Sony PlayStation 3

Anyone on here experience screen tearing? I've noticed it on a good number of games, and its annoying. For example, I've got a game that I have on both PS3 and PC. Had the same problem on PC initially, but when turned V-sync on, it became pretty smooth. Also, one of the PS3 games I got, not sure which one, has V-sync option and when turned on it smoothed things out.

Is it an issue for Sony to give us a V-sync option in the display settings?

Free Open Source PS3 (PlayStation 3) Jailbreak (PSGroove) Now Available for All

We saw it coming didn’t we? Why pay $169 for PSJailbreak or even $30 for its clone x3Jailbreak when you can get it all for free? A group of hackers have successfully managed to clone and release open source version of PSJailbreak called PSGroove. What this means is that you will now be able to create your own PS3 (PlayStation 3) jailbreaks to replicate what PSJailbreak can do.

All you ever have to do is to download the code which is available here for free, and then copy it over to a $20 USB development board (AVR HW) of your choice to get started ! Oh and there will soon be a way where you would be able to jailbreak your PS3 by either using a jailbroken iPhone or iPod touch, or TI-84 calculator! How cool is that?

dominos-effet.jpg

Last edited:
Right the PES Demo for + members is out on Wednesday, give me reasons why other than that I could/should get a membership pack.

Can't think of any, I hope my 90 day sub doesn't run out before then.

I need some help.

None of my demos/games on HDD are playing audio anymore. Any idea?

Fine with music etc, just the games.

EDIT: Nevermind. Remembered myself changing the audio output to 3 other settings which I don't have. Back to default and its working now. Phew.

Last edited:
Right the PES Demo for + members is out on Wednesday, give me reasons why other than that I could/should get a membership pack.

You get the entire Sam and Max game this month for free - and it's pretty damn good.
Also if you subscribe for the year I think... you get Ratchet and Clank Quest for Booty for free too.

Other than that... there hasn't been much in the first 2 months that screams amazing must have thing.

I guess in the first 3 months they've given the subscribers.

LBP for free
wipeout HD for free
Early demos of Kane and Lynch 2, RUSE and now PES 2011

erm... a couple of psone games that most will already have played, a few dynamic themes (the clock last month was great), avatars and the other bits haven't been that great. free dlc for killzone 2, last month it was free dlc for motorstorm 2 and this month its ufc 2010 dlc for free.

The list they have on the eu blog for sept/october is...

PSN: Sam and Max: Devil’s Playground (entire season)
minis: Vector Tower Defense, Echoes
PSOne Classic: Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Full Game Trial: Warhawk (Plus exclusive 50% discount for Plus members on purchase), Inferno Pool
Exclusive Discounts: LBP: Ico and Shadow of Colossus costume pack – 50%, Metal Gear Solid (PSOne) – 50%, Warhawk – 50%, Pixel Junk Shooter – 20%
DLC: Exclusive UFC Undisputed 2010 DLC
Dynamic themes: Exclusive PlayStation Move theme, Exclusive ‘Fish Tank’ theme
Premium avatars: Eye Pet Blue Goalie Avatar, Eye Pet DJ Avatar

And here is what you can expect to see from the 6th October – 2nd November

PSN: Street Fighter 2 HD Remix
minis: Aero Racer, Yeti Sports
PSOne Classic: Syphon Filter
Full Game Trial: Gravity Crash (Plus exclusive 50% discount for Plus members on purchase), Hustle Kings (Plus exclusive 50% discount for Plus members on purchase)
Exclusive Discounts: Burn Zombie Burn (inc. free exclusive Home item for Plus members who buy)
Dynamic themes: Exclusive Move ‘Start the Party’ theme, Exclusive ‘Halloween’ theme
Premium avatars: Pain: Jarvis and Le Toot Avavtars, SingStar: Wannabe and Rising Star Avatars

As before, you can rest assured this is not all that will be available each month; look out for some more exclusive, surprise treats, coming to Plus in September and October.

Team ICO Collection "around £24.99"

The heavily rumoured ICO / Shadow of the Colossus high definition PlayStation 3 collection will be released in March or April next year and cost "around £24.99", industry sources have told Eurogamer.

ICO / Shadow of the Colossus, which popped up on the website of US retailer Walmart over the weekend, will be available to pre-order on UK retailer websites in the next few days, Eurogamer's been told.

Walmart.com has the game down for a 1st April 2011 release, which we understand may be placeholder, and priced $39.82.

Sony's plan with the release is to ape the God of War Collection, a re-mastered port of God of War and God of War II on a single Blu-ray.

Team ICO Collection, which includes high definition ports of PlayStation 2 classics ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, should be priced similarly, according to our sources.

Sony's set to go big at the Tokyo Game Show this week, where we expect to hear more.

Sony told us: "We don't comment on rumour or speculation."

In July Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said the console manufacturer is "keen to look into" converting ICO and Shadow of the Colossus to HD for PlayStation 3.

"As soon as we released God of War Collection, a lot of people were giving us suggestions, and ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, these are at the top of the list," he said.

"We are very aware, and we want to see and play in HD in the better frame-rate as well."

In June Digital Foundry took a look at ICO running in high definition via an emulator. Check out the results below.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-13-team-ico-collection-around-GBP24-99

For those that have had their PS3's die due to the laser failing (?)

What are the first signs of this?

For the last two months MLB 10 The Show has been behaving strangely. Sometimes when I boot up the game, once it gets past the initial intro screens (SCEA presents etc) it will then hang. Sometimes it will simply refuse to load and more recently the audio in the game has been breaking up and spitting out some crackling noises.

Also Bad Company 2 will freeze in the middle of a game at least once a week, not sure if this is related though.

When I watch BD's everything plays as per normal.

I bought the Slim the week it was released and I bought an extended warranty also, is it time for change?

The first sign I had were games just taking AGES to boot up. You hit X on the disc icon and instead of it taking the usual say 5 seconds to get to the legal garbage.. it would take maybe 30 seconds.

Then next sign I had were textures in games not loading up. So I'd enter a new room and the walls would be a dull blurred texture for a few seconds and then suddenly it would pop into the high res texture. (Though this also happens if you have low HDD space)

and finally lots and lots of game freezing when loading something until one day when the console froze on loading something in GTA4 and the disc drive had gone bust.

In Yankees stadium the big screen that usually displays stats etc has been replaced by a blue sign that reads '2x1'. It looks so weird.

The manufacturer warranty expires on Tuesday, I'll take it down to HMV on Wednesday and get it replaced.

Thanks.

5017424476_2695762862.jpg

If you're a PlayStation Plus subscriber, you'll soon be getting exclusive early access to the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood beta!

With the beta itself not launching until early October, PlayStation Plus members will be getting into the pre-testing phase, which starts on the 27th Septembe

I think my controller might be knackered? Gave it a full charge a couple of days ago, haven't used it since. Now when I turn it on, the four lights flash but then go off, it wont connect to the PS3.

I've connected it to my laptop and PS3 and the lights flash slowly to indicate that it's charging but then after about 20 seconds, no more lights.

Any ideas?

I wanted to play that beta but my PS+ sub expired the night before.

It's ok imo. Can't tell much from a multiplayer game. Graphics are nice though.

Some players have special abilities, one of them can change character for about some time then goes back to normal. The more you level up the more you unlock abilities or perks I think.

When did it last work?
Does it not work at all even if you connect it to the PS3?

Last worked a couple of days ago, connecting it directly with the cable to the PS3 works fine so it's definately a battery issue, just not holding a charge at all.

I read that Sony said they'll replace controllers where the battery dies as the battery isn't a user replaceable part so I'll give Sony a call tomorrow and ask what they can do. Someone said they send out a new controller and you just send back the dead pad in the same box.

Last worked a couple of days ago, connecting it directly with the cable to the PS3 works fine so it's definately a battery issue, just not holding a charge at all.

I read that Sony said they'll replace controllers where the battery dies as the battery isn't a user replaceable part so I'll give Sony a call tomorrow and ask what they can do. Someone said they send out a new controller and you just send back the dead pad in the same box.

Sony won't do anything about it, tough they're saying. So I've made a complaint, a supervisor is going to call me back but they're going to tell me the same thing apparantly.

Already told the guy that it's fine if a supervisor says that, I'll just take their name and escalate it further up the chain. I'm sure the supervisor can't wait to call me back now :D

Don't suppose anyone has the email address for the head of customer support at SCEUK? ;)

Edit: Supervisor called and said the expected, they won't take any responsibility at all. He reckons you buy the controller and have a 12 month warranty with the retailer. Once it's left Sony's warehouse, it's nothing to do with Sony and they're washing their hands of any support at all. Told him I'll be seeking advice about consumer rights, sales of good, fit for purpose, and I'll be contacting Watchdog as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought electronic goods' warranties were 2 years now under the EU?

Have you tried a different USB cable to charge it? Thought I'd mention it as I had a similar issue a few months ago, and it was the cable that was faulty...

I thought electronic goods' warranties were 2 years now under the EU?

Have you tried a different USB cable to charge it? Thought I'd mention it as I had a similar issue a few months ago, and it was the cable that was faulty...

Yep, different cable, laptop and PS3 so they're ruled out as the problem as well. Also that it works fine when connected directly with the cable to the PS3 but can't rely on the battery alone.

Have you tried plugging the pad into the console and then resetting it with that little pin hole round the back?

Hook your controller up to the USB cable. Hit the PS button in the center. When it lights up the controller number, go ahead and take your paper clip or whatever and push the reset button on the back of the controller while its plugged into the usb cable.
Then hit the center PS button. When it lights up the controller number again, hold the PS button down til it prompts you to power the controller down. Power it down, then disconnect it from the usb cable and hit the PS button one more time and it should sync up to your PS3 wirelessly again. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom