The Retro-PES Corner

Does anybody else feel that in PES 2013, there's way too much emphasis on counterattacking in the gameplay?

It just feels like, regardless of the difficulty level, the whole attacking strategy of the CPU is.. counterattack at all times. Little to no buildup play. And even in one's own team, it's like possession football is just not going to work. The game almost forces you to counterattack all the time.

TBH the only reason why I'm playing PES 2013 is because it's the only one of the trilogy (PES 2011,2012,2013) that has a good South American patch with working links......... There are many aspects to this installment which I think aren't as good as PES 2011 or PES 2012.... Maybe there's something else I need to tweak. But the gameplay seems a bit broken to me.
Yeah definitely. It does seem like even though 2012 & 2013 are genetically the same game, they are different philosophically. 2012 is much more of a well paced simulation while 2013 is more of a frenetic and casual structured game.

Both fantastic in their own rights but I prefer the consequential nature of 2012, 2013 is one of those football games where you can feel like you've conceded because the game decides to send you defenders beserk and they can't keep their shape giving you a chance to take agency over stopping said counter attacks.

Similarly, I will never forget firing it up for the first time with my brand new PS3 and TV and watching the horror unfold in front of my eyes. Had gone to Tesco at midnight to grab a copy as they were putting it on the shelves. Excitement was soon quashed. Bought the PS2 version a few days later and played it for the year before defecting.
I quite enjoyed PES2008 PS3 at first, because I'm an average player of all games and it takes me a while to crack a football game. I always had to start on Regular and move up through the difficulties over weeks and months. But PES2008 on PS3 fell within a week. I was literally running in circles around the Top Player AI, completely unprecedented and horrifying. Everyone who picks it up for the first time nowadays wonders what the problem was, until they get to that point. I played FIFA 08 for a few months (that was a great FIFA) and only then picked up the PS2 version of PES2008 and played 12+ seasons in ML. In the Encyclopaedia of PES we might want to call that game PES 7 just to distinguish it from its cousins on other platforms, as it causes a lot of confusion, as I showed above too.

I generally agree on the Pes 2013 opinion, even if I still think it's a fantastic game in a lot of ways. If it was a bit less rigid in some things it would have been out of scale. As it is it's "just" a very enjoyable game that feels, again, fantastic in some things and dull in others.

Anyway, I feel like 1.04, which is the Pesedit version, plays significantly better than whatever previous version they usually make patches on. I even did a compilation with the variety of AI plays in my ML, it was a bit barebones but I might post it a day one of this days.

Not that problem on X360 weirldly. It was very smooth. First PS3 games as the console was hard to manage (I remember that PES 2008 was worked on PC and ported to other consoles from an article, i can be wrong but i'm pretty sure that time)

And X360 games from the PS3 debut were by far better optimised, with better colors (even with YUV...)
PES 2011 on the Xbox 360 was so solid and enjoyable, an all-round better experience than on the PS3. I had both consoles and kept them until today because I'll always want to be able to play those old games on their original console. There's no PCSX2-equivalent for the PS3/360 era just yet (they're close, but not quite there).

Colours were better on the 360 and PES always ran smoother on it. I never tried 2008 on it but the choppy cutscenes were never the main issue with 2008 for any of us. It was the un-PESlike gameplay, which was partly down to the optimisation they had to do in-game (remember the painful last-third slowdown). I remember Seabass saying that they had serious discussions about delaying 2008 until the following year but decided they couldn't afford to let FIFA have a free year -- it was only recently that PES had outsold FIFA (the year of PES5 I think) and commercially they couldn't have a gap year. History repeating itself today....

'What is the best PES released for a new generation of consoles' might be a good topic... The easy winner is PES 2015 IMO (PES 2015 is one of the best PESes full stop for me). PES 1 in second place. And PES 2008 in 3rd, with eFootball unfortunately last for now, solely because it's not feature-complete or as playable out of the box.

Last edited:
I gotted it on PC and both on PS3, i could told that there was a small difference. And it was my older PC, but it worked pretty well on it. Now i only care about version that you can't have on PC.

But not in gameplay, more in visual i agree. Perhaps control (lag?) i don't remember well. As i played much more FIFA 11 at the time, but also when i gotted enough, i started to play PES 2011 late.

Yeah definitely. It does seem like even though 2012 & 2013 are genetically the same game, they are different philosophically. 2012 is much more of a well paced simulation while 2013 is more of a frenetic and casual structured game.

Both fantastic in their own rights but I prefer the consequential nature of 2012, 2013 is one of those football games where you can feel like you've conceded because the game decides to send you defenders beserk and they can't keep their shape giving you a chance to take agency over stopping said counter attacks.
The only problem with PES 2012 is the game speed, really too fast imo.

I suppose that decreasing the speed makes the game weird no? You can in 2011 and 2013, but it feeled a bit "forced".

I tried to make a patch for my PES 2017...But it s difficult... :d I dont have the time to update whole game and i hate these Asian and Latin American teams i dont have idea about their rosters...I hate and the licensed teams because i need to use cpk i cant use the ingame editor to change logos and kits...And i tried to remove some teams and some leagues with ejonc's editor but the edimode doesnt work... :d
I want to go back in time and sent a message to riot's support please in PES 2017 dont have any licensed teams and remove these fcking Asian and Latin American teams...And to EA Sports please buy Copa Libertadores...I tried some patches but are incompleted..I tried and some patches with the last year season and some teams have the rosters and kits of season 2019-20...

Issue with PES 2017 : IG facial traits are outdated (main that they changed every part to make it more lookalike), it's hard to make someone resembling for real, like the body is looking "fat".
Well i got another issue from games before PES 2020, is about Dribbling and Agression. Now that i'm used to rate players regarding if they're more "keeping the ball" or "running with", i got hard to came back when it wasn't separate.

But well those visual issues are principally for PS4.
I wanted to try if it runs on my PC as it's one of my favourite whatever, i would buy it but i need at least something to "try" it before... If you know what i mean, twice i got some wrong iso. I don't think there's a Demo available on Steam.
Needs an Editor for it, i don't know what you could recommand for that version.

Last edited:
Guys I just discovered the world of patched old PES games and I'm loving it.....been playing a lot of PES 6 lately. One question though - how the hell do you shoot in this game? You barely tap the shoot button and the ball goes flying..

What do you mean you got wrong iso?
Was a fake .rar i think. Now it's okay i found another.
Needs to install it and check if it's compatible, will do it another time, but i suppose it's the same as PES 2021 Lite.
i tried to check the requirement tool, but the two last are "bad" listed, RAM and another thing.

PES 2015 and 2016 got all "good" on the 4 parameters but they were from PS360 ports, not PS4/ONE
Don't know about the 2017 version (i only read people said it was a bit bad optimised on PC, perhaps with the old Windows 10 and Nvidia drivers)

Has anyone played J League Winning Eleven Tactics? Is it like a earlier version of Pro Evolution Soccer Management?

It's the same as PES MANAGEMENT but with J-League i think. Not sure about the rosters updated or not btw as i never tried the JP version, but PES MANAGERMENT got exactly the same database as PES5.

Edit, the Winning Eleven Tactics is out on 2003, while PES Club Management on 2006. I noticed some differences from vids.

Last edited:
Guys I just discovered the world of patched old PES games and I'm loving it.....been playing a lot of PES 6 lately. One question though - how the hell do you shoot in this game? You barely tap the shoot button and the ball goes flying..
That is by design. PES 6 was a light shooting year. All the Golden Age PESes have featherlight shooting compared to now. Back then (and still today to some extent) the editions of PES alternated between having lighter and heavier shooting. It was one of the ways the developers made each new PES distinct feel from its predecessor and dampened complaints about them being too similar (which always happened anyway). It is something you just have to get (re-)used to, and you really do after a while. Spend some time in Training just taking potshots and the feel soon comes back.

If there isn't a mod somewhere to make PES 6's shooting heavy I'd be surprised. But PES 6 is one of the most revered editions of the series, and the feeling with the crown jewels of PES is always that they're perfect as they are. Similar to those who complain about too many fouls in PES 5. Any apparent imperfections are part of the overall perfection....

Needs to install it and check if it's compatible, will do it another time, but i suppose it's the same as PES 2021 Lite.
i tried to check the requirement tool, but the two last are "bad" listed, RAM and another thing.

PES 2015 and 2016 got all "good" on the 4 parameters but they were from PS360 ports, not PS4/ONE
Don't know about the 2017 version (i only read people said it was a bit bad optimised on PC, perhaps with the old Windows 10 and Nvidia drivers)
Its a bad optimised...it s truth...But dont care about these parameters are whatever...The bad with the game is that is difficult to run on high settings are bugged but the medium settings are ok i mean you wont lose any graphics quality...I didnt have the game some friend gave it to me just for give it a try...i quit football games in 2016...This year i wanted to buy a console- PS5 for the next gen football games but the efootball 2022 is sht and i didnt impress with new FIFA...Now i am using my old PC for football games, my strong pc i have it for better things so my best games now are PES 5, PES 6, PES 2017 and FIFA 14...I have PES 2013 too...

No dude,you are wrong.

On PC PES2015=2016=2017. 2018 and over are "next gen" ports. If your PC can run 2015 & 2016, then 2017 has the very same requirements.

PES 2015? Are you sure? I remember well people complained it wasn't like the PS4 "next-gen" version on many things, like visuals. Same as PES 2016.
And i can confirm it was different in lighting etc.

But in reality i tried PS3 version, the gameplay is exactly similar. Visual a bit closer to PC, but not the FPS.

PES 2015? Are you sure? I remember well people complained it wasn't like the PS4 "next-gen" version on many things, like visuals. Same as PES 2016.
And i can confirm it was different in lighting etc.

But in reality i tried PS3 version, the gameplay is exactly similar. Visual a bit closer to PC, but not the FPS.
I am sure. Neither 2017 is not like the PS4. It is the PS3 port, like PES 2015 and 2016 are.

It is PES 2018 that PC got first time, the next gen PS4 and XboxONE ports.

Last edited:
I perhaps said things wrong : but it's what i wanted to say in fact lol.
PES 2015-17 PC = PS3. I thinked that you were saying PES 15-17 PC=PS4, sorry for the misunderstanding

Well, only visual like i said, gameplay and animations, physics are the same. Perhaps less details too all around the pitch but for what i care.
It's not that important, with visuals mods, and as long as the overall game is the same to play...

I even preferred PES 2015 PS3 as you could've add kits, emblems, well option files. I remember worked on fakes teams on PS4 to makes kits lookalike.
IG it was okay, no joke, except ugly emblems of course. But while playing, it wasn't that bad. I extracted colors from the best created kits i remember, and toned down the kit's lighting as colors where too shiny on kits ig made.

Last edited:
I perhaps said things wrong : but it's what i wanted to say in fact lol.
PES 2015-17 PC = PS3. I thinked that you were saying PES 15-17 PC=PS4, sorry for the misunderstanding

Well, only visual like i said, gameplay and animations, physics are the same. Perhaps less details too all around the pitch but for what i care.
It's not that important, with visuals mods, and as long as the overall game is the same to play...

I even preferred PES 2015 PS3 as you could've add kits, emblems, well option files. I remember worked on fakes teams on PS4 to makes kits lookalike.
IG it was okay, no joke, except ugly emblems of course. But while playing, it wasn't that bad. I extracted colors from the best created kits i remember, and toned down the kit's lighting as colors where too shiny on kits ig made.
The in game editor is the painfull one where you import, part by part templates, Front Kit, Backkit, right shoulder, left shoulder, Right shorts, left shorts, front socks, back socks. It is 8 parts imports, every 1 kit, i tell you so, cause i edit 2015 and 2016 by hand, and it is really painfull. AND you must edit the base kit, cause the colours are visible between images gaps, not only in equipment like next gen. It is a very time wasting process.

A good place to start if you want, that i used since 2016 is this for PC/PS3 kit templates. PESMASTER kit builder of course, now lets you to extract you kit desing to PS3 template.

https://emptyspaceskits.weebly.com/

Here is Arsenal for example,

https://emptyspaceskits.weebly.com/premier-league/arsenal-20-21-kits

As for performance comparison, i have both versions 2017 PS4 and PC. I feel PS4 version is slighty superior, except for the graphics part, it feelsm little smoother, i believed it was due to i play in medium/low settings, but @Chris Davies did a face-to-face comparison crash test back then, i assume he has much better PC than me, and he concluded that PS4 has some better performance to response times, minor differences but you can feel it in the gamepad while playing.

Yes i understand about templates as it's a copy paste from PS3, based on old PES system before they "unlocked" the way to assign exact same kits level as there's in game. Yes also on PESMASTER there's a converter from 2021 to PES6, for "at least" having separate stuffs.

PES 2016 PS4 was the first that you could've import full kits, in one image if i remember. But the "ted" or "bin" at the time system was only doable since PES 2017. Then on PES 2019, there was "ced" (competitions) to import, a lot of time saving for the future version with tons of leagues and cup unlicensed.

Talking about current editors, like Dinotem, ejogc etc. : i searched one version to extract teds, it would have took way less time for some teams and copy J-League for example. Even if there's still some work to do after : for example, every player with a preset, even on Mobile got an "hidden" face which is often pretty lookalike to the real one, like Iniesta for example. BUT there's one thing messed up : it's head and face size: they are resized to fit with the preset if you know what i mean. To recognise presets as there's nothing checked, from mobile : you have to check the body structure : if it's different from the standards (i already know about the standards, poster on PESGAMING) > it's a preset...

My J-League O.T. creation and errors (to read as could be on PC patch with extracted PES 2021 Mobile without changing it)

BUT once, on the first live update of the DLC 2.0 on PES 2020 : i checked about Shinji Ono (yes he still play) and it was something that tilted me : his body structure were the "standard", but he's a preset face on PES 2020. So i checked and discovered that even his head was resized. And it was the same for every presets. So i keept that Live Update version, and restored all faces size (i already did it, but not like on PES, just from pics). As i recopy manually.
Well, half of "supposed preset" in J-League were remade by myself, aswell as hairstyle, but for some less important it was a good discover.

So for example if you found on your PES 2021 option file or PES 2019 and 2020 flat heads on J-League, it's the cause of it. I still got the Live update i'm basing on. But i also correct tons of errors (especially the old error with 4/4 wrong foot who was 4 on a 8 scale, badly converted without divide by 2. (ex: 4 and 5 on a 8 scale should be 2 on a for scale. 6 should be 3 and 7-8 should be 4)
Well, no prob as plenty those players cames from a bad conversion from WE2014 Aoki, and i got the rosters on 3DS.

That's the 2 or 3 big thing you have to do when you create J-League based on PESMOBILE.
On my PS4 version there's everything corrected, as i did it manually from PES 2019 and used the base copy system from SMC tool. He sent me the 2021 beta version, never released here weirdly

That is by design. PES 6 was a light shooting year. All the Golden Age PESes have featherlight shooting compared to now. Back then (and still today to some extent) the editions of PES alternated between having lighter and heavier shooting. It was one of the ways the developers made each new PES distinct feel from its predecessor and dampened complaints about them being too similar (which always happened anyway). It is something you just have to get (re-)used to, and you really do after a while. Spend some time in Training just taking potshots and the feel soon comes back.

If there isn't a mod somewhere to make PES 6's shooting heavy I'd be surprised. But PES 6 is one of the most revered editions of the series, and the feeling with the crown jewels of PES is always that they're perfect as they are. Similar to those who complain about too many fouls in PES 5. Any apparent imperfections are part of the overall perfection....
Well stated and explained. Just gotta get a few more games in I suppose. Just kills me when I have a nice run up to a goal or create a great chance and then I barely tap the shoot button and BAM…row Z…will go to practice mode and see if that helps. Thanks!

It's the same as PES MANAGEMENT but with J-League i think. Not sure about the rosters updated or not btw as i never tried the JP version, but PES MANAGERMENT got exactly the same database as PES5.

Edit, the Winning Eleven Tactics is out on 2003, while PES Club Management on 2006. I noticed some differences from vids.

I'd love to see the features in those management games incorporated in the current Master League. Konami just need create more Playing Styles (like Pep's "central full-backs") and allow you to control it's intensity. Or maybe combine the Playing Styles with the Advanced Instructions and allow you to assign it to each player. The formation will be the base, while the advanced instruction/playing styles will be the granularity.

Yes, even at the time it was released, people wanted it. But it was a full game, no place to put everything on a DVD from the time.
And "current" (let's say PS4...) PES didn't checked that much about the past stuffs at all. I don't even think the current guys remember of that game because "it didn't sold".

1635829516109.png

Played my first full PES 5 match ever (I was England), gotta say it was one of my most exciting matches, so many chances by both teams, especially by the Brazilians, (Ronaldo and Adriano) definitely the England GK (Robinson I believe) was man of the match.

Even though the Brazilians had many more chances, I still felt the match was up for grabs. I did have a double rebound by Owen which almost resulted in an extra time goal. In anycase, it was a very very enjoyable match. I can definitely see why PES 5 is ranked so high in this forum. The fun factor and unpredictability were insane! :TU:

Back
Top Bottom