The Retro-PES Corner

I have played a lot of PES 2008 and 2011on PS2. What's it like in comparison?

I found that as it dies out on the PS2 the only noticeable difference is that each instalments gets a bit quicker. Pretty limited playtime, mind you. I'd say I've only played about 10 games each on 2011 - 2014.

EDIT: I have an option file, if you want. All names corrected and in title case (not the Libertadores names, unfortunately), kits, badges and duplicates removed.

Last edited:
I found that as it dies out on the PS2 the only noticeable difference is that each instalments gets a bit quicker. Pretty limited playtime, mind you. I'd say I've only played about 10 games each on 2011 - 2014.

EDIT: I have an option file, if you want. All names corrected and in title case (not the Libertadores names, unfortunately), kits, badges and duplicates removed.
Thanks very much. Id love it but I don't know know how to install it on my PS2 from a PC. 😊

I couldn't for my life figure out why my "switching tactics" (the 4 preset) didn't work in Pes 12.
I've spent days trying to figure it out,internet wasn't my friend is n this old game.
Finally figured out that movement was set to LS and D-pad (you switch with the D-pad)
Now I can finally get going for real

Just for the thread, I thought I would log my earlier impressions of PES 2010 on the PS2 following my latest rescue of a 'lost' era PES:

Well, it's very similar to PES 2011 (PS2), which I have played a fair bit of, but I think it's a tad faster.

Graphics are decent and, with the plethora of player faces and presentation, this really was Konami wringing the very last juice out of PES on the PS2.

For me, PES5 will always be king. PES 6 was decent but PES 2008 (PS2) blows that out of the water with its refinements. PES 2010, 2011 and I would assume 2012, 2013 and 2014 (PS2) and almost a PES unto themselves. You have the frantic nature, presentation (including new floppy nets) and even much of the ML improvements of PS3 era PES and at least some of the playability of the true classic era PES.

Overall, I think PES 2011 (PS2) with its marginally slower gameplay and added Champions League/ML sheen edges in front of PES 2010 (PS2) but there is very little in it.

Won an 8-team Euro with Italy on my WE9LE OF 💪💪. 2 groups of 4 and then semi-final & final. Dispatched Spain, Belgium & Portugal in the group, snuck past (all-time) Sweden in a terrible penalty shootout (3-2 or so) and turned around the final vs France after going down a goal in the 2nd half. I think I scored 5 and conceded 1 in 5 games. Italy lol.
tournament top scorer were bench players Belotti with 2 goals in like 1,5 games and Locatelli....Immobile did not score :LOL:.

Just for the thread, I thought I would log my earlier impressions of PES 2010 on the PS2 following my latest rescue of a 'lost' era PES:

Well, it's very similar to PES 2011 (PS2), which I have played a fair bit of, but I think it's a tad faster.

Graphics are decent and, with the plethora of player faces and presentation, this really was Konami wringing the very last juice out of PES on the PS2.

For me, PES5 will always be king. PES 6 was decent but PES 2008 (PS2) blows that out of the water with its refinements. PES 2010, 2011 and I would assume 2012, 2013 and 2014 (PS2) and almost a PES unto themselves. You have the frantic nature, presentation (including new floppy nets) and even much of the ML improvements of PS3 era PES and at least some of the playability of the true classic era PES.

Overall, I think PES 2011 (PS2) with its marginally slower gameplay and added Champions League/ML sheen edges in front of PES 2010 (PS2) but there is very little in it.
I couldnt have put it better myself. Anything after 2008 is too fast for me. I wonder if using FreeMCBoot it is possible to slow down the gameplay :THINK:

Also do you find in those games the pitch seems slimmer and longer?

I couldnt have put it better myself. Anything after 2008 is too fast for me. I wonder if using FreeMCBoot it is possible to slow down the gameplay :THINK:

Also do you find in those games the pitch seems slimmer and longer?
Hmm, now you mention it...

It could be just the player models plus the speed making everything feel a bit rushed and cramped.

Taken as a kind of sub-genre of PES games, 2010 to 2014 on PS2 are still a lot of fun and provide a real challenge - albeit a rather unrealistic one.

I found myself having to have a couple of matches on PES5 to decompress after my little comparison. 😂

@geeeeee What if you dropped Speed and Acceleration (maybe response too?) by a sizable amount?
You are probably right @mattmid , I actually did that for 2008 that’s probably why they feel faster :LOL:

Like @reinelt97 said the games are fun but to me they are just not that realistic compared to the earlier versions.

On a side note, in picking the squads for the euro‘s for an option file what would you do regarding players that had to pull out because of injury? I’m inclined to pick Trent because i am pretty sure he would have featured in the tournament. If C. Ronaldo got injured after the final 26 were picked and he had to be replaced would you leave him out of the Portugal squad in your option file?

On that note, does anyone remember the retro PES when the Brazilian Ronaldo was constantly injured? I think he had a constant down arrow or a vertical line or something.

On that note, does anyone remember the retro PES when the Brazilian Ronaldo was constantly injured? I think he had a constant down arrow or a vertical line or something.
It was Pes 2, used to happen in both Inter and Brazil. I vividly remember that for this reason everyone was reluctant to pick either when me and my friends were doing afternoons/evenings playing sessions. Anyway, one of those little touches that made you totally love Konami back in the days.

Looks like England are looking to take the PES5 route to glory and, to prove the point, this happend after the match last night...20210623_075652.jpg
A 2-0 win over France in the final after conceding just three goals all tournament.

I want to start an online co-op Master League or World Cup on ISS Pro Evolution Soccer 2 using the PS1 emulator. I've done it before, it's great fun. Anyone want in? I can show how to easy set it up if needed and I'm a very unselfish team player. Dunno whether to put this here or it needs its own topic?

Hello, new user here. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with an issue I'm having? PES2008 won't install on my laptop for some reason, after I click install on the menu nothing happens. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

I remember i used to play iss pro 2002 on the ps1, but as i remember i used to get lots of possession but not enough goals, it felt kinda weird in some matches, having many many chances and not being able to convert them...either they were struck too strongly , either going to the corner flag...nostalgia...

Does anyone still have the PES ML starting year changer v 1.3 (the one that was compatible with PES 6, PES 5 and WE9 LE) and is kind enough to share?
All the links I found seem dead.

Thank you!

Ur playing the wrong game mate, u need the ps2 version of that game not the pc game...that game is trash
The PS2 version is the one I play, which I love. I bought the PC version to help me edit the PS2 version.

I understand the PC version is more like the PS3 and Xbox 360 game, which means it would have konami updates with realistic national squads. I am editing national squads at the moment.

The PS2 version is the one I play, which I love. I bought the PC version to help me edit the PS2 version.

I understand the PC version is more like the PS3 and Xbox 360 game, which means it would have konami updates with realistic national squads. I am editing national squads at the moment.
The PC version has different database structure, the "modern one" (saying modern cause it is used up to today), with the EDIT0000.bin and the "systemsettings.dat" files.

The PS2 version uses the old database structure with the KONWIN32OPT option file system.

I do not know how it can help you, except for RAW editing, side by side.

Does anyone still have the PES ML starting year changer v 1.3 (the one that was compatible with PES 6, PES 5 and WE9 LE) and is kind enough to share?
All the links I found seem dead.

Thank you!
Found that thanks to @PeterC10 🤩

Hope he doesn't mind if I share the post also here (should anyone else be looking for it):
Is this the one you are after? "PES_56WE9_ML_Starting_1.3"

https://mega.nz/file/edJRDA5D#P55JYGE5qHeqyEVtIg2_8n1NB-fkkA_fcz4t-4oXuno

How do I get Pes 4 in full screen?

Use next one kserv.cfg with kitserver 4.4.0 for full hd support in fullscreen mode.

# KitServer configuration file

kdb.dir = ".\"

vKey.homeKit = 0x31
vKey.awayKit = 0x32
vKey.gkHomeKit = 0x33
vKey.gkAwayKit = 0x34

# ADVANCED FEATURE
# possible values:
# 0 - no texture boost
# 1 - kit textures from KDB are boosted
# 2 - all kit textures are boosted
kit.useLargeTexture = 0

vKey.prevBall = 0x56
vKey.nextBall = 0x42
vKey.randomBall = 0x52
vKey.resetBall = 0x43

aspect.ratio = 1.7777
game.speed = 1.0

fullscreen.width = 1920
fullscreen.height = 1080
internal.resolution.width = 1920
internal.resolution.height = 1080

If you want another resolution - you need change parameters: aspect.ratio, fullscreen.width, fullscreen.height to values that will be suitable for your monitor.

Back
Top Bottom