The Euro 2020 Thread

I agree with my compatriot (and fellow Spurs fan) that Denmark deserved a point (at least) in that game against Belgium. Both our goals were class however, perhaps the two best goals of the tournament (Schick's goal was amazing, but this was fabulous team play, perhaps the third Portugese goal was even better).It's obvious now that we will not win the tournament (thought so all along). Our defense is getting old. Jan Vertonghen is my favourite player, but Jan is getting slow and rather immobile. The fast that he struggled against Braithwaithe is not good. Imagine our defense against Mbappé. The only younger player that could have fiited in that defense is Zinho Van Heusden, but he is just back from a major injury. I understand why Martinze did not select him.

I'm afraid we will be out of the tournament after the group stage. This golden generation was great to watch and the fact that we did not win silverware is a pity, but we should be proud of them, for such a tiny minuscule country we beat giants like Brazil, Russia and other very good teams of big countries and that with very attractive football....
still, Yarmolenko's goal is my favorite... unrivaled for now, imo!

Today's predictions
Sweden 2 Slovakia 1
Croatia 1 Czech Rep 0
England 1 Scotland 1

Let's see how wrong this turns out to be. :BLEH::D

I wonder what media and public reaction to Schick's goal is like in The Czech Republic?

With the way they overplay Gazza's goal against Scotland in this tournament like it's the highest point of Euro '96 and the way they are talking about Phillips like he's Zidane after 1 game against sub par opposition, I feel if Harry Kane scored that goal the media would act like it was the greatest thing since the big bang and they'd erect a statute of him at Windsor Castle.

No highlights so more time to show Gazza's mis-hit I guess.
Hey. I saw this on Twitter and that was bad enough. Don't tempt me. Do not tempt me.
p0kAzeB.png

Hey. I saw this on Twitter and that was bad enough. Don't tempt me. Do not tempt me.
p0kAzeB.png

Bring it on. No way he means to hit it as far down the foot as he does. Catches his toes which keeps it low. No-one deliberately hits volleys like that apart from shite five a side players like me. 😄

It's not just the England-Scotland thing, I feel the same way about Bergkamp vs Newcastle (didn't mean it) and Messi's solo goal at Bernabeu (Ramos own goal). Long-standing, niche bees in my bonnet.

Bring it on. No way he means to hit it as far down the foot as he does. Catches his toes which keeps it low. No-one deliberately hits volleys like that apart from shite five a side players like me. 😄

It's not just the England-Scotland thing, I feel the same way about Bergkamp vs Newcastle (didn't mean it) and Messi's solo goal at Bernabeu (Ramos own goal). Long-standing, niche bees in my bonnet.
The Bergkamp goal too??

I don't have the words. Football has been insulted here today.

The Bergkamp goal too??

I don't have the words. Football has been insulted here today.

Sometimes the truth hurts, Chris. Bergkamp is pretty much my favourite ever player too. I'm harsh, but fair.

-----

Not sure what to make of that pen decision. You get your arms up for momentum but that much...

Last edited:
Not sure what to make of that pen decision. You get your arms up for momentum but that much...
1,000% shouldn't be a penalty for me. If it is by the current rules, then the current rules are shit, to be blunt.

That VAR got involved, in something that's neither clear nor obvious, is what pisses me off the most.

England-Scotland under the rain. Sounds like some kind of archetypal football shit here!

Awful. Takes Foden off rather than the out of form and doing little Sterling, also to put Sterling on the right where he doesn't like playing rather than bringing Sancho on to play there, where coincidentally he plays. Then takes Kane off (fair enough he was awful too) but brings on another way out of form player in Rashford to play up front where he doesn't play, while leaving Calvert-Lewin on the bench.

All that aside, we were poor, pedestrian in our passing and it looked like Southgate had settled for the draw after an hour. It also showed once again just how over rated our players really are.

Scotland on the other had everything we didn't, a passion to fight, battle and give everything. It says it all that they are probably disappointed to only come away with a point. Genuinely hope they beat Croatia and get through in third, the least they deserve after their two performances so far.

With Southgate's luck we'll probably lose to the Czech's to come second in the group and get an easier path in the knockout stage again.

Awful. Takes Foden off rather than the out of form and doing little Sterling, also to put Sterling on the right where he doesn't like playing rather than bringing Sancho on to play there, where coincidentally he plays. Then takes Kane off (fair enough he was awful too) but brings on another way out of form player in Rashford to play up front where he doesn't play, while leaving Calvert-Lewin on the bench.

All that aside, we were poor, pedestrian in our passing and it looked like Southgate had settled for the draw after an hour. It also showed once again just how over rated our players really are.

Scotland on the other had everything we didn't, a passion to fight, battle and give everything. It says it all that they are probably disappointed to only come away with a point. Genuinely hope they beat Croatia and get through in third, the least they deserve after their two performances so far.

With Southgate's luck we'll probably lose to the Czech's to come second in the group and get an easier path in the knockout stage again.
Yeah the subs were mystifying especially Sterling. Yes he was the match winner on MD1 but the situation had changed for this game and he wasn't effective.

I feel like, as with most modern football, It's emphasis on possession football at all costs. Which means when players are in dangerous shooting areas and crossing positions, the momentum fizzles out because they're looking for another pass.

I wish players would take the selfish gamble once in a while, try something imaginative and have the balls to have a little impulsive creativity.

Results for both teams right?
England through,and Scotland have a fighting chance,playing Croatia in their last game.

Though they (England) needs an extra gear when the playoffs starts,this performance Vs France/Germany/Portugal/Italy won't cut it right?

Well I didn't expect England to be as shite. More than bridged the quality gap with organisation and determination.

Gilmour was outstanding. Was stunned when he came off but Armstrong and his sexy hair played well too after coming on. Everyone in blue did.

Scotland set a bar tonight. Match it against Croatia and a result isn't impossible.

Results for both teams right?
England through,and Scotland have a fighting chance,playing Croatia in their last game.

Though they (England) needs an extra gear when the playoffs starts,this performance Vs France/Germany/Portugal/Italy won't cut it right?

England will look better against better opposition even with this type of performance. All their long balls into Sterling, Foden & later Rashford will get them some nice chances if their opponents offer some space in behind. Their build-up sucked but everyone will be scared of their fast forwards.

England will look better against better opposition even with this type of performance. All their long balls into Sterling, Foden & later Rashford will get them some nice chances if their opponents offer some space in behind. Their build-up sucked but everyone will be scared of their fast forwards.
Can't see them pass Italy or France tbh.
Don't really see the quality.
Maybe they'll grow in to the tournament?
Who knows,don't have them as a top four nation though

Can't see them pass Italy or France tbh.
Don't really see the quality.
Maybe they'll grow in to the tournament?
Who knows,don't have them as a top four nation though
Well they struggled for goals at Euro 2016 because of unproductive build up and look how far that got them. Other than luck on our side against Wales, None of England's goals came from open play and we panicking in deep water against Iceland once they took the lead.

Well they struggled for goals at Euro 2016 because of unproductive build up and look how far that got them. Other than luck on our side against Wales, None of England's goals came from open play and we panicking in deep water against Iceland once they took the lead.
Could they play different?
Other players from start?
Grealish/Rashford that kid from BVB, Sancho? (I think)

Last edited:
Last nights game was an absolute shit show! Fair play to Stevie Clarke for getting his tactics spot on, i always knew it was never going to be easy, that's why i predicted a draw, and not be carried away on the false "good solid" mantra from the Croatia game.

Southgate was well found out last night. Head scratching substitutions as you lot have already mentioned, as ever England had no plan b.

Did anyone notice the moment when Grealish had the ball at his feet in the box, and Scotland surrounded him but would not commit to sticking a foot in. That showed good discipline.

However i am fed up with players (especially strikers and wingers) not taking on the last line of defence, but opting for a pass, to ensure possession.

Football is less exciting when this happens. I mean, why not take him on as opposed to playing another ten or so passes then lumping the ball forward..then losing possession? Some games are more comparable to a game of chess nowadays. Which i suppose isn't a bad thing if you're playing a school chess club player named Southgate. :))

At no point last night did he look to go for the win, he had 5 subs available and used only 2. Also why on earth did we have 2 goalkeepers on the bench? Really? Did I miss some injuries, or did he really leave 3 outfield players out to include an extra keeper on the bench.

Football is less exciting when this happens. I mean, why not take him on as opposed to playing another ten or so passes then lumping the ball forward..then losing possession? Some games are more comparable to a game of chess nowadays. Which i suppose isn't a bad thing if you're playing a school chess club player named Southgate. :))

That drives me mad too, we have the pace in our wide players to take on defenders but they rarely do it. Foden, Mount and Grealish are the only players that usually look to drive forward when they have the ball either by taking a player on or with one-two's. Sterling has the pace to go past a defender but rarely does and his ball control is awful for a supposed top class player. Again last night a ball over the top from Mount was miscontrolled when he was effectively in on goal. He did the same in the pre tournament friendlies, was it Austria(?) from a long ball from I think Phillips and a bad first touch ended any chance.

The other thing that drives me mad in modern football is the times a team has a throw-in up with the opponent's penalty area and within two passes it's back with a centre back. Yes the other team can't score if they don't have the ball, but neither can you if you're fucking around with it in midfield!

If you think about it as well, most of our goals in 2018 weren't from open play either. We scored 3 goals from open play out of 12 in 6 games. Yes they all count of course but it shows that lack of creativity isn't something new either. We would appear to have the players, but for me, not the manager to utilise them. All our best players are attack minded, even our full backs and we have a cautious manager in charge of them.

Back
Top Bottom