The Retro-PES Corner

@mattmid: "Say, have you ever played PES [insert girl's name here]?"
- Hmmm, what is a PES?
tenor.gif

Pick your battles carefully my friends.

WE9LE is a great game, but after playing it for a few years, it becomes too easy, especially defensively. Last time i played it, i had like 10 games in a row without a goal conceded.

Imho it's not the years, it's just that in the "9" titles, with normal play conditions (no strange challenges or defaults or similar) the cpu is sadly incapable of mounting logical offenses with a bit of continuity/consistency. I bet that even in a couple of years I'll still concede good goals on Pes 3, or 2008, or 12. We9/Pes5 were inexplicably flawed on the get go in that department.

Not to put down WE9, that is so good in his "environment" to still be a timeless masterpiece despite this.

I am playing we9le only since a month or so and I am conceding a good share of goals (on five star). I am playing a training EPL with Liverpool before starting a proper ML. After 6 games I am in 12 position. I lost 3-1 to Bolton (not dudeck fault). So I am certainly not letting it down at the moment.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Great advices lads!

Hmm, interesting, what would be a better choice then?

PES3, or WE8LE/WE10 if you can use the PCSX2 emulator or have a PS2.
PES3 defenses are tight and the attacking AI is much better than in WE9LE. WE8LE and WE10 are faster games, a bit more end-to-end, but the CPU is also great. Take in mind i only consider the single player experience. WE9LE is much better for PvP than WE10 for example IMO.

I am playing we9le only since a month or so and I am conceding a good share of goals (on five star). I am playing a training EPL with Liverpool before starting a proper ML. After 6 games I am in 12 position. I lost 3-1 to Bolton (not dudeck fault). So I am certainly not letting it down at the moment.

It was the same for me a few weeks ago, when i retook the game. I had a few challenging games. But then, i guess i figured out again the way the cpu attacks and it was game over for me, sadly.

I only care about single player as well. I don´t have a ps2, and I don´t think I´ll get one, but maybe I´ll try with some emulator. Thanks

It was the same for me a few weeks ago, when i retook the game. I had a few challenging games. But then, i guess i figured out again the way the cpu attacks and it was game over for me, sadly.

I hope I will not reach that state too quickly otherwise the many hours I am putting in updating lazoli OF will be a complete waste of time... I am playing 20 mins games with a close camera with a weird angle (close and angle:6) so that it might add to the difficulty.

One thing I really like about WE9LE is that it feels like the positioning and the flow of the game are correct in the way it uses the width and the length of the pitch. The compression and the decompression of the line feels good. Defense synchro when they play the offside line is something modern game should have a look at. In comparison, each time I try PES6 or PES2008 (PCSX2 version) I feel like everything is channeled through out the center of the pitch and defense are sitting very deep even if set up with high line tactics. Both feels way more end to end to me, but may be I am missing something. As for PES3, I didn't really gave it a proper recent go, since it is probably the footy game I played the more in the Era it was released on PS2.

Last edited:
After first test with PES 6 firebird patch, it feels good, but not quite as WE9LE. Ball is way looser on WE, wich makes it harder to dominate passes, dribling etc, but it´s so rewarding when you manage to do it well. PES 6 started to implement a diferent style on the ball, too glued to feet and ground, too much for me to enjoy it fully. Ever since I´ve noticed this, look at pes 2018, 2019... you are passing the ball flawlessly, and conceding goals is all about bad decisions or extreme scripting. In older editions I can try to make the same play 10 times, and I´ll probably get 10 diferent results, because sometimes the pass doesn´t go as intended, or sometimes the ball receiver doesn´t get a perfect first touch, and what seemed to be a wonderfull counter attack turns into a ball loss... The flow of things is simply perfect.
The trick for Konami is to use a proper PA1, exactly like the passing system on PES 5/WE9, dribling and shooting. Why they can´t get this right is beyound my mind.

But even today, reading older posts in most forums, I see people complaining about too many fouls and the lack of control on drible and passing in PES 5... So Konami can´t be the only one to blame here.

Rough away game Vs Napoli in the Europa League.
Went 1-0 down early on,had nothing in the first half,except a red card for a soft tackle.

Second half was a nailboter,I played 4-4-1,and had two chances,one through ball I scored on,keeper came out ,but got it past him.
Then I shut down the game,very unfairly,but still a win is a win!

Nice to come over to this forum with the current dissatisfaction on the PES 19 forums...Peaceful and happy here lol

Finished up my 1st season with Man U in PES 6, 2nd after West Ham. Stand out players Lukaku, Rashford and Matic.

Bought Peresic during the season and his impact was incredible in terms of strength on the ball and ability to pick a pass. Love how signings make a huge difference even in big teams.

Going to give this one a break and start a PES 12 one at the weekend.

Nice to come over to this forum with the current dissatisfaction on the PES 19 forums...Peaceful and happy here lol

Finished up my 1st season with Man U in PES 6, 2nd after West Ham. Stand out players Lukaku, Rashford and Matic.

Bought Peresic during the season and his impact was incredible in terms of strength on the ball and ability to pick a pass. Love how signings make a huge difference even in big teams.

Going to give this one a break and start a PES 12 one at the weekend.
They do,Perisic is a smashing signing.
I signed over a four year period,Insigne/Draxler/Weigl/Berardi/Bernadesci and went from a good side to a indestructible force on my Milan Pes 17 save.
Made an offer for Cananuglu (spelling) who's in Milan on Pes 18 as well.
Big signings makes a big difference even at big clubs mate.
Great season for you on Pes 6.
Hope you enjoy Pes 12,I really like it,shooting a bit weird but I like the rest.
Good luck @martyl2

@rockstrongo He seems to have taken the Tomas Brolin route a bit, a big rise to fame, massive promise and a gradual demise. Only he hasn't got as fat :LOL:
Brolin is massive nowadays.
Such a good player in Parma,then out of the water in Leeds,not a good move,he ended up playing RMF when he's a SS or AMF which explains some of his fall.
Love his game Vs Leeds when in Palace with Lombardo

They do,Perisic is a smashing signing.
I signed over a four year period,Insigne/Draxler/Weigl/Berardi/Bernadesci and went from a good side to a indestructible force on my Milan Pes 17 save.
Made an offer for Cananuglu (spelling) who's in Milan on Pes 18 as well.
Big signings makes a big difference even at big clubs mate.
Great season for you on Pes 6.
Hope you enjoy Pes 12,I really like it,shooting a bit weird but I like the rest.
Good luck @martyl2
Cheers buddy il make sure to upload some clips if I can

I hope I will not reach that state too quickly otherwise the many hours I am putting in updating lazoli OF will be a complete waste of time... I am playing 20 mins games with a close camera with a weird angle (close and angle:6) so that it might add to the difficulty.

One thing I really like about WE9LE is that it feels like the positioning and the flow of the game are correct in the way it uses the width and the length of the pitch. The compression and the decompression of the line feels good. Defense synchro when they play the offside line is something modern game should have a look at. In comparison, each time I try PES6 or PES2008 (PCSX2 version) I feel like everything is channeled through out the center of the pitch and defense are sitting very deep even if set up with high line tactics. Both feels way more end to end to me, but may be I am missing something. As for PES3, I didn't really gave it a proper recent go, since it is probably the footy game I played the more in the Era it was released on PS2.

I always play PES/WE with the most zoomed out camera. I never really tried those close cameras. It might be interesting to try. I agree about default PES 6 and 2008, i don't particularly like these two games, even though i played for years PES6, before rediscovering the others PS2 PES.

@fmicablues7 I am actually a player camera user for a bit more than one year now. I love to see the pitch the way players do (and as I did when I was a low low level league player years ago before my knees troubles (You don't need to be a pro to get pro injuries)). But with those old school game, an this is for my own sanity, I can't use the player camera. Also the vertical camera which I tend to use more lately with recent PES do not switch its direction at half time in those old games.
I am getting an happy balance with the close camera or broadcast close cameras. You have to focus on what is happening around the ball and if you want to have insight from what I happening further away you have to look at the radar (at the cost of not being 100% available for what is happening around the ball). It is pretty much like if you had to raise your head to look for your partners position while the ball is at your feet. It is not to everyone liking for sure.

@papinho81 I do prefer too zoomed in cameras.. I think we are a rarity, as most of the people seem to play with far ones, but to me it is way more immersive to be near the action, I personally don't get half the satisfaction in scoring or even fighting for a ball in area if I have to look at the action from so far away, and as you said radar does the tactical/vision job just fine... Plus, I played with something similar to the normal medium (which is my absolute favourite one) for all my gaming life.. can't change now, even if I love too broadcasts ones and switch for that from time to time (in the past there was a good variety with three choices, nowadays on default it's just that one that would be perfect without those awful zoom ins on Pes, and the Fifa one which I don't like at all).

Yeah it´s been reported year after year that PES broadcast cam without zooms would be perfect, but they just like to keep doing stuff against us, don´t they?

@papinho81 I do prefer too zoomed in cameras.. I think we are a rarity, as most of the people seem to play with far ones, but to me it is way more immersive to be near the action, I personally don't get half the satisfaction in scoring or even fighting for a ball in area if I have to look at the action from so far away, and as you said radar does the tactical/vision job just fine... Plus, I played with something similar to the normal medium (which is my absolute favourite one) for all my gaming life.. can't change now, even if I love too broadcasts ones and switch for that from time to time (in the past there was a good variety with three choices, nowadays on default it's just that one that would be perfect without those awful zoom ins on Pes, and the Fifa one which I don't like at all).
I play a zoomed one on 13 easier to defend.
And a broadcast style on 17.
I can't play on a high cam,like blimp cam etc.
Spoils the immersion

Back
Top Bottom