The Euro 2020 Thread

For a moment, I thought it was but a bad dream :SHAKE:And Gervinho gone too, what about my man Bruno Alves? The next PES better have Serie B so I can take Parma back to glory.

And before I go further off topic, like I said, Italians rolling on grass, not unexpected, Italians defending well, even less, it's the goals! Free scoring Italy should be a major worry for all the other teams.

Well clearly football wise, from what I have seen so far.

The most complete team I have seen so far is Italy, always according to my football taste. Not boring football, defense is not the #1 focus, they show pieces of Atalanta and Sassuolo mentality which I love.

On the other hand, France NT looks as the favorite team, being the incarnation of Modern Football itself. No classic No10 playmaker, everyone is pressing like crazy, quick counters with fitness players.

The Dutch team is the less talented Holland team I remember since the 1998 WC, when I started rooting for them in National competitions.

Spain got a lot harsh, cause tiki-taka without a Xavi and an Iniesta seems quite ineffective.

Germany looks to be in a transition, but not knowing where to go.

The big disappointments for me are Wales, Scotland, Turkey, Swiss. Expected one of them to be like Wales of 2016, but they all performed like they are very tired (they are indeed).

And something unpopular
The best match I have seen so far, that was the football I like to watch, always personal taste, was Poland VS Slovakia. The 1st half performance of Slovakia and 2nd half of Poland gave me so much joy, it was like a football match with 90's vibes. Technically gifted wingers with decent speed and dribbling, original No9 strikers, it was football as I loved it back in the days.

Unfortunately, Of course since we live in the era of modern football, such naive approach cannot lead you further than the 1st knockout round.

Special credit to Denmark, who started promising, BUT after the Eriksen incident, as it makes 10000% human sense, everything goes in second priority, tactics, objectives, trophies, cups, money, etc. I can sympathize with Denmark players, and if I was one of them, my only thought would be, let's play the 2 remaining damn matches and go back home, safe & healthy to take some rest, physically and mentally wise.

Last edited:
Apparently Lukaku said that they will kick the ball out of play after 10 mins in the Denmark - Belgium game and have a minute's applause for Eriksen. That's a touching gesture.

Won't be as touching when they kick Denmark out of the tournament

Nah just taking the piss... and I suppose it has to be possible for some teams to advance with a single win, in this 24 to 16 team system.

Won't be as touching when they kick Denmark out of the tournament

Nah just taking the piss... and I suppose it has to be possible for some teams to advance with a single win, in this 24 to 16 team system.
sure this can happen! best placed 3rd's advance as well!
i think its even possible to advance with 1 point, if your goal difference is more positive than others! :D

Doesn't matter anymore of course, but am I the only one who sees the penalty for Wales as a clear dive from Bale? He took off and then hits the defenders leg. No way he tried to get past him with the ball. I can't help it, but in my perception of football scenes likes these are just lousy cheating.

Totally agree, dived before he ever got to the player and made contact with his leg. Really hate that type of play, it's one thing to fall over an outstretched leg but to actually move your leg to make sure it hits it is, as you put it, lousy cheating. First player I saw do this was Vardy 3-4 years ago and he's done it a few times.

Apparently Lukaku said that they will kick the ball out of play after 10 mins in the Denmark - Belgium game and have a minute's applause for Eriksen. That's a touching gesture.

He's really just trying to get an early excuse in for a bad first touch :D Nice gesture though.

Denmark playing with a lot of intensity but they might crash and burn if they try to keep it up.

Gutted for Denmark, but Belgium's class showed as the game wore on. I went mental when Denmark scored, and they should have their heads held high. Hopefully they can beat Russia in the third, to at least end their tournament on a positive note.

Both the Danes and Turkey were my dark horses for the tournament, and while Denmark's downfall is understandable, Turkey have just imploded!

I think we had our first controversial VAR decision during the Ukraine - North Macedonia game, (although as nice as the buildup was, I don't think Ronaldo's second goal vs Hungary should've counted) with the penalty given to Ukraine, but justice was done with the penalty save.

As a Belgian I seriously apologise for taking three points against Denmark, not saying this because of what happened, but Denmark showed real quality in the first half and makes it clear to me that this Belgian side won't even reach the semi finals in this EURO tournament

Game should have ended as a draw and even this would have been a flattered result for us

Martinez out

My PSV boys combining for the goal :BOP:

Lukaku has been amazing. Class act from De Bruyne to not celebrate.

I thought Spain was very good against an also very good Swedish Defense. They had enough chances to score, an xG of 2.5. or so IIRC.

I did not follow Madrid or Tottenham the last few years, quite suprised Bale has become this classic no. 10 with a magic left foot.

Heard a German podcaster say the 1st Locatelli goal reminded him of Schweinsteiger (who's a tv analyst for the Euros and praised the goal) and indeed, classic 2008 Schweinsteiger-Podolski-Schweinsteiger goal.

I'm making Euro tactics for my WE9LE OF, will post an update later tonight.

Some major issues I guess,his shit show Vs Macedonia and using all sorts of racist bs should have him out of the team,by the team

Yeah. Even way back when he was at Stoke he was exactly the same.

I noticed when he initially came on as sub that Alioski said something to him and they had a go at each other then.

Excuses all the time… and im so sick of it!
Your are not racist by accident! You are not insulting by accident! You are not making a fool outa somebody by accident!
And when it happens multiple times, someone’s gotta take action!

Fair Play! Always play fair first!

I agree with my compatriot (and fellow Spurs fan) that Denmark deserved a point (at least) in that game against Belgium. Both our goals were class however, perhaps the two best goals of the tournament (Schick's goal was amazing, but this was fabulous team play, perhaps the third Portugese goal was even better).It's obvious now that we will not win the tournament (thought so all along). Our defense is getting old. Jan Vertonghen is my favourite player, but Jan is getting slow and rather immobile. The fast that he struggled against Braithwaithe is not good. Imagine our defense against Mbappé. The only younger player that could have fiited in that defense is Zinho Van Heusden, but he is just back from a major injury. I understand why Martinze did not select him.

I'm afraid we will be out of the tournament after the group stage. This golden generation was great to watch and the fact that we did not win silverware is a pity, but we should be proud of them, for such a tiny minuscule country we beat giants like Brazil, Russia and other very good teams of big countries and that with very attractive football....

Back
Top Bottom