The Retro-PES Corner

Are we talking about that Colin guy again :LOL:

TV is complete and utter tosh 90% of the time. Reality show crap by the bucket load which you couldn't pay me to watch. Just lucky there's some really good series from time to time, like The Line of Duty and stuff like that. I even watch match of the day on iplayer now so I can wind through the drivel in between the highlights.

How much do these pundits get paid to tell me what I've just seen? Nice work if you can get it!

@mattmid , Sort of gave up watching Match of the Day when Hansen left. And then when the EFL highlights were lost by the BBC, I really only watched the Euros and the World Cup. I can see a day soon when watching even the World Cup will make my eyes hurt. Like when FIFA play it in a desert for instance.

And reality telly warning: Do not watch Channel 4 at the moment, you will punch the telly. :SICK::SICK::SICK:

I remember you mentioning bikes before and talking of online streaming reminds me of a BBC one that was really good quality and that was the North West 200

Yep, well remembered, the bikes and the boots are my thing always. Just motorbike racing and football for me. The bike road racing I can hardly watch anymore, so many terrible race fatalities down the years. I watch more track championships now like BSB, WSB and MXGP.

Bikers are very like footballers too, Valentino Rossi, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo all share a common allergic reaction to the taxman.

:DD:DD:DD

@WhoAteMeDinner Yeah, 2018's been an awful year for it. A horrible spell at one point. The Southern 100 one must have been horrendous, thankfully it seems like Ivan Lintin is recovering well. Such a shame about James Cowton, he was really beginning to challenge at the top as well.

I went to the TT in 2003 and to this day it is still the most incredible thing I have ever seen. To stand at the side of the rode as a motorbike comes past at 200mph is just indescribable. I went over with a mate and neither of us had been, the first one that came past we just looked at each other opened mouth and both said, well you can imagine what we said! You can see why they can't stop doing it, the adrenalin rush must be unbelievable.

Yeah I mostly watch the BSB, generally really close racing with a lot of potential race winners. Been to a couple of races but not for 2-3 years now. Used to love WSB back in the mid-late nineties when there was Fogarty, Slight, Edwards, Whitham, Corser, Chilli and so on, fantastic racing.

Yep, my Dad used to go to the Isle of Man TT back in the 1960s and 1970s. I only have ever been to Motocross races in the UK and here in Ireland. The sight of someone doing 200 mph plus on a bike on an open road, with walls, houses and bridges as the only crash barriers must be astounding. The bravery of those riders is off the charts.

Did you see James Whitham btw, on the BSB Oulton Park coverage on Eurosport last week ? His hair is growing back, hope that is a good sign. He seems such a decent bloke.

Ah I don't have Eurosport at the moment unfortunately, so I have to rely on the ITV4 highlights. They do have the Eurosport commentary though. Hopefully that's good news then, he does seem like a great bloke, I read his autobiography, it was a good one. That's the second time he's had that too, life can be very unfair! Love his commentary.

To those who wonder what we're on about, here's a few clips that perfectly sum up what the first reaction is like that I was on about.

We better let retro get back on topic now I guess! :D

@mattmid , fantastic clip and makes sticking your head out a window on a train seem very dull by comparison. I can see in the distance as well a nice stone wall and big tree just at the turn at the end of that road.

Not a sporting event for those with large families depending on them. :SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:

Ah I don't have Eurosport at the moment unfortunately, so I have to rely on the ITV4 highlights. They do have the Eurosport commentary though. Hopefully that's good news then, he does seem like a great bloke, I read his autobiography, it was a good one. That's the second time he's had that too, life can be very unfair! Love his commentary.

To those who wonder what we're on about, here's a few clips that perfectly sum up what the first reaction is like that I was on about.

We better let retro get back on topic now I guess! :D

That illness is horrible, always can strike young me in particular and James Whitham had it when he was very young first time round, and then it coming back now is just cruel. Really hope the hair is a good sign.

Him and Jack Burnicle are hilarious. Jack is Eurosport's version of Inverdale or Lynham, an old buffer who sort of just wings it and relies on ex-riders James Whitham or Rob Andrews in BSB and MXGP, to cover for him all the time.

Last edited:
@WhoAteMeDinner I remember that! :) Yes that clip really sums up the first time reaction perfectly! To think that Hickman and Harrison did the TT lap this year (38 miles for those who don't know of it) at an average speed of 135mph is just beyond belief. On roads no wider than your average street. You should check out one of the onboard laps. :)

Yeah, I read that he's been doing his track training days so hopefully that also means he's on the mend too.

Not for the faint of heart https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/44083363

@fmicablues7 I have a question if I may.

