Sony PlayStation 3

According to PlayStation Insider (linked down), a PS3 Firmware 3.0 announcement and details of the new PlayStation Network are planned for Sony's 3-hour press event at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany next week.

To quote: "Our source told us that Sony is planning on announcing firmware 3.0 at the conference, while being very careful to point out that Sony might not release firmware 3.0 on that day, but that they will announce it and detail it's features, possibly in video form.

Our source also said it coincides with the release of the new PlayStation Network, however our source didn't go into any detail as to what this new PSN is supposed to feature. Sony did send out some e-mails recently hinting at a new PSN launching on the 18th, so that lends some credibility to these rumors.

If the price were right, that's something that many could find very appealing. Hopefully this firmware 3.0 will also come with some of our most sought after features, like cross game voice chat, voice or video messaging, etc."

http://psinsider.e-mpire.com/index.php?categoryid=17&m_articles_articleid=1288

The conference is no longer 3 hours long. A SCEE representative confirmed that its going to be about 1.5 hours long. Still expect some fairly big anouncements.

MAG arrives on Jan 26.

This could be my alternative to MW2, I haven't played an FPS for longer than 3/4 months. CoD4 was very good but Burnout came out and that was the end of CoD for me.

Its dodged the Christmas rush because Sony have Gran Turismo 5 releasing in December.;)

His highness has acquired more trophies :WORSHIP:

Hakoom.png

whoa... I'm almost about to hit 1000 and another platinum and I thought I was doing pretty well for myself but his stats just make me look like a n00b as they say..

Sony threw a little notice up on their support site overnight, letting everyone know that the PlayStation Network will be down for a couple of hours on August 18. Say, isn't that the day of Sony's GamesCom press conference?

My, it is.

The outage is expected to commence at 9am PST, August 18 in the US, which in Germany is 6pm on August 18. Say, isn't that the exact time Sony's Gamescom press conference kicks off?

My, it is.

There have been countless rumours of major new additions being made to the PSN in the coming months; looks like we could well be seeing the first of those tomorrow.

UK supermarket ASDA has begun selling the PS3 at "a new low price" of £250 - a move that adds further credence to reports of an official price-drop announcement at the Sony gamescom conference today.

The ASDA bundle includes an 80GB PS3, Terminator Salvation game, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines Blu-ray film and either Ghostbusters: The Game or inFamous.

A spokesperson for the shop, which also sells some trendy George clothes, told GamesIndustry.biz the offer would continue until PS3 stock runs out - as Sony is thought to be discontinuing the 80GB model.

Several European retailers - in France and Sweden - have also dropped their PlayStation 3 prices over the last week.

Rumours have long suggested that these price drops are clearing the way for the fabled PS3 Slim.

We'll know for sure later this evening, which is also when Sony will take the PlayStation Network offline for two hours, between 5-7pm BST. Why? We'll have to wait and see.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/asda-drops-80gb-playstation-3-price-to-250_5

German press conferences never have live streams.

I'll try looking around closer to the time I guess. If not I'll just make do with reading about it and then downloading the videos on the PS Store.

They'll put the conference on the store later tonight and it'll be in Home two hours later (after the conference) or so.

damn, Sony kept the slim under wraps well.
didn't expect to see it til later next year.
at least I have a buyer for my monolith.

PS3 Slim, FIFA10 & maybe PES2010...
looks like a good fall season.

Last edited:
Codemasters has told Eurogamer there will be a DiRT 2 demo on PSN and Xbox Live tomorrow.

The big draw will be a sample of the eight-player online mayhem, although a single-player snippet awaits, as well.

Sony Explains Why The PS3 Slim Has No Backwards Compatibility

Somewhere between the time Sony removed backwards compatibility from the previous PS3, and we knew there'd be a new PS3, people got to hoping that the feature would be brought back in the PS3 Slim. It hasn't.

Put a PS2 disc into the PS3 Slim and it won't play. Which for some will mean nothing, but for others, will mean a great deal. If that's you, and you're after an explanation, SCEA's director of marketing John Koller has one.

"Now that we're at a point where we're three years into the lifecycle of the PS3", he told us earlier today, "there are so many PS3 disc-based games that are available that we think — and noticed this from our research — that most consumers that are purchasing the PS3 cite PS3 games as a primary [reason]".

"And it's not just like 50 or 60 percent. It's well into the 80 or 90 percentile range who are purchasing it for PS3 [games]. We do know that there are next gen consumers wanting to come over the the PS3. Most of those are consumers who have not utilized their PS2 for a little while and they're ready to jump into the PlayStation 3."

Shame. A predictable shame, but a shame nonetheless.

PS3 Slim vs. Xbox 360 Price Fight

Sony's 80GB PS3 is $300 starting tomorrow and its similarly priced 120GB PS3 Slim is just a few weeks away, so how does a 25% price cut stack against the competition? Have a look at my chart below and see for yourself, and just remember, everyone has different wants and needs. Some people don't care about Wi-Fi and work around it with an Ethernet cable. Others think $50 a year for the "privilege" of playing online multiplayer is exorbitant. Don't assume those bottom line prices are necessarily your bottom line. Use the chart as a build-it-yourself tool.

170411-ps3-slim-versus-xbox-360_original.png

Points of clarification:

1. I've baselined with the 120GB hard drive this time around (see last time) since in my view it's become the minimum standard for juggling downloadable movies, games, music files, etc. (In fact for me, 120GB is almost too small.) That said, you can certainly build out an Xbox 360 Arcade with the $50 cheaper 60GB hard drive if you like, or stick with the Xbox 360 Pro's default 60GB.

2. The Xbox 360 Arcade comes with 5 arcade games and a 256MB memory unit, if that's of interest. The Xbox 360 Pro and Elite models have at various points sold with promotional games, but aren't currently. (Rumor is, Microsoft plans to phase out the Pro entirely and drop the price of the Elite to $300.)

3. All accessory prices taken from Gamestop, accessed 8/18/09. You can certainly find better deals if you shop around. As always, I picked a popular retailer to level set.

4. Remember that the above chart doesn't gauge the "soft" value of features like Xbox LIVE or PlayStation Home or any of the many intrinsic (by design) or gratis services included with either system.

Good, everyone should move on, plenty of games to play.

I'm sure it was at launch but I never used it so I can't really recall. I think .. and I'm pretty sure I'm right that they had a big list of games that did work and they were on the xbox site. But not all games worked. I did read a while ago that they've removed a lot of BC functionality, though the only game I remember specifically hearing about was some Tomb Raider that worked and then Microsoft did a 360 update and then it didn't.

Back
Top Bottom