Sony PlayStation 3

The vast majority of PS3 users choose The Show over 2K, the PS3 version of 2K sells poorly.

So is it worth getting 2k11 or is The Show much better?

Let me put this way, the only reason why The Show is not game of the year every year is because it´s only on PS3, it beats the 2k baseball games by miles.

Sony will take the European PlayStation Network down today from 4.05pm UK time through to 3am tomorrow morning.

You won't be able to access the PlayStation Store on either PS3 or PSP, nor any of the account management or registration areas.

If you want to be able to play online during that time then make sure you sign in before 4.05pm.

----

In light of this maintenance, The Store will update at 1pm today. PS Plus content is being uploaded at noon, with a couple of extra little bits.

PS3 Online Storage for game saves arrives tomorrow as part of firmware update 3.60, Sony has announced.

But only PlayStation Plus subscribers can use it.

PS+ subs get 150MB of space to upload and dump saved game files to (to a maximum of 1000). The average game save is 1-2MB. These are then accessible from any PS3 with a net connection.

Uploading to the cloud, to give it a fancier name, requires pressing triangle on the chosen save file, selecting "copy" and the destination as "online storage". When on another PS3, sign into your PSN account, go to Saved Data Utility and hey presto, there's your saved game file.

Save files from games with copy protection can still be cloned and uploaded, but are unavailable to download elsewhere for 24 hours.

If your PlayStation Plus subscription lapses your Online Storage files will be inaccessible until you renew. Save files are kept for six months before deletion, however, allowing plenty of leeway.

A PlayStation Plus subscription costs £39.99/€49.99 for a year or £11.99/€14.99 for 90 days.

--

PS3 to get Online Storage cloud-save service tomorrow

Online Storage, a cloud-save system for PS3, is to launch exclusively for PlayStation Plus members tomorrow, March 10.

Online Storage will allow PS Plus subs to make game saves online, up to a maximum of 1,000 saves or 150Mb of data.

Users will be able to access their Online Storage via the XMB, under the Games icon. There, they’ll be able to save game data or download and pick up and play from where they left off.

Games saved in Online Storage can be accessed by logging into PSN from any PS3. Therefore, it’s possible to download a game save to a friend’s PS3 and continue playing.

The service also means, as Sony pointed out today, that game data will now be safe when updated confirm software.

The move will be seen as a precursor to the launch of PlayStation Phone Xperia Play and PSP successor NGP later this year: a cloud-saving system, as has been much-noted, will be necessary for owners of more that one type of PlayStation-branded hardware to keep track of their progress.

Remember, you need to be a Plus sub to use Online Storage. A subscription costs £39.99/€49.99 a year, or £11.99/€14.99 for 90 days.

As well as Online Storage, a Plus sub gives you access to “new, classic and exclusive games, themes and avatars worth over £200 a year,” according to Sony.

Subs also get early access to selected demos and betas, the option to try certain games before you buy and auto-firmware updates.

I'm downloading 3.60 now. From what I've read the only new feature (apart from cloud saves) is an auto-sleep setting for the controller so you can now adjust the time that the controller turns itself off.

Edit - this update process really is a pain in the arse compared to the 360. I only logged on for a quick game of GT5 and 20 minutes later the console is still pissing about installing the update.

Last edited:
The Show's gamedata install really does take the piss, surely the longest PS3 install ever?

Its not the same thing but the No.1 thing I hate about The Show is the loading, its pathetic.

Last edited:
Its not the same thing but the No.1 thing I hate about The Show is the loading, its pathetic.

Sony should allow full game installation to internal HD, like in the 360, that would make the loading time less painful.

Sony should allow full game installation to internal HD, like in the 360, that would make the loading time less painful.

They really should. I cannot understand why they don't allow this especially as PS3 HDD's are easily upgradeable to massive sizes.

The 360 was much better once games were installable.

Is the game disc still required after the install?

For the 360? Yes its required in the disc drive for authentication purposes. Otherwise people could just copy the games!

Silly question, I forgot about that part.

Some demos are time based, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit was a timed demo. EA said it was because it was due to the servers for the demo being used for the online game, and thus they didnt want the servers being clogged up with demo players. Guessing the its the same with Fight Night as it's an EA game too.

===================================

PlayStation(R)Network

An important message to you from the
PlayStation(R)Network team at Sony Computer
Entertainment America LLC.

On April 1, 2011, Sony Computer
Entertainment America LLC ("SCEA")
will transfer its online services
operations, including your wallet
and the funds in it, to Sony Network
Entertainment America Inc. ("SNEA").
The first time you sign in to your
Sony Online Services account on or
after April 1, you will be asked to
enter into a new Terms of Service and
User Agreement with SNEA. If you do
not wish to enter into a contract with
SNEA, you may decline the terms of
service and we will close your account(s)
and return your funds.
You can preview
the new Terms of Service and User
Agreement with SNEA at:
http://playstation.innovyx.net/r?xncJcvvEcWlHHqEHWTPPHTncTlH

PlayStation(R)Network will continue to
provide you with the highest standard
of interactive entertainment. Your
access to the best games, movies, TV
shows, music and friends will remain
intact. Thank you very much for being
part of the PlayStation(R)Network online
community! We look forward to continuing
to bring you the best in innovative
online entertainment!

Your PlayStation(R)Network password and
Sign-on ID (xxxxxxxxx) is required
to sign in to your Sony Online Services
account. Please go to >>
http://playstation.innovyx.net/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
to ensure your account information
is accurate and updated.

The PlayStation(R)Network Team

LEGAL
"PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are
registered trademarks and "PS3" and
"PlayStation Network" are trademarks of
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
(C) 2011 Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC.

Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC
919 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Foster City, CA 94404

Last edited:
What the f homo? Explain yourself.

EDIT: Wait I've got the email now, how the heck these fakes got my email?

Damn you Sony :RANT:

Last edited:

Wishful thinking from me. Though i know of the work-around to gain access to and buy stuff from the American store it shouldn't change the fact that the EU store is really badly supported in comparison.

I always hear on Gamefaqs about the cool new stuff and good deals the PSN network gets there (i.e Resi 3, which isn't out here, $3.99 last week or something) and don't get why it seems so much better supported. Not that i was going to buy it but the other week i was like where's this Parasite Eve i've been hearing all about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom