The Retro-PES Corner

Frustrating for me as a WE7 and J.League fan that it was the one WE that didn't get a 'playable' J.League version, and instead got a management game! 🤦
Yeah now that I think of it, that is very surprising. Considering how all it they go on the J-League in regards to faces & stadiums, to not get that edition on one of the greatest PES engines of all time is truly a shame.
View attachment 130163

Played my first full PES 5 match ever (I was England), gotta say it was one of my most exciting matches, so many chances by both teams, especially by the Brazilians, (Ronaldo and Adriano) definitely the England GK (Robinson I believe) was man of the match.

Even though the Brazilians had many more chances, I still felt the match was up for grabs. I did have a double rebound by Owen which almost resulted in an extra time goal. In anycase, it was a very very enjoyable match. I can definitely see why PES 5 is ranked so high in this forum. The fun factor and unpredictability were insane! :TU:
Really pleased to hear it made such a positive impression, yes it may be old compared to today's mechanics we've become spoiled by but after a little adjustment, you forget you're playing a 15 year old game and you're brain is merely interpretating the football on your display, not the video game in your console.

Once you've fully bloated yourself on the feast that is PES 5, Dare I suggest you leave room for the dessert in Winning Eleven 9 Liveware Evolution, the Japanese Korean mid season update to PES 5 with refined and better balanced controls and gameplay: In other words the definitive version of the iconic PES 5 experience.

Last edited:
Really pleased to hear it made such a positive impression, yes it may be old compared to today's mechanics we've become spoiled by but after a little adjustment, you forget you're playing a 15 year old game and you're brain is merely interpretating the football on your display, not the video game in your console.

Once you've fully bloated yourself on the feast that is PES 5, Dare I suggest you leave room for the dessert in Winning Eleven 9 Liveware Evolution, the Japanese mid season update to PES 5 with refined and better balanced controls and gameplay: In other words the definitive version of the iconic PES 5 experience.
That's cool man, I've heard great things about WE9 LE as well. What leagues does it have? I'm a big fan of Asian and South American leagues and would love to try it out, also due to the gameplay modifications you mention.

I had a lot of fun, I don't really notice the gameplay mechanics too much or the graphics, beyond the football being played I think the actual video game holds up really well. Can't wait to keep playing it and also PES 6, as well as WE9LE. :TU:

That's cool man, I've heard great things about WE9 LE as well. What leagues does it have? I'm a big fan of Asian and South American leagues and would love to try it out, also due to the gameplay modifications you mention.

I had a lot of fun, I don't really notice the gameplay mechanics too much or the graphics, beyond the football being played I think the actual video game holds up really well. Can't wait to keep playing it and also PES 6, as well as WE9LE. :TU:
I may be wrong but I believe its the same leagues as PES 5, just reflects the January transfers as it released in March 2006.

What I love about those games is that they relfect football far more realistically in terms of player positioning, strategy & consequences for your actions & misjudgement than most modern games.

I think you'd modern games are good games based on football, but this is a good football game.

I may be wrong but I believe its the same leagues as PES 5, just reflects the January transfers as it released in March 2006.

What I love about those games is that they relfect football far more realistically in terms of player positioning, strategy & consequences for your actions & misjudgement than most modern games.

I think you'd modern games are good games based on football, but this is a good football game.
The leagues are same. Only in Others of Europe may vary, can't recall, CAOPOLO from LATAM is there AFAIK. I think they are the same.
*Only one correction, just for the record . IIRC i think WE9LE is Korean only not Japanese release.

source:
https://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/World_Soccer_Winning_Eleven_9:_Liveware_Evolution

P.S.: Sorry for the source, i am using Microsoft Edge, which is Bing-ing, and the algorythm for some reason, is still hating classic wikipedia search results!
:)

Last edited:
I think they are the same.
*Only one correction, just for the record . IIRC i think WE9LE is Korean only not Japanese release.
Correct, I keep bloody forgetting. Its what makes it even more fascinating, that it's not even a home continent release - it's literally a version for one sole market, and they got the best version in existence!

@marqisspes6 Do you know if it's possible to use the database of WE9LE PC on PES 5 PC ?
They are the same when it come about stats there's only two main difference in the 124 bytes of players 1 callnames 2 hairstyles i believe we9lek has some more i dont remember quite well but if you import the we9lek db into pes5 it will mess up the callnames and the hairstyles, but... Yes can be imported with my of team editor tool, export we9lek to csv and then import that csv into pes5 but like i said... There is not difference when it comes to stats or transfers

I've found three versions of WE9 LE which I am interested in (I'd like to play WE9 with original season, not current lineups).

