The Retro-PES Corner

I Heard that Wolf Evolution Patch (for PES 4) doesnt work if you have the Physical Copy of the game (disk). Is that true or nah?
What else form , except for a physical one , can you have for PES 4??? :THINK: Speaking as of 2004 standards, not today..

Edit: Can't recall if it used its own ".exe" to run the game patched, put pretty sure 100%, i installed Wolf Patch over my PES 4 original game, back at the days.

BUt even if you were a pirate of the Caribbean, back at that days, it was still a disc copy.

Last edited:
What else form , except for a physical one , can you have for PES 4??? :THINK: Speaking as of 2004 standards, not today..

Edit:Can't recall if it used its own .exe to run the game patched, put pretty sure 100%, i installed Wolf Patch over my PES 4 original game, back at the days.

BUt even if you were a pirate of the Caribbean, back at that days, it was still a disc copy.
Haha i got the Physical copy in 2012 i think.

Tried a ML on Pes 17 for Xbox 360,and since I also play it on Xb1,I can clearly see and feel the difference.
Though I played this one on PA1 instead of PA0,it's like two completely different games.
Pace is lower on 360,play both on -1.
I think player models look better too.

I'd say this game feels like Pes 14,without the lag.
Brilliant game (shitty content though)

[Second Post]
------------------------
Forgot to take a screenshot of the rest of my WC with Scotland, but I could take a pic, and it just couldn't be any other way. In the most unexpected way even for me since I was just trying to get to the Round of 16, I went a bit further trying to get the fairytale continued, and after beating the Koreans comfortably in the R16, we had a reencounter with Spain, and a last minute winner against the Netherlands in the semis saw the mighty Scotland reach the World Cup final against no other than England. It was like it was meant to be. And a tough 0-0 draw sent the two british squad to decide the World Champion on the penalty spot, and after the scots scored all five, and Joe Cole missed his pen, the fairytale had the happiest of endings, and Scotland won the World Cup against their old rivals. I just have to say that this was the greatest ever International Challenge I've ever done.
IMG-20210706-WA0036_2.jpg

[Second Post]
------------------------
Forgot to take a screenshot of the rest of my WC with Scotland, but I could take a pic, and it just couldn't be any other way. In the most unexpected way even for me since I was just trying to get to the Round of 16, I went a bit further trying to get the fairytale continued, and after beating the Koreans comfortably in the R16, we had a reencounter with Spain, and a last minute winner against the Netherlands in the semis saw the mighty Scotland reach the World Cup final against no other than England. It was like it was meant to be. And a tough 0-0 draw sent the two british squad to decide the World Champion on the penalty spot, and after the scots scored all five, and Joe Cole missed his pen, the fairytale had the happiest of endings, and Scotland won the World Cup against their old rivals. I just have to say that this was the greatest ever International Challenge I've ever done.
View attachment 109254

Never mind the Euros, I much prefer this version of events! 🥰🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Hi RetroPES friends! A question, I have a PS3 and I like to try some PES on that console...suggestion about better game in terms of gameplay and ML?
where i can find update or just old option file?
Anyone can share something?
Thanks

Hi RetroPES friends! A question, I have a PS3 and I like to try some PES on that console...suggestion about better game in terms of gameplay and ML?
where i can find update or just old option file?
Anyone can share something?
Thanks

I only got into the PS3 games last year, but I would say that 2012 and 2013 get the most affection from the community for their gameplay and depth of ML. From what I've played of the two, I prefer 2013.

Option files is another question. I found PS3 option files to be a bit of a minefield so just went with the default for my 2013 ML. Curious to know what other people say!

@alebolo I've found that, unless you are playing on a PS3 with an original PES save on, it's very hard to find working option files as Konami no longer have the game updates (game improvements, kit/player/stadium updates) online. They don't seem to be sharable within the community either.

There's still some great games from that era though. PES 2010 and 2011 and great Master Leagues in terms of features. The gameplay does feel a little dated now though - more so than PS2 era, weirdly.

PES 2013 is good, has a stadium editor and some great licences but player growth in ML is mad. Too easy too soon, especially with the odd addition of player enhancing football boots!

PES 2012 is good too. Rock hard Master League with the only issue I had being shooting and how shots always seem to go central unless you are using top players.

@alebolo I've found that, unless you are playing on a PS3 with an original PES save on, it's very hard to find working option files as Konami no longer have the game updates (game improvements, kit/player/stadium updates) online. They don't seem to be sharable within the community either.

There's still some great games from that era though. PES 2010 and 2011 and great Master Leagues in terms of features. The gameplay does feel a little dated now though - more so than PS2 era, weirdly.

PES 2013 is good, has a stadium editor and some great licences but player growth in ML is mad. Too easy too soon, especially with the odd addition of player enhancing football boots!

PES 2012 is good too. Rock hard Master League with the only issue I had being shooting and how shots always seem to go central unless you are using top players.

Yeah that's what I found with the option files. You can update the games manually on a jailbroken PS3 with custom firmware but even that's a pain in the ass to a) find the files and b) install them properly. And then you've got these huge option files on top of that.

Also agree on the player growth in 2013. Probably my main gripe. I had a youth team CB that started at about 72 OVR and was up to 90 about two seasons later at 19 years old. It's kind of balanced out by a pretty tricky transfer market, but it doesn't excuse it.

As an aside, which ML was plagued by the Scottie dog on the menu screen? 2008?

Many thanks for your answers!
I have available 2009-2011-2013-2014 so probably I will try with 2011 .

I found online some option file and "patch" of PES2018 with 2021 update....is 2018 so bad?

I found online some option file and "patch" of PES2018 with 2021 update....is 2018 so bad?
PES2018 can be good or bad depending on your preferences really, I really like the game, but it's flawed in many ways, and those flaws can break the game for some. On the ball there's very little to complain about, it feels amazing, it's a good mix of the players having weight, but still being responsive, also the passing is sublime on assisted and manual settings, probably the best game when it comes to how FUMA feels, I love having possession and creating chances here, it's a good time, it's not all perfect though...

The main issues I have is how there are very few fouls, especially compared to games like PES2011 and PES2012, you'll have many matches with zero fouls. Another issue is that the game is really biased towards the wings, it's very easy to lose the ball when playing on the middle, due to it being overly closed, most of the time I try to get a shot it's either blocked or I get tackled. The wings feel very open however, and due to crossing and heading being very snappy and feeling good overall, it's how I score most of my goals, it feels nice, but it can get repetitive. Don't get me wrong, you can make some nice plays and score good goals though the middle, and it feels wonderful to pull it off, but the game's bias towards the wings is hard to ignore at times.

I think the biggest problem though is the CPU AI, this whole thing of the wings being open, no one takes advantage of that more than them, it usually goes like this: They get the ball, and pass to their unmarked striker, which holds the ball until the wingers come, then he plays a lobbed through ball to one of them, and they try to get a cross. If you play PES2018 get used to defending against this, because it's the one attacking strategy you'll be defending against all of the time, it suffers the same problem as the attack really, with the repetition making it get stale with time.

It's a game best enjoyed in short bursts, if you play it a lot many of it's aspects can be very annoying, however playing it more sparingly makes the good aspects pop a lot more, and when this game is good, let me tell you, it's sublime.

PES2018 can be good or bad depending on your preferences really, I really like the game, but it's flawed in many ways, and those flaws can break the game for some. On the ball there's very little to complain about, it feels amazing, it's a good mix of the players having weight, but still being responsive, also the passing is sublime on assisted and manual settings, probably the best game when it comes to how FUMA feels, I love having possession and creating chances here, it's a good time, it's not all perfect though...

The main issues I have is how there are very few fouls, especially compared to games like PES2011 and PES2012, you'll have many matches with zero fouls. Another issue is that the game is really biased towards the wings, it's very easy to lose the ball when playing on the middle, due to it being overly closed, most of the time I try to get a shot it's either blocked or I get tackled. The wings feel very open however, and due to crossing and heading being very snappy and feeling good overall, it's how I score most of my goals, it feels nice, but it can get repetitive. Don't get me wrong, you can make some nice plays and score good goals though the middle, and it feels wonderful to pull it off, but the game's bias towards the wings is hard to ignore at times.

I think the biggest problem though is the CPU AI, this whole thing of the wings being open, no one takes advantage of that more than them, it usually goes like this: They get the ball, and pass to their unmarked striker, which holds the ball until the wingers come, then he plays a lobbed through ball to one of them, and they try to get a cross. If you play PES2018 get used to defending against this, because it's the one attacking strategy you'll be defending against all of the time, it suffers the same problem as the attack really, with the repetition making it get stale with time.

It's a game best enjoyed in short bursts, if you play it a lot many of it's aspects can be very annoying, however playing it more sparingly makes the good aspects pop a lot more, and when this game is good, let me tell you, it's sublime.
Yeah without even playing it, those memories come flooding back, the issues the current game (2021) has is the bias towards central magic passing down the middle from defence to striker. However 2018 & 2019 had this issue where the COM would constantly magic pass it down the wing no matter where the ball is being played from.

So it's as if they correct one issue which than breaks something else regarding team shape.

Reactions: MKC

I played PES 2011 on my PS3 until about one year ago, and I had some of the most addictive and memorable Master League-sessions ever with that game!

The biggest downside - as already mentioned by others in here - is that you can't update the game anymore, so some teams will play in plain, one-color "template" kits without details on them (and with no option to edit them yourself with the in-game editor).

I can't really speak about OFs for this edition, because I did all the editing by myself. I have always loved editing PES-games, correcting faces and creating my own teams, so the lack of OFs actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me.

Also, to everyone taking part in this thread: This is one of the most awesome threads in the entire internet and it's all thanks to you guys for sharing your love of retro PES!

Last edited:

On PS3 or PS4? Haven't played PS4 one much at all and couldn't pass comment. But for PS3, that's the one for which I managed to install data packs and an option file manually and realised how much of a pain it is! Quite enjoyed it when I finally got everything installed though, although not as much as 2013.

Never mind the Euros, I much prefer this version of events! 🥰🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
[Third post]
--------------------
I just noticed I didn't reply lmao

Yeah, I felt this was a lot more epic (of course because I had more fun since I was the one playing), and I felt really patriotic even though I'm not scottish.

I must confess a bit of cheating tho. The normal qualification round was played with the default scottish squad, but after qualifying for the playoffs I found out I could call up classic players (yeah sorry I don't play this gamemode so often so I didn't know that until then) so I decided to give the callup to three great scottish classic players (and I have no regrets of doing so 😎): Denis Law, who ended the tournament with the most assists from the squad, Kenny Dalglish, who won the tournament's golden boot, and finally the guy I named captain, Billy Bremner, because I thought the squad needed a bit of Dirty Leeds vibes :LOL:

But yeah, those three helped Scotland win the World Cup and for that I don't regret calling them up. But, perhaps I could try something more challenging, like playing with a weaker team with no classic players. I might try to see how far I can go with Latvia, that might be interesting.

Hi guys,

I need a little advice.

I am trying to use PCSX2 to edit PES2008 PS2 version rather than keep doing it on my PS2.

I have downloaded everything I need and it works well but I cannot get the 'mymc' to work properly. So I cannot load my option file onto the memory card. I also downloaded Msvcr71.dll because that was missing but I still cannot get it to work.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

@geeeeee Just had a look at mine, only used it the once to put your max file onto it so I could play it. I opened the mymc-gui.exe - does that open for you? Then I opened the Mcd.... file in the memcards folder of PCSX2. From there you can then import your option file I believe.

Which part won't work?

Now being said, whenever i create memory cards,i hesitate to pick the biggest one, cause of he warning that it may be unstable, and lead to loss of data. But i assume the instability was/is for the real-physical memory cards with max capacity, for the emulated ones. Or not?

So i always pick the second next, with the biggest capacity. But i wonder if it makes any sense.

Thanks for getting back to me guys. @mattmid i will confirm when i get back home but i think when i try to run mymc it said that mscvr71.dll is missing. I managed to download that file. But now when i run mymc it says check the log for errors or something like that. :(

Well here is PES2008 PS2's prediction of the EUROs final and really really REALLY bizarrely it features the same teams as @Flipper the Priest 's one.

Full match

Denmark v England (me)

View attachment 102001

Kane finally gets his hands on a trophy. Maybe he will stay at Spurs now :CRY::) What is really uncanny is that Kane finished joint top scorer with Immobile on 7 goals and also finished out right top assister with 4.

England were just too good, whether I was playing against them or playing as them. Their attack is just so lethal, scoring goals from all areas. I really felt for Denmark, they have been fighters throughout the tournament. Only getting through as one of the third place teams because Cornelius scored in injury time against Russia. Cornelius, Poulsen, Eriksen, and Schmeichel were excellent too. It's a shame that Cornelius and Eriksen had a blue arrow for the final although I still picked Eriksen to play but he was pretty quiet. Strange too was that Kasper made a mistake for Sterling's goal just as he made a mistake against Spurs. I feel that if I had been Denmark the game would have been tighter though I think England would have still won.

Anyway, the whole competition has increased my love of PES2008 PS2. So many great moments and it has kept me occupied for about 2 or 3 months. I may take a break for a bit now although I still have my ML to go back to hmm... :THINK:

Also for those that are interested, I have uploaded the May update for my option file here https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/gees-pes2008-ps2-psp-option-file-20-21.85549/ :)

For the Final time...

Hi @Flipper the Priest it seems that both our retro Euro 2020 was not too far from reality. :)

Hi @mattmid that worked thanks :) but :( it will only allow me to open .ps2 files not .max files etc...

I guess there must be a way to change the file that it reads. I will keep checking.

Edit: I think i am getting mixed up with Memory Cards and Option Files :P Haha I am so excited :LOL:

Hi @mattmid just to let you know that i got it working. This makes things a bit easier now as i can just do my basic editing on the PC/Mac using the in game editor and then easily use Pesfan editor too if need be. Rather than having to go from a physical PS2 to PC/Mac all the time.

I have a few retro games in n my laptop,which is nice when travelling or the TV(s) are occupied at home.
I've got Pes 5-6,but I'm thinking if I should install another one.

So which one will do the trick?
Pes 3, Pes 5 (the installer I have is pretty choppy) or WE 9.
Any suggestions/comparisons welcomed.

I have a few retro games in n my laptop,which is nice when travelling or the TV(s) are occupied at home.
I've got Pes 5-6,but I'm thinking if I should install another one.

So which one will do the trick?
Pes 3, Pes 5 (the installer I have is pretty choppy) or WE 9.
Any suggestions/comparisons welcomed.
I'm a PES 6 kind of guy but after a while following this thread I wouldn't be surprised if most people recommend PES 3 lmao

I'm a PES 6 kind of guy but after a while following this thread I wouldn't be surprised if most people recommend PES 3 lmao
My opinion is, PES 3 has a RAW technology, that was regressed in the next chapters 4,5,6. I assume it was cause it used too extra CPU power from the game "engine" at the expense of others things, like moving ponytails, something about eye puplis and mouths (i dont remember now) , some parts of the body, limbs having some more natural flexibility, like the human bodies technology was more advanced or dedicated, etc.

PES 6 is more a video game, but it is a good video game. Responsive, direct, good balance between SIM/ARCADE elements.

So my prefrence is, if i want something to play ML between them, PES 6 is the answer, progressing seasons, players aging, growing, declining, etc. If i want to play a friendly match, and watch a technology exhibition on football from 2003, i would pick PES 3.

Last edited:
I have played PES 6 to death,probably the only football game I played between 05-2010.
To me it's way to fast,great game but I think 3/5 or WE9 will be the ones I'm looking in to
Download and install this mate:

https://evoweb.uk/threads/pes-5-the-original-season-by-fabri55-and-andregranata91.81749/

Really easy to do (even I could do it!). I'm playing a PES ML with Roma and it's so much fun. Chants for every team, every stadium included. Just had a blast away at Atalanta - at their actual ground! Scrappy 1-1 borefest in the rain. Lots of fouls. PES at its best.

Back
Top Bottom