I have just got PES3 on PS2 but am struggling to find any option files at all.
I am hoping that I will be able to convert a PC one to PS2 format like I can with PES6 etc, but I need an actual PS2 one in the first place (preferably in MAX format) in order to try it out. Do you know where I might be able to get one in this day and age?

Thanks in advance

Russ

I am hoping that I will be able to convert a PC one to PS2 format like I can with PES6 etc, but I need an actual PS2 one in the first place (preferably in MAX format) in order to try it out. Do you know where I might be able to get one in this day and age?

Thanks in advance

Russ

@rsl1 , nice one mate. And the game is brilliant just out of the box, start a Master League and see.

:SNACK:

Thanks in advance

Russ

Great choice ! PES 3 is a perfect platform to play a ML IMO. There are a lot of settings concerning transfers for example.
Regarding the option file, i found this : https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/917621-world-soccer-winning-eleven-7-international/saves

I had a quick match earlier and loved it. I just wanted to edit the names etc quickly.
I am planning on starting a ML over the weekend.

I am quite sure you can edit most player stuff in the game, as it is, edit player options allow you to edit stats, appearance and not sure about name but possibly too.

Seriously, though @rsl1 , take my and @fmicablues7 advice, the joy of PES 3 is the fast, relentless and dynamic gameplay in the Master League. When you start that, peripheral stuff like player names, apperance and stat changes will just be trivial by comparison to the brilliant gameplay.

Screen Tip, set the screen mode at game start to NTSC 60 Hz, very important higher screen refresh speed, as the ball moves so fast in this game, it needs this mode to avoid edge of screen ball blur on flatscreen televisions.

PES 6, Playstation 2, Default Originals Challenge Season Four Update

To get back on topic after I went off on one about bikes and other stuff and @mattmid followed me.:SHHH:

I have a massive Div 2 Cup game coming up this evening, lost opening four league games as is the usual way in this tough challenge, but hammered Willem II 5 - 2 in the first leg of the Cup. Now that sounds a massive advantage to non-default challenge players, but as certain hardcore PES gamers will know, the old default boys can concede goals in rapid succession on a bad day.

Please not today.....:PRAY::PRAY::PRAY:

I am quite sure you can edit most player stuff in the game, as it is, edit player options allow you to edit stats, appearance and not sure about name but possibly too.

Seriously, though @rsl1 , take my and @fmicablues7 advice, the joy of PES 3 is the fast, relentless and dynamic gameplay in the Master League. When you start that, peripheral stuff like player names, apperance and stat changes will just be trivial by comparison to the brilliant gameplay.

Screen Tip, set the screen mode at game start to NTSC 60 Hz, very important higher screen refresh speed, as the ball moves so fast in this game, it needs this mode to avoid edge of screen ball blur on flatscreen televisions.

For some reason when I set it to 60hz mode, it gets slightly blurrier even though the 23 inch TV I am using for the PS2 is HD and should be more than capable of running it. It's not terrible and still runs but is definitely a bit more out of focus than the 50hz mode.

I am using the standard RGB cable, not sure if that is why?
I am a bit out of touch with the whole PS2 scene so not sure if there is a better way to run it on a newer TV?
Any advice would be appreciated.

For some reason when I set it to 60hz mode, it gets slightly blurrier even though the 23 inch TV I am using for the PS2 is HD and should be more than capable of running it. It's not terrible and still runs but is definitely a bit more out of focus than the 50hz mode.

I am using the standard RGB cable, not sure if that is why?
I am a bit out of touch with the whole PS2 scene so not sure if there is a better way to run it on a newer TV?
Any advice would be appreciated.

@rsl1 ,
I think the NTSC 60 Hz mode does sacrifice pixels for speed as you are right, my Panasonic LED telly automatically resets from 576p to 480i when NTSC format is selected at the game start screen.

That is definitely why it is a bit less sharp than the 50 Hz PAL mode, less pixels or lines, but I really find that the NTSC 60 Hz rapid image refresh rate makes a big difference in PES 3 as the ball moves like a missile compared to other PES games.

Up to you, some people don't mind the ball blur or stutter as much as others.

Came very close to losing the Div 2 Cup tie in the second leg, as feared, the default players did not manage to keep a clean sheet and two early goals by Willem II meant a nervous game to the final whistles, a couple of solid saves by Kelsen saw us progress to the second round of the Cup for the first time.

:BAND:

Pink Sheets Late Edition:

Lombardia (Inter Milan) win hard fought first leg away game in Division 2 Cup semi-final 0-1. Is the
Nerazzurri on the brink of cup glory ?

Back
Top Bottom