- The original version
- WE9 LE Geezer
- WE9 LE with K-patch included

Which one would you guys recommend for the best experience?
Thanks. :TU:

AFAIK they're the same 🤔 when i get home i will compare both option files and tell you if they are or not the same, but im pretty sure i did that comparation before...
I just tried WE8 LE and the database is different than PES 4, even there's Messi in the 04/05 squad

I've found three versions of WE9 LE which I am interested in (I'd like to play WE9 with original season, not current lineups).

- The original version
- WE9 LE Geezer
- WE9 LE with K-patch included

Which one would you guys recommend for the best experience?
Thanks. :TU:
Ι like a lot by Geezer and its season updates for 2016 adn 2017 by Nemanja, but it has an issue in ML, if you mess a lot with league structure it crashes to desktop. For exhibitions it is the best, with awesome modified camera zoom.

Last edited:
He was, but with a poor polygon, more a PES-gift youth talent, like Kompany, Vanden Borre and Joe Lewis (the Norwich GK) !
Wasn't Messi in PES 4?

In PES 4, he is a very poor youth player for Barcelona whose main stats are technique and short pass accuracy. He wouldn't be a recommended signing as he's also very weak and lacks stamina for a winger.

He does have decent potential, however requires a lot of patience and gradual development. Due to him unlikely to feature in the first team, he won't be exposed to the much needed experience.

He was, but with a poor polygon, more a PES-gift youth talent, like Kompany, Vanden Borre and Joe Lewis (the Norwich GK) !

In PES 4, he is a very poor youth player for Barcelona whose main stats are technique and short pass accuracy. He wouldn't be a recommended signing as he's also very weak and lacks stamina for a winger.

He does have decent potential, however requires a lot of patience and gradual development. Due to him unlikely to feature in the first team, he won't be exposed to the much needed experience.
Yeah I do recall he didn't get his own face until PES 6. I used to give him Nedved's face back then 😅

Where is that write up taken from? I know it's the stuff of football folklore now that he was written off as being physically incompatible with the demands of the game despite his talent but so was every magic midget back then.

Just imagine being the author of this in 2004, having no clue you was talking about the next best player in the world for the next 15 years...

Probably thought Queresma & Tevez were going to carry the sport forward instead...

Talking about WE9LE. Some time ago I tried a bunch of patches for it from the installers thread.. and I've found it considerably easier compared with Pes5/other WE9s I played. Like I can feel it's more fluid than his predecessors, but this "smoothness" or whatever it is makes me blatantly chain things and arrive to goal chances in a way I can't in any of the others. Am I the only one?

Yeah I do recall he didn't get his own face until PES 6. I used to give him Nedved's face back then 😅

Where is that write up taken from? I know it's the stuff of football folklore now that he was written off as being physically incompatible with the demands of the game despite his talent but so was every magic midget back then.

Just imagine being the author of this in 2004, having no clue you was talking about the next best player in the world for the next 15 years...

Probably thought Queresma & Tevez were going to carry the sport forward instead...
It is from pes.neoseeker. Not sure if it is from back then or retroactive edited. Seems neoseeker was revived in 2020, and now dead again.

https://pes.neoseeker.com/wiki/Lionel_Messi

I remember like it was yesterday, before the internet era, summer of Copa America 2004, by newspapers and TV, Robinho was expected to be the next Pelé, and Tevez the next Maradona.

C. Ronaldo was a promising youngster who showcased some great skills in Euro 2004 and Messi was under the radar, in the junior Argentina squads U18, U17 maybe.

Freddy Adu was the known marketing trick "Next Pele".

Talking about WE9LE. Some time ago I tried a bunch of patches for it from the installers thread.. and I've found it considerably easier compared with Pes5/other WE9s I played. Like I can feel it's more fluid than his predecessors, but this "smoothness" or whatever it is makes me blatantly chain things and arrive to goal chances in a way I can't in any of the others. Am I the only one?
Is definitely a lot more responsive than 5 & I feel they reduced the amount of error in passes, only slighty but enough to improve game flow as you mention.
It is from pes.neoseeker. Not sure if it is from back then or retroactive edited. Seems neoseeker was revived in 2020, and now dead again.

https://pes.neoseeker.com/wiki/Lionel_Messi

I remember like it was yesterday, before the internet era, summer of Copa America 2004, by newspapers and TV, Robinho was expected to be the next Pelé, and Tevez the next Maradona.

C. Ronaldo was a promising youngster who showcased some great skills in Euro 2004 and Messi was under the radar, in the junior Argentina squads U18, U17 maybe.

Freddy Adu was the known marketing trick "Next Pele".
Yup, it's more of a curse than a help isn't it, christening a media darling player as the next so & so. I think the only player post Ronaldo/Messi that really lived up to the unhealthy pressure & expectation is Neymar. Even M'bappe's ascension didn't seem to have anywhere near the expectation that Neymar's did & the young French starlet even beat him to a World Cup.

You're not the only one and it's a well-known aspect of WE9LE. Most of the fan patches for WE9LE dilute the PES 5 formula, and deliberately so. There are many PES 5 fans who regard the fouls – arguably the greatest aspect of the greatest computer game of all time – as a flaw that needs to be fixed, which is like saying the Mona Lisa needs a moustache IMO, but they're entitled to their view. WE9LE modded (I forget the leading mod version's name now, but it was curated by an EvoWeb poster named Lukasz) reduces fouls across the board and alters the player stats to make the experience more multiplayer-friendly as well. When I tried that mod years ago the Master League barely worked as it really is crafted for two human players to face off online in single matches.

Last night i tried the PES 2017 demo on pc, i downloaded steam and i tried it... It s the same game with PES 2016 lol...I dont know how a company can change the game completely from demo to the last update in full version...They released the PES 2016 for demo with new rosters and they gave other game for full game....For me PES 2017 is the best football game i ever play...After PES 6 and PES 5 of course...
The bad with the PES and FIFA games 2008-2022 is that they arent something special for their days...PES 5 and PES 6 were something special for their days...I tried FIFA 22 and efootball PES 2021 i played a lot of games and i wanted to sleep i couldnt focus on the games...PES 2017 has a nice animations smart AI the CPU is playing realistic football and is smart the goalkeepers are good and it has the PES passion...it s not a boring game...

I just tried WE8 LE and the database is different than PES 4, even there's Messi in the 04/05 squad

i manage to export the we9lek db to csv and compare to pes5 db, i can confirm there is not a single change, i got a translation of the game probably there are some mistakes in there but as far i see there is not change, if someone manage to give me the original option file in korean language i can check it out and confirm it again, maybe we8le is different but not with we9le version. also i dont know if you tried the original we8le version with korean language, probably if it was an english translation someone made some updates...

Last night i tried the PES 2017 demo on pc, i downloaded steam and i tried it... It s the same game with PES 2016 lol...I dont know how a company can change the game completely from demo to the last update in full version...They released the PES 2016 for demo with new rosters and they gave other game for full game....
I can't speak for the PC version of 2017's demo, but my experience with the PS4 demo was that it was the first time I was blown away by a PES demo since maybe PES 2012.

It definitely shone as a totally different game from 2016 in the PS4 demo & I remember seeing things unfold in a PES game I never thought I would. It finally felt like they had matched the unpredictability & flow of FIFA & then some considering that game's janky transition to frostbite that year too.

Just pisses me off so much they didn't make the effort to port the PS4 version to PC. Some argument could be made at the time that it was due to the average consumers PC at the time however, from a persevertion standpoint, the PC edition of 2017 will be entombed as the inferior port now, especially now the requirements can be more comfortably met by users less than 5 years later.

I revisted the anomaly, XBOX 360 exclusive version of PES 6, using the emulator Xenia. Its interesting to look back on this in an era where Konami released a new yet stripped back football game in eFootball & they did the same thing back in 2006 with the clearly rushed to the market PES 6 port.

However, the gameplay is pretty good at least even if the ball physics are no where near as good as the PS2 version, The stylised player faces and models have a regressive yet strange charm, almost reminding me of PES 2 in their art style & it was the last game to have boxed nets before they sat on the sagging continental ones for the next 5 years.

I can't speak for the PC version of 2017's demo, but my experience with the PS4 demo was that it was the first time I was blown away by a PES demo since maybe PES 2012.

It definitely shone as a totally different game from 2016 in the PS4 demo & I remember seeing things unfold in a PES game I never thought I would. It finally felt like they had matched the unpredictability & flow of FIFA & then some considering that game's janky transition to frostbite that year too.

Just pisses me off so much they didn't make the effort to port the PS4 version to PC. Some argument could be made at the time that it was due to the average consumers PC at the time however, from a persevertion standpoint, the PC edition of 2017 will be entombed as the inferior port now, especially now the requirements can be more comfortably met by users less than 5 years later.
Graphics aside, which I've heard are not ported too well, I actually enjoyed PES 2017 PC a lot, it was the game that got me into PES. :TU:

I quite liked the gameplay, I didn't really feel any script, almost ever, and the actual games felt very fair and balanced. It's no coincidence that my favorite Holland .exe for PES 2021 is actually, PES 2017. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom