The Euro 2020 Thread

Absolutely. I felt like a right smart arse in the pub when everyone was signing for about 5 minutes after the first goal as if their was no longer a game on Germany's hands. I sat their very tense saying to my friend, Not only are you most vulnerable after you score but these are the worst moments especially in this tournament we have learned, to be cock sure of anything.
I remember him bearing down on our goal & was Sh**tin myself, i really thought that was going to be the equaliser. PHEW! :LOL:

Also spot on about the cock sure thing, if you meant to add NOT in there. :D

EDIT @mattmid @Chris Davies @MafiaMurderBag @superleeds1 @Hawke

Is it coming home? :D HaHa

Last edited:
Finally caught up with myself after last night. About 20 seconds before Ukraine scored I said to my brother: "I hope we get the pens up at this end of the pitch, or a Sweden winner up this end at least."

Jinxed it. Although part of me is glad there were no penalties. Got back at 3.30am as it was!

Thoroughly enjoyed myself despite the restrictions, which - funnily enough - went out the window at full time. Everybody left at once, crammed onto the pavements and onto the trains. Some really, really glum Swedish faces which was sad to see. Leaving Hampden with a face like thunder? As an Aberdeen fan that's usually my job.

Tactically I think Sweden lost the game because Forsberg moved centrally. I'm not sure whether that was an order or he took it upon himself to be more involved but Ekdal and Olsson were doing a fine job in there as it was. Extra time was a tough watch. I'm torn over the red card. Slow motion is not its friend, it looked horrible and a potential career ender. But at the end of the day it was barely a challenge but an act of kicking the ball. It was bizarre how the player and medic refused a stretcher and he hobbled around the pitch. Despite me wanting Sweden to win it was nice to see the euphoria among the Ukraine fans and team. I just liked seeing people happy. I've missed it. I've missed it being me, more accurately, but it was nice to witness it in any capacity.

As a Scot I will apologise for inflicting Hampden upon the tournament. A piece of shit stadium. The third best in Glasgow alone. You struggle to get an atmosphere even without the reduced crowd. Thankfully it hosts no further games.

I have matters outstanding with @slamsoze and @Chris Davies from days ago regarding the Scotland/England rivalry, so I'll cover it now while my tea brews. I'd say, from my social circles, almost everyone without exception wants to see England fail as spectacularly as possible. The main reason given is a variant of "we'll never hear the end of it". This doesn't really wash with me though as, firstly, we live in an age where you can pick and choose your media consumption like never before. Also, most of the fanatical England content is brought into your world by Scottish people moaning about it, using exceptions to prove the rule, like the odd talkSPORT mouthpieces or a single sentence uttered from an otherwise diplomatic pundit. I'm generally ambivalent, but on the mere sight of your typical meathead patio chair-throwing England fan I get well and truly triggered.

Sorry mum.

Surely with the best league in the world we should have the best nation in the world. Well it's only really in the last 10 years or less have the FA repaired England's fractured home grown developmental programs and it's only just flourishing.

This is what I keep saying, I think I may have posted it here the other week in fact but imagine that for the sake of argument Italy was once again the best league how many English players would actually get signed to play over there? Not an awful lot I don't think.

I think we suffered for years by England trying to play like a top Premier team but without having a De Bruyne, Silva type to make it all tick. Now we've gone full latter day Mourinho, which is at least working for now I guess :LOL:

As you say we do finally have some talent coming through - although also most of it is of an attacking nature with an abundance of wide players. I can't think of a top striker coming through. Brewster was well thought of but did next to nothing last season after leaving Liverpool, admittedly in a struggling side which no doubt didn't help. N'Ketiah has scored goals for fun for the U21's but has looked well short of being a top player when he gets games for Arsenal. Defensively again it's mainly wide players as the most promising are mostly attacking full backs. Midfield we have Bellingham. But a really promising playmaker/creative passer? I can't think of one.

