The Retro-PES Corner

I love Rock's posts :LOL:

Just checking in guys....gonna play some PES 2013 soon, I havent gone back to it for a while.

Anyone else dislike PES 6 btw? I played a bit this morning and I just can't get into it. Never did like it much back in the day.....it feels, I dunno, wrong.

PES 6 is hard to get the hang of and to like, especially if you play mostly earlier PES games. The dribble control is terrible in it and makes scoring one on one's with the keeper impossible.

But if you stick around, it does grow on you and scoring long range goals is very rewarding as it so difficult. More of a slow paced and tactical affair than PES 2 or PES 3.

But compared to the likes PES 2010 and games after that, aren't they all just total.........

upload_2018-9-28_22-3-57.jpeg

I love Rock's posts :LOL:

Just checking in guys....gonna play some PES 2013 soon, I havent gone back to it for a while.

Anyone else dislike PES 6 btw? I played a bit this morning and I just can't get into it. Never did like it much back in the day.....it feels, I dunno, wrong.

I never liked PES6 either. Because it had less fouls than PES5 and shooting was over powered. I gave it away about 2 weeks after i bought it. But I have to say that what the guys have done with stat changes on PES6 AMADOR has given it a new lease of life. It is much better now.

Cheers mate.
I can't remember Pes 5 that vividly,I remember Pes 4 though,the first Pes game I got hooked on,started on iss,but skipped a few istallatiions.

I still play my Pes 13 a lot,think defending is a bastard though.,getting beaten all the time

@rockstrongo , You skipped a few editions between ISS games and PES 4 ? Were you in prison or a cult or something ?

:R1:R1:R1

Get the card out and buy PES 2 and PES 3 now my son, your life is not complete without them.

PES 6 Default Originals Challenge Season Five Update:

A somewhat sisyphean task, this most difficult challenge was becoming for me, not only was the boulder constantly rolling back down the hill but it was squashing me along the way.

images

But I think the corner has been turned as my final four games of season five saw two wins and a draw againt three proper tough COM teams. Then a careful selection of some weak end of season friendly opponents and another win in the bag.

Looks like season six awaits, now where did I leave that rock again.......:THINK::THINK::THINK:

@rockstrongo , You skipped a few editions between ISS games and PES 4 ? Were you in prison or a cult or something ?

:R1:R1:R1

Get the card out and buy PES 2 and PES 3 now my son, your life is not complete without them.
Ha ha will do dad.
Nah,I was playing rocknroll back then,as I am now,but single,no kids and a mean left hand, left the Pes games in the dust back then.

Wonder who's the first guy in here that gets caught in an episode of "Hoarders"?
One us is bound to be caught on national TV living among old PS2 magazines and Pes games,and 16 cats of course!
My money is on @miguelfcp

@rockstrongo , What ? Scandinavians are all death metal heads surely ?
No national stereotypes here. :CONFUSE::CONFUSE::CONFUSE:

The hoarder episode would belong to me I think as there are a few copies of Zzap 64 and Sega Power magazines knocking around my gaff. :FISH:

In other news, Sampdoria (Default Original Squad and Youth Player List Save in PES 6) has earned enough points to make it to season six and Jaric now has a free kick stat of 95 and Macco's speed stat is 89, and he was second placed in the assists table for the season.

:BSCARF::BSCARF::BSCARF::BEER::BSCARF::BSCARF::BSCARF:

@rockstrongo , What ? Scandinavians are all death metal heads surely ?
No national stereotypes here. :CONFUSE::CONFUSE::CONFUSE:

The hoarder episode would belong to me I think as there are a few copies of Zzap 64 and Sega Power magazines knocking around my gaff. :FISH:

In other news, Sampdoria (Default Original Squad and Youth Player List Save in PES 6) has earned enough points to make it to season six and Jaric now has a free kick stat of 95 and Macco's speed stat is 89, and he was second placed in the assists table for the season.

:BSCARF::BSCARF::BSCARF::BEER::BSCARF::BSCARF::BSCARF:
Omg!!!
I'm like so super offended,omg!!!
(American stereotype)
Yeah a shitload of death metal,but also Hellacopters etc.
My episode of hoarders will probably contain me stuck under tons of old controllers.
God knows how many I've bought (and never got rid of because might come in handy)

@rockstrongo: 16 cats, check :DD. Old PS2 magazines...man, I always kept them even after I bought the following month's issue...at one point I had a respectable pile of them sitting in my attic, I'd read them once in a while as a retro-gaming literary fix!

