The Euro 2020 Thread

Well that was survival of the fittest! A cruel way to go out. Unlucky Ricky :((

Maybe I'm going to go against the grain here but I think that red card was harsh. Awful collision and looked horrible but I fail to see what Danielsen could have done about it. Whether it was or not refs should not be reviewing it in slow motion.

Maybe I'm going to go against the grain here but I think that red card was harsh. Awful collision and looked horrible but I fail to see what Danielsen could have done about it. Whether it was or not refs should not be reviewing it in slow motion.
He only saw the ball... pore knee though, ouch.

With normal attendence this would be a different match.

What a relief for Southgate earlier, a huge weight off his shoulders personally and I don't even like England.

Obviously, the fans at Wembley were so up for it, but the English clearly wanted it more, it meant more to them, (the same for Scotland against England) to banish the demons of the past. The Germans looked stunned, you know something massive has happened at Wembley when the main camera itself starts shaking after a goal. A huge relief for Kane with his goal, Sterling silencing the critics again and Maguire was so fired up for it.

While that match was undeniably tense, the extra time drama picked up from where it left off yesterday in the Sweden vs Ukraine match. Almost everyone went through the wars in extra time, and while I don't think Danielsson intended to foul Besedin, it looked pretty gruesome.

Muller didnt really got on well with the Chelseay boys up front.
He looked off.
You basicly played a away match (85 % english support?) at wembley.
With a coach who doesn't seem to inspire much...
Sleep well.
(Jurjen Klopp)

Last edited:
Bad luck to Sweden, what a cruel way to go out, first lose a man for clearing a ball then with a minute of stoppage time left concede!
No way was that a red card, a bad accidental collision, that's all.
Also at one time a Ukraine player was yellow carded for a Swedish player pulling on him. :CONFUSE: I thought the officials wasn't the best in this game.

@rockstrongo Bad luck mate.

Dutch pundits were saying it was weird for you to play without a real number 9
Its like you played a away game without a plan B in mind...
(Muller is used to play around Lewandowski and then find spaces)
There were some german fans first row but I could only hear the english...
Imo the english were playing kick and rush 20.21 forcing you to be creative but you looked clueless up front.

Last edited:
Bad luck to Sweden, what a cruel way to go out, first lose a man for clearing a ball then with a minute of stoppage time left concede!
No way was that a red card, a bad accidental collision, that's all.
Also at one time a Ukraine player was yellow carded for a Swedish player pulling on him. :CONFUSE: I thought the officials wasn't the best in this game.

@rockstrongo Bad luck mate.
Cheers Buzzy.
I think they need to be consistent,the red card fine,if it was a challenge on his leg,or even as it stood,a clearing gone wrong,that's fine,VAR checked it.
Red card,because a player is responsible for his own actions/body.
Then there was that situation in OT where the Ukraine player knocked Berg out cold,accident as well,no VAR check.
Should be judged exactly the same way,by VAR.

Yeah joke of a red.
Make sure you beat these [whatever] team.
And,oh hope Denmark gets properly knocked the fuck out.

Appreciate it Matt.
Yeah that red card was a bit weird,or the way it got judged,probably in Slo mo by the ref.
It's a red card ,yet it's not,equally in to the situation.

Yeah losing Vs them with a minute to go, especially after owning the second half was draining.
Doesn't help that Danielsson played for djurgården two seasons ago either:)

Beat these guys on Saturday Matt,all in on England for that game.

Cheers Buzzy.
I think they need to be consistent,the red card fine,if it was a challenge on his leg,or even as it stood,a clearing gone wrong,that's fine,VAR checked it.
Red card,because a player is responsible for his own actions/body.
Then there was that situation in OT where the Ukraine player knocked Berg out cold,accident as well,no VAR check.
Should be judged exactly the same way,by VAR.

Yeah joke of a red.
Make sure you beat these [whatever] team.
And,oh hope Denmark gets properly knocked the fuck out.

I hope denmark keeps doing what they're doing basicly replacing the dutch with the way they play.
Your team had good moments and a lot of chances I still feel with a little bit more athmosphere you would've scored at least ones.
Was a weird game. Don't take it too hard.

Needed a walk around the block to cool off after this one,never ever get emotional about the NT.
Weird as hell was really pissed off.
So if I offended/pissed someone off,i apologize.

Anyway met my neighbor going out,Danish of course,tons of them where I live.
His little "bad luck" was met by fuck off back to denmark (really mature right).

It's been a weird tournament ,so many powerhouses been knocked out,gotta be the weird seasons we've had.
Good luck all of you that are still in it,even Denmark:)

I hope denmark keeps doing what they're doing basicly replacing the dutch with the way they play.
Your team had good moments and a lot of chances I still feel with a little bit more athmosphere you would've scored at least ones.
Was a weird game. Don't take it too hard.
Yeah I know buddy,it'll blow over fast,we got league games this weekend,so it's back to the real football for me.

Yeah, Denmark plays very well,reminds me a lot,like you say,of Holland.
They have Switzerland right?
Or is it the czecs?

Well, however England has played / is playing - it doesnt matter as long as they keep winning.
We can ask @slamsoze , but I dont think that anyone was giving out about Greece play style when they came back home in 2004... :LOL:
Well if you mean that England conquering the Trophy being a sports miracle, i think you must wait another 7 years, cause according to the EUROs curse, a miracle happens every 12 years, 1992-Denmark, 2004-Greece, 2016-Portugal.
But even among the above, Denmark and Portugal are 10000% more possible to repeat something similar in the future. If Greece ever repeats , or even participating in knockout stage, none of us here will be alive to watch it, own eyes!

Jokes aside, the remaining God-Tier NT teams are Italy, Spain, Belgium, England. Regarding that Italy-VS Belgium- VS Spain??? , 2 of the 3 teams will be eliminated among them, chances are more than 25% by now!

Last edited:
Given the gruelling match last night for Ukraine and the toll that will take on them I think it would make sense for England to make a few changes on Saturday. There's several that could be made without weakening the team at all. James and Chilwell could come in at FB and do equally well, could swap the two in midfield for Henderson and Bellingham, Grealish and Foden/Sancho for Sterling and Saka, Calvert-Lewin for Kane etc, any 'few' of those wouldn't really make much difference to the strength of the team and whilst not dismissing Ukraine in any way would leave Southgate's 'first team' fresh and fit for a potentially much tougher test against Denmark should they get through.

Of course with this tournament we could also easily be out by saturday night! :LOL:

Hi endo, not very lucky for your player, who was taken off, i hope he is going to be OK. Knee injury's like that can end a players career.
Anyway mate, see you in Rome on saturday :D all the best.
Hi mate.
It's a sport, I hope Besedin will be ok.
We do whatever it takes to make worthy, see you in Rome, mate.

Given the gruelling match last night for Ukraine and the toll that will take on them I think it would make sense for England to make a few changes on Saturday. There's several that could be made without weakening the team at all. James and Chilwell could come in at FB and do equally well, could swap the two in midfield for Henderson and Bellingham, Grealish and Foden/Sancho for Sterling and Saka, Calvert-Lewin for Kane etc, any 'few' of those wouldn't really make much difference to the strength of the team and whilst not dismissing Ukraine in any way would leave Southgate's 'first team' fresh and fit for a potentially much tougher test against Denmark should they get through.

Of course with this tournament we could also easily be out by saturday night! :LOL:
While it certainly should be taken into consideration the toll extra time can take on players, It's not always a handicap. Last World Cup everyone over here was led to believe Croatia would be softened up before our semi final due to playing extra time, twice in a row before facing England, Only for them to seemingly grow stronger as the semi final aged and England actually looked weaker.

Most of that class of 2018 are present here and i'd like to think they've grown mentally and physically stronger since then too as well as of course experienced so that also must count for something but I think our fans for the most part still haven't learned their lesson in humility and to respect our opponents as many seem to think a Semi final spot is a guarantee because it's "only Ukraine" 🙄

but I think our fans for the most part still haven't learned their lesson in humility and to respect our opponents as many seem to think a Semi final spot is a guarantee because it's "only Ukraine" 🙄

Yeah you'd think we won the tournament last night with some of the reactions. You only need to look as far as the France and Spain games to see that no match is a foregone conclusion. Football would be pretty boring if that was the case.

While it certainly should be taken into consideration the toll extra time can take on players, It's not always a handicap. Last World Cup everyone over here was led to believe Croatia would be softened up before our semi final due to playing extra time, twice in a row before facing England, Only for them to seemingly grow stronger as the semi final aged and England actually looked weaker.
Most of that class of 2018 are present here and i'd like to think they've grown mentally and physically stronger since then too as well as of course experienced so that also must count for something but I think our fans for the most part still haven't learned their lesson in humility and to respect our opponents as many seem to think a Semi final spot is a guarantee because it's "only Ukraine" 🙄
That's a good point. I would imagine as well in the short term, this would benefit a team, as to keeping their fitness and stamina levels at a high bar.

As for Ukraine, most of us know there is no easy games, anything can change a game, a sending off/penalty ect. Imagine yesterday if Muller had took his chance better, the game would have been 1-1 and could have changed the outcome. But you will always get people who get carried along with the hype.
Don't get me wrong, we have a great chance, but nothing is granted. Remember in the group stages of euro 2000 when we beat Germany 1-0. The nation was tripping again, only to see us turned over 3-2 against Romania and home we trotted.

However when you look at England's defensive record in this tournament it is second to none. All the teams (except the Scot's) who we have faced have/had been scoring plenty of goals against other defences. Also in the Scotland game, had Stones not hit the post and scored, England would have a 100% record. It's good. but we still have a lot of football to play if we are to progress.

Last edited:
Yeah I wouldn't count Ukraine out at all I can see it being a tough tough match for England and we must not forget they are being led one of the greatest Milan strikers, Shevchenko. He has really managed this squad well this tournament.
They played only "away"matches I believe. The way they hang back to then seamlessly search the attack and press the opponent is pretty impressive.
They look versatile yet realistic and all players commit.

Last edited:
Yeah you'd think we won the tournament last night with some of the reactions. You only need to look as far as the France and Spain games to see that no match is a foregone conclusion. Football would be pretty boring if that was the case.
Yeah I mean don't get me wrong, It felt like a triumph to a point because we can never overcome the elite teams in tournaments so it rightfully felt like a huge milestone had been reached. Our fans and media might not treat them like it, but with the lack of achievement over all these decades, we are more like underdogs. I think the England sides expectations every tournament are juxtaposed by the reputation of their domestic league.

Surely with the best league in the world we should have the best nation in the world. Well it's only really in the last 10 years or less have the FA repaired England's fractured home grown developmental programs and it's only just flourishing.
That's a good point. I would imagine as well in the short term, this would benefit a team, as to keeping their fitness and stamina levels at a high bar.

As for Ukraine, most of us know there is no easy games, anything can change a game, a sending off/penalty ect. Imagine yesterday if Muller had took his chance better, the game would have been 1-1 and could have changed the outcome. But you will always get people who get carried along with the hype.
Don't get me wrong, we have a great chance, but nothing is granted. Remember in the group stages of euro 2000 when we beat Germany 1-0. The nation was tripping again, only to see us turned over 3-2 against Romania and home we trotted.

However when you look at England's defensive record in this tournament it is second to none. All the teams (except the Scot's) who we have faced have/had been scoring plenty of goals against other defences. Also in the Scotland game, had Stones not hit the post and scored, England would have a 100% record. It's good. but we still have a lot of football to play if we are to progress.
Absolutely. I felt like a right smart arse in the pub when everyone was signing for about 5 minutes after the first goal as if their was no longer a game on Germany's hands. I sat their very tense saying to my friend, Not only are you most vulnerable after you score but these are the worst moments especially in this tournament we have learned, to be cock sure of anything.

And I've been critical of Southgate's possession at all costs strategy because England lost crucial games in the Nations League due to that back passing bullshit and I just knew it was going to happen to us at some point. We dodged a bullet and it could have completely deflated us. Lampard's phantom goal in 2010 could've changed that game too for all we know, who knows.

If Sterling HAD to lost the ball, I'd rather he lost it trying to get another goal rather than losing it for no other reason.
Looks like England has become extremely optimistic, let's see what happened the last time they were:

This commentator became a legend after this:D

I doubt England have anybody now that is as not-arsed to defend as Rooney is in the first goal, though.
Haha to be fair, other than the Wales game which was much like the Germany euphoria and pride last night in that tournament, England were completely fecal in Euro 2016. Kane on corners, Hart's paper hands and nobody communicating on that team, playing their own game with their heads down watching their feet. A complete disaster.

Back
Top Bottom