The Euro 2020 Thread

I think we've probably a better chance of beating Germany than had it been Hungary because that is exactly the sort of team we usually can't break down and get caught on the break to (Sweden will be likely be a similar story should we both get that far). The Germany game will probably be more open plus Southgate may well opt to sit back and use our pace on the break, then hopefully not but quite possibly bore us for an hour should we go ahead.

These are exactely the meanings/hopes/excuses here in Germany. England as a far better (easier?) team to play against than Deep Defensive Line Hungary. But in my opionion a very defensive playing team shouldn't be the excuse for the lack of creativity and ideas like the Germans showed yesterday. Let's see what tuesday brings.

@slamsoze In my experience, everyone I know really wanted Scotland and Wales to progress. The only time I've ever actually heard someone have a nasty attitude towards either nation has been comedians (or drunks) telling lame jokes that sometimes border on racist (and sometimes don't border on it).

I think (although I can only speak personally) we feel like Scotland hate us, and Wales too but to a lesser degree, because England sadly has a very loud, borish pack of jingoists (both in fan representation and in political power). If I was from another nation and that's the image of England I saw over and over again, I'd hate England too.

In-fact, I always look at England's performances at international cups as a win-win situation. Of course, I want England to do well - I'd love us to win a cup, somehow.

But if we don't, the sight of fat-bellied tattoed-to-the-eyeballs morons with shaved heads clutching flags with a picture of the queen on them, crying rage-tears into their lager... Well. Fuck those guys.

Germany will be proper up for this game, make no mistake, Just like the "Auld enemy" they will raise their game. My heart wants us to win, but my head tells me different.

@slamsoze In my experience, everyone I know really wanted Scotland and Wales to progress. The only time I've ever actually heard someone have a nasty attitude towards either nation has been comedians (or drunks) telling lame jokes that sometimes border on racist (and sometimes don't border on it).

I think (although I can only speak personally) we feel like Scotland hate us, and Wales too but to a lesser degree, because England sadly has a very loud, borish pack of jingoists (both in fan representation and in political power). If I was from another nation and that's the image of England I saw over and over again, I'd hate England too.

In-fact, I always look at England's performances at international cups as a win-win situation. Of course, I want England to do well - I'd love us to win a cup, somehow.

But if we don't, the sight of fat-bellied tattoed-to-the-eyeballs morons with shaved heads clutching flags with a picture of the queen on them, crying rage-tears into their lager... Well. Fuck those guys.
First highlight, i would add Ireland to that too. IMO we as the people don't hate the home nations at all (but you are always going to get dickheads), lets be honest most of us are by now melted into the others, i for one have Irish/Scottish Blood in my great grandparents and Cornish/Irish traits from my dad's side.

Second highlight
, Thats my job.

Third highlight, I find that too, but i think their idea of us is like you say, we are like the establishment. But some are ok with us, and take people on their own merits.

Fourth highlight,
Absolutely, but it would be great for us to play like we did against Holland (euro 96) and look like we mean business. Not some over cautious man trying to get across the road. :D

Fifth Highlight, Come on now Chris, That's not very nice. I thought you and Jay were friends?

First highlight, i would add Ireland to that too. IMO we as the people don't hate the home nations at all (but you are always going to get dickheads), lets be honest most of us are by now melted into the others, i for one have Irish/Scottish Blood in my great grandparents and Cornish/Irish traits from my dad's side.

Second highlight, Thats my job.

Third highlight, I find that too, but i think their idea of us is like you say, we are like the establishment. But some are ok with us, and take people on their own merits.

Fourth highlight, Absolutely, but it would be great for us to play like we did against Holland (euro 96) and look like we mean business. Not some over cautious man trying to get across the road. :D

Fifth Highlight, Come on now Chris, That's not very nice. I thought you and Jay were friends?
And another question. Also to @mattmid , @Chris Davies @Flipper the Priest or anyone from UK.

(Just to not get misunderstood, i am always asking as someone that needs to check wikipedia every now and then, to refresh which countries are the UK)

I know it could be a separate topic, and how attached are the UK people (stereotype maybe?) to the traditions, but would n't it be more "effective" if there was a simple United Kingdom National Team, as it happened in London Olympic Games of 2012, for the purpose of the Olympic Games rules though? I mean going from the past, the Keane brothers, Giggs..etc, etc....

Or today, who would not support a team that would had McTominay, Bale, Ramsey, Tierney , etc, etc...? Is n't it like wasted potential?

p.s.: Also i needed a deep search to find whiy some teams from Wales play in EPL and some in "Wales Premier League", still not sure if i got it correct.

Last edited:
@slamsoze More effective, sure - but it's about tradition and about brotherly competition more than anything, I think. We all want to be the big brother and beat the other guys, but in a friendly way. It would feel odd at this point having a unified team. It feels odd to me that there are GB athletes, even... I guess athletics is a more mature field than others...

As for Welsh teams in the English pyramid - I have to admit, I don't like that at all. Not because I'm anti-Wales but because it just doesn't seem fair to the other Welsh teams, nor Scottish teams. I would go as far as to say it really annoys me when they get into the Premier League. More out of OCD than anything...

Absolutely, but it would be great for us to play like we did against Holland (euro 96)

I still see that at the pinnacle of my England watching. I don't think anything comes that close to that game except perhaps the game against Argentina in 98.

As for Welsh teams in the English pyramid - I have to admit, I don't like that at all. Not because I'm anti-Wales but because it just doesn't seem fair to the other Welsh teams, nor Scottish teams. I would go as far as to say it really annoys me when they get into the Premier League. More out of OCD than anything...

I've always wondered why Merthyr Tydfil are knocking around in the English non-league, wouldn't it make more sense for them to play in the Welsh League? I'd imagine they'd be pretty competitive and there's always a chance of qualifying for European preliminaries too.

I think the athletics is mainly because we have to enter as GB.

@slamsoze

I must admit I wouldn't be against a UK team, we'd certainly have had some brilliant squads over the decades. Some of the top notch Scottish players of the 80's like Souness, Dalglish, Strachan and many others. Then you had the likes of Mark Hughes, Ian Rush, Neville Southall from Wales and then Northern Irish players like Norman Whiteside and Gerry Armstrong. All of those would have walked into a UK Side.

Holland have a walkover to the final?
No walkover... no no.
The Czech are gonna be difficult.
They are very good/nearly perfect at dismantling opponents strenghts,
especialy against possesion driven teams.

The Danes (if they beat Wales) as I see it are a problem.
They play without any fear or pressure.
Even when they've got less fans in attendece they mustn't be overlooked! : P
Those danes have something no other team has in this tournament, they play purely for fun now.
(That viking blood starts boiling when playing for fun.)

If the Netherlands can take these hurdles I see them progressing into the final witch they'll loose to Portugal.(got to stick to my prediction)

@Chris Davies @Buzzy @mattmid thanks. Really helped me understand the situation. It is really better some times, to listen the opinions from the people directly (GB in this time), then reading from greek newspaper about "what if" theories.
Those keywords about tribal, brotherhood and tradition completed my puzzle pieces.

No walkover... no no.
The Czech are gonna be difficult.
They are very good/nearly perfect at dismantling opponents strenghts,
especialy against possesion driven teams.

The Danes (if they beat Wales) as I see it are a problem.
They play without any fear or pressure.
Even when they've got less fans in attendece they mustn't be overlooked! : P
Those danes have something no other team has in this tournament, they play purely for fun now.
(That viking blood starts boiling when playing for fun.)

If the Netherlands can take these hurdles I see them progressing into the final witch they'll loose to Portugal.(got to stick to my prediction)
Just to add about Portugal, as someone mentioned the other day. We Greek fans learned Fernando Santos very well during the 2000~2010 as club manager and 2010~2014 as National Team manager. What i can tell you for sure is, if he had to choose, between 11 x C. Ronaldo or 11 x Renato Sanches, we would pick 11 x Renato Sanches any day.

Last edited:
@Chris Davies @Buzzy @mattmid thanks. Really helped me understand the situation. It is really better some times, to listen the opinions from the people directly (GB in this time), then reading from greek newspaper about "what if" theories.
Those keewords about tribal, brotherhood and tradition completed my puzzle pieces.

Just to add about Portugal, as someone mentioned the other day. We Greek fans learned Fernando Santos very well during the 2000~2010 as club manager and 2010~2014 as National Team manager. What i can tell you for sure is, if he had to choose, between 11 x C. Ronaldo or 11 x Renato Sanches, we would pick 11 x Renato Sanches any day.
He played some game yesterday : p

Read about relationship/rivalry between countries in the UK.
For me regarding Norway/Denmark/Finland I don't wish for any succes to those countries/teams.
Our history is quite similar to the history of UK countries.

Sweden did let go of Norway in 1905.
Denmark use to own parts of Sweden,tons of wars between us,we use to own Finland and parts of Russia etc.

So I usually wish the worst for those teams (Denmark this year obviously a different story)
But the strange part is that if Denmark/Finland/Norway would play some other team that's on my shitlist,then my enemy becomes my friend and I support my Nordic brothers.

We've always had very heated games between us,especially Vs Denmark,wasn't long ago when they cancelled play in the second half because of a pitcher attacking one of our players,and we got a 3-0 win automatically in -07.

Same thing Vs Finland in ice hockey ,very heated.

With that said,great people all my Nordic brothers,no issues except sport's.
I nowadays live 30 min from Copenhagen,so I see Denmark every day:)
And it's a great city/country

Read about relationship/rivalry between countries in the UK.
For me regarding Norway/Denmark/Finland I don't wish for any succes to those countries/teams.
Our history is quite similar to the history of UK countries.

Sweden did let go of Norway in 1905.
Denmark use to own parts of Sweden,tons of wars between us,we use to own Finland and parts of Russia etc.

So I usually wish the worst for those teams (Denmark this year obviously a different story)
But the strange part is that if Denmark/Finland/Norway would play some other team that's on my shitlist,then my enemy becomes my friend and I support my Nordic brothers.

We've always had very heated games between us,especially Vs Denmark,wasn't long ago when they cancelled play in the second half because of a pitcher attacking one of our players,and we got a 3-0 win automatically in -07.

Same thing Vs Finland in ice hockey ,very heated.

With that said,great people all my Nordic brothers,no issues except sport's.
I nowadays live 30 min from Copenhagen,so I see Denmark every day:)
And it's a great city/country
How do you fancy the Swedish chances?

How do you fancy the Swedish chances?
Vs Ukraine?
We'll win that one,I'm pretty confident,team has been changing along the way (Sweden) more offensive firepower has come in etc.
Then (if) Vs Eng/Ger,that's tough and I think it's ending there,but who knows?

Vs Ukraine?
We'll win that one,I'm pretty confident,team has been changing along the way (Sweden) more offensive firepower has come in etc.
You know mate, i am a big fan of Marcus Berg, but honestly i can't see how Zlatan would be worse than Marcus. He (Berg) looks totally in a bad form.
Especially in last match, which was pretty match Sweden vs Lewandowski.. I felt a Zlatan was needed in the pitch.

Vs Ukraine?
Ukraine is a akward one. they leave much space but show courage.
I feel you got a pretty good chance against England/Germany.
-If they play nervous (again) against eachother...
-If that mach lives up to the hype I could be very wrong.
You've been conistent without Ibrahimovic and Forsberg looks on fire.
You guys are easily overlooked I feel.

You know mate, i am a big fan of Marcus Berg, but honestly i can't see how Zlatan would be worse than Marcus. He (Berg) looks totally in a bad form.
Especially in last match, which was pretty match Sweden vs Lewandowski.. I felt a Zlatan was needed in the pitch.
Berg shouldn't play IMO.
Quaison/Isak or Isak/Kulusevski upfront is my choice for sure,those guys can really get things rolling.

Ukraine is a akward one. they leave much space but show courage.
I feel you got a pretty good chance against England/Germany.
-If they play nervous (again) against eachother...
-If that mach lives up to the hype I could be very wrong.
You've been conistent without Ibrahimovic and Forsberg looks on fire.
You guys are easily overlooked I feel.
Forsberg has been great,and get Isak going,plus a Kulusevski in form,could be really deadly

Kulusevski, Isak alwayz!

Berg made some mad goals in his early eredivisie days.
Since he left FC Groningen he wasn't the same nomore.
Depressing to watch at times. nasty chips though>

Kulusevski, Isak alwayz!

Berg made some mad goals in his early eredivisie days.
Since he left FC Groningen he wasn't the same nomore.
Depressing to watch at times. nasty chips though>
AFter HSV he played for Panathinaikos for 3 seasons and it was like he had a second peak in his carreer. He was the top player of Panathinaikos for 3 seasons Then he left for Al-Ain, but he was never the same again!
https://www.transfermarkt.com/marcus-berg/marktwertverlauf/spieler/30418

Re: English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish relationship: I think (I'm not from UK or Ireland, but know quite a few people from there) it's more rivalry than hate or anything like that (outside of those jingoistic fans that every nation has unfortunatelly). Irish guy who I know, and who lives in London by the way, always cheers against Enland, but that's more from a sporting tradition and rivalry and he absolutely doesn't hold any hatred or anything.

Hasn't Alex Ferguson once said that the only reason he would take England's NT job is to make them do really bad? :)

Is Boadu injured? I would have loved to see him in the Dutch squad.
He got picked for the under 21's.
His last season was a littlebit disapointing conisidering his first I guess....
But that under 21 squad is swarming with talent. : )

Last edited:
His goal avarage for AZ is still a 0.5, I would think they needed all the decent forwards they could find.

Back
Top Bottom