The Retro-PES Corner

King of chips!
1993-1996. Youngest ever winner. They still whisper my name in certain circles. That final in 96, held on the Birkenhead Park official Chipfest™ bench, was intense. The crowd couldn't look away. Aaaahhhh those were the days.

two-boys-eating-fish-chips-on-a-park-bench-in-the-uk-EMC2CT.jpg

Oh, you meant..........

................never mind.

Got some chanting issues on my PES 5 installer,it's all over the place for teams outside the league's,the ones in "other European teams"
Am I screwed or is it just some text document that needs sorting?

I don’t like PES 6 at all, never understood the hype. Too fast and attack orientated.

And don’t get me started on that dreadful ‘next gen’ Xbox 360 version. That game was the straw that broke that the camel’s back for me and was the beginning of Konami’s / PES (as a series) downward trajectory.

I remember playing FIFA 07 because PES 6 was bad (and I hated fifa) and really enjoyed it. EA were making impressive strides whilst Konami were in decline.

@rockstrongo

Same for me. Napoli have Liverpool chants! Just heard the Stevie Gerrard song :LOL:

I don’t like PES 6 at all, never understood the hype. Too fast and attack orientated.

And don’t get me started on that dreadful ‘next gen’ Xbox 360 version. That game was the straw that broke that the camel’s back for me and was the beginning of Konami’s / PES (as a series) downward trajectory.

I remember playing FIFA 07 because PES 6 was bad (and I hated fifa) and really enjoyed it. EA were making impressive strides whilst Konami were in decline.

@rockstrongo

Same for me. Napoli have Liverpool chants! Just heard the Stevie Gerrard song :LOL:
Ha ha,yeah,and guess what "he's big and he's fucking hard"
Hope our forum guru's will give us some advice.
Btw,what difficulty are you playing?

Last edited:
Don't forget if you are playing on the laptop you can change the speeder.cfg in the kitserver folder from the default value of 1 to something like 0.95 or even lower to make the game slower.

Aah,had no clue,haven't been on pc seriously since 2011-12 I think.
That's a great tip Matt, appreciate it buddy👍

For PES6, I'd recommend these steps:

1) Alex stats formula (in case you are not against global stat editing)
2) speeder setting at 0.91 (or similar)
3) Exe with the new ball physics

Believe me, it won't feel too fast with these :)

For PES5, WE9, LE, we have our stat formula (plus quite a few other things) with Ciais in his thread:
https://evoweb.uk/threads/ciais-random-stuff-for-we9-of-formula-referees-module.83808/

Got some chanting issues on my PES 5 installer,it's all over the place for teams outside the league's,the ones in "other European teams"
Am I screwed or is it just some text document that needs sorting?
But for sure u have jon champion telling u: ouwww nearly, but in football terms nearly us nowhere🤣, such calm cynicism from this guy lol

Dont wish to be that PES hipster guy but try WE8LE if you can. I like PES4 but can't help but think that in moving so far away from PES3 they got a few things very wrong. Keepers for starters, and the weight of the ball. WE8LE irons out flaws to be the game I wish PES4 was. I'm not sure if the balls feels better in any other PS2 PES.
WE 8 LE is a masterpiece and so tangibly better than the other WE8 versions it's a shame it isn't a bit more popular.

Now that I'm slowly trying to port my "100% unlicensed" OF over from PES 3 to PES 6 I also feel it's a little too attack-oriented, but at the moment I still think it's for the good.

Is PES 5 an all around better simulation? Surely. Is PES 3 a better representation of football? Likely.
But I've grown so attached to PES 6 that it's hard for me to let it go. I mean, I already have the "finished product" here for PES 3 (to be able to play a 100% fantasy ML) but I keep going back to 6 no-matter-what.
Probably it's just a matter of time spent: back in the day, I only played PES 3 to 5 for a year or so. But upon the release of the "next gen" titles... Well... Not liking PES 2008 that much I kept playing and modding the latest "old-gen" one (which, of course, was PES 6) to the result that I spent countless hours with it. That's probably the reason I keep coming back to it (pretty much like I keep coming back to Virtua Striker 2 even if I do know that 3 is vastly superior in every aspect).

For PES6, I'd recommend these steps:

1) Alex stats formula (in case you are not against global stat editing)
2) speeder setting at 0.91 (or similar)
3) Exe with the new ball physics

Believe me, it won't feel too fast with these :)

For PES5, WE9, LE, we have our stat formula (plus quite a few other things) with Ciais in his thread:
https://evoweb.uk/threads/ciais-random-stuff-for-we9-of-formula-referees-module.83808/

I fully agree with you, that is the way I am always playing pes 6 now. Otherwise I think the game is a bit too fast and not enough fouls in my opinion. There are just too many nice patches to not play PES 6, and with these settings it is still really good in my opinion. But PES 5/WE9 with your guys' stats formula, Kingsley exe, referee and gameplay dll etc is on another level in my opinion, very close to perfection I think.

My main gripe with PES since pes 2012, is the AI design focused on cpu cheating making the game super unrealistic on superstar difficulty.
As a result, u tend to play ur game, have possession but whenever the ai has the ball,here s where the game just falls apart as being very repetitive unvaried type of ai movement and attacks...this has made the game totally forgettable after a few matches, making me reinstall Winning eleven LE again, but i can t stand the old animations anymore which is a bummer, i just wish that pes 2022 is a varied ai game

Hey everyone - I'd like to update PES 2017 on PC. I have the latest Smoke Patch (from April) but there are some kits and additional things I'd like to add via sites like PES-Patch.com. Problem is, every download link on there is sketch, and some are just flat-out blocked by my Malwarebytes. Is there a better place to download these things at that I don't know about? Sadly the 2017 editing community here is not very active.

I don't understand the love that PES 6 tends to get from a lot of players. The game is bugged beyond belief:
  • Lobbing doesn't work
  • You can't score any free kick (with the shot button at least), yet you can score every third corner kick or so, when really it should be more or less the other way around
  • Long shots are ridiculously accurate and when you compare how helpless they make the goalie with the robotically perfect saves of the free kicks, it really makes you wonder whether the goalkeeper is actually the same person in both situations
  • The pass-then-shoot-without-moving bug allows you to score about 80% of time whenever you perform that trick, in fact it was banned in multiplayer in some leagues
  • You can just run around the penalty box, wait for some space and then shoot from one of the edges of the box and that often results in a goal as well, it may actually be just as effective as the previous method
You can easily win most matches on the highest difficulty by 3-5 goals just by abusing those features. PES 6 is a fun arcade game, until you get bored of it. In terms of realism, it's really no better than the PC edition FIFA 07, which obviously has its own problems (also stupid goalies - see below).

PES 4 is the best PS2-era PES for me, followed by PES 5. Both have unbalanced free kicks though - in the former game, you can hardly ever score, whereas in the latter you score 90% of the time. Repeating Sinisa Mihajlovic's feat of scoring a free-kick-only hat-trick is really no problem in this game. It's still unrealistic, but more fun than PES 6. It's better to err on this side, in my opinion anyway.

Stupid goalies were a real problem to me in some editions of PES. The goals I conceded in PES 2008 and PES 2010 due to my goalkeeper's lack of brain really made me rage sometimes, and so did the way the GK rushes the strikers in PES 5 (when you press L1, that is), uncovering the goal and letting the opponent score for free.

Also, in PES 3 I always felt as though my players were blindfolded and didn't know where the goal was. Too many shots are way off target.

Last edited:
I don't understand the love that PES 6 tends to get from a lot of players. The game is bugged beyond belief:
  • Lobbing doesn't work
  • You can't score any free kick (with the shot button at least), yet you can score every third corner kick or so, when really it should be more or less the other way around
  • Long shots are ridiculously accurate and when you compare how helpless they make the goalie with the robotically perfect saves of the free kicks, it really makes you wonder whether the goalkeeper is actually the same person in both situations
  • The pass-then-shoot-without-moving bug allows you to score about 80% of time whenever you perform that trick, in fact it was banned in multiplayer in some leagues
  • You can just run around the penalty box, wait for some space and then shoot from one of the edges of the box and that often results in a goal as well, it may actually be just as effective as the previous method
You can easily win most matches on the highest difficulty by 3-5 goals just by abusing those features. PES 6 is a fun arcade game, until you get bored of it. In terms of realism, it's really no better than the PC edition FIFA 07, which obviously has its own problems (also stupid goalies - see below).

PES 4 is the best PS2-era PES for me, followed by PES 5. Both have unbalanced free kicks though - in the former game, you can hardly ever score, whereas in the latter you score 90% of the time. Repeating Sinisa Mihajlovic's feat of scoring a free-kick-only hat-trick is really no problem in this game. It's still unrealistic, but more fun than PES 6. It's better to err on this side, in my opinion anyway.

Stupid goalies were a real problem to me in some editions of PES. The goals I conceded in PES 2008 and PES 2010 due to my goalkeeper's lack of brain really made me rage sometimes, and so did the way the GK rushes the strikers in PES 5 (when you press L1, that is), uncovering the goal and letting the opponent score for free.
It's a matter of tastes, everyone has different tastes, with other factors such as nostalgia and stuff. Your argument is valid, and understandable, but still there are people who obviously don't really agree, and may like Pes 6 and dislike your favorite Pes. I myself have a love for Pes 6 that I don't think will ever change despite being aware of some of its issues. But perhaps "I don't understand the love that PES 6 tends to get from a lot of players" is a really strong statement.
I'm not saying you are wrong, like I said before, your argument and opinion are valid, but I don't know, maybe I am misunderstanding what you meant, which is a big possibility, but it might sound like you are questioning everyone that likes PES 6 and saying they are wrong for liking it. I'm sure that's not what you meant but from my POV it kinda sounds like you're saying that.

With that said, I wish you a good day.

-----------

Before posting I realized I forgot to mention the fact that it's the easiest game to mod and give patches to from the PS2 era and that's a strong factor that makes PES 6 so popular.

Now that I added that, I can conclude with my post.

I wish you a good day :)

I'm dissing the game, not its players (who may not even be aware of half of them). Except for my friends, who destroyed me every match with those exact bugs. I eventually told them that we either play PES 4 or nothing :P

I like PS2 era PES games, just not that one.
Fair enough, your opinion about PES 6 is valid despite I don't share it because in my case PES 6 is my favorite game.

But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion :)

On PES 2009 on Xbox 360, does anyone know if there is a way to open up more space for chest logos?

2 spaces are available, but then the rest are greyed out with "No Data" but they are numbered spaces, so looks like you can get to them somehow. I just don't know how?

I found this picture online of what I mean.. On my game only the first 2 spaces are open and the rest say "No Data" like this one says from number 9. But it doesn't allow you to just scroll across to the No Data block and create something..

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 6
A really stupid question which all of you will be able to help me with. Which is 'defensive' and which is 'attacking' minded on this meter in PES 5?

1.jpg

I can't find a definitive answer anywhere online. I assume when I toggle the meter UP, it's attacking and down is defensive?

A really stupid question which all of you will be able to help me with. Which is 'defensive' and which is 'attacking' minded on this meter in PES 5?

View attachment 110243

I can't find a definitive answer anywhere online. I assume when I toggle the meter UP, it's attacking and down is defensive?
I always thought the meter meant the player's form, like of it was all the way up it meant the player was in the best form, and if it was down, then the player was the lowest form

I always thought the meter meant the player's form, like of it was all the way up it meant the player was in the best form, and if it was down, then the player was the lowest form
No, from my understanding when I press R1 + L1 it makes the meter go up, and R1 + L2 makes it go down.

View attachment 110243

You're right, top is attacking, down is defending.

View attachment 110243

Curious to know how my fellow retro allies us the levels. Personally I adjust it up or down at certain intervals depending on whether I'm on top (more attacking) or under the cosh (more defensive) but it all goes out the window late on if I'm losing!

Or does anyone use one of the automatic settings?

You're right, top is attacking, down is defending.
Thanks!

@Flipper the Priest

I set strategy marker to manual so I have full control. 80% of the time I leave it in the middle but when I’m chasing a game in last few minutes I will go more attack minded.

I find when left on the default semi auto mode, it puts your team into a defensive strategy too often.

Thanks!

@Flipper the Priest

I set strategy marker to manual so I have full control. 80% of the time I leave it in the middle but when I’m chasing a game in last few minutes I will go more attack minded.

I find when left on the default semi auto mode, it puts your team into a defensive strategy too often.

Definitely. The AI is obsessed with getting you to defend. If you ever check out the 'recommended' settings it almost always sticks you in a defensive-minded 3-6-1 or 4-5-1. Live a little, Konami.

Curious to know how my fellow retro allies us the levels. Personally I adjust it up or down at certain intervals depending on whether I'm on top (more attacking) or under the cosh (more defensive) but it all goes out the window late on if I'm losing!

Or does anyone use one of the automatic settings?
That's one of those things that, as I've aged, I've let the AI take over for me.

When I was younger, I would set up e.g. my dad's teams to use AI substitutions and AI att/def levels, and I used to think to myself "pffft, old man". Now, I just can't be bothered with pause menus after modern games have introduced "quick subs", and if I leave att/def levels to manual, I don't use it. So... Help me, computer. My brain is withered and dying.

Definitely. The AI is obsessed with getting you to defend. If you ever check out the 'recommended' settings it almost always sticks you in a defensive-minded 3-6-1 or 4-5-1. Live a little, Konami.
That's Southgate's AI confirmed.

Back
Top Bottom