Just had a check of our squad and those under 24 are

Essentially wide players: Rashford/Mount/Foden/Sancho/Saka FB Reece-James

That leaves Rice, 23, DM, Bellingham, CM and Ben White also 23 CB/DM/FB

Our young talent largely plays in the same few positions. Add Alexander-Arnold and again you have the same position as James.

I don't know if there's a reason for that, are players with talent these days having to become wide forwards because that flair player in the middle of the park is not catered for any more in modern football? Its all about power, pace and strength in the middle of the park? Don't know, just conjecture but it makes me wonder because all our talented ball players are pretty much wide men.

typical meathead patio chair-throwing Ingerlund fan

Corrected that for you :D

Last edited:
Corrected that for you :D

Yeah that's probably a pretty succinct way of putting it.

Ukraine vs England on Saturday? May the best team win.

Ukraine vs Ingerlund on Saturday?:

Ukraine 4-3 (AET) Ingerlund

Kane, 12'
Yarmolenko, 90+6'
Sterling, 101'
Grealish, 113'
Zinchenko, 120'
Yaremchuk, 120+3'
Yarmolenko, 120+6'.

Then somehow they get beaten on penalties as well.

Like in the World Cup 2018, England road to the final
red-carpet.jpg

Yeah that's probably a pretty succinct way of putting it.

Ukraine vs England on Saturday? May the best team win.

Ukraine vs Ingerlund on Saturday?:

Ukraine 4-3 (AET) Ingerlund

Kane, 12'
Yarmolenko, 90+6'
Sterling, 101'
Grealish, 113'
Zinchenko, 120'
Yaremchuk, 120+3'
Yarmolenko, 120+6'.

Then somehow they get beaten on penalties as well.
Haha, the 90 minutes sounds about right. Me and my mate had a prediction on the Germany game.

I predicted we'll take and early goal, fall apart and get tired and concede a late equaliser forcing us into a reluctant overtime only to slump and die there...

He predicted 0-0 and England to score winner in the 90th minute which was oddly specific but would've been the Hollywood ending.

I think England borrowed a bit of both predictions, While they scored very late in the game, They very nearly threw it away because of late day dreaming and a tired pass from Sterling which thankfully Muller must've did something to upset the footballing gods that day.

This time, more than any other, this time.....we'll get it right (Circa 1982) :COAT: But hey i'm optimistic, and why not, let's enjoy it. Whatever happens. Good luck to the remaining 8 teams.

This just popped up in my podcast suggestions, and I don't think anything else really encapsulates the feeling of being an England fan as well as this does.

I'd even (or especially) recommend England fans listen to it - just a great little "time capsule" moment.

Quickly Kevin 90s Football Podcast (Eng v Ger) - Google Podcasts

This was recorded by spectators at Wembley during the game - an English comedian called Josh Widdicombe, and his friends that he presents a podcast with, plus anyone they know who's near them.

The first 8:40 of it is just replays of all the final moments of previous defeats to Germany. Every one of them a punch in the gut to listen back to. Genuinely traumatic memories.

Then at 8:40 they start taking you through their day, and their feelings. Josh sums it up when he says "I've just realised when I nipped off for a piss that, in my head, we've already lost this - I was wondering if I'll still watch the rest of the Euros when we lose tonight".

There is no real belief in any of us - there's bravado from some but I don't think there's genuine belief. We feel this way every game, and we felt it more than ever against Germany - until the first goal went in, and then the emotion just came flooding out (as you can hear).

@PRO_TOO - this is why I said "let us have this one", even if the game could be described as almost a toss of a coin (both sides seemingly scared to take a risk - both sides showing about as much creativity as a cat with a Crayola). We are so used to losing to you guys, and so negative as a nation, that EVEN AS I WRITE THIS I still can't quite believe it.

...which is why it'll be a kick in the bollocks when Ukraine beat us 1-0 after Phil Foden gets sent off for grabbing someone by the throat after about 10 minutes. (We are the experts at imploding.)

But no matter what, we will always have that win, as a generation who have had none. No matter how skilfully (or not) it was achieved.

Last edited:
This just popped up in my podcast suggestions, and I don't think anything else really encapsulates the feeling of being an England fan as well as this does.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...TEtNjZlNy00NjU0LWIwZTItN2RiMzNlNDYxODdl?ep=14

This was recorded by spectators at Wembley during the game - an English comedian called Josh Widdicombe, and his friends that he presents a podcast with, plus anyone they know who's near them.

The first 8:40 of it is just replays of all the final moments of previous defeats to Germany. Every one of them a punch in the gut to listen back to. Genuinely traumatic memories.

Then at 8:40 they start taking you through their day, and their feelings. Josh sums it up when he says "I've just realised when I nipped off for a piss that, in my head, we've already lost this - I was wondering if I'll still watch the rest of the Euros when we lose tonight".

There is no real belief in any of us - there's bravado from some but I don't think there's genuine belief. We feel this way every game, and we felt it more than ever against Germany - until the first goal went in, and then the emotion just came flooding out (as you can hear).

@PRO_TOO - this is why I said "let us have this one", even if the game could be described as almost a toss of a coin (both sides seemingly scared to take a risk - both sides showing about as much creativity as a cat with a Crayola). We are so used to losing to you guys, and so negative as a nation, that EVEN AS I WRITE THIS I still can't quite believe it.

...which is why it'll be a kick in the bollocks when Ukraine beat us 1-0 after Phil Foden gets sent off for grabbing someone by the throat after about 10 minutes. (We are the experts at imploding.)

But no matter what, we will always have that win, as a generation who have had none. No matter how skilfully (or not) it was achieved.
i totally understand and wouldve felt the same, i guess!
its been decades for you guys... must have been a total relief! :) granted!

few hours later i'm much more calm about the whole thing. in the end it was just a result of whats happening since 2014! ^^
Flick + staff and the new team give me a lot of things to look forward to!

edit: i had that Southgate penal gif ready to be posted... maybe i jinxed it! :LOL:

That "recorded live" podcast ends on Southgate's quote from a BBC interview at the end of the game.

Listening to the quote again on its own, as a "package" if you like - I honestly find it moving. You feel like he can't still think about his penalty miss (the one that is burned into our minds and souls until we die), and that it must bear no relation to his work as manager, because he's a consumate professional.

You feel like he must have dealt with that time in his life, buried it and moved on to take a job like this. But then, he talks about his teammates from that time, and says "I can't change that" (for them) - and you can see the pain in his eyes, and you realise it will never go away for him. No matter what England may (or may not) achieve under him, he will always punish himself for that day.

This quote, along with the rousing ending (I say "rousing", we're all incredibly repressed :D)... Add it to the list of reasons why, despite him not playing Sancho for some reason, I have a newfound respect for him.

Well thankfully we don't have any man children like Rooney on the field to throw a tantrum as if it's his first experience in a football match where the opposition are trying to trigger him.

There's many moments at tournaments where we as England fans think "bugger, if that one thing didn't happen, it could all be different..." Beckham '98, Gazza's open goal in '96, Lampard's phantom goal in 2010 etc; But the one that I think fondly of is Portugal 2006, Rooney getting sent off for the most pointless and avoidable thing. He goes out his way to stamp on Carvalho's balls for the sake of losing an unimportant midfield encounter. We started so brightly in that game too.

Just listened to a podcast on euro 96.
It's a Swedish one,so I won't post links.
Fascinating times prior to it.
The conservative party lost (football haters ) Brit pop,a very "not clean" wheeler dealer in Venables,two full blown alcoholics in the squad Adams/Gazza (could have been three with Merson but he was in rehab) the game Vs Ireland in Dublin,a smashed up 747 jumbo jet etc etc.
And a new begining for English football (92-94 wasn't the greatest).

The podcast is called when we were kings,a certain player/team in a certain year is highlighted often in 2x3 hour episodes.
Brilliant stuff,pretty much binged all episodes (60-70)this year.

Last edited:
You feel like he must have dealt with that time in his life, buried it and moved on to take a job like this. But then, he talks about his teammates from that time, and says "I can't change that" (for them) - and you can see the pain in his eyes, and you realise it will never go away for him. No matter what England may (or may not) achieve under him, he will always punish himself for that day.

Whatever doubts I have about him as manager he is without doubt a genuinely nice and decent guy, the type that the world could do with more of in public positions.

I saw a you tube clip recently with Stuart Pearce and Teddy Sheringham at some venue or other being interviewed by Bradley Walsh, looked a fair few years old but amongst all the humour Walsh asked him a genuine question about his penalty miss and Pearce openly admitted he cried all the way back to the hotel on the coach. He of course got his redemption by scoring the next time but you could see that one still bothered him.

Penalty shoot outs are great entertainment for neutrals but hell if you're a fan of either team. I'm still not over the 1992 FA Cup semi final. :LOL:

That "recorded live" podcast ends on Southgate's quote from a BBC interview at the end of the game.

Listening to the quote again on its own, as a "package" if you like - I honestly find it moving. You feel like he can't still think about his penalty miss (the one that is burned into our minds and souls until we die), and that it must bear no relation to his work as manager, because he's a consumate professional.

This quote, along with the rousing ending (I say "rousing", we're all incredibly repressed :D)... Add it to the list of reasons why, despite him not playing Sancho for some reason, I have a newfound respect for him.

I love him. Always finds the right words and commands respect. I think he's wasted in frontline football.

Whatever doubts I have about him as manager he is without doubt a genuinely nice and decent guy, the type that the world could do with more of in public positions.
Not only that but it has a tremendous affect on player and staff morale too. Think about it from out perspective, we've all had jobs where we've had horrible, miserable bosses and we've had ones where are bosses are considerate, reasonable and positive and we all know who we'd rather work harder for.

The team probably wants to do someone like Southgate a service and because of his manner and approach probably commands a lot of respect from the squad.

One of the reasons England 2010 fell off a cliff was because Capello was famously a miserable shit with a cold and distant drill sergeant mentality who discouraged comradery and probably never knew how to have any fun in his life.

What should have been a dream experience for any player to go to a World Cup, experience the training camps, the brotherhood and what should feel like a football odyssey must've felt like a miserable excursion that they just wanted to get over with and go back home.

yeah!
its like when commercials on one channel are running and you switch to the other channel, just to notice they are running commercials too! :D
I tried and failed to watch the Copa America. Having seen games with crowds again, I can't go back!
Yeah basically this and the bad schedule.Being foreshadowed by EURO ,for us europeans, and running in almost identical matchdays,makes it difficult to consume two different products of the same genre.

I just try to catch up with news and highlights out of curiosity, if Messi will equalise C. Ronaldo in trophies with men's National Team.

Today's games are too difficult to predict, But like Flip said its nice to have some games today, I will be rooting for Switzerland and Belgium Today :RSCARF:

Today's games are too difficult to predict, But like Flip said its nice to have some games today, I will be rooting for Switzerland and Belgium Today :RSCARF:
i'm with Toblerone Land today! :RSCARF: lets see if they can manage to create another miracle!
for belgium vs. italy i'd put my money on italy! no favorite here!

i'm with Toblerone Land today! :RSCARF: lets see if they can manage to create another miracle!
for belgium vs. italy i'd put my money on italy! no favorite here!
My head tells me the same, and i assume KDB will be missing for the Belgians. But i would like to see them do well. TBH if England didn't win it, i would like to see Denmark\Belgium\Switzerland win it.

Can't support neither Belgium or Switzerland,two of Europe's most beige country's.
Famous for?
Fuck em both.

Back
Top Bottom