The Retro-PES Corner

Always try lobbing with R1 (it's easier than an L1 lob) if you're not faking a shot when you're 1 on 1 with the keeper. It's very easy to score either way. The power bar should be 100% filled (or nearly so) in the first case.

That's my advice. With longer shots, find the sweet spot in the training mode.

Also, press the lob button three times for a low cross. You can create some good opportunities that way, including forcing the CPU to score an own goal. I abused this in PES 6 and it should work just as well in PES 5.
Thanks for the tips!

Can you give me some tips on shooting? I either hit a tame shot at GK or I balloon it way over! I’m playing on default controls.
PES 5's shooting is beautifully contextual. Set yourself before shooting. Watch the flight of the ball so as not to hit a pass or cross too early. Note if your player is left or right footed. R2 is your friend. Use it to get full control of the ball before shooting.

PES 5's shooting is beautifully contextual. Set yourself before shooting. Watch the flight of the ball so as not to hit a pass or cross too early. Note if your player is left or right footed. R2 is your friend. Use it to get full control of the ball before shooting.
Thanks mate!

I'm not sure where to post this exactly, since this is a general advice for pretty much every FOX Engine PES, so I think this is probably the best thread for it.

I think many would agree that in the higher difficulty settings the CPU plays in a much more cheap way, usually doing the same efficient plays perfectly over and over, regardless of the team you're up against, so every match feels very similar and frustrating, more end to end and robotic at times, so the best way to preserve team individuality and realism, to keep things as organic as possible, is sticking with the lower difficulty settings, like Regular and Professional.

One of the main issues with this is obvious, it can become too easy to win with time, so one of the solutions is to play in FUMA, to make up for that less challenging difficulty, that way you'll make more mistakes, missing goals and lose the ball more often. However with time a new problem might show up, you start getting used to FUMA, and the only solution seems to be going up to the higher settings that to many are not ideal.

I think I've found a solution, a surprisingly simple one too, all you have to do is change your camera.

This works especially well in the FOX Engine PES games, because they have customizable cameras, I admit it's not as customizable as I'd like, but those sliders in the Wide, Dynamic Wide and Stadium cameras are very useful. If you like playing in a low zoom, high height and low angle camera, like I usually do, then it doesn't take long to get the hang of FUMA, because it's very simple, you point in that direction and the ball goes there, however when we start adding in things like a lower height or a higher angle, it becomes a lot more difficult to pass and cross, but especially to shoot, so you'll go back to making more mistakes and missing more chances, even if you're used already to FUMA.

You have to relearn where to aim to get a certain result, and that takes time, it's almost like relearning FUMA all over again, with the main difference being that you already have an understanding on how it works, and practice. This works in general, any camera switch is going to have this effect, all that changes is how intense that effect is, depending on what camera you were playing on, and which one you switched to.

I know this might not be the perfect solution, but it's what I came up with, and it's working well enough on my end, I was playing with the standard Wide camera, with Zoom: 0, Height: 5 and Angle: 0, now I switched to Zoom: 2, Height: 2 and Angle: 0, a slider setting that PES2018 calls Pitchside, it reminds me of the camera with the same name on PES2012, which I loved playing in, I'm missing a lot more of my shots now and making more mistakes in passing too, so Professional it's challenging again, thankfully, no Top Player for me.

Can anyone help with a kitserver query for me?

Once you've selected a ball or a stadium yourself, it sticks with that selection all the time meaning you gave to change each time based on who you play with, what tournament, etc.

Is there a way of resetting it so Kitserver does all the hard work and goes for the assigned one for each team?

Can't seem to sort that no matter what old PES or WE game I play.

@matherto If you have a map.txt file in the gdb folders, for instance Stadiums, you can set it in there then in the pre match set it to Home stadium and it will play at the stadium set in the map for the home team, providing they are listed in your map text. So if you have Old Trafford set for Man Utd any time they are at home as long as it's set to Home stadium the game will load up Old Trafford as your match stadium.

With balls you can set in home_map.txt the ball by team. Think you set balls pre match to hmm, can't recall now, usually don't bother with that myself but it's similar either home or maybe default?

Hello can anyone redirect to a place where people discuss about pes 5 6 stats because I wanna ask why some players have so much attack points like Zidane has 92 for attack when he scored like 40 goals his whole career , I wanna ask some questions because I want to create my own patch with players rated by me . I want to know what is the logic behind these stats on pesstatsdatabase .

Last edited:
Hello can anyone redirect to a place where people discuss about pes 5 6 stats because I wanna ask why some players have so much attack points like Zidane has 92 for attack when he scored like 40 goals his whole career , I wanna ask some questions because I want to create my own patch with players rated by me . I want to know what is the logic behind these stats on pesstatsdatabase .

I'm not sure whether the explanations from the the official guides is anywhere online. I could post screenshots later. Anyway, the Attack stat by PES5 is about the player's ability to lose their marker. They admit that it became less important over the years as they added more attributes to the game.

I'm not sure whether the explanations from the the official guides is anywhere online. I could post screenshots later. Anyway, the Attack stat by PES5 is about the player's ability to lose their marker. They admit that it became less important over the years as they added more attributes to the game.
Yes I have read online that Attack also helps with playmaking BUT if I rate Zidane who is not a prolific scorer with 92 ATT POS then when he is not in possession of the ball he will be a prolific goal scorer ( I cross the ball to him , he gets in good position in the box boom ! goals after goals ) because he also has 81 shooting combined with 86 technique and over 80 heading ability basically he is better than Djib Cisse ( 78 shooting 85 attack ) who scored like 50 goals in 2 years for Auxerre . I have played a match against 90 positioning HAGI he score like in 10 second from start of game from inside the box like a ST . That s why I ask if anyone can explain or have tested for themselves in game these stats .

Last edited:
I have some silly questions.

I was playing PES3 and enjoying it, but felt like something was missing. Switched to PES5 and a lightbulb went off in my head - it was like I'd travelled back in time and I was "upgrading" from one to the other, and I was sat there going... "It's more responsive! The ML is better! The tactics are insanely deep! Konami, this is amazing!"

Really odd moment - I was honestly transported back to that moment when A) Konami never disappointed us, and B) I booted it up with my dad, and we were both just sat in awe, saying ridiculous things like (actual quote) "how could they possibly ever make a better game than this?" ...how right we were.

Even now, I'm looking at the tactical setup and I think to myself - it's just perfect. It's deep enough that your changes make a huge impact on positioning, but not so deep that you're looking at a page of tick-boxes for each player, having to change their weekly training and give up changing things after a few days.

Anyway.

I've recreated Gareth Southgate's 5-3-2 system for my starter ML team (Castolo's crew), because it's a terrible team but with decent wing-backs who will bomb forward if you edit the tactics to give them "forward arrows". Every game is a 0-0 (how realistic). But I'll take it.

In the tactics screen, there's a section that says "back line", "counter attack", "zone pressing" and "offside trap". Next to each of those is a letter selector - A/B/C, with A being "often" and C being "rarely".

What exactly is "back line"? Is it the height of the defensive line? Is that not controlled by your att/def level and your formation positions?

And while I'm here... Has anyone ever actually used this screen? I didn't use it back in the day, and I'm not using it now - should I be?

100622750.jpg

Yes I have read online that Attack also helps with playmaking BUT if I rate Zidane who is not a prolific scorer with 92 ATT POS then when he is not in possession of the ball he will be a prolific goal scorer ( I cross the ball to him , he gets in good position in the box boom ! goals after goals ) because he also has 81 shooting combined with 86 technique and over 80 heading ability basically he is better than Djib Cisse ( 78 shooting 85 attack ) who scored like 50 goals in 2 years for Auxerre . I have played a match against 90 positioning HAGI he score like in 10 second from start of game from inside the box like a ST . That s why I ask if anyone can explain or have tested for themselves in game these stats .

As @Flipper the Priest said it was supposedly not as all encompassing as it initially was. I still think it does equate to a kind of level of accomplishment in ATT or DEF because if you put them all up in the high 90's without touching any other stat there's a marked difference in how they play. It doesn't directly effect their ability to score or turn up in the box though

Some stuff to try...

Remove the positioning special ability if he has it as that makes a player much more effective at moving into space in the opposition box and also skilled at escaping markers. (also maybe add that to Cisse if you want if he doesn't have it)

What's Zidane's Aggression value in your file? You could try lowering that as AGG is how likely a player is to run forward to join in an attack, maybe if you lower that he may stay outside the box more - also check if he has a forward arrow in the formation screen and maybe try removing that.

You could also try giving him the Side special ability (and remove centre if he has that) as that is one used by the CPU so if he's not in your possession the CPU will be more inclined to move out more to the side if there is space there, that may help keep him out of the box too.

Oh and talking special abilities take off scoring if he has it, that'll help too.

God it annoys me how that's not really a serious factor in the modern games. So many gameplay elements lost over time

It's really quite sad how dumbed down they have made it isn't it. Imagine if it had continued to progress in this manner and with this direction. :((

As @Flipper the Priest said it was supposedly not as all encompassing as it initially was. I still think it does equate to a kind of level of accomplishment in ATT or DEF because if you put them all up in the high 90's without touching any other stat there's a marked difference in how they play. It doesn't directly effect their ability to score or turn up in the box though

Some stuff to try...

Remove the positioning special ability if he has it as that makes a player much more effective at moving into space in the opposition box and also skilled at escaping markers. (also maybe add that to Cisse if you want if he doesn't have it)

What's Zidane's Aggression value in your file? You could try lowering that as AGG is how likely a player is to run forward to join in an attack, maybe if you lower that he may stay outside the box more - also check if he has a forward arrow in the formation screen and maybe try removing that.

You could also try giving him the Side special ability (and remove centre if he has that) as that is one used by the CPU so if he's not in your possession the CPU will be more inclined to move out more to the side if there is space there, that may help keep him out of the box too.

Oh and talking special abilities take off scoring if he has it, that'll help too.

It's really quite sad how dumbed down they have made it isn't it. Imagine if it had continued to progress in this manner and with this direction. :((
thx brother for your clarification , since I'm a newbie I try to learn as much from the OG's

I have some silly questions.

I was playing PES3 and enjoying it, but felt like something was missing. Switched to PES5 and a lightbulb went off in my head - it was like I'd travelled back in time and I was "upgrading" from one to the other, and I was sat there going... "It's more responsive! The ML is better! The tactics are insanely deep! Konami, this is amazing!"

Really odd moment - I was honestly transported back to that moment when A) Konami never disappointed us, and B) I booted it up with my dad, and we were both just sat in awe, saying ridiculous things like (actual quote) "how could they possibly ever make a better game than this?" ...how right we were.

Even now, I'm looking at the tactical setup and I think to myself - it's just perfect. It's deep enough that your changes make a huge impact on positioning, but not so deep that you're looking at a page of tick-boxes for each player, having to change their weekly training and give up changing things after a few days.

Anyway.

I've recreated Gareth Southgate's 5-3-2 system for my starter ML team (Castolo's crew), because it's a terrible team but with decent wing-backs who will bomb forward if you edit the tactics to give them "forward arrows". Every game is a 0-0 (how realistic). But I'll take it.

In the tactics screen, there's a section that says "back line", "counter attack", "zone pressing" and "offside trap". Next to each of those is a letter selector - A/B/C, with A being "often" and C being "rarely".

What exactly is "back line"? Is it the height of the defensive line? Is that not controlled by your att/def level and your formation positions?

And while I'm here... Has anyone ever actually used this screen? I didn't use it back in the day, and I'm not using it now - should I be?

100622750.jpg

This is just an info screen Chris.it states whats each player's Teamwork with the other 10. You are not missing something crucial if you dont use.
Sorry @slamsoze but i have to disagree with you there. Team work is very important in ML, as when you first buy a player you will notice that he may not gel straight away with the other players even if he has really good stats. But the more you play him the higher the team work increases on this display and the better the team will play together. It is a gradual process and not all players fit in.

I heard once that it may also be affected by the nationalities of players because they may not communicate well at the beginning if from a different country. But i don’t know if that’s true or not.

To me this is better than the Team Spirit thingy in the newer game. :)

Sorry @slamsoze but i have to disagree with you there. Team work is very important in ML, as when you first buy a player you will notice that he may not gel straight away with the other players even if he has really good stats. But the more you play him the higher the team work increases on this display and the better the team will play together. It is a gradual process and not all players fit in.

I heard once that it may also be affected by the nationalities of players because they may not communicate well at the beginning if from a different country. But i don’t know if that’s true or not.

To me this is better than the Team Spirit thingy in the newer game. :)
I did not say it is not important, the exact opposite. It is one of the most key Stat in old ML, especially the whole team teamwork Stat. And I like it more than TS too.

Chris asked if he is missing anything, by not checking it, since he never did use it.

I mean, the Stat is there, either Chris uses the screen with :circle: or he doesn't. It is not an action he Must do or not miss, like a training session, he is just missing the information, the stat will increase or not, regardless if Chris or anyone generally, checks the screen, just by progressing the season and playing matches. Until the transfer window at least.

I do not know, if it sounds clear what I mean here. A completely reverse Schrödinger's Cat case.

I did not say it is not important, the exact opposite. It is one of the most key Stat in old ML, especially the whole team teamwork Stat. And I like it more than TS too.

Chris asked if he is missing anything, by not checking it, since he never did use it.

I mean, the Stat is there, either Chris uses the screen with :circle: or he doesn't. It is not an action he Must do or not miss, like a training session, he is just missing the information, the stat will increase or not, regardless if Chris or anyone generally, checks the screen, just by progressing the season and playing matches. Until the transfer window at least.

I do not know, if it sounds clear what I mean here. A completely reverse Schrödinger's Cat case.
I'd be interested to see that, if I make a mental note of the #1 highest pass success rate for each position (if that's what the number represents), if I can put a longer string of passes together than I am right now.

What are the numbers based on? Teamwork attributes? Or just time at the club?

I'd be interested to see that, if I make a mental note of the #1 highest pass success rate for each position (if that's what the number represents), if I can put a longer string of passes together than I am right now.

I cannot say exactly, it is more complicated AND simple at the same time. Would not say only passes, but better moving off the ball, covering, etc

1) Either you go with @mattmid /Seabass explanation, a metaphysical superior force, that makes your players moving better and connecting passes better as a group, that gets better as they play together, game after game and possibly has a maximum cap. based on some stats.

2) Or you go the maths way, which maths I forgot after leaving university. It is 11 player X 10 Teamwork strings (yes strings!! I know someone will make a joke out of it) = 110 strings. Then, starting from GK up to CF, but you always exclude the previous same strings. IE GK with RB have a 55 TW number. Progressing check one-by-one, when you reach RB he will have again 55 with GK, so you must suntractbthe same pairs. What's this Mathematik sequence name? It is not Fibonacci. Then the in field position TW strings make sense, like RB with DFs or MFs, or even FWs when overlap, I don't know how you can make use of the relation between GK and RWF except for a volley, or if you go the Higuita way...

I use to go with path No1), a superior force that as long as the team plays together, they improve game after game. Anything further becomes too KONAMIsh for my brain :P

Stick'em together Chris! Stick them and have faith :P

Or swap the whole roster in first window and bring your own lads!!!

@Chris Davies something more serious as a note, that I can tell for sure. Teamwork here only adds things does not work like TS that haves your players move in mud.

I mean it is just the more the merrier, the cherry on the cake's top. Players positioning and movement is well programed either way by default , for example a RB and a RMF create an invisible link in the right flank , and the one cover the other ATT or DEF wise, just by default programming. It is very well tuned. TW will only make it better and improve the timing of the movements the CPU teamates do for you.

Maybe in lower Teamwork, your RB will position himself one meter in front of the rest defense line, but you will not see him running to the corner when the ball is player to penalty area, or ignoring the rest situation of the team.

I don’t think you know who i am…

While Southend United were getting relegated out of the football league in real life, i was taking that very same team out of ML Div 2 to Div 1, yes the very pinnacle of the ML.

I did this by regularly checking their teamwork and so for me it is vital for ML survival. :P

I think the teamwork stat just gradually progresses over time at the club and other team members. It really is an excellent stat and so important for the way the team plays all round.

For example you may buy an excellent CB but when you partner him with your other CB the teamwork (on the screen that you showed) between them both may be lower than you would expect. The more they play together then it will increase. The good thing is that it doesn't go unrealistically high like 99. I think (although not sure) that it may not go higher than his individual teamwork stat.

But yes the game is so in depth. It really is. Welcome to the retro thread Chris :)

Yes the teamwork would appear to be very cleverly programmed. In the master league there's a definite moment when you realise the team is playing much better without actually being able to exactly put your finger on why. I think it's all subtle, players being in open positions to receive passes, making over lapping runs etc that perhaps initially they weren't doing as the players get an understanding with one another.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's tied into animation frames as that seems to be used a lot in things like reaction where the amount of animation frames is less the higher the reaction stat so the player 'reacts' quicker to a situation.

Doing Amador with the low stats really opened my eyes to that, it felt like I was seeing new things because of it. Including the really low free kick stat which can occasionally lead to the straight up in the air free kick :LMAO: Which I think @Flipper the Priest posted a video of in the Amador thread if you haven't seen it. This was in PES6, but I imagine it might happen in previous ones too.

Well, I was doing some retro football lately, and trying some patches from Sany's thread.
And while trying the PES 5 Russian Premier League Patch, I almost conceded a goal from the goal kick LOL

Maybe because of the modded exe with ball physics.
Well, if it was just a little bit tilted to the left, my goalkeeper would have absolutely no chance to save it

One of my favourite hobbies is kit editing on PES 6, I love creating custom designs and concepts in the in-game editor (my current OF I'm using is the Cantonass OF but I used the PESFan Editor to allow myself to edit every single kit in the game including the ones of the licensed clubs such as Milan and Barcelona), and well this home kit I made for West Ham based on the new kit they released for the 2021-22 season might be my favourite kit I've ever done:

imagen_2021-07-21_162926.jpg

PS: Yeah the crest is different because that's another change I made, I gave some clubs a classic crest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: for some reason I said in-game simulator instead of in-game editor but I fixed it now.

@geeeeee @mattmid used to have my personal urban legend , that two CBs with the same nationality would play better together, due to speaking the same language!!! :D

Also speaking of urban legends, another superstition of mine: Have you ever had the feeling that CPU is doing 4 subs instead of 3 (that it is cheating you :) ) I have this same feeling even today, when i play the modern versions, in the very last minutes when CPU drops another sub, i always pause and go to gameplan to check thinking "wtf hadn't they did their 3 subs before already".... Always suspicious!!! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom