it a gry. I like 2017 allot, now playing fuma 2021 good game!

Hello good morning everyone, I am new to this and I need to know how to add new shirts to an unlicensed team, I mean that I have the Averdom patch, which comes with legendary teams like Milan, Barcelona etc ... I have Sider, I have the Kserver, I have everything, I downloaded an AC Milan uniform pack, and I want to add it to that team that has the patch, how can I map that team? Thank you for the pacience:))

I'm assuming you're replacing the current kitserver AC Milan kit with the one you downloaded?

If you open kitserver/gdb/uniforms you should see some folders. I'm not familiar with that patch but there's probably a folder called Serie A which is where you should find the current AC Milan folder. Rename that just so as you still have it as a back up and put the downloaded AC Milan in to the folder. That should be all you need to do.

If you're not replacing but adding it in then you'll need to add it into the map, let me know if that's the case and I'll explain that.

@Keith Houchen Thanks mate. I'm using the default config for Xenia, the only setting i changed was the internal resolution scale from 1 up to 3 to tripe the resolution. I have a slightly decent rig so that goes a long way in performance for emulation though.

Canary is great for some games and Xenia is ebtter for others. You can try Canary from this link

https://github.com/xenia-canary/xenia-canary/releases

I may be wrong but I believe its the same leagues as PES 5, just reflects the January transfers as it released in March 2006.
I checked (as i'm very all about database) and it's exactly the same as PES 5 weirdly, sadly no change about rosters.

But to me WE9 JP is still my favourite. Before WE9LE, it's also the more defensive PES ever released, probably why.

@H_G The PC version is exactly the same, i checked.

I sincerely don't recommand PES 2016. Shots are straight bullet, too strong for the keepers, any of them. I remember the time, i was editing that game.
And i gived some retry. It makes me "give up" about editing as the game didn't worth it at all, except if you like bowling games on a football ground.

It's to me the worst from PS4 they released.

Pes 16 is a general disaster imho. I'm kinda sorry to badmouth it as it has its fans around here, but there seriously is an exploit around every corner, if they would have tighted defenses and keepers it probably would be fine, as it is my only memory is having zero joy in scoring practically any kind of goal no matter the conditions.. it just was beyond easy. I think both 15 and (of course) 17 are far better.

Last edited:
I've come to the conclusion that PES4/WE8 is my favourite iteration of the Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven series.

It's brilliant game if you love dribbling and taking on players. The ball feels almost loose, as in it's not tied to your player and can bounce and rebound anywhere. This makes things unpredictable and fun. It's also a very attacking game; the COM is direct, which subsequently makes you more attacking. All this suits me perfectly!

How do you guys feel about this game?

I'm currently playing WE8: Liveware Evolution. I need to find a translation patch, then I'll probably do a Master League. Speaking of that, I still have my PES4 ML posts up from 2005 (I was 17 at the time). See here. The whole thread is worth reading. :)) My most enjoyable ML in the game was with FC Utrecht.

I've come to the conclusion that PES4/WE8 is my favourite iteration of the Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven series.

It's brilliant game if you love dribbling and taking on players. The ball feels almost loose, as in it's not tied to your player and can bounce and rebound anywhere. This makes things unpredictable and fun. It's also a very attacking game; the COM is direct, which subsequently makes you more attacking. All this suits me perfectly!

How do you guys feel about this game?

I'm currently playing WE8: Liveware Evolution. I need to find a translation patch, then I'll probably do a Master League. Speaking of that, I still have my PES4 ML posts up from 2005 (I was 17 at the time). See here. The whole thread is worth reading. :)) My most enjoyable ML in the game was with FC Utrecht.

I don't think there's a bigger improvement between the regular release and the revision than there is with WE8 to WE8LE. Mainly the keepers, which are just shite on the former and PES4.

It's been the subject of my current Master League. Highlights of the last full season can be found here!

I have a translation patch which I modified to include kits and badges. I also have an option file to correct some names. I can share if you'd like? There are also full patches with translations but I don't like it when people change menus, music etc.

I absolutely love the game. Especially when it's raining! Whatever changes they applied to the ball speed/movement for rain would be better served for nicer conditions.

If tokke from FIFA forum was editor for PES 6 it will be amazing...For me he is the best editor ever.. He created tools and they cant convert all the files from newer FIFA games for the older FIFA games like FIFA 11 and FIFA 14...
It will be good if someone like Alegor create facegen model for PES 6 faces...We will be able to make hd faces faster in 2 minutes so it will be good...

I don't think there's a bigger improvement between the regular release and the revision than there is with WE8 to WE8LE. Mainly the keepers, which are just shite on the former and PES4.

It's been the subject of my current Master League. Highlights of the last full season can be found here!

I have a translation patch which I modified to include kits and badges. I also have an option file to correct some names. I can share if you'd like? There are also full patches with translations but I don't like it when people change menus, music etc.

I absolutely love the game. Especially when it's raining! Whatever changes they applied to the ball speed/movement for rain would be better served for nicer conditions.
How do you change the music in the menu, highlights etc? I am using the The Wolf 2005 Evolution Patch for PES 4 but unfortunately the music and menus are completely different than the original. I saw your highlights with Monaco and nostalgia hit me with that highlight tune.

Yes, please share it, that'll be great! I downloaded Fernando's English patch, is that the one you based the patch on? I'm the same way, I don't like patches where they change the background image, menu design, font and music. I prefer like the original, just with official kits, badge and real names.

Nice twitter thread, I'm going through it now. :)

Does the game also have snow too? Also, first game in the series to have full leagues, advantage play and probably more stuff I can't remember. :)

This thread has now started me off on a Winning Eleven kick, which has always been my undiscovered country in footy gaming. I always had the notion that they were the same games as our European PES games really. I got hold of WE 8 and WE8LE last night, very impressed with the gameplay on both. The PES 4/WE8 family might be the most overlooked Golden Age editions of the series. I played PES 4 right enough, a full ML plus change, can still remember certain goals scored etc., but the overall memory tends to be overshadowed by the mighty PES 3 before it and PES 5 after it.

On the LE version, is there a menu button combo to change the in-game text to English, or am I facing the iso hack solution for that? I found English commentary by trial and error, but I'd want English text to play anything like ML.

Last edited:
Yes, please share it, that'll be great! I downloaded Fernando's English patch, is that the one you based the patch on? I'm the same way, I don't like patches where they change the background image, menu design, font and music. I prefer like the original, just with official kits, badge and real names.

Nice twitter thread, I'm going through it now. :)

Does the game also have snow too? Also, first game in the series to have full leagues, advantage play and probably more stuff I can't remember. :)
https://evoweb.uk/posts/3056678
Credit to @user name 99

This thread has now started me off on a Winning Eleven kick, which has always been my undiscovered country in footy gaming. I always had the notion that they were the same games as our European PES games really. I got hold of WE 8 and WE8LE last night, very impressed with the gameplay on both. The PES 4/WE8 family might be the most overlooked Golden Age editions of the series. I played PES 4 right enough, a full ML plus change, can still remember certain goals scored etc., but the overall memory tends to be overshadowed by the mighty PES 3 before it and PES 5 after it.

On the LE version, is there a menu button combo to change the in-game text to English, or am I facing the iso hack solution for that? The native language voice commentary is great for atmosphere but I'd want English text to play anything like ML.

Jury's out on just how different the regular WEs are from their equivalent PESes, but the in-betweeners are absolutely different games. The only golden age in-betweener with an English language option is WE7I. For the others it's patch country.

I'll upload the translated ISO I have later today and can share the link in here as it seems there are a few takers. Unfortunately, it kind of screws up commentary call names. 😕

As I said previously there are a good few patches that change loads of assets like music and menus but they're not for me.

How do you change the music in the menu, highlights etc? I am using the The Wolf 2005 Evolution Patch for PES 4 but unfortunately the music and menus are completely different than the original. I saw your highlights with Monaco and nostalgia hit me with that highlight tune.

I really don't know. 😕 The only thing I figured out how to do was take kits and badges over from one patch to another! So I took kits from a patch into my clean, translated ISO as it's the only thing I wanted. There are tutorials which someone shared quite recently but I can't remember for sure.

The highlights music I use is actually the game's Master League menu music; my favourite version of that iconic theme!

Ι repeat trying to help you. The creator of Wolf Patch PES 4 PC, @TheWolf is a member here in the forum, active again recently.

So anyone interested how to change the music, i suggest to drop him a PM, or mention him to your post asking how.

Every previous time i tried to help tagging him, did not work, either the @mention system is bugged btween us two ( it has happened with other users in the past), or he has just ignored me (either by ignore Button or without button, which is OK and is his right and free will to do, no problem by my side), so someone other take your chances and ask him . Maybe a better luck than me! :)

Last edited:
Jury's out on just how different the regular WEs are from their equivalent PESes, but the in-betweeners are absolutely different games. The only golden age in-betweener with an English language option is WE7I. For the others it's patch country.

I'll upload the translated ISO I have later today and can share the link in here as it seems there are a few takers. Unfortunately, it kind of screws up commentary call names. 😕
I'd probably choose to play with native commentary for background atmosphere anyway -- or even off -- so the callnames aren't an issue, many thanks for a link.

I played the WE8(I) and WE8LE editions back-to-back (on a modern laptop via PCSX2) -- same fixture same conditions -- and noticed a marked difference between the two. The latter feeling more fluid and looser in the passing. Definitely not a classic 'post-patch PES placebo'-style illusion.

On the LE version, is there a menu button combo to change the in-game text to English, or am I facing the iso hack solution for that? I found English commentary by trial and error, but I'd want English text to play anything like ML.

I'm currently using the Fernando's English Patch 2.0. It only changes the text from Japanese to English. Download here. You have to use DkZ Studio to apply the patch onto the ISO.

Fernando's WE8 Liveware Evolution English Patch v2 (2/April/05) ONLY FOR DVD

Summary:
  • 100% Master League
  • 100% League
  • 100% Cup
  • 100% Match/PK Mode
  • 100% Edit Mode
  • 100% Options
  • 99.5% Training (only 4 new, description done, but not explanation)
The patch features English player/team/stadium/league names, English abilities GFX in the DVD and all memory card dialogs in English. Some "hidden" text i found around and Help pages translated.

we8le.jpg.2a5283fd909cb80a46905c0d78ce07c5.jpg

Many thanks to Reefur for the Player names, Para file, and all the support and hard work.

Also Abscroll, Tato, Warpjavier for helping me with the best tools.

Thanks everybody in the community!

by Fernando.

Last edited:
I'm currently using the Fernando's English Patch 2.0. It only changes the text from Japanese to English. Download here. You have to use DkZ Studio to apply the patch onto the ISO.

Fernando's WE8 Liveware Evolution English Patch v2 (2/April/05) ONLY FOR DVD

Summary:
  • 100% Master League
  • 100% League
  • 100% Cup
  • 100% Match/PK Mode
  • 100% Edit Mode
  • 100% Options
  • 99.5% Training (only 4 new, description done, but not explanation)
The patch features English player/team/stadium/league names, English abilities GFX in the DVD and all memory card dialogs in English. Some "hidden" text i found around and Help pages translated.

we8le.jpg.2a5283fd909cb80a46905c0d78ce07c5.jpg

Many thanks to Reefur for the Player names, Para file, and all the support and hard work.

Also Abscroll, Tato, Warpjavier for helping me with the best tools.

Thanks everybody in the community!

by Fernando.

Here's my ISO:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AghTkS24FiV48nboi-1uXQb6brXb

It uses than Fernando translation, but has kits included. Some kit names and numbers are a bit off and national team flags still appear on the kits, but it's good for me.

Quite a few names are wrong, I'll upload my option file too.

I'd probably choose to play with native commentary for background atmosphere anyway -- or even off -- so the callnames aren't an issue, many thanks for a link.

I played the WE8(I) and WE8LE editions back-to-back (on a modern laptop via PCSX2) -- same fixture same conditions -- and noticed a marked difference between the two. The latter feeling more fluid and looser in the passing. Definitely not a classic 'post-patch PES placebo'-style illusion.

Yeah WE8LE is wonderful. For me, it and WE6FE are the two in-betweeners that offer the biggest upgrades on their originals. WE7I is my favourite, but WE7/PES3 was my favourite year to begin with.

Those mid-year games are unequivocally different; beyond simply bugs, cosmetics and squad updates. And - without exception - better.

My dream is to have a gameplay of PES3/WE7 including 5 or six major leagues like PES 4-6 and a master league equal to PES 10/11. For now., i can only dream or play each one of them and experience their unique content. I find PES 3 and 5 the only versions that cannnot be topped in terms of AI, defense and variety of scoring. I have bought PES 20 and 21 for my PS4 but for some reason I can't get the same feeling like the classics.

Back
Top Bottom