Sony PlayStation 3

blueps3-sg.jpg

Grand Turismo PS3

Only to be sold in Japan as far as I' know.

Last edited:
Nice, would be better if it was engraved with something like the Final Fantasy console.

Hackers may have cracked PS3

August 19th, 2010

Rumours are swirling this morning that the PlayStation 3's security has finally been breached and "backup" software now runs on the Sony platform.

A company of unknown origin has created what it calls the PSJailbreak - a combination of software and USB dongle that seemingly allows all makes and model of retail PlayStation 3 to copy and run any kind of game code, even with the latest firmware updates in place.

While it remains to be seen whether it is another in a long line of elaborate fakes, it's understood that multiple modchip resellers were sent anonymous packages from Hong Kong, and one of the recipients - Australia-based OzModChips - has posted two convincing-looking videos on YouTube showing the system in action.

Based on OzModChips' YouTube offerings, the dongle itself appears to be activated when the system is booted by holding down the power followed by the eject button. This might suggest that the USB dongle is an adapted form of debug equipment used by Sony itself in testing production and refurbished PS3s, and several consoles locked into "factory mode" have escaped into the wild before now.

If true, this is a crushing blow for Sony, especially as potential pirates won't even need to buy a Blu-ray burner to acquire copied games: the hack works by streaming game data either from the internal HDD or alternatively via USB flash drives or hard disks.

But is it the real deal? Hacker websites are saying it is, while the publicly available game-dumping tool from the "Jailbreak" site installs without the USB dongle on debug PS3s, and does indeed rip retail games, although they do not boot. There have been many fakes in the past - PSJailbreak looks disturbingly authentic.

We have contacted SCEE and await comment.

YouTube - OzModChips.com tests Worlds First Ps3 Modchip (PSjailbreak)

YouTube - Worlds second test of ps3 modchip, for all the Youtube plebs

Surely they can fix that with a firmware update?

I'll admit that in the past, perhaps I haven't, how shall we say, paid full retail price for games, but I really hope Sony fix this.

Of course piracy is never going to go away, but I was pleased with how well Sony were keeping it at bay as it made the ps3 that bit more special and if you pick and choose your games, then I don't see how you can begrudge paying £30-40 for a piece of entertainment that gives you hours, days, weeks, months of pleasure.

I'll happily keep buying games :)

I'd love to make use of it for as Nick said - to back them up to the HDD and then play without the disc drive spinning around and eventually failing. I've had it happen twice already so it's very annoying.

Sony should make that an option with all retail games just like the 360 does. Sure they're going to take up huge amounts of the HDD but it's an optional thing so who cares.

Yea, thats a good point - and with the HDD replacement easy and even encouraged by Sony, it would make sense to have it as an option...

I prefer the fully white one, might be tempted to get one after the 40GB has expired.

PS3-Slim-White.png
I will say this, I have a White DS3, and its now two tone colour now, top is cream, bottom is still white. :( just a heads up if your thinking of it. I think the blue looks better overall.

Last edited:
I will say this, I have a White DS3, and its now two tone colour now, top is cream, bottom is still white. :( just a heads up if your thinking of it. I think the blue looks better overall.

Oh... that sucks.

Maybe a blood red one then, similar to the Resident Evil 5 360. I've had a blood red DS3 before and that was excellent.

Probably something to do with your cow pat stained shovel hands.

Last edited:
Tesco, the British supermarket with talking trolleys, has begun buying second-hand games across the UK.

For your games you'll be paid credit, which can be used to buy anything else in store: nappies, olives, cat food, drink, whatever.

Adverts spotted by MCV tout a £19 trade-in price for Red Dead Redemption on Xbox 360. Mario Kart Wii fetches £19 and 2010 FIFA World Cup £12 on PS3.

These games will be re-sold at applicable stores nationwide.

Apparently around 60 Tesco outlets now accept pre-owned games. Every little helps.

Just turned on the PS3 and when I try to enter the Store I get this error

"this service is not available in your country/region"

Is everyone getting this then or should I be worried?

EDIT: So it seems to be maintenance after a bit of research, is this to do with the PS Jailbreak?

Last edited:
Just turned on the PS3 and when I try to enter the Store I get thid error

"this service is not available in your country/region"

Is everyone getting this then or should I be worried?

EDIT: So it seems to be maintanance after a bit of research, is this to do with the PS Jailbreak?

I get the same. Would be nice if they told us it was maintenance.

They have said there will be maintenance since last week guys. The PlayStation Network account management and the PlayStation Store will be unavailable for a period of around 19 hours as scheduled maintenance is being performed.

Smokers in your home? Would expect white things to go off colour if there is as it's a disgusting, stinking habit! If not then that's piss poor.

White is for girls anyway ;)

None smoking house, think its the sun that faded it, but still, more akin to a SNES going yellow than newer consoles. The 360 pad has not faded.

I got a PSP Go there recently, which is white, and is made of very different plastic that the DS3 is, so maybe the new PS3 White Slim might be made of the same stuff, more Pearlescent White.

Back
Top Bottom