The Retro-PES Corner

:LOL: I feel pressure now. You know when you recommend a film and the person thinks it's :BLEH:
Downloaded your option file and managed to convert it to be compatible with PCSX2 - and added Tranmere of course. First game was in your honour!

It feels so much more "free" (after playing PES 5 for the last week or two) than I was expecting. Can't wait to get stuck in!

(And - of course - thank you SO MUCH for the incredible job you've done with the option file. People like you are the lifeblood of this place.)

Attachments

• 20210723_190807.jpg
    20210723_190807.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 39
Downloaded your option file and managed to convert it to be compatible with PCSX2 - and added Tranmere of course. First game was in your honour!

It feels so much more "free" (after playing PES 5 for the last week or two) than I was expecting. Can't wait to get stuck in!

(And - of course - thank you SO MUCH for the incredible job you've done with the option file. People like you are the lifeblood of this place.)

That’s great Chris! Thanks for the kind words :)

It really has only ever been a personal project for the last few years because i got fed up of trying to like the new PES and FIFA each year. But thought i would share it even though 2008 doesn't get much love (until now).

I love the fact that you did Tranmere and played them against Southend. :)

Another good option file which is more polished than mine is @Heisenberg ‘s one.

Thread 'PS2/PSP PES2008 OF CLASSIC LAZIALE 2.0'
https://evoweb.uk/threads/ps2-psp-pes2008-of-classic-laziale-2-0.83609/

@Pagi84 and @Madmac79 yes it really is. The good thing is that it is not a regular way that the CPU scores. Yes the CPU does pass it about sometimes but that is the most passes I have seen in the build up to a goal and it completely caught me by surprise. :)

Just counted and it's 16 passes and not tippy tappy ones.
I just played PES2008 :) Was great fun and I didn't play well. On top player difficulty and tried World Tour mode, which is a great simple idea sorely missing from PES now! I had to beat Bahrain by 2 goals and I was the team I support, Spurs :) I couldn't win by 2 and even lost 1 or 2 attempts. Great fun though and great AI.

F*ck now I wanna try it out on PCSX2 but I never figured out how that emulator works

Suddenly got very busy in here - wonder why that is! :LOL:

Fiorentina is a great club to play as, especially from that era ,I'm playing as them on my cm (FIFA 17)

I remember us playing Fiorentina in the Anglo-Italian cup in the 90's, if I remember right it ended 3-2 to them. They did look majestic in their purple kit. :))

So I've just played two matches of PES 6 (Original Season) and I still don't like this game very much. It's too fast and frantic for me. Back to PES 5!

Don't forget you can drop the value in Speeder.cfg in the kitserver folder (perhaps try 0.92 to 0.95)

Hi guys, after the sad news this week I decided to reinstall PES5 on my PC again and the original season patch. Everything looks fine but my game is stuttering as hell. Maybe someone had the same problem and could fix it?
See here https://evoweb.uk/threads/pes-6-pes-5-we9-le-all-stuttering.76597/post-3640908

I have a slight stutter and I think that's just how it is (but my PC isn't amazing).

See here https://evoweb.uk/threads/pes-6-pes-5-we9-le-all-stuttering.76597/post-3640908

Thank you man. You gotta come give it a little visit sometime

Funny story about Morocco. My sister went there on holiday in the 90's with her husband. They went to this market in a small town and a man offered my brother-in-law a goat for her. I'm not sure if he still regrets saying no or not. :LOL:

I'm going to try out the PES 6 Original Season patch. Is it safe to download and install?

I'm asking because I haven't been here for that long so I don't really know if it's trustworthy.

For all the things I read you saying I suppose it's safe but I still want to ask just in case.

As has been said they are all safe from Sany. Some Anti-virus pick up false negatives - there's a file called keybind.exe in kitserver which is sometimes picked up and the internal modifier as mentioned.

Hell yeah! The Japanese one? I hate being a PES snob but there's a difference!

Would love to give that one a try but for my f*&^&^$ graphics card. Laptop isn't good enough to run PES/WE on PCSX unfortunately.

I remember us playing Fiorentina in the Anglo-Italian cup in the 90's, if I remember right it ended 3-2 to them. They did look majestic in their purple kit. :))
Lovely kits.
I think each neighborhood/part of Florence is represented by a colour ,or uses a colour.
And Fiorentina uses those colours in their kits ,purple/green/red/white

Those neighborhood squares off in a "friendly" tournament of "football" every year called Calcio storico (historic football)
There's a longer documentary that's really good on YT somewhere.

How was fratton park back then?
I remember seeing games on the telly mid/late 90s since you had a Swedish player back then , remember it looked very dynamic ,not having covered ends right?

Funny story about Morocco. My sister went there on holiday in the 90's with her husband. They went to this market in a small town and a man offered my brother-in-law a goat for her. I'm not sure if he still regrets saying no or not. :LOL:
I always hear stories about people being offered something when they come to Morocco, also I often hear people talking about high prices for mats in Marrakesh haha.
Well, I don't know if he should have regretted that. People from small villages tend to invite visitors to have a dinner or even offering them goats like you said or sheep is like a ritual when visitors come, it is sort of a generosity which Moroccans are known for towards foreigners

Very off topic (sorry guys..but we're fucking rebels in here right?)

I've had it before but tonight my gf made shakshuka ,and that should be from your part of the world right?
@The Moroccan

Very off topic (sorry guys..but we're fucking rebels in here right?)

I've had it before but tonight my gf made shakshuka ,and that should be from your part of the world right?
@The Moroccan
We can go off topic since PES is dead now lol (Moderators, don't take me seriously haha)
It is but it does belong to Tunisia. We call it Taktuka and is a little different from the ones you can find on Google (No eggs in)

Downloaded your option file and managed to convert it to be compatible with PCSX2
Any chance you could explain how it's done?
I haven't played PES 2008 much on PS2 apart from the matches I had at a friend of mine (never had a PS2 myself), but I'm willing to try.

Other question for y'all: I seem to understand that the OF made by @geeeeee is a 20/21 one. Is there also any 2007/08 OF around?
Thank you!

We can go off topic since PES is dead now lol (Moderators, don't take me seriously haha)
It is but it does belong to Tunisia. We call it Taktuka and is a little different from the ones you can find on Google (No eggs in)
Aha without the eggs?
We often eat Moroccan/Tunisian/Egyptian all the way to Arabic food.
Especially since I ditched meat ,so much good food from your part (and the middle East) of the world

Aha without the eggs?
We often eat Moroccan/Tunisian/Egyptian all the way to Arabic food.
Especially since I ditched meat ,so much good food from your part (and the middle East) of the world
Yes, without eggs, eggs aren't a mandatory thing in the Moroccan dishes. It has a lot of similarities to Algerian and Tunisian cuisines of course but IF there are any differences they are very big differences.
Anyway, if you don't already know since you ditched meat, meat and chicken are the two principle meals across the MENA area.
I have a feeling we will be punished by staff members at some point haha

Yes, without eggs, eggs aren't a mandatory thing in the Moroccan dishes. It has a lot of similarities to Algerian and Tunisian cuisines of course but IF there are any differences they are very big differences.
Anyway, if you don't already know since you ditched meat, meat and chicken are the two principle meals across the MENA area.
I have a feeling we will be punished by staff members at some point haha
Ha ha yeah we will.
There's so many alt to protein (meat) that is used so it's quite easy to switch
Eggs/salami/prosciutto (obviously meat) that's still the n my diet ,just not "meat" meat (steaks and shit).

I'll pester you for recipes in the future buddy:)

How was fratton park back then?
I remember seeing games on the telly mid/late 90s since you had a Swedish player back then , remember it looked very dynamic ,not having covered ends right?

Wow, just found a bit of it on you tube, 2 of the Fiorentina goals anyway. English commentary on it, must have been on highlights or something it certainly wasn't live. I was to the right side of the end they scored at, pictures way too blurry to spot though. The top half of the stand was shut for years as it wasn't safe before a new one was finally built in 98.

Ah yes Mathias Svensson. Really liked him, he did well for us. Got him from Elfsborg.

His best day and a great away day, just remembered how bad the pitch at Elland Road was too

Wow, just found a bit of it on you tube, 2 of the Fiorentina goals anyway. English commentary on it, must have been on highlights or something it certainly wasn't live. I was to the right side of the end they scored at, pictures way too blurry to spot though. The top half of the stand was shut for years as it wasn't safe before a new one was finally built in 98.

Ah yes Mathias Svensson. Really liked him, he did well for us. Got him from Elfsborg.

His best day and a great away day, just remembered how bad the pitch at Elland Road was too

Aah lovely pitch:)
That's something for the modders in here to take a crack at.

That's the Fratton End they're scoring on right (Fiorentina)
Always loved your ground.
Remember having it in PES 2011 in some stadium pack ,with the new roof (opposite Fratton end).
Think my first career on Fifa 16 was Pompey too , obviously "promoted" them to the Championship before starting.

I'll pester you for recipes in the future buddy:)
Just pester me haha I'm a food freak 😂
Unless it's related to ham haha

I do remember this man, IIRC in my last year's FM07 Espanyol campaign got him, after one season he retired

I just played PES2008 :) Was great fun and I didn't play well. On top player difficulty and tried World Tour mode, which is a great simple idea sorely missing from PES now! I had to beat Bahrain by 2 goals and I was the team I support, Spurs :) I couldn't win by 2 and even lost 1 or 2 attempts. Great fun though and great AI.

Yeh the World Tour mode is excellent and I love the different scenarios that you are given. I think there is one where you have to win but also have 10 or more shots with more than 60% on target.

It’s good to see another Spurs fan in here :)

I forgot to mention to yourself and @Chris Davies that I find the game plays better at a slower pace. So I globally adjust Top Speed, Acceleration, and Dribble Speed by -15 and Long Pass Speed and Short Pass Speed by -10. If you are using my option file then it is already adjusted. ;)

hat's something for the modders in here to take a crack at.

That's the Fratton End they're scoring on right (Fiorentina)

Yeah that would be great if they could do pitches like that and the ball was actually affected by it as well. Imagine a winter's relegation battle on a pitch like that, brilliant fun.

Yep Fratton End. I think that tournament ran for a few years in the 90's, I might be wrong but I think it was against Serie B (were Fiorentina in B back then?) Could be wrong but I think it was B as it the Championship teams that were in it, so it would make sense being Div 2 v Div 2. I think it depended where you finished whether you were in it as I'm sure one year or more we weren't in it. I remember we played Fiorentina, Bari, Ascoli, Cremonese and I think one or two more over 2 or 3 seasons. Might have been Empoli but maybe not. I don't think we ever got out of the group stage, not surprising as we were usually kicking around the bottom of the championship from the year after that Fiorentina game

@The Moroccan He'd probably have been mid 30's by then I guess. We sold him to Charlton I think. He played up front with John Aloisi for a while who also ended up in Spain.

@mattmid most likely in Serie B in that period.
Brilliant tournament.
We use to have a thing called Royal league mid 2000 ,think top 4 teams in Sweden/Norway/Denmark played each other in some group stage and then semi/finals.
All during our (and Norway's) off season ,Denmark just had a very long break between Nov/Dec -march.
We play March - November here.

Anyway ,always got FC Copenhagen/Brøndby for away trips in December/January ,great fun

@rockstrongo Always wondered why Denmark's season is split that way, surely it makes more sense to split the season the other way, so that the early part of the year is the first part of the season not the second? Seems weird having a short break between seasons and a four month break in the middle rather than the other way around like you guys and Norway/Finland do.

@rockstrongo Always wondered why Denmark's season is split that way, surely it makes more sense to split the season the other way, so that the early part of the year is the first part of the season not the second? Seems weird having a short break between seasons and a four month break in the middle rather than the other way around like you guys and Norway/Finland do.
I think it's down to the fact that they think it's better for teams playing Europe I guess.

For the very southern parts of Sweden we could most likely play August - may and mid section here three teams (us including) has a roof that slides on making it an indoor stadium if wanted.
But teams around the mid part and northern Sweden it's tough.
I remember playing Östersund in april and that was a snow game one year.
Also tradition playing March/April - November.

