The Retro-PES Corner

Ah so you mean Guy Butters? Just did a little research and found out he used to play for Spurs. Well, I'm not talking about this Butters. I'm talking about the Australian Michael Butters, taking into consideration in 2006 he was 18 and he has the same nationality as his counterpart Burchet

Yeah Guy Butters, we signed him from Spurs. I've never heard of Michael Butters before, who knows, with Konami anything is possible!

Ah so you mean Guy Butters? Just did a little research and found out he used to play for Spurs. Well, I'm not talking about this Butters. I'm talking about the Australian Michael Butters, taking into consideration in 2006 he was 18 and he has the same nationality as his counterpart Burchet

The menus were absolutely terrible, there is no denying that, the music was so bad "at least for me" did not feel the hype of earlier PESs. But in terms of gameplay and overall look of on the pitch, it was decent
Every time i read here about 2008 playing it retrospective i am tempted to re-install it and give a go, but once i open the closet storage where i keep it and i see those depressing Owen and Ronaldo faces looking at me, recalling all that old bad memories back at the days, i postopone it thinking : "naaaah....maybe next time..."

I don't know, this game creates me so many negative vibes , apart from its various issues outside gameplay. From the bad cover, to bad UI, to all characters CAPS LOCKed....

Last edited:
Every time i read here about 2008 playing it retrospective i am tempted to re-install it and give a go, but once i open the closet storage where i keep it and i see those depressing Owen and Ronaldo faces looking at me, recalling all that old bad memories back at the days, i postopone it thinking : "naaaah....maybe next time..."

i dont know this game attractes so may various issues excepr for gameplay. From the bad cover, to bad UI, to all characters CAPS LOCKed....
Maybe it left its "next gen" term as the first next gen maybe for PES, so people wan't to test if it was really that bad. Rating from the menu, UI and the caps lock you said, yes it was horrible, until you go play an exhibition match. And you discover it's even better when you start a ML, although the improvements and additions were little but it made the experience cool and fun. So, when is next time, mate?
Honestly, I haven't played a Master League in PES 2008, spend most of the time playing League modes with different clubs and patches.

Maybe it left its "next gen" term as the first next gen maybe for PES, so people wan't to test if it was really that bad. Rating from the menu, UI and the caps lock you said, yes it was horrible, until you go play an exhibition match. And you discover it's even better when you start a ML, although the improvements and additions were little but it made the experience cool and fun. So, when is next time, mate?
Honestly, I haven't played a Master League in PES 2008, spend most of the time playing League modes with different clubs and patches.
I hope soon. Has some interesting moments like this dog standing by you! :)
300px-7.jpg

Or Castolo being captive in a cage! :D
pes2008-master.jpg

Thing is, Burchet first appeared six years earlier in ISSPE2. I understand there's been confirmation otherwise, but I still theorise that the defaults are entirely random or based on some hidden or inside joke (like ISSPE and their motorsports theme). And when the names were changed in WE6FE it was just for the lols. Hey, people believe the world is flat despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary; this is nothing.

I don't know, this game creates me so many negative vibes apart from , apart from its various issues except in gameplay. From the bad cover, to bad UI, to all characters CAPS LOCKed....

I look at Owen and Ronaldo and their dead eyes and all I hear is "[drumroll] we're gonna play football, SOCCER". It takes me back to my bedroom, 2007, cellophane and boxes lying everywhere, putting a disappointing disc into my shiny new PS3 and watching choppy, noisy, football-shaped disappointment on my shiny new TV.

Thing is, Burchet first appeared six years earlier in ISSPE2. I understand there's been confirmation otherwise, but I still theorise that the defaults are entirely random or based on some hidden or inside joke (like ISSPE and their motorsports theme). And when the names were changed in WE6FE it was just for the lols. Hey, people believe the world is flat despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary; this is nothing.

I look at Owen and Ronaldo and their dead eyes and all I hear is "[drumroll] we're gonna play football, SOCCER". It takes me back to my bedroom, 2007, cellophane and boxes lying everywhere, putting a disappointing disc into my shiny new PS3 and watching choppy, noisy, football-shaped disappointment on my shiny new TV.
Checked a video by Retro Football channel on Youtube to re-evaluate things...First thing i see MySpace banner!!!! Big nostalgia vibes!!! :P

So, first serious thing i notice, players are running (can't find the proper english term) they are stepping on their toes (tiptoes?). Really awkward feeling. Completelly ruins the foot-planting feeling.

Even in this video, first random video i find while searching in YouTube, PES2008 (nextgen) is second worst, right behind Goal Storm. Although i find a little bit unfair, including Goal Storm in this list.

I'm pretty sure there weren't Cellini or Dodos for them to take inspirations from in Italy. Dodo isn't even an italian surname lol. Regading defaults names, I think it's more or less all random as well.

Sometimes I have doubts even about the very popular "Minanda is Rui Costa" one. I think Portugal always had a lot of classy omfs and Minanda is just a stereotype of that, a bit like Cellini (or Celnini) or the same Dodo are the stereotype of the classic italian dmf (Tardelli, Oriali, or more recently Gattuso.. altough if we only talk looks Dodo looks a bit like he could be the latter lol).

I also feel the same. Pes 2008 on next gen wasn't a problem to me. It seemed more like a graphically improved PES 6 with better refereeing. I loved the gameplay, free kick mechanics. I just don't agree on one point: the ball physics, they were too over powered.
Unfortunately, I lost the game long time ago although in fact, I have downloaded some kit templates and boots to start a patch
I don't want to download it from dodgy sites, I need to ask @Camaldinho for that.
Cam, can you assist us (at least me for the moment) with a link for PES 2008 if you have any ?

Note: I think the issue with pes 2008 is that it didn't deliver what the community wanted but it wasn't bad at all for me
I have PES 2008. I will try and upload it when I can.

I haven't forgotten about PES 2015, I did purchase the game but it got lost in ''postage'' :( So I'm trying to source another one.

I am also trying to get my hands on PES 2016. (Which is rare to get a physical copy nowadays) But I have my eye on one.

Yes positioning was one of my biggest WTF!! aside with bad footplanting/ice skating, which was camouflaged better at least when you played in HIGH detail settings on PC. But i remember how much i hated , when multiple times i saw my RB being in LMF position and cutting inside as a Second Striker. IIRC this kept up until PES 2010.
Yeah that's right it wasn't much better in 2009 either. 2009 also has some downgrades especially in the sound department. The crowd noise is just dead hideous and even the 3D models from 2008 are removed in favour of 2D colourless ones.

After some time away from games, I played 2 games of PES 5 today, scored 2 amazing goals, and man this game felt like a huge breath of fresh air after all the recent news and all this eFootball shenanigans . Sorry I don't think that name should be mentioned in this thread, but well It has been mentioned now. I hope it doesn't curse this thread.

Just catching up after the 'news' this week and not surprised to see it busier than ever on this, the best thread on evoweb.

I've been a retro player for ages now and I will once again second @geeeeee in saying PES 2008 (PS2) is the best of the 'lost' PESes (those being any of the PS2 era from PES 2008 to 2014) and better than PES 6.

The very best overall though is still PES 5. What...a...game. 😍

2008 is great. If you love 6, I don't really get how you could not love 2008.

It was probably my favourite in terms of playing against friends, but I don't think it worked as well against CPU. Like 6, dribbling is just too easy. If you have a centre back on good form, you can take players on for fun. I also thought it was far too easy to score from distance. Still very fun in small doses, but I can't see myself playing it at any great length again.

The 360 version of 2008 was even crazier. It was even easier to take it past a ton of players and even easier to score from a mile out. Again, against friends I think it was really fun...in a sort of mindless way. I can't stand FIFA but the writing was on the wall at this point. The gap in presentation was never bigger around that 2007-2010 period. PES looked so amateurish by comparison.

For me 5 really does get the balance of everything right, that's why I always go back to it. The only thing I would change about 5 is some of the presentation aspects. Games tend to look like they're played in bleak English winters, with no fans. I much preferred the slickness and "big match" feel that 2008 has. I've said in this thread before that 3 probably excels better than any title in that category though.

I only use this forum when I lapse back into my PS2 sessions so I have no idea how you lot play and on what devices etc.

Do you play each other line at all? Is it reliable? The PES news earlier this week honestly only made me more determined to never stop playing these games.

I only use this forum when I lapse back into my PS2 sessions so I have no idea how you lot play and on what devices etc.

Do you play each other line at all? Is it reliable? The PES news earlier this week honestly only made me more determined to never stop playing these games.
For certain patches @Ahg37 does try and implement online play for PES 6 patches and for the PES 5 Original season patch by @Fabri55 (which is amazing) @marqisspes6 has his online server which people do play on.

I remember when I played, it was reliable, maybe a slight lag that you could feel but that was only around kick off but not much other than that.

But many people here do play offline and discuss about what's going on with their master league's , their teams or different patches.
Or just moments which really tell how good AI were or how in depth the customization was in the Retro PES'

I know it's not RETRO-retro, but, now that PES is dead, I think anything pre-2020 is, right...

Saw a few messages in here today about 2015. Plus a tweet about it that said, "we were happy and we didn't know we were happy".

Then, this clip:

Now I'm thinking, I might have to get this. There's no clips of it on my YouTube account, other than online goals, so I don't think I played it a great deal.

Also, there was no option file sharing possible on the PS4 version. Which puts me off...

Anybody else played it lately?

I know it's not RETRO-retro, but, now that PES is dead, I think anything pre-2020 is, right...

Saw a few messages in here today about 2015. Plus a tweet about it that said, "we were happy and we didn't know we were happy".

Then, this clip:

Now I'm thinking, I might have to get this. There's no clips of it on my YouTube account, other than online goals, so I don't think I played it a great deal.

Also, there was no option file sharing possible on the PS4 version. Which puts me off...

I think i'll whack my PS4 on now and give it a go :LOL:

Then, this clip:

I haven't played it because my actual PC doesn't support these games, but played 2016 for about three years from its release which a bit similar to 2015. Did score such amazing goals in my Tottenham and Roma MLs.
I loved the AI, players making the run when needed, the build up from the defense is orgasmic, long passes from the defense to the attack were so satisfying (I had a lot of fun replicating the style of play of Morocco national team). The best part of it is when you get to score a free kick.
I didn't like only one small thing which is the huuuuge shorts....

Then, this clip:

A month or so ago for me ,still one of my favourite games (14-21).
CPU could be very tough on SS ,I played it on professional (TP is pretty good as well) and PAO the last time I booted it up.

Best shooting on a modern PES for me ,could be gaps in the mf ,and that's an exploit for sure ,but with some tactics setup it's a good game.

First PES (modern) that you could get fired on ,no option to turn it off either ,not like 19/20/21 with classic/challenge mode for ML.

Hurts my eyes when playing it though ,maybe go 1080 while playing?

@Chris Davies i played a couple of games of PES 2015 last night.

Top Player, FUMA

Pros

It feels like there is a sense of freedom on the pitch.

Player collisions are good and they can get out muscled.

I love the way players have to control the ball which leads to errors on both sides and a sense of anything can happen

Shooting feels good, not every shot is through the laces.

Cons

Your players can be static at times.

CPU attacked quite a bit through the middle but it could be my set up.

I could not work out how operate the ATT/DEF level which makes me think it does not exist.

The CPU has phases where it passes round the back quite a bit. Which is ok at times but you get the sense that when it happens it’s like the game is following a script rather than playing according to the conditions of the match (if that makes sense).

Not many free kicks.

Overall i had some fun. Here is the last 60 mins of a match i played. I didn't realise that the PS4 hadn't recorded all the match so the goals are missed.

Please excuse the dodgy manual passing :LOL:

started ML with almeria on 2008, could not find an OF that i like/or that has enough infos on what they did, also too lazy to fiddle around with good ol afs explorer etc for some patches, so the teams C section stays empty, never put many buli teams on my ml's so i dont care really, ligue 1 and eredevisie are fully licensed so its alright

its 20 team leagues, including d2, so i put most the lower teams from NL and france, will be though to get promoted

Well, I've finally finished the 4th season of my PES2012 ML with Hjorwesland, I just wanna say thanks to everyone that liked the posts I've made a while back where I had pretty much given up on it due to the dissapointment by the end of season 3, I'd also like to thank @Madmac79 @ToZanarkand @*aLe @Flipper the Priest for their replies to that post, it motivated me to keep going, and it paid off.
It was a very odd ML in general, I picked Hjorwesland because they're the weakest team in the game, so it wasn't going to be easy, I've changed the difficulty, control and time settings many times, but it ended on Professional, 5min, FUMA, which are all the ideal settings in PES2012 to me, except the time, I prefer 10min, but switched to 5min because if I didn't then I would've never finished it, my attention span is too low to play so many matches and seasons unfortunately.
From the beggining I wanted the team to be very personal to me, so I made a new stadium, called Odense Park, since the team is from Denmark and Odense is the town where Hans Christian Andersen was born in, so it felt right.
I also changed the colors or the club from Red/Black/White to Wine/White, and the crest from an oval one to a standard circular one.
I chose to play on the PES League, with the fake Konami teams, and started in the D2, with the fake Konami teams aswell, since it felt fitting for the club I chose to play as.
My formation was almost always a 3-5-2 with 3 CBs, 2 DMFs, 2 Wingers, 1 CAM and 2 CFs. Possession style of play.

In my last post regarding this ML, which was a post venting about missing out on promotion on the last play of the last match, I genuinely wanted to stop there, but kept going into season 4, and the results were the best possible.
D2 League Champions and PES Cup Champions, a Double, I know it's the 2nd division of the league, but It still counts I guess.
The league was very rough, but thanks to me getting the hang of the defending, and also the fact that I was playing 5min matches, I didn't concede much, and therefore didn't lose much, only 2 defeats in the league, 16 wins and 16 draws gave me 64 points to finish in 1st place.
In the cup things were always more intense, since it was only a single match, no home and away matches, one slip and the dream is over, on two occasions it went to penalties, on the 1st round and in the SF, the youth GK Knudsen played on both of these matches due to being the only GK with decent arrows in them, he saved me on both occassions, and even went on to play the final due to Cjaestvela's injury just before it.
This final was the most important match in this ML, I was already the D2 Champion when playing this match, so this was my only focus, it was against Nitsaloskis, who were promoted alongside us, so they were strong.
Our main striker, Bjoerring, hadn't scored in a while, and of course he chose the final to go back to his scoring ways, 1x0, unfortunately corners in this game are worse than penalties, so they came back almost immediately, 1x1, but just before half-time Bjoerring once again scored to make it 2x1, and no goals came during the 2nd half, that was it.
So we got a 2nd tier title, and a 1st tier title, it took 4 seasons, but we finally won something, and we won it all this time.
It was great to see my captain Mungeroyer win a double for us in his last season before retirement, it would be a shame for him to retire with his hands empty, thankfully that didn't happen.
I also loved that my lineup in the final had 6 players that came from the youth team, it could've been more if Palmieri and Duffy didn't want to leave, thankfully the best one of them all stayed, Shimizu, and he was crucial.
Mungeroyer, Shimizu, Bjoerring... So many players that I've grown attached to with time, this ML finally made me understand the appeal of ML and why it's such a legendary mode, this felt special.
Suddently this club that was the worst of the worst is in the 1st division, receiving more sponsor deals than ever, with more healthy finances than ever, with a decent squad and a 1st tier title, it was very fulfilling to see.

I'm not sure if ML is really the mode for me, afterall it took me very long just to finish these 4 seasons, and in the end I had to change it to 5min, to me leagues are just too long so I get tired and even stressed very easily, I prefer just playing cups to be fair, but I'm glad I've got to finally experience a longer ML with actual closure for once, it's something you have to experience at least once.
I'll finish this ML here, on a high note, and go back to my good old Friendly and Cup modes that I'm more used to, however Hjorwesland and all of the players that were part of these 4 seasons will have a place in my heart forever from now on.

The last PS2 PES I played was 2010. What are the four games like after that? Looking at footage on YouTube they look exactly the same gameplay wise, so I’m guessing it’s just updated kits and players.

Do those versions still have Master League and are they any good? I imagine it’s very b

2010 was quite a bit of fun to play but had weird gameplay moments where it was obvious not much effort was put in.

started ML with almeria on 2008, could not find an OF that i like/or that has enough infos on what they did, also too lazy to fiddle around with good ol afs explorer etc for some patches, so the teams C section stays empty, never put many buli teams on my ml's so i dont care really, ligue 1 and eredevisie are fully licensed so its alright

its 20 team leagues, including d2, so i put most the lower teams from NL and france, will be though to get promoted
What version are you playing?

Back
Top Bottom