The Euro 2020 Thread

France should steamroll Hungary today.
Germany v Portugal should be a close one,though I have Portugal as favourites

Sterling has the pace to go past a defender but rarely does and his ball control is awful for a supposed top class player. Again last night a ball over the top from Mount was miscontrolled when he was effectively in on goal. He did the same in the pre tournament friendlies, was it Austria(?) from a long ball from I think Phillips and a bad first touch ended any chance.

If you think about it as well, most of our goals in 2018 weren't from open play either. We scored 3 goals from open play out of 12 in 6 games. Yes they all count of course but it shows that lack of creativity isn't something new either. We would appear to have the players, but for me, not the manager to utilise them. All our best players are attack minded, even our full backs and we have a cautious manager in charge of them.
Sterling was like this at World Cup too, And I remember when there was calls to replace him with Rashford, Southgate explained he opts for Sterling because he was better at holding onto the ball which makes sense when you think about Southgate's anticlimactic possession based strategy.

I was surprised Sterling scored against Croatia, was certain he was going to hold on to it and either try and round the the keeper or some shit.

And yeah you're right about our goals in WC 2018. I think Euro 2004 was probably England's most promising goal scoring form to be fair, Other than France, They scored more than 1 goal in every game but also Football was a lot more exciting and dynamic back then.

France should be 3-0 up if they only could finish better
Though Hungary is putting up a fight,good game so far.
Edit:ooops, didn't see that coming

Last edited:
Hungary fully deserved that point, their fans are incredible

As for last night's match, it was probably the most stereotypical Braveheart Scottish performance, the players, in particular Hanley and Robertson knew the magnitude of the fixture they were playing in.

Yeah Hungary really deserved that result, although of course France missed great chances in the first half. What I really liked about Hungary in this game and the one against Portugal was that they really committed to every counter attack and also passed it about well when they had it. I thought they were very unfortunate to lose to Portugal, let alone by 3. Would have been really interesting to see them in a fairer group for them, that said who is to say they can't beat Germany next?

Fantastic crowd as well, so great to see a proper crowd at a match again.

792E2EAE-7682-4571-9AD7-BBCB0E4D4153.jpeg

Life is getting back to normal. I head out, on this sunny Saturday, towards one of the restaurants already open...
Brought my gear just in case no screens were around and I’m having a good first half now! What a comeback!! Go on Germany!! 👍

Edit:

Goooooooaaaaaaaaalasoooooooo.... again and again!!! 👏😂

Gooooooooosens!!! 👏👏👏😂😂😂

Last edited:
Morata seems to have recaptured his Chelsea form anyway. Banjo and cow's arse spring to mind.

Another lackluster performance from the Spanish, Enrqiue's baffling decision to leave out Thiago (tonight) and Ramos (altogether) backfired. They desperately need a Torres/David Villa/Raul upfront. Happy for the Polish though.

The Germans looked reborn today, could Gosens be the successor to Lahm that Hector wasn't? Uncharacteristically awful defending from Portugal, although the first goal was excellent. Bruno Fernandes was very quiet today.

I think the Hungarians are using all the underestimation they've gotten beforehand as motivation, they played out of their skins today, I could sense their pain when Griezmann scored. It will be an intense last matchday, it's a shame the Hungarians won't be playing in Budapest.

lol Portugal :LOL:.
Either Semedo, the coach or the RMF (Silva/Silva) deciding that "no, absolutely no need to defend our right wing. They have this attacking LWB but let's keep all our defenders centrally, he won't harm us at all" and sticking with it the whole match.............
Every goal went through a wide open Gosens......

Bruno Fernandes was very quiet today.

I've not seen Portugal play recently other than this tournament so I don't know how well he usually plays for them but it seems he is intimidated by Ronaldo's presence perhaps? I mean with United he is clearly the leader, everything goes through him, but with Portugal he just seems (in these two games anyway) more of a bit part player. Having said that he did seem to lose his form a bit at the end of last season and he has been playing every single game for 18 months now as well.

Every goal went through a wide open Gosens......

Even the disallowed one as well!

Back
Top Bottom