Sony PlayStation 3

Views on Modnation Racers beta......

Made a quick track the other day and auto populated it (Basically the game chooses the tracks surrounding, places pick ups and boosts and so on for you). But when testing it against the AI it just seemed a bit cluttered. The weapons just seemed to lack that 'mario kart' style feel to them. You get something... the icon isn't clear at all... so you press the buttons and randomly something happens, but you have no idea what just happened. Then you get the rocket... nice, something you know.
You get behind someone but the AI are all over the place so it's near impossible to hit anything and when you're in the lead the game suffers from that old problem of 'AI ganging up on you' so you get hit by something and die and lose your weapons (very bad decision) and then as you re spawn another AI guy hits you and so on.

The handling of the cars seems a bit flimsy and twitchy as well. So unless the track has been tested over and over to make sure every corner is at the right kind of angle it makes turning corners and playing a chore rather than instinctive like in mario. I wanted to make a series of twisty corners to slide around but when I tested the track I couldn't work out how to powerslide and just kept bouncing off the tracks edges. Sure eventually I'll figure out the controls and it will be easier to play but it doesn't have that instant pick up and play that Mario Kart has.

So far - it has a fantastic creation side. Making the cars, driver and tracks are great. But where it matters... on the track... it's a bit of a mess. More sonic racers or some other crap racer game rather than a mario kart beater. It's like Little Big Planet. You can spend 2 hours putting something together, test it and think 'what a load of shit'.

At the moment anyway. I may have more attempts at making my track work and then something will click and I'll be screaming about how brilliant it is.

Agree with you about the driving, also drifting needs to be improved a lot. The creation stuff is amazing, spent two hours making/tweaking a track last night.

EDIT: I've figured out how to drift, I was doing the wrong thing.

Last edited:
Cross-game chat could end up being a 'premium' service! :LOL:

Sony are surveying gamers about a new Premium PSN, which would include free PSOne game access, Cross-game chat and game trials.

Can only imagine how thats going to go down if it gets the go-ahead...

Agree with you about the driving, also drifting needs to be improved a lot. The creation stuff is amazing, spent two hours making/tweaking a track last night.

EDIT: I've figured out how to drift, I was doing the wrong thing.

I re started my track this morning and this time stretched everything out much more. So lots of straights and the corners no where near as sharp and it flows much better. The frame rate is a little choppy now and again but it's a beta.

My main problem now is when you're adding items to your track there aren't any options to say place 2-5 weapon pick ups next to each other in perfect alignment. You have to add them all 1 at a time. Schoolboy errors.

How do you drift then?

Cross-game chat could end up being a 'premium' service! :LOL:

Sony are surveying gamers about a new Premium PSN, which would include free PSOne game access, Cross-game chat and game trials.

Can only imagine how thats going to go down if it gets the go-ahead...

I heard about that a few days ago. That supposedly leaked survey. The packages on it were a total mess, they should of had just the option of 1 package with everything rather than complicate things and give 3 packages that all have different content. The way its set up now if you want a certain thing like ps1 classics but also want say cross game chat you can't. Online play is still going to be free so it's not that bad.

I've got no interest in the cross game chat though. It's hard enough getting people to talk in games and work as teams already without this getting in the way.

Last edited:
List of Today's Store Update from the EU PS blog

‘Heads-Up’ PlayStation Store Update (22nd December 2009)

It’s the last update of the year; I can’t believe it! I think we’ve made inroads into improving the store this year, and of course I have high hopes that we’ll carry this momentum on into 2010.

As with last week, we’re feeling generous, so I have some codes to give away (these codes will be for one piece of content available via the store) – there is no competition to enter, I’ll just be reading all the comments and giving codes out to those I deem the best comments made. Think of this as the blog version of ‘letters of the month’ you find in print magazines :D I’ll respond on the blog to tell you you’ve got a code, and then I’ll send it to you via a PSN message.

Onto the content this week then – Hustle Kings is here, and offers all you wannabe hustlers out there to chance to show off your skills with the cue. The classic RPG Vagrant Story also arrives, and is available to play on both PS3 and PSP.

We have our first batch of premium avatars available on the store; and these are all from the world of LittleBigPlanet, so know you can personalise your PSN ID with some of the sackboy costumes we’ve previously released.

AdhocParty is also available today, so now you can download this onto your PS3 and utilise it with the titles Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy: Dissidia and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

Finally, as promised, there are a few more titles added to the Special Offers (with two more additions being made on Christmas Eve), including our favourite fair maiden, Fat Princess – all the details below.

That’s it from me this year, but I’ll be around in the comments as usual.

Have a great Christmas and New Year, and I’ll catch you in 2010!
PlayStation Store via PS3
Additional Special Offers

(Until the 7th of January)

* Fat Princess (was – £11.99/€14.99 now – £7.99/€9.99)
* WarHawk (was – £14.99/€19.99 now – £7.99/€9.99)
* Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) (was – £23.99/€29.99 now – £16.99/€20.99) (reduced until the 21st of January)
* Resistance: Retribution (PSP) (was – £24.99/€39.99 now – £14.99/€19.99)
* LocoRoco 2 (PSP) (was – £19.99/€29.99 now – £7.99/€9.99)
* Numblast (PSP) (was – £3.99/€4.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)

Available from the 24th of December:

* Trine (was – £15.99/€19.99 now – £7.99/€9.99)
* Worms (was – £7.99/€9.99 now – £6.29/€7.99)

Special Offers

* Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (was – £19.99/€29.99 now – £14.99/€19.99)
* Burn Zombie Burn! (was – £6.29/€7.99 now – £3.19/€3.99)
* Bomberman Ultra (was – £7.99/€9.99 now – £3.99/€4.99)
* Battlefield 1943 (was – £9.99/€12.99 now – £6.29/€7.99)
* Red Alert 3: Commander’s Challenge (was – £7.99/€9.99 now – £5.19/€6.49)
* High Velocity Bowling (was – £6.29/€7.99 now – £3.99/€4.99)
* Lemmings (was – £3.99/€4.99 now – £3.19/€3.99)
* 3 on 3 NHL Arcade (was – £6.29/€3.19 now – £3.19/€3.99)
* Burnout Paradise (was – £24.99/€29.99 now – £13.99/€17.99)
* Burnout Paradise – Big Surf Bundle (was – £27.99/€34.99 now – £19.99/€24.99)
* Fight Night Round 4 – Champions Pack (was – £3.99/€4.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
* Skate 2 – Maloof Money Cup Pack (was – £1.59/€1.99 now – £1.19/€1.49)
* Skate 2 – Time is Money Pack (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
* Skate 2 – Filmer Pack (was – £4.79/€5.99 now – £3.19/€3.99)
* Skate 2 – Dyrdek’s Fantasy Plaza Pack (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
* Skate 2 – San Van Classic Pack (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
* Dead Space – Scorpion Pack (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
* Dead Space – Obsidian Pack (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
* Dead Space – Military Pack (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
* Dead Space – Tank Pack (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
* The Godfather 2 – The Corleone Bundle (was – £7.99/€9.99 now – £4.79/€5.99)
* Burnout Dominator (PSP) (was – £17.99/€24.99 now – £11.99/€19.99)
* Burnout Legends (PSP) (was – £14.99/€19.99 now – £11.99/€14.99)
* Def Jam Fight for New York: The Takeover (PSP) (was – £15.99/€19.99 now – £7.99/€9.99)
* EA Replay (PSP) (was – £15.99/€19.99 now – £7.99/€9.99)
* Crash Team Racing (PSone Classic) (was – £3.99/€4.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
* Kula World (PSone Classic) (was – £3.99/€4.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)

Downloadable Games

* Hustle Kings (£6.29/€7.99) Rating: PEGI 3

Availability: All locales
PSone Game (emulated for PS3/PSP)

* Vagrant Story (£4.79/€5.99) Rating: PEGI 16

Demos (free)

* Dante’s Inferno – Gates of Hell Demo: Rating: BBFC 18/PEGI 18

Availability: Not available in Germany, Saudi Arabia, South Africa or UAE

* Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues: Rating: PEGI 7

Availability: Not available in Czech Republic, Poland, Russia, Saudi Arabia or UAE

* MX vs. ATV Reflex: Rating: PEGI 3

Availability: Not available in Czech Republic, Greece, Luxembourg, Poland, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa or UAE
minis (emulated for PS3/PSP)

* Cubixx (£2.49/€2.99) Rating: PEGI 3

Availability: Not available in Australia or New Zealand

* International Snooker (£3.99/€4.99) Rating: PEGI 3

Availability: Not available in Australia, New Zealand or Portugal

* Tiger Trouble (£2.49/€2.99) Rating: PEGI 3

Availability: Not available in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, Spain or Switzerland
Add-On Game Content

* LittleBigPlanet
o Pirates of the Caribbean Will Turner Costume (£1.59/€1.99)
o Pirates of the Caribbean Tia Dalma Costume (£1.59/€1.99)
o Pirates of the Caribbean Elizabeth Swann Costume (£1.59/€1.99)
o Pirates of the Caribbean Barbossa Costume (£1.59/€1.99)
o Pirates of the Caribbean Davy Jones Costume (£1.59/€1.99)
o Pirates of the Caribbean Sack Sparrow Costume (£1.59/€1.99)
o Pirates of the Caribbean Costume Kit (£4.79/€5.99)
o Pirates of the Caribbean Level Kit (£4.79/€5.99)

Rating: PEGI 7

* PAIN - Kato-San Character (Free) Rating: PEGI 16

* Dragon Ball Raging Blast – Ginyu Force Pack (free)

Rating: PEGI 12

* EyePet – Lucky Dip Styling Pack 10 (free) Rating: PEGI 3

* Rock Band
o (If You’re Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To by Weezer (£0.99/€1.49)
o Beverly Hills by Weezer (£0.99/€1.49)
o Let It All Hang Out by Weezer (£0.99/€1.49)
o Weezer Pack 03 (Contains the three tracks listed above) (£2.49/€3.99)
o A Lot Like Me by The Offspring (£0.99/€1.49)
o Build A Bridge by Limp Bizkit (£0.99/€1.49)
o Ocean Avenue by Yellowcard (£0.99/€1.49)

Availability: Not available in Czech Republic, Greece, Luxembourg, Poland, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa and UAE

* Guitar Hero 5
o Harder To Breathe By Maroon 5 (£1.59/€1.99)
o Hark The Herald Angels Sing By Steve Ouimette (£1.59/€1.99)
o New By No Doubt (£1.59/€1.99)
o Our Song By Taylor Swift (£1.59/€1.99)
o Celebrity New Years Rock Track Pack (£4.39/€5.49)

Availability: Not available in Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa and United Arab Emirates
Applications

* Adhoc Party Application (free)

Premium Avatars

* LittleBigPlanet – (£0.20/€0.25 each)
o Sackboy Avatar
o Craft Earth Avatar
o My Moon Avatar
o Sky Avatar
o Arrr! Avatar
o Marvin Avatar
o Gloria Avatar
o Great Blue Avatar
o Frost-E Avatar
o Hugo Avatar
o Lily Pad Avatar
o Christmas Tree Avatar
o Santa Avatar
o Giftboy Avatar

Videos (free)

* Digger HD Trailer
* Savage Moon: The Hera Campaign Trailer
* James Cameron’s Avatar: The Game Launch Trailer
* Hustle Kings Trailer
* PixelJunk Shooter Trailer

Themes (free)

(static themes)

* Gravity Crash Theme
* Mushroom Wars Theme

Premium Theme

(static theme)

* Disruptive Theme – Tropical Paradise Theme (£1.19/€1.49)

Wallpapers (free)

* Gravity Crash Wallpaper
* Gravity Crash Sun Wallpaper
* Gravity Crash Planet Wallpaper
* Gravity Crash Space Wallpaper

PlayStation Store via PSP and Media Go
Additional Special Offers (also available via the PS3 store)

* Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) (was – £23.99/€29.99 now – £16.99/€20.99) (reduced until the 21st of January)
* Resistance: Retribution (PSP) (was – £24.99/€39.99 now – £14.99/€19.99)
* LocoRoco 2 (PSP) (was – £19.99/€29.99 now – £7.99/€9.99)
* Numblast (PSP) (was – £3.99/€4.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)

Special Offers (also available via the PS3 store)

* Burnout Dominator (PSP) (was – £17.99/€24.99 now – £11.99/€19.99)
* Burnout Legends (PSP) (was – £14.99/€19.99 now – £11.99/€14.99)
* Def Jam Fight for New York: The Takeover (PSP) (was – £15.99/€19.99 now – £7.99/€9.99)
* EA Replay (PSP) (was – £15.99/€19.99 now – £7.99/€9.99)
* Crash Team Racing (PSone Classic) (was – £3.99/€4.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
* Kula World (PSone Classic) (was – £3.99/€4.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)

Downloadable Games (also available via the PS3 store)

* Savage Moon: The Hera Campaign (£6.29/€7.99) Rating: PEGI 7

* Thrillville: Off The Rails (£7.99/€9.99) Rating: PEGI 7

Availability: Not available in Russia
PSone Game (emulated for PS3/PSP)

* Vagrant Story (£4.79/€5.99) Rating: PEGI 16

minis

* Bowling 3D (£3.99/€4.99) Rating: PEGI 3

Availability: Not available in Saudi Arabia, South Africa or UAE

* Cubixx (£2.49/€2.99) Rating: PEGI 3

Availability: Not available in Australia or New Zealand

* International Snooker (£3.99/€4.99) Rating: PEGI 3

Availability: Not available in Australia, New Zealand or Portugal

* Tiger Trouble (£1.99/€2.99) Rating: PEGI 3

Availability: Not available in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, Spain or Switzerland

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/12/22/‘heads-up’-playstation-store-update-22nd-december-2009/

Just got emailed this 'PSN Premium survey' and holy shit the subscription packages they have planned are a complete fucking mess. Pricing for some are £99.99 per year and they still fail to offer EVERYTHING and then other are quite cheap per year and somehow have some of the best features but lack the ones that surely they could give away for free.

A complete fucking mess - just do 1 package and leave it as that.

It says on the EU blog that it's 'coming exclusively this winter onto the PSN'. But the way that's worded that could mean either its a ps3 exclusive or 'its going to be released this winter on the psn but then later on the 360'.

Got Hustle Kings earlier and it's pretty good! You can have a lot of control over the shots, the graphics are nice and even the music is decent (I believe you can use custom playlists as well). Pretty good buy really!

I've read that it's pretty good with a couple/few people playing, kinda like a social Professor Layton. But it's way too short and not worth the money unless it drops in price.

I feel that the ps3 needs some form of cross game invite feature. the chatroom has been one of the most useful and best feature of the PSN recently as me and my BAP mates find it very useful for organising and arranging BAP sessions..

whats needed now is cross game invite so i can either simply send invited to people or i click on their name and select "join session"

I just changed from 360 to PS3 this year and i must say the difference is HUGE, specially on exclusive PS3 games. The quality of Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2 is really impressive. Also the system itself is much more polish and reliable. I am extremely happy with the change!

I feel that the ps3 needs some form of cross game invite feature. the chatroom has been one of the most useful and best feature of the PSN recently as me and my BAP mates find it very useful for organising and arranging BAP sessions..

whats needed now is cross game invite so i can either simply send invited to people or i click on their name and select "join session"

It already has cross game invites and join sessions features. But sony don't force the devs to implement it so a lot don't.

The best games all offer it though. If you're on COD MW2 and they are on burnout, you send them the invite - they swap discs, accept the message you sent and they're in. Or they put Cod, load it up and pick your name and press triangle and then 'join session' and seconds later they're in your game.

It's not done the same way the 360 has it set up but the feature is there.

Guide to the invite system the PS3 has. not all games offer this but some of the bigger games like MW2 and Uncharted I think do.

http://community.eu.playstation.com...-to-quot-That-quot-Invite-System/td-p/9564653

Joining friends via Invites

As I mentioned before, you can send an invite to anyone, even if they are offline, or on your "players met" list.

Let's say I'm playing Ratchet:
original

When I get an invite

original

Notice that there are two options at the bottom there now? The one on the right is "reply" and the one on the left is "Join"

Obviously it's "join" you want, so let's select that

original

"To perform this operation you must quit [Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in time].

Do you want to quit the software now?" We select yes. The game quits back to XMB and displays this message

original

You are prompted to insert the Modern Warfare 2 disc (remember to remove whatever disc you have in there first). Once you have done so, press X to continue.

The game will load up, go into Multiplayer and plonk you in your friends game.

original

Ta da!

Last edited:
Just your save files really.

Make sure you 'deactivate' your account in account management on your 60gb before wiping it clean otherwise you'll lose one of your 5 system activation limits.

Back
Top Bottom