The Euro 2020 Thread

What happened with Kolbein Sightorsson?
He went to Nantes and played badly there, was also injured a lot, and there was some bad blood between him and the team. After that he has been kind of pinballing around different teams, done alright in Scandinavia, then he dips and does jack f*ck for a while, he was a hero in 2016 but it is actually remarkable he still has a spot in the national team, and says a lot about the state of forwards there, or maybe the lack of them (Alfreð Finnbogason is usually injured too).

Last edited:
During the next pandemic they'll use epstein island for playing tournaments.
Using toy airplanes to drop the matchball at kickoff.

Last edited:
He went to Nantes and played badly there, was also injured a lot, and there was some bad blood between him and the team. After that he has been kind of pinballing around different teams, done alright in Scandinavia, then he dips and does jack f*ck for a while, he was a hero in 2016 but it is actually remarkable he still has a spot in the national team, and says a lot about the state of forwards there, or maybe the lack of them (Albert Finnbogason is usually injured too).
And then suddenly you'll have a crazy tournament again as whole europe is still in your debt for stealing that haka.

Well Today's Game i really can't see past a Netherlands win, i feel they will have too much for the Czechs.

Tonight's game is going to be a closer affair but i think Belgium will just edge it.

What I've noticed, as mentioned by others before, linesmen delay a looooot time to react, or they just don't react at all.

I remember a header goal in group stage, cancelled by VAR as offside, France IIRC, the referee made sign with his hands, while the linesman, although was following the offside line, did not wave his flag.

It was so strange, cause referee was in straight line behind, it is impossible he could spot any offside, if the linesman couldn't.

And another question of mine, if linesman stays still, who calls the referee about the doubt, to check to VAR!! The 4th referee? The VAR control directorly? Like it happens with the commissioners in Basketball?

What I understand is, either UEFA gave them (linesmen) the direction, if they have doubts, to not take any action, or they just rest assured that VAR will find the truth either way, so they prefer to not take any decision.

I mean if you are a linesman and you flag offside, but VAR proves it was clear goal, you take a little psychological piss at the moment.

But if a controversial goal is scored, you just don't do anything, VAR canceles it and everyone is happy.

It is like the old saying, when you don't do completely anything, only then you are flawless, cause you can't make mistakes. :P

What I've noticed, as mentioned by others before, linesmen delay a looooot time to react, or they just don't react at all.

I remember a header goal in group stage, cancelled by VAR as offside, France IIRC, the referee made sign with his hands, while the linesman, although was following the offside line, did not wave his flag.

It was so strange, cause referee was in straight line behind, it is impossible he could spot any offside, if the linesman couldn't.

And another question of mine, if linesman stays still, who calls the referee about the doubt, to check to VAR!! The 4th referee? The VAR control directorly? Like it happens with the commissioners in Basketball?

What I understand is, either UEFA gave them (linesmen) the direction, if they have doubts, to not take any action, or they just rest assured that VAR will find the truth either way, so they prefer to not take any decision.

I mean if you are a linesman and you flag offside, but VAR proves it was clear goal, you take a little psychological piss at the moment.

But if a controversial goal is scored, you just don't do anything, VAR canceles it and everyone is happy.

It is like the old saying, when you don't do completely anything, only then you are flawless, cause you can't make mistakes. :P
They're told not to call the offside even if it's by a mile,VAR room calls it first,signals the refs to go ahead.
If the refs interfere,it might not stand if VAR checks it.
It happened in La liga,ref called a situation,var checked it but it stood as a no goal because the ref had call it.
This whole system is messed up for sure,sucking the fun out of it

So since everything seems to go VAR in the near future, and we won't t have the chance for similar debates again.

Question, special for the British and German people .

England vs West Germany ghost goal. Did the ball pass the line? :)

Who’s complaining these days?! It started a wonderful era that still goes on… ;)
I was thinking what @rockstrongo said.If "VAR calls first" , becomes a norm, is like completely striping the human error (human factor) from the game.

I mean can the VAR call the ref, and the ref ignore it, or say "screw you"? I doubt.

Which leads to no mythical stories. No more ghost goals, No more Hand of the God.

Of course errors are irritating, especially when you are in the wrong side of the story, but had some romance, that goes away, with all those new technologies.

I was thinking what @rockstrongo said.If VAR calls first, becomes a norm, is like completely striping the human error (human factor) from the game.

Which leads to no mythical stories. No more ghost goals, No more Hand of the God.

Of course errors are irritating, especially when you are in the wrong side of the story, but had some romance, that goes away, with all those new technologies.
Not going to start a "should we have VAR" discussion.
But in my world (friend's etc) the only one's being pro VAR is the casual "watch CL and the national team in front of the TV " fans.
None of us or other supporters from other team who actually watch our/their team home and away in the stadium likes it,or wants it (we don't have it here thank fuck for that)

And as you say,the romance is out of the window tbh.
I'd take goal line technology and punishing players retroactive for stuff any day though

I was thinking what @rockstrongo said.If "VAR calls first" , becomes a norm, is like completely striping the human error (human factor) from the game.

I mean can the VAR call the ref, and the ref ignore it, or say "screw you"? I doubt.

Yes. And that’s a vital part of the Beautiful Game!
cant stand those experiments that rule out the human factor so much.

I see qatar investors and banks stripping the biggest clubs from their debts each year as a bigger threat to the beautyfull game.
That superleague is coming in a version the UEFA will allow. Making the game more and more about television and revenue.

Holland massive favourites but I think the Czechs have been pretty damn good start far.
Hopefully it will be a full game,and not having Holland marching off the field

Holland massive favourites but I think the Czechs have been pretty damn good start far.
Hopefully it will be a full game,and not having Holland marching off the field
Don't see them walking off the pitch. Wijnaldum said some things about this prior to this match

Well this is going to be interesting. Just entering the field: Quincy Promes,
Facing trial in the Netherlands for armoured assault with a knife.

Back
Top Bottom