The Retro-PES Corner

Any chance you could explain how it's done?
I haven't played PES 2008 much on PS2 apart from the matches I had at a friend of mine (never had a PS2 myself), but I'm willing to try.
It would be easier if I just uploaded the PCSX2 memory card file that the converter made (it's a bit of a long-winded process and involves downloading tools, a DLL and a command prompt).

@geeeeee - would you mind if I uploaded it for @*aLe?

I even remember @MafiaMurderBag doing a video series on PES2008 PC and it looked quite good to me.

Certainly the expectations were high and because it didn't reach those standards it got a lot of criticism. I wonder how people would feel about it now if they went back to it.

Has anyone given the PS3 version a go?
Yeah it's not an unplayable abomination people loved to make it out to be, but rather the PS3 & 360 versions suffer from poor framerate and low resolution for a HD title. The PC version is the best version of this incarnation of PES 2008 due to the performance and playing at 1080p or even 4K and it looks utterly gorgeous.

I've been playing a lot of it recently to get footage for my next History of PES Episode and I realised it's very much like a HD PES 6, It's still brilliant classic PES in many ways. My major flaw with it is the player positioning is utterly screwed up though, you'll notice defenders literally run around like headless chickens, losing their shape and some of the attacking runs are infuriatingly dumb too.

But other than that still an interesting game and very tolerable in small doses.

Am I the only "minor" here that enjoys playing Retro PES? Have been a silent reader (from what I can remember, I never really post anything, prolly just once or twice) of this thread for like 2-3 years, usually play older releases like PES 2017 which I enjoyed the most, I do play 2000s ones as well but never really getting into it, but this time I guess I can with PES 5 PC, I felt like this is the best PES 2000s PC that I have ever tried, like trying to dribble with it, passing, everything doesn't feel outdated really, prolly the graphics is on the lower sides compared with current Football Game of course since it's 10+ years of differences but I can bear with it since the mechanism overall does feel good. Just played one game of El Clasico, used Real Madrid and lost 2-1 but still I don't feel any shit like it being scripted or anything whatsoever, it just feels fair, the game overall feels fun with 15 minutes of time, Casillas doing magic saves, Ronaldinho with his solo dribble going past our defences, Zidane carrying the attack, dribbling using him going past players, his passing, it feels fun, and he gives me hope by scoring a goal straight from the kick off after I conceded a goal to make it 2-1, but in the end we lost after all. Overall It feels fun going past era playing with all these legends that I only have seen a few of their clips from Social Media, and gameplay wise there's everything like midfield battle, toughness of Barcelona defence, individual brilliance of players like Ronaldinho and Zidane, etc.

Probably going start a Master League soon, any tips and tricks to enjoy this game more would be appreciated, like any certain commands to do certain thing on gameplay, or something to increase the graphics, anything. Thankyou for reading my thoughts and story up till this point, pardon me If my English is on the bad side, English isn't my native language.

Am I the only "minor" here that enjoys playing Retro PES?
No I'm here too
I felt like this is the best PES 2000s PC that I have ever tried, like trying to dribble with it, passing, everything doesn't feel outdated really, prolly the graphics is on the lower sides compared with current Football Game of course since it's 10+ years of differences but I can bear with it since the mechanism overall does feel good.
I agree, the graphics obviously don't compare to nowadays games, but the overall gameplay and the AI and how it moves is as good as it could be with current tech (but current tech never got used to it's potential in football games) or even better
gameplay wise there's everything like midfield battle, toughness of Barcelona defence, individual brilliance of players like Ronaldinho and Zidane, etc.
That's probably the most fun thing about the game, Midfield battle (I'm a sucker for Midfield battles and analyzing the midfield like insane :D ) and yeah Player Individuality is also amazing, it's still there in today's PES (PES 21) , but it's not noticeable as in the older games, on the other hand talking about Pes... it doesn't exist anymore.

Question re: PES 5 Master League.

If for example a player is strictly a CM and AM but I keep playing him as a DMF, will he adjust to that position eventually and ‘unlock’ that position, if that makes sense?

No I'm here too
That's good to see

I agree, the graphics obviously don't compare to nowadays games, but the overall gameplay and the AI and how it moves is as good as it could be with current tech (but current tech never got used to it's potential in football games) or even better

That's probably the most fun thing about the game, Midfield battle (I'm a sucker for Midfield battles and analyzing the midfield like insane :D ) and yeah Player Individuality is also amazing, it's still there in today's PES (PES 21) , but it's not noticeable as in the older games
Yeah the graphics is on the lower side but at least it's bearable, and considering we get those amazing mechanism as a trade off, it's worth it.
on the other hand talking about Pes... it doesn't exist anymore.
:(( , I would really like to see those in depth features, mechanism, and everything being put inside a game using Unreal Engine, it would be awesome to see and play with.

If for example a player is strictly a CM and AM but I keep playing him as a DMF, will he adjust to that position eventually and ‘unlock’ that position, if that makes sense?
No he won't, but you can go to edit mode and assign him to that position.

He will adapt to a part Teamwork wise, but if he doesn't have the position, he will always have an invisible "penalty"

Well player positions is one of my biggest gripes, that can kill a retro ML save for me, since I use a very specific formation in most PES games, rendering players "unusable".

For PS2 part, don't remember all MLS right now, but in PES6 and I think PES5, you just go back to edit mode, edit your players playable positions and you are ready to go.

Then they did positions to softlock, so starting a ML will not allow to edit positions, you had to go edit mode, and then restart your save.

Then came the golden ML era, and in PES2010 and PES2011 you could assign your player to learn a new position, being like a lifesaver feature. Especially if you had the most expensive coaching staff, assigned all training points in position training, could award your player the new position in 24+ weeks in 2010 and 40+something weeks in 2011.

Then 2012 changed it as usual, through the team communications chat, you had to play the player in the new position, and reply him through team chat, that you want him to adapt to new position. The time line on when he would adapt was invisible though.

2013 had scrapped team chat, but IIRC by the weird training system with items and PES-GP points, you could assign your player new positions and special skill cards.

After came 2014, which scrapped everything creating a wasteland in ML content and on 2015 & 2016 it seems impossible to have a player adapt into new positions. Only way is to edit player, then restart ML.

On 2017 they brought back the position adapting, although you could not check how and when it will take to learn a new position.

From 2018 to today, after each time a player tries an unknown position, there is a visible exp. system, showing how much experience gauge has your player in each position. It takes almost 1 season and a half, in order a player to adapt from C to B position affinity.

IMHO the today's system is decent enough, but if it could be combined with the 2010 & 2011 training system, it would be the best possible for a PES footy. It would be better cause now you have to play the player in the false position, damaging your Team Spirit, while with the old system, you could just let him out of the main roster, until he is "ready", adapts to new position, and by outplaying him, could just accelerate the weeks needed by the trainer, to teach him the new position.

No he won't, but you can go to edit mode and assign him to that position.

He will adapt to a part Teamwork wise, but if he doesn't have the position, he will always have an invisible "penalty"

Yes @Mikhail I think that is one way of making 'training' slightly deeper. You could play the player in the new position for maybe 20 games or more and then add the new position in edit mode as @slamsoze says. Or when you do Individual Training, you could focus on a particular attribute for that is key to that new position and then add that position once that attribute becomes high enough.

For example maybe you have a CM that you want to convert to a DM. His Defence attribute is only 60, so you individually train him until his Defence reaches 70 which is a good number for a DM. Then you add that position.

Really good ideas that I might even try myself. :)

I still have my Winning Eleven 6, 7, and 8 International discs around here somewhere. WE/PES back then was a nightmare for me because the aforementioned titles released in the spring in NA! WE:6 was released in March. Season's nearly over by then! Complete bullshit.

As far as I know (from the PCSX2 wiki, I can't find anything to challenge the info), the US WE7I (by and large WE7) and the Japanese WE7I (with additional features and gameplay tweaks) came out days apart in February 2004. You could've waited two days to buy the new and improved version on import, which has an English language option straight out of the box. A real curiosity in a franchise that's addled with them.

Yeah it's not an unplayable abomination people loved to make it out to be, but rather the PS3 & 360 versions suffer from poor framerate and low resolution for a HD title.

Agreed. I cane it left, right, and centre but I only ever played it on PS3. Even then, when I went back to it more recently, it doesn't play that badly as I thought even if it looks awful. For me it was more the let down of the time amplifying the disappointment, which it still does even today.

Yes @Mikhail I think that is one way of making 'training' slightly deeper. You could play the player in the new position for maybe 20 games or more and then add the new position in edit mode as @slamsoze says. Or when you do Individual Training, you could focus on a particular attribute for that is key to that new position and then add that position once that attribute becomes high enough.

For example maybe you have a CM that you want to convert to a DM. His Defence attribute is only 60, so you individually train him until his Defence reaches 70 which is a good number for a DM. Then you add that position.

Really good ideas that I might even try myself. :)
Thanks mate! I am trying to convert Michael Carrick to a DM. In PES 5 he's a CM and bizarrely also an AM (maybe Carrick played that role at Spurs? I can't remember).

It amazes me how in depth tactics were on older PES games, you could basically edit anything you want from the formation, tactics, even customizes each players one by one, the instructions, everything.

If older PES games were able to do these, then why can't the newer one do so? There's no need for them to innovate anything new, just import all these old features to the newer games.

Agreed. I cane it left, right, and centre but I only ever played it on PS3. Even then, when I went back to it more recently, it doesn't play that badly as I thought even if it looks awful. For me it was more the let down of the time amplifying the disappointment, which it still does even today.
Yeah exactly, At the time the series needed to evolve and outgrow it's PS2 influence while FIFA was running away with the refreshing and revolutionary approach to football games. PES was stuck in the past for four years on next gen and suffered for it.

Now when there's a new found appreciation for how the PES games got the most out of limited engines we can appreciate PES 2008 from a different perspective and it's certainly playable. But the console ports certainly didn't do it's impression any favours at all.

Burchet - (Butler, Butters?)

Don't think it would be Butters, he was a big, slow, centre back. Played for us for years, not a bad player but in a race with Burchet he'd be 1 second behind after 2 seconds :D

@cosmo & @The Moroccan i actually feel a bit silly now because i just wrote that based on what the vast majority of people have said about the game and i haven't actually played it myself. Fake news i guess. :LOL:

I even remember @MafiaMurderBag doing a video series on PES2008 PC and it looked quite good to me.

Certainly the expectations were high and because it didn't reach those standards it got a lot of criticism. I wonder how people would feel about it now if they went back to it.

At the time after the enjoyment for me at least of 6 it just felt awful in comparison. I didn't like the change in player models, they seemed rigid and I hated the menu page so much, just feels claustrophobic the way you can only see a tiny bit of it at a time.

I did try it again last year and I still couldn't take to it. I played 2-3 games and just uninstalled it again. I didn't mind PES 9, I remember playing a fair bit of Become A Legend on that one, wouldn't mind giving it another go but for the life of me I can't find my cd of it.

If older PES games were able to do these, then why can't the newer one do so? There's no need for them to innovate anything new, just import all these old features to the newer games.

If you look at the later versions they did bring some of them back as 'new' features!

If they'd just built on the base they had from 3-6 I can only wonder how good it could have been now.

Yeah it's not an unplayable abomination people loved to make it out to be, but rather the PS3 & 360 versions suffer from poor framerate and low resolution for a HD title. The PC version is the best version of this incarnation of PES 2008 due to the performance and playing at 1080p or even 4K and it looks utterly gorgeous.

I've been playing a lot of it recently to get footage for my next History of PES Episode and I realised it's very much like a HD PES 6, It's still brilliant classic PES in many ways. My major flaw with it is the player positioning is utterly screwed up though, you'll notice defenders literally run around like headless chickens, losing their shape and some of the attacking runs are infuriatingly dumb too.

But other than that still an interesting game and very tolerable in small doses.
Yes positioning was one of my biggest WTF!! aside with bad footplanting/ice skating, which was camouflaged better at least when you played in HIGH detail settings on PC. But i remember how much i hated , when multiple times i saw my RB being in LMF position and cutting inside as a Second Striker. IIRC this kept up until PES 2010.

Am I the only "minor" here that enjoys playing Retro PES? Have been a silent reader (from what I can remember, I never really post anything, prolly just once or twice) of this thread for like 2-3 years, usually play older releases like PES 2017 which I enjoyed the most, I do play 2000s ones as well but never really getting into it, but this time I guess I can with PES 5 PC, I felt like this is the best PES 2000s PC that I have ever tried, like trying to dribble with it, passing, everything doesn't feel outdated really, prolly the graphics is on the lower sides compared with current Football Game of course since it's 10+ years of differences but I can bear with it since the mechanism overall does feel good. Just played one game of El Clasico, used Real Madrid and lost 2-1 but still I don't feel any shit like it being scripted or anything whatsoever, it just feels fair, the game overall feels fun with 15 minutes of time, Casillas doing magic saves, Ronaldinho with his solo dribble going past our defences, Zidane carrying the attack, dribbling using him going past players, his passing, it feels fun, and he gives me hope by scoring a goal straight from the kick off after I conceded a goal to make it 2-1, but in the end we lost after all. Overall It feels fun going past era playing with all these legends that I only have seen a few of their clips from Social Media, and gameplay wise there's everything like midfield battle, toughness of Barcelona defence, individual brilliance of players like Ronaldinho and Zidane, etc.

Probably going start a Master League soon, any tips and tricks to enjoy this game more would be appreciated, like any certain commands to do certain thing on gameplay, or something to increase the graphics, anything. Thankyou for reading my thoughts and story up till this point, pardon me If my English is on the bad side, English isn't my native language.
Nah mate you ain't alone, the funny thing is @Chris Davies's account is older than me lmfao

I must join the "in hindsight Pes 2008 next gen wasn't all that much war crime" bandwagon too. For when it came out.. sure, a motivated let down. But playing it today, with kitserver hi res and a less demanding attitude it has his moments.. a nice slow rythm, an interesting CPU and overall it doesn't even look that bad. Far from the best of that era but imo it's worth to pick it up again. I'd even be tempted to redo a ML in the future, I remember that to me the experience with the defaults was was very funny and challenging even at the times.

I was just thinking about PES 2008. I think it might have started Retro PES for me. I don't recall going back to the previous version to play it before that time.

Far from the best of that era but imo it's worth to pick it up again.
Not the best PES of the era (in which case, what do you think is)? Or not the best football game of the era (I know FIFA was far more technically demanding)?

Thanks mate! I am trying to convert Michael Carrick to a DM. In PES 5 he's a CM and bizarrely also an AM (maybe Carrick played that role at Spurs? I can't remember).

No worries mate. Yes he should be a DM rather than an AM.

Thanks all, for your feedback regarding PES 2008 PS3 version, i will probably give it a miss because it will just start a whole new editing life for me and I don't have the time to start again especially as i know basically nothing about editing PS3 PES'

@mattmid I liked PES 2009 too on the PS3. It was the first time that I actually bought the Piggy Back Guide and it really really helped and it was so satisfying to see my training in practice really paying off in my ML.

I also liked the transfer system with the level meter that swung round when you put an offer in for someone.

Not the best PES of the era (in which case, what do you think is)? Or not the best football game of the era (I know FIFA was far more technically demanding)?
Ah sorry, I should have been a bit more precise. I meant 2008 would not be the best Pes in the 2008-2013 era. Probably Fifa was also better at the time even if the legendary 2008 is the only one I've never even touched, but the consesus about it is so large I'd go with it.

Best Pes from that specific timeframe, hard to choice, but mitigating my personal tastes and some objectivity I'd stick with one between 11 and 12.

I must join the "in hindsight Pes 2008 next gen wasn't all that much war crime" bandwagon too. For when it came out.. sure, a motivated let down. But playing it today, with kitserver hi res and a less demanding attitude it has his moments.. a nice slow rythm, an interesting CPU and overall it doesn't even look that bad. Far from the best of that era but imo it's worth to pick it up again. I'd even be tempted to redo a ML in the future, I remember that to me the experience with the defaults was was very funny and challenging even at the times.
True, PEs2008 ML has some interesting concepts, that reputation/fame checker?, seperating rookies from word class players, was very well implemented.

@cosmo & @The Moroccan i actually feel a bit silly now because i just wrote that based on what the vast majority of people have said about the game and i haven't actually played it myself. Fake news i guess. :LOL:

Has anyone given the PS3 version a go?
Surely, and because I was too young then to have any expectations from PES 2008 I was surprised for the HD textures and stuff, yes the gameplay and AI had his downwards but did not feel any bad at all.
I have played it on PC, and I can remember that I've played it on PS3 but not sure if it was mine or my friend's

It amazes me how in depth tactics were on older PES games, you could basically edit anything you want from the formation, tactics, even customizes each players one by one, the instructions, everything.

Forgive me mods, but I must know.

Is your name a reference to the popular
hentai
website?

And I agree.

Don't think it would be Butters, he was a big, slow, centre back. Played for us for years, not a bad player but in a race with Burchet he'd be 1 second behind after 2 seconds :D
Ah so you mean Guy Butters? Just did a little research and found out he used to play for Spurs. Well, I'm not talking about this Butters. I'm talking about the Australian Michael Butters, taking into consideration in 2006 he was 18 and he has the same nationality as his counterpart Burchet
At the time after the enjoyment for me at least of 6 it just felt awful in comparison. I didn't like the change in player models, they seemed rigid and I hated the menu page so much, just feels claustrophobic the way you can only see a tiny bit of it at a time.

I did try it again last year and I still couldn't take to it. I played 2-3 games and just uninstalled it again. I didn't mind PES 9, I remember playing a fair bit of Become A Legend on that one, wouldn't mind giving it another go but for the life of me I can't find my cd of it.
The menus were absolutely terrible, there is no denying that, the music was so bad "at least for me" did not feel the hype of earlier PESs. But in terms of gameplay and overall look of on the pitch, it was decent

Back
Top Bottom