The Retro-PES Corner

Can only play the Default Originals Challenge in PES 6 on the Birds Eyes Camera Angle. (In PES 6, you need to get it in the PES Shop).

The PES 6 wide camera angle was messed around with in this game, so the camera view is much lower down in the stands than in earlier editions, so the Birds Eye Camera is the only strategic camera available to allow your slow defenders a week's notice of a COM team attack.
:THINK::THINK::THINK:

@papinho81 I do prefer too zoomed in cameras.. I think we are a rarity, as most of the people seem to play with far ones, but to me it is way more immersive to be near the action, I personally don't get half the satisfaction in scoring or even fighting for a ball in area if I have to look at the action from so far away, and as you said radar does the tactical/vision job just fine... Plus, I played with something similar to the normal medium (which is my absolute favourite one) for all my gaming life.. can't change now, even if I love too broadcasts ones and switch for that from time to time (in the past there was a good variety with three choices, nowadays on default it's just that one that would be perfect without those awful zoom ins on Pes, and the Fifa one which I don't like at all).

I'm a close zoom camera man myself. I love watching the as if I'm on the sidelines or first few rows of the stadium.

PES 6 COM teams have some rough tactics. Burchet was just shoved off the pitch in a game yesterday by COM player who just ran straight at him at a right angle.

And not even a foul given. :CURSE::CURSE::CURSE:

@WhoAteMeDinner AI programmed by 70's footballer's like Chopper Harris

Commentary is really quiet but if you turn it up you can hear the commentator say, a slight foul on Best there. Slight :LOL:
And imagine modern football influencers believe that the legendary players from 60s and 70s are not on par with current days steroid marathon untechnical runners because the players were not running so fast and there was more free space on court.But they forget to mention that the yellow and red card was introduced in WC 74 or 78 like VAR was introduced as an attraction in this year’s WC.Before it,cards were optional and the most Defenders were marking with MMA techniques with only some warning from the referee.

yo.

new install after many years.

i get "PES5 has stopped working" when i run pes5.exe on my windows 7.

have run as administraor and tried compat mode with win xp/vista

also in setting the joypad doesn't show up - there is no listd controller in the drop down menu.

any ideas?

@slamsoze Exactly. It seems most youth academies are turning out robots these days, all individuality is drummed out of them.

This is one of my favourite videos on youtube so I make no apologies for posting it. Just look at the quality of control and the long range passing with BOTH feet. Watch the video and tell me which foot was his best.

@Alx1234 When you install it it installs with the part 2 bin file. If it installed ok then that all worked fine. Seems it's made no difference then, does PES6 work ok? There's an installer on that same page I linked for that. Don't know if you've tried that but out of curiosity it would be worth trying because I would think you'd get the same error message, at least if you do then it's not the game it's something on your setup.

upload_2018-9-12_0-7-1.jpeg

@slamsoze and @mattmid , I imagine if Claudio Gentile (above giving the Diego lad a reminder of who was marking him) and Ron Chopper Harris were both playing today, they would be banned for half of every season and be forced to wear straight jackets and sponge covered football boots when playing as well as attending sensitivity training.

Was there even a tackle made at the last World Cup ? :SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

Guys, you really need to try WE8Int. Such an underrated game. It is basically a fixed PES4. It has an attacking AI comparable to PES3 and PES2008, PES3's number of fouls and PES5's engine. Off-the-ball movement is superb and there is a lot of diversity. Shooting was awkward at first (coming from PES 3, where the shots are rockets when you slightly tap the shoot button), but i get used to it. Oh, and the kitserver supports high resolution in-game, so it's also a joy to watch good graphics.

Sorry @fmicablues7 to bring back this old post but I am afraid your and Madmac prophecy was true... I am starting to find the cpu of WE9LE toothless in attack even on six stars. Do you know where I could find WE8Int?

Also is there any other version you would recommend me to try other than PES6 and PES2008? Is WE9 superior to WE9LE in terms of cpu difficulty?

Edit: Never mind @fmicablues7, I have seen your post where you direct another user toward Sany thread. I should have looked there first before asking.

@lazoli would you mind sharing your OF?

Edit 2: I am getting confused with all those game versions... Is WE8 equal to WE8I (int)?

Last edited:
Evening everyone...I've been a bit slack with my editing of highlights due to work and life commitments, but the latest instalment of my 1970's ML is below...

Matchday 5 was a 1st leg home tie vs Coventry City in the D2 cup

Game started off a bit scrappy with no real chances for either side before Coventry finally woke up around 16 minutes and forced a corner.
They wasted that corner but it spurred them on and Robert Parker played a peach of a through ball that split the Forest defence on 19 minutes to set David Cross free. Cross should really have scored but the combination of Viva Anderson and Big Shilts running at him from 2 angles was enough to make him fluff his lines.
A missed chance but a wake up call for Forest's sleepy defence...

This seem to wake the Tricky Trees up a bit and Woodcock won a free kick on the left hand side with some neat footwork.
The resulting freekick was whipped in nicely but McGovern could only direct his header over the bar.

Another nice through ball to Cross on 26 minutes as the Forest defence is split wide open again. Luckily for the Reds, Cross has left his shooting boots at home today and can only manage a tame effort into the arms of Peter Shilton.
It should really be 0-2 to Coventry by now with David Cross looking for his hat-trick. Lucky escape for the Reds but an exciting game so far despite the slow start.

A few minutes later Forest have clearly been awoken from their slumber, some nice build up play see Colin Barrett free on the left wing...he whips in an excellent cross which finds the criminally unmarked Steve Hodge on the edge of the 6 yard box. The 17 year old future England midfielder leaps like a salmon and nods home to put Forest 1-0 up and give them what is possibly an undeserved lead.

With their tails up, some more good play sees McGovern free just outside the box but his long range effort does nothing to trouble the City 'keeper.

In 1st half stoppage time, David Cross again gets another chance. This time he hits the target but Shilton makes a great save. The rebound falls to Cross who can only finds the side netting with his header.

That's it for the first half action with Forest 1-0 but Coventry have had a hatful of chances and should be level at least if not in front.

the 2nd half begins and Cloughie has obviously had a bit of a go at the Reds during half time as they come out fired up and the tackles are flying around.
Coventry come close to equalising on 48 minutes from a first time, long range effort after a free kick but it whistles past Shiltons left hand upright.

Steve Hodge is playing well as he comes close with a free kick that goes just wide and then puts in a great cross for Peter Withe on 67 minutes. With gets clear of his defender nicely and directs the header at goal beautifully. He beats the keeper but not the bar and it remains 1-0.

Another foul on 70 minutes after ANOTHER through ball splits the Forest defence results in another Coventry free kick.
Bobby Graham bends it towards the top corner but Shilton is equal to it and tips it around the post to preserve the Forest lead. Forest are very much staying alive at this point...that will make more sense if you have watched the video first...

On 73 minutes With e has had enough of this and wants to put the game to bed. He receives the ball from Gemmill on at the corner of the 18 yard box, turns beautifully before cutting inside and curling an absolute belter into the top corner. It is quite honestly one of the best goals I have ever scored in any PES and I even entered it into the goal of the week competition when I scored it a couple of weeks ago. 2-0 to Forest and finally some daylight between them and Coventry.

In stoppage time, Withe gets a glorious chance to make it 3 from 18 yards out but blazes over the bar. John O'Hare's poor first touch a minute later sees the ball picked up by the Coventry 'keeper which pretty much concludes the action for the game.

A poor 1st half that turned into a much better 2nd half for Forest and was topped off with a goal of the season contender. Coventry will feel hard done by but their poor finishing is to blame and nothing else.

The highlights and some funky 70's music can be found below:

Next up is Coventry City again but away and in the league this time.
With the 2nd leg coming up soon as well, it'll be Forest vs Coventry 3 game out of 4!!

Sorry @fmicablues7 to bring back this old post but I am afraid your and Madmac prophecy was true... I am starting to find the cpu of WE9LE toothless in attack even on six stars. Do you know where I could find WE8Int?

Also is there any other version you would recommend me to try other than PES6 and PES2008? Is WE9 superior to WE9LE in terms of cpu difficulty?

Edit: Never mind @fmicablues7, I have seen your post where you direct another user toward Sany thread. I should have looked there first before asking.

@lazoli would you mind sharing your OF?

Edit 2: I am getting confused with all those game versions... Is WE8 equal to WE8I (int)?

I'm sorry about WE9LE. :(

WE8I is not the same game as WE8. WE8 was a PS2-only game released before PES4. WE8I was released after PES4.
About WE9 : Are you talking about WE9International or WE9, the PS2-only game ? Yes, it becomes confusing. :LOL:
As for the game i'd recommend : Currently, i'm playing mostly PES3, WE8LE and WE10. Unfortunately, WE8LE and WE10 are also PS2-only games, but you can play them on an emulator if your PC is powerful enough.

Last edited:
I'm sorry about WE9LE. :(

WE8I is not the same game as WE8. WE8 was a PS2-only game released before PES4. WE8I was released after PES4.
About WE9 : Are you talking about WE9International or WE9, the PS2-only game ? Yes, it becomes confusing. :LOL:
As for the game i'd recommend : Currently, i'm playing mostly PES3, WE8LE and WE10. Unfortunately, WE8LE and WE10 are also PS2-only game, but you can play them on an emulator if your PC is powerful enough.

So... if I have a WE8 on PC it must be a WE8Int (lets say one that come with Sany's installers)? Is that correct?

So... if I have a WE8 on PC it must be a WE8Int (lets say one that come with Sany's installers)? Is that correct?

Yes, for sure. The attacking AI is much better in WE8I than in WE9LE. But it is also easier to score goals. IMO, the game is generally harder than WE9LE, but still not that hard.

@rsl1 Great write up :) I felt sure Hodge was going to do a John Travolta walk to the corner flag after scoring and end with the dance pose with the arm in the air! :LOL:

I'm on fire tonight as I've edited another...
After a somewhat undeserved 2-0 win over Coventry in the 1st leg of the D2 cup, Forest's next game was away to...Coventry in the league.

There wasn't a lot to shout about early doors, probably due to both defences wanting to put on a better showing than the previous outing.
On the 38 minute mark Dennis Mortimer whipped a free kick into the box and Ernie Hunt came close with his header but put it just over the bar. This was pretty much the only effort of note in the 1st half...0-0 going into the break.

Just after the 2nd half started, Forest got a corner and Peter With rose and connected, but his diagonal header was high and wide.
Shortly after, Martin O'Neill made a strong run down the right, he got a bit lucky when an interception only knocked it closer to goal but his resulting shot curling effort was always rising and didn't really trouble the City 'keeper.

Robert Parker hit a half decent long range effort for Coventry on 51 minutes but it was never really going to trouble Shilton at that range.

Youngster Hodge had a half chance on 53 after some fine wing work from John Robertson and Peter Withe hit a tame effort from the edge of the box that was nothing like the wondergoal he scored in the previous meeting.
Lacklustre efforts all round meant that it was starting to look like this game would be a washout.

On 71 minutes it looked as if the Forest defence had been undone again as it had been time and time again in the last match. But as Bobby Graham raced through, the linesman raised his flag and play was called back.

The game finished with a handful of free kicks split between the 2 teams but none produced an effort on goal that was worthy of breaking the deadlock. The final whistle blew with the score 0-0, a point apiece but a game that won't live long in the memories of either set of fans.

Next up Middlesbrough in the league and then they get to do it all again for the 3rd time in 4 matches as it's the 2nd leg of the D2 cup...

As usual, the highlights with some 70's music are below:

Will have an update tomorrow on the PES 6 (Playstation 2) Default Originals Challenge. In season 3 now and a few draws and keeping the losses to 0-2 and 1-3 margins is the order of the day. Signed several youth players list players in the newcomers section and in PES 6, they are a very mixed bag. Some look great and then don't develop at all with games played. Soares and Sahafi being two strikers that are like Peter Pan meets PES as they remain exactly the same forever.
Jacobsen, a Danish centre-half and the two Japanese defensive midfielders: Sasaki and Kobayashi are already top players in the team as eighteen-year-olds. Espinas, Ceciu and Valeny are now mid-thirties and their stats have dropped too much to play and I'm now in that danger zone where the new gen players like Dulic, Jaric and Vornander are still very slow and the old guard (except Macco and Burchet are gone).

Avoiding another reset game over will be tough.

In other retro PES news, I have finally given in and ordered a PS2 slim from eBay.
I bought pes 5,6 and 2008 on disc for a whopping 50p each from our local cex the other week.
I tried the pc PS2 emulator but it wasn't as smooth as I'd hoped so I've bought an actual PS2 now to see if it's any better/worse or the same as we9le on my windows 10 pc.
It should arrive early next week I hope...

The final of europa league vs napoli,a team who has completed his europa league charge without any defeat in the process, however i had to contemplate the absence of rakitic in midfield due to muscle overload and negredo upfront for a hamstring problem.
However i placed perrotti and etoo upfront, ended 1-1, though i won in penalty shootout 4-2

Back
Top Bottom