The Euro 2020 Thread

What a crappy game from Germany. Pretty similar to WC 2018 (and the 3 years since then). No idea, no gameplan, a lot of players (Gnabry, Sane, Gündogan, Kroos) with underwhelming performance. Surely not derserved to play the next round. Now against England, my oh my...

Well after being set to play every team in Group F several times over during the 90 minutes we inevitably end up with Germany! If it wasn't a tournament I'd be fairly confident but it's a tournament and it's Germany.

Better see what the odds for penalties are @PotatoCouch :LOL:

So unlucky for Hungary though, three brilliant performances against three of the probably six favourites for the tournament.

Well after being set to play every team in Group F several times over during the 90 minutes we inevitably end up with Germany! If it wasn't a tournament I'd be fairly confident but it's a tournament and it's Germany.

Better see what the odds for penalties are @PotatoCouch :LOL:

So unlucky for Hungary though, three brilliant performances against three of the probably six favourites for the tournament.
Well it's a tournament & it's Germany yes, but it's also a tournament & there's no such thing as easy games in tournament football especially knockout stages.

Who ever England play, it's going to be a slog to get through, especially when they're not exactly scoring prolifically either. Still I can't see it being as bad as 2010 either and Germany have moments of vulnerability too.

Either, we've waited 5 long years for knockout tournament football and it's going to a wild ride of emotion whatever happens & that's what it's all about as an England fan!

oh what unnecessary thrill last night... :BOUNCE:

anyway... we made it! versus England at Wembley, does it get any better!?

to my british community friends i say:

tenor.gif

:BYE:

oh what unnecessary thrill last night... :BOUNCE:

anyway... we made it! versus England at Wembley, does it get any better!?

to my british community friends i say:

tenor.gif

:BYE:

I'm not normally into that ABE (anyone but England) stuff. I like to think I'm better than that. My mum's English, I have English friends, there are some lovely English people on this very forum. There are some likeable players in the England team, and I think Gareth Southgate is a class act, a great man.

But then I think of a very vocal and animated subsection (minority?) of England fans. Even the English guys here will know who I mean. I'm referring to talkSPORT/talkRADIO (both of which will have some disgraceful output over the next week, moreso than usual) England, to whom I'm subjected against my wishes, largely out of uncontrollable circumstance.

When I think of them - as I am now, blood boiling - I go full-blown ABE. Like, crush them. Fuck beating Brazil 7-1, do it next Tuesday. Think Andy Möller's infamous celebration but in football form. Actually I've changed my mind. Make it penalties. Or a last minute winner. Optimum tears. The thought of sorrowful, ruddy, jingoistic faces splattered over the Express/Mail/Sun front pages gives me strength.

Another outcome of going to the Sweden/Ukraine game would be missing the earlier match. Although I assume they'll show it in the stadium. Or I could watch on my phone. Neither is appealing.

I'm referring to talkSPORT/talkRADIO (both of which will have some disgraceful output over the next week, moreso than usual)
Last night on the sports bar, Goldstein was plotting our route through to the final IF we beat Germany. FFS! they can't think one game at a time. They get carried away on What if's & but's.

They had a fan on (young lad) who was riding the hype train, with words of "professional performances/ we need to get behind our team". Sorry mate, but been there, done that. The higher you go the further you crash & burn.

Btw What a topsy turvey night of football it was. Commiserations to Hungary who put up a class performance in that group. Whatever will we do now, till Saturday?

I'm not normally into that ABE (anyone but England) stuff. I like to think I'm better than that. My mum's English, I have English friends, there are some lovely English people on this very forum. There are some likeable players in the England team, and I think Gareth Southgate is a class act, a great man.

But then I think of a very vocal and animated subsection (minority?) of England fans. Even the English guys here will know who I mean. I'm referring to talkSPORT/talkRADIO (both of which will have some disgraceful output over the next week, moreso than usual) England, to whom I'm subjected against my wishes, largely out of uncontrollable circumstance.

When I think of them - as I am now, blood boiling - I go full-blown ABE. Like, crush them. Fuck beating Brazil 7-1, do it next Tuesday. Think Andy Möller's infamous celebration but in football form. Actually I've changed my mind. Make it penalties. Or a last minute winner. Optimum tears. The thought of sorrowful, ruddy, jingoistic faces splattered over the Express/Mail/Sun front pages gives me strength.

Another outcome of going to the Sweden/Ukraine game would be missing the earlier match. Although I assume they'll show it in the stadium. Or I could watch on my phone. Neither is appealing.
How have you found the reaction of the English to Scotland going out, just out of interest?

I noticed something really unusual earlier this week. Maybe I'm looking into this a bit too much, but...

I listen to a lot of football podcasts, and watch all the highlights shows. Whenever England and Scotland featured in the same show, it was (as far as I can remember) always in that order. England first, for ages, then Scotland for a bit.

However, on the final day of the group... Literally every single one of them covered Scotland's exit first. To the point that, I noticed it immediately, found it odd, and then the next podcast did the same thing... And then the next... And the next... And then the highlights show too.

I couldn't decide whether I'm just noticing something that isn't there, or it's a case of "let's show everyone that it's not ALL about England chaps", or whether they were actively revelling in it.

Which would be odd, because most people I know (all English) are gutted for them. Largely because they're scouse and love Andy Robertson, mind.

How have you found the reaction of the English to Scotland going out, just out of interest?

I noticed something really unusual earlier this week. Maybe I'm looking into this a bit too much, but...

I listen to a lot of football podcasts, and watch all the highlights shows. Whenever England and Scotland featured in the same show, it was (as far as I can remember) always in that order. England first, for ages, then Scotland for a bit.

However, on the final day of the group... Literally every single one of them covered Scotland's exit first. To the point that, I noticed it immediately, found it odd, and then the next podcast did the same thing... And then the next... And the next... And then the highlights show too.

I couldn't decide whether I'm just noticing something that isn't there, or it's a case of "let's show everyone that it's not ALL about England chaps", or whether it was actively revelling in it.

Which would be odd, because most people I know (all English) are gutted for them. Largely because they're scouse and love Andy Robertson, mind.
Let me ask as a total foreigner, cause i do not know the situation, wanted to ask since the EURO beginning..

UK is aparted from England, Scotland, Wales, Northen Ireland. What's the status of the relations among those countries, sportsmanship-wise, do they feel "hostile", "rivals", "compatriots", "fellas".

I mean, for example if you ask me about Balkan countries, i can tell you safely that with some micro-exceptions, everyone is worst enemy with anyone else.

I think we've probably a better chance of beating Germany than had it been Hungary because that is exactly the sort of team we usually can't break down and get caught on the break to (Sweden will be likely be a similar story should we both get that far). The Germany game will probably be more open plus Southgate may well opt to sit back and use our pace on the break, then hopefully not but quite possibly bore us for an hour should we go ahead.

@slamsoze Personally I don't have any real rivalries with other UK countries, want to beat them when we play them but not really any more than any other country. Plus my sister-in-law is Scottish and she's a lovely person. I think as a stereotype the English exports (holidaymakers or our fans) are by far the most embarrassing and that's probably the perception from abroad too. Those same ones are also the jingoistic one's @Flipper the Priest talks about.

Back
Top Bottom