@WhoAteMeDinner: It's great that you're using Sampdoria, they have one of my kits ever. Also whenever I play your beloved PES3 I always have to have a go with Parma so that I can use their fantastic blue and yellow kit
parma-mutu.jpg

We should totally have a retro-football-kit thread

A retro kit thread would be amazing.
I'm a sucker for old grounds as well,can't really get wound up on new stadiums
Remember when it looked like this
Mamma mia!!
Screenshot_20180929-154535~2.png

[/QUOTE]@WhoAteMeDinner: It's great that you're using Sampdoria, they have one of my kits ever. Also whenever I play your beloved PES3 I always have to have a go with Parma so that I can use their fantastic blue and yellow kit
parma-mutu.jpg

We should totally have a retro-football-kit thread[/QUOTE]

I believe the kit was the reason Tomas Brolin left. Apparently they didn't do 3XL :D

Last edited:
@rockstrongo: 16 cats, check :DD. Old PS2 magazines...man, I always kept them even after I bought the following month's issue...at one point I had a respectable pile of them sitting in my attic, I'd read them once in a while as a retro-gaming literary fix!

@WhoAteMeDinner: It's great that you're using Sampdoria, they have one of my kits ever. Also whenever I play your beloved PES3 I always have to have a go with Parma so that I can use their fantastic blue and yellow kit
parma-mutu.jpg

We should totally have a retro-football-kit thread

@miguelfcp , PES 3 only has about five or six official licensed clubs and almost all are from Serie A.
Very much under appreciated the kits in this game, they look great for the time, but the gameplay is so strong, how it looks does not really matter.

I've been testing WE9/WE9LE without the gameplay module from kingsley these days and haven't noticed any differences in attacking potency from the CPU. It might be a very subtle difference, then. I also continued my former master league with Manchester United and the CPU attacking-wise was as appalling than in league/cup mode. I actually think it is even worse in ML because of the team settings bug which force the CPU to play counter-attack football.

However... I played a few rounds in a Konami Cup in PES 3 and the difficulty is definitely higher than in a "plain" league, so you were right guys about that in this game.

Last edited:
This sort of ties in with retro PES so here goes...
I am getting back into typography illustrations and one of the things I'm focusing on is retro and nostalgic things so I think I would like to do an illustration of the classic ML players. I have also considered creating them from PES based things like form arrows or anything that is recognisable in the game.

@rockstrongo @WhoAteMeDinner

I think he's actually got bigger, here he is a couple of weeks ago.

He honestly can't run, he ambles. Can't move him in the box once he's set though, it is all muscle.

I must say @miguelfcp , a bright coloured jersey never flatters a husky man. Adebayo looks much better in the away navy kit.

And as for players that can't run, remember Harts in PES 2 ? Unplayable the lad was. :YES::YES::YES:

PES 6 Default Originals and Youth Players List Challenge Master League Season 6

A very early season six update as Sampdoria are off to a flier, we have just thumped an Atalanta side, recently relegated from Division 1, which has players like Vieri and De Jong.

Result: Atalanta 2 - 5 Sampdoria

First time to score five in PES 6, this is a breakthrough season as @miguelfcp and @mattmid had promised would happen in season five and six for those who stick with this most difficult and enjoyable master league save.

I've been testing WE9/WE9LE without the gameplay module from kingsley these days and haven't noticed any differences in attacking potency from the CPU. It might be a very subtle difference, then. I also continued my former master league with Manchester United and the CPU attacking-wise was as appalling than in league/cup mode. I actually think it is even worse in ML because of the team settings bug which force the CPU to play counter-attack football.

However... I played a few rounds in a Konami Cup in PES 3 and the difficulty is definitely higher than in a "plain" league, so you were right guys about that in this game.
What do you mean by team setting bug forcing the CPU to play counter attack?

Re: What Stat and Special Ability adjustments do you make to improve AI in PES5/WE9LE

Cheers dude. I've been a silent reader for years, but basically the only editing knowledge I have, is about team tactics and I never figured that stuff would be much appreciated here, since gameplay differences tend to be rather subtle and some may only turn out to be placebo effects. But yeah I have an OF littered with classic teams from the 70s to today and I test tactics a lot to get them to play distinctively.

It's all geared towards gameplay vs the AI and I definitely notice the difference in defensive approaches by edited AI teams, as I tend to be dominating the ball. To get them to play nice attacking football is harder, but considering the game's limitations it kinda works, too.

I think my Atletico tactics work really well when you play against them and seeing that I made some mistakes in the last post, I'll post some pictures. Feel free to try out.
Atletico 2014
33n944n.png

Germany 2014
2hyc80i.png

Argentina 2014
2hhj1xg.png

Chile 2014
ao9rsy.png

If it works like intended, Messi should get the ball in spaces where he'll be a terror for your defense and Chile's pressing game should be a pain in the ass. I only play WE9LE, though, may turn out slightly different on other versions.

And yes, I think development types should be set with current player age in mind. 28 year olds at or near the height of their powers should get some type of "Standard" curve, but if they were already comparably great in their early 20s (as most stars tend to be), for example Cristiano Ronaldo, I'd favor "Early/Lasting", just in case you play ML long enough for them to retire and regenerate, so they'll be better earlier. "Standard" types tend to continually develop during their 20s I believe, so you'll have to wait longer for them to become really good.
I think the general question fo development type assignments should be: "when is the player going to peak and for how long?"

I haven't really tested this development thing, it's basically theories formed on the basis of random observations, so I may very well be wrong, especially as I've seen "Early/Lasting" players who really decline at 25 or players who have two peaks and dip very low in between them and so on.

I like the idea of building my own team in a ML very much but easily get frustrated with this bug that forces your team settings to all As, like Back Line A, Offside Trap A and so on and it does not matter if you change it to C or whatever, you'll always have a high defensive line and play pressure defense and your players will tire quickly and as a result the AI will get dominated by you and mostly resort to counter attacks, since you can't sit back and invite them forward, so it gets very repetitive. I actually prefer league play now. If anybody knew a way around this bug, that would be much appreciated. I Just tried WE9I and it's the same thing, not sure for PES5, though.[/QUOTE]

Re: What Stat and Special Ability adjustments do you make to improve AI in PES5/WE9LE

Well, if anyone dominates, really depends on your playing style (ok, nothing new here...), I tend to keep the ball well and mostly give it away around the oppositions box and if I press them as they win possession (Gegenpressing, kinda) they have play it out the back slowly an dtry work it into a congested midfield where they will often lose it, even if they're Barca. What I probably meant to say was, the AI is mostly(!) only really threatening with quick counters when it wins the ball in my half or in midfield when I'm on the front foot and because of my high line, they are very dangerous with through balls. But my OF and especially my ML composition consists almost exclusively of good and great teams that can work the ball forward, if I played with let's say Wigan or Stoke, I probably wouldn't dominate possession against top teams. I play my current ML with Sampdoria 2010 (Palombo, Cassano, Pazzini) and I play against the likes of this years Real, Bayern, Milan 2005, Barca 2011, Ajax 1995, etc..

To make the bug really obvious, you guys can try to take a team, say Arsenal, play with them in exhibition mode for a few minutes with all the team settings set to A and then with all of them set to C, you really should notice a difference (how high is your back line, how aggressively are your defenders looking for the offside trap, how agggresively and how high up the pitch are your teams AI players closing down and how quickly are they rushing up the pitch when xou attack). Then you start a new ML with Arsenal play the first game and try the same thing. if I do that in my game, I only ever get the high line - high pressure defense, no matter how I set up my team.
I play WE9LE, 4* with lower Agility (20 points for most players) and much lower Acceleration (50 points for most players).
I would be awesome if you don't have that bug and the error is in my game, but doubt it.
I read about it somewhere a few years ago and could then confirm it during gameplay. I always wondered why the AI does not (or rarely) create good combinative attacking play and when I took a closer look it made sense that you can't do that when you are constantly pressed by a compact team, just look at this year's world cup (any dutch games are good examples). The bug only affects your own team and only in ML.

try playing exhibition against a team with Back Line A and then against one with with Back Line B or C. In one game you will have some space either in midfield or in front of their defense, while in the other game, all the space will be in behind their defense, inviting through balls from you. If you want to enhance the effect, try pairing Back Line A with Offside Trap A or B. If you want to have a through ball fest, try giving the opposition Back Line A, Offside Trap B and Pressure C, should be fun.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... that’s interesting. In my ML in PES2008 i had to change my back line to A, i think, because my defenders on C were always around the penalty box which made it more difficult to defend because the CPU was right on top of the goal. But in setting A, my defenders have a higher line and i can stop them further up the pitch unless they play a through ball. I could have got it the wrong way round but definitely there is a difference between A and C.

I’m guessing it works fine in PES2008:THINK:

Hmmm... that’s interesting. In my ML in PES2008 i had to change my back line to A, i think, because my defenders on C were always around the penalty box which made it more difficult to defend because the CPU was right on top of the goal. But in setting A, my defenders have a higher line and i can stop them further up the pitch unless they play a through ball. I could have got it the wrong way round but definitely there is a difference between A and C.

I’m guessing it works fine in PES2008:THINK:

Well, as far as i know, this bug only affects PES5/WE9/WE9LE, not sure about WE9Jap, but most certainly.
Nevertheless, i think that in PES6/2008 you can't change teams settings "Counter Attack" and "Pressure" during master league, if i remember right.

Well, as far as i know, this bug only affects PES5/WE9/WE9LE, not sure about WE9Jap, but most certainly.
Nevertheless, i think that in PES6/2008 you can't change teams settings "Counter Attack" and "Pressure" during master league, if i remember right.

Do you mean your own team or CPU teams?

Back
Top Bottom