Yeah Denmark's break is smack in between two parts of the season first part August - Nov/Dec and march -may second.
Wouldn't be surprised if that break is shortened to be more competitive in europe

Promise mate!
It's haram here too:)
Promise!
@The Moroccan He'd probably have been mid 30's by then I guess. We sold him to Charlton I think. He played up front with John Aloisi for a while who also ended up in Spain.
According to wikipedia you're right, I used it as a back up, did score some goals but wasn't to effective

For the record though, I did a little investigation about the ML team squad (Ivarov, Castolo, etc..) using FM07 and I think I've came up with a discovery (unless someone found it before me, I think @vialli82 referred to that in the fake names thread). My theory sayd that these players were based on real ones
Ivarov - Ivanov
Libermann - Lindemann
Zamenhoff - Zewlakow
Giersen - (Gommesen, Gersel, Geisler?)
Burchet - (Butler, Butters?)
Hamsun - (Gotta be a Hansen)
Huylens - Heerkens
Castolo is actually pretty hard
Ordaz - (Oscar, Ortiz?)

hi guys, so on pes 2008:

It was so bad on PC and PS3

i never felt it was bad, all i remember is enjoying it online when it worked, it had some cpu compatibility/matching issues online and playerbase went down fast and so i too quit the game and never played it again, even offline, because the long shorts "baggy" issue was just so insane and goofy to (immature) past me

now after the euro and in await of the new club season i got the pes fever again and gave it a go, it is the only title i did not revisit up to now, last time it were 09 and 10 and while good at first the issues were very severe, 09 had the keepers blocking shots to the centre for easy tap ins too often and 010 had the cpu tackle slide issue not properly working if i remember correctly resulting in frustration.
i played a couple matches now and really liking it, it does not have these issues and plays fine, here some first impressions:

+ good keepers (so far)
+ good ref, solid amount of fouls AND cards (unlike PES4 and 5)
+ letting the ball through and run, taken over from pes6, important for me
+ ball physix less "magnetic" for lack of a better term, more free compared to 09
+ players taking the ball do not have this weird slight frozen stance as on 010, again more free and fluid
+ most animations have proper build up, example a CB getting the ball and then making a pass, not just passing it its the full get body position right and swing in there, in general game feels grounded and smooth
+ select attacking players for corners
+ fast transition in between scenes (with the logo), and w/o the logo example throw-ins its a smooth fade out/in no black screen

and most important: team and player ID is extremely good, 09 had some of it still in there, not 010, feels like a pes 4 and 3 mix, 06 was too repetitive i would put this above it
so yeah give it a go everyone, i remember someone posting similar thing on here (for the next gen version), so this is just further confirmation, i never played the ps2 version so thats that, but compared to other next gen titles of the time it holds up very well

Last edited:
hi guys, so on pes 2008:

i never felt it was bad, all i remember is enjoying it online when it worked, it had some cpu compatibility/matching issues online and playerbase went down fast and so i too quit the game and never played it again, even offline, because the long shorts "baggy" issue was just so insane and goofy to (immature) past me

now after the euro and in await of the new club season i got the pes fever again and gave it a go, it is the only title i did not revisit up to now, last time it were 09 and 10 and while good at first the issues were very severe, 09 had the keepers blocking shots to the centre for easy tap ins too often and 010 had the cpu tackle slide issue not properly working if i remember correctly resulting in frustration, i played a couple matches now and really liking it it does have these issues and plays fine, here some first impressions:

+ good keepers (so far)
+ ball physix less "magnetic" for lack of a better term, more free compared to 09
+ players taking the ball do not have this weird slight frozen stance as on 010, again more free and fluid
+ most animations have proper build up, example a CB getting the ball and then making a pass, not just passing it its the full get body position right and swing in there, in general game feels grounded and smooth
+ fast transition in between scenes (with the logo), and w/o the logo example throw-ins its a smooth fade out/in no black screen

and most important: team and player ID is extremely good, 09 had some of it still in there, not 010, feels like a pes 4 and 3 mix, 06 was too repetitive i would put this above it
so yeah give it a go everyone, i remember someone posting similar thing on here (for the next gen version), so this is just further confirmation, i never played the ps2 version so thats that, but compared to other next gen titles of the time it holds up very well
I also feel the same. Pes 2008 on next gen wasn't a problem to me. It seemed more like a graphically improved PES 6 with better refereeing. I loved the gameplay, free kick mechanics. I just don't agree on one point: the ball physics, they were too over powered.
Unfortunately, I lost the game long time ago although in fact, I have downloaded some kit templates and boots to start a patch
I don't want to download it from dodgy sites, I need to ask @Camaldinho for that.
Cam, can you assist us (at least me for the moment) with a link for PES 2008 if you have any ?

Note: I think the issue with pes 2008 is that it didn't deliver what the community wanted but it wasn't bad at all for me

finished reading the posts and catching up since last visit..

@krangledangle

Hi all, first-time poster here. I grew up with PES 4, 5 and 6 (though I probably spent the most time with 2008 on the PS2... haha). I've just finished playing some matches with Winning Eleven 9 Liveware Evolution Geezer 2005-06 (the auto-installer was terrific) but I'm unable to get the D3DOverrider to open up in Windows 10. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can fix this?

use dx8to9 wrapper, i use the one by enbdev (enb series) and force the vsync via grafix driver

more positive impressions on 08:
- stamina level seems to be balanced, there is a need to change players, cant remember which title but this is not always the case
- pace of the game feels good and rather on the slow side, tv1 and wide cam on 10 min
- super cancel works good, had a nice move with pedersen/blackburn on the left teasing the sideback and then cutting inside making the move after waiting for him to take the bait, looked real life, there is no glitch or skip when doing this, smooth

Last edited:
hi guys, so on pes 2008:

now after the euro and in await of the new club season i got the pes fever again and gave it a go, it is the only title i did not revisit up to now, last time it were 09 and 10 and while good at first the issues were very severe, 09 had the keepers blocking shots to the centre for easy tap ins too often and 010 had the cpu tackle slide issue not properly working if i remember correctly resulting in frustration.
i played a couple matches now and really liking it, it does not have these issues and plays fine, here some first impressions:

+ good keepers (so far)

I also feel the same. Pes 2008 on next gen wasn't a problem to me. It seemed more like a graphically improved PES 6 with better refereeing. I loved the gameplay, free kick mechanics. I just don't agree on one point: the ball physics, they were too over powered.
Unfortunately, I lost the game long time ago although in fact, I have downloaded some kit templates and boots to start a patch
I don't want to download it from dodgy sites, I need to ask @Camaldinho for that.
Cam, can you assist us (at least me for the moment) with a link for PES 2008 if you have any ?

Note: I think the issue with pes 2008 is that it didn't deliver what the community wanted but it wasn't bad at all for me

@cosmo & @The Moroccan i actually feel a bit silly now because i just wrote that based on what the vast majority of people have said about the game and i haven't actually played it myself. Fake news i guess. :LOL:

I even remember @MafiaMurderBag doing a video series on PES2008 PC and it looked quite good to me.

Certainly the expectations were high and because it didn't reach those standards it got a lot of criticism. I wonder how people would feel about it now if they went back to it.

Has anyone given the PS3 version a go?

I've said it many times, but I honestly don't think PES 2008 is that bad. I enjoyed it at the time of release (granted, I didn't play a lot of it) and as recently as a year ago. It feels like a variant of PES 6 so from my eyes, that's fine. Now, in the context of where PES and FIFA were at the time, was it disappointing? I'd say so, yes. FIFA 08 had just dropped and it was an impressive glimpse into the future of the series (FIFA 09) and PES fans expected more from the Xbox 360/PS3 versions. In isolation, it's fine.

Hell yeah! The Japanese one? I hate being a PES snob but there's a difference!

I still have my Winning Eleven 6, 7, and 8 International discs around here somewhere. WE/PES back then was a nightmare for me because the aforementioned titles released in the spring in NA! WE:6 was released in March. Season's nearly over by then! Complete bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom