Sony PlayStation 3

assed as a sequel and I thought that was great.

If everyone 'really' wanted NEW IPs then why do people pass on games like Mirrors Edge & Dead space, Beyond good and evil...

The general public are wankers and demand the latest FIFA, Gran Turismo, Halo, etc.

Games like Mirrors Edge just won't get the same chance because they're so new and the average punter isn't willing to spend x amount of pounds on something he/she doesn't know about.

It's a shame, because Mirror's Edge is one of the very best games of this gen.

Right guys, every time I get a new game I have to uninstall an old one. I've totally ran out of space on my hard drive and it's time to get a new one in there. If I want to play inFAMOUS or MGS I have to uninstall something and then wait five minutes for the new install to finish...

I have no idea about this though - what am I best to do, buy a specifically made for PS3 hard drive or get a normal decent-sized one off eBay? Will there be some things I can't backup? Any advice or guides you can point me to?

Thanks guys.

Any laptop hard drive is suitable, have you backed your game saves?

I think the only things that can't be backed up are a select group of game saves that include Killzone 2 and RSV2.

How big is your current drive? Go through your Game Data and check no games have installed that you don't play anymore.

But yep, as Tobi said, any laptop drive will do (2.5" SATA drive). Pretty cheap nowadays.

I think the only things that can't be backed up are a select group of game saves that include Killzone 2 and RSV2.

I hope LBP doesn't come in that category? I've got a feeling it does. Kids would go nuts if they had to start all over again!

I've got about 16GB left and I won't run out for a little while but I'm well tempted to pickup a bigger HD in the next few months.

Then I will have to work out how to back it all up etc. Not too good at that sort of stuff :(

I was able to copy my LBP save, I've still got the beta game save too.

Right guys, every time I get a new game I have to uninstall an old one. I've totally ran out of space on my hard drive and it's time to get a new one in there. If I want to play inFAMOUS or MGS I have to uninstall something and then wait five minutes for the new install to finish...

I have no idea about this though - what am I best to do, buy a specifically made for PS3 hard drive or get a normal decent-sized one off eBay? Will there be some things I can't backup? Any advice or guides you can point me to?

Thanks guys.

This one is one of the best drives to replace your PS3 one, as recommended by a few lads over at the AVForums. It's at the right drive speed and seems to be a lot faster at copying data over. I upgraded only a few weeks ago and bought this one, bargain at that price too and came within a few days. It's so easy to upgrade aswell you just pop the old drive out of the caddy, replace it with the new one and it does everything else for you. Great thread here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3/823886-hdd-upgrade-what-you-need-know.html - you don't need to register to view it either.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/35165...0GB-2-5-Internal-SATA-Hard-Drive/Product.html

Last edited:
I keep running out of space on my 60 gigger and then I'll spot about 6 installed games I forgot about about a gig to 2 gig in size.

Any laptop hard drive is suitable, have you backed your game saves?
No but I've got an 8gb USB memory stick, I'm presuming I can back them up to that?

Nooo! Not Killzone 2! I'll have to finish that before I get a new drive then...

MJ, cheers, I'll look for that exact drive if it's the best one to get. I want it to be as smooth as possible so if that's the best one to go for I'll go for that one.

Rad, hahaha, I found that at first. There were games on there I'd sold months ago, but now I'm at the point where I've got Burnout Paradise, Everybody's Golf, Gran Turismo 5 and something else on there - can't fit anything else on and I play them all regularly. As well as inFAMOUS and Metal Gear Solid, and a few more that I have to keep reinstalling to play.

Thanks for all the advice!

EDIT: MJ, the first review under that Play.com link says that it's a 7,200rpm drive but the listing says it's 5,400rpm - which is right? Does the speed matter? :BORED:

If the PS3 works with 7,200rpm I'd rather get that but if it poses a problem then obviously I'd want 5,400rpm.

Last edited:
No but I've got an 8gb USB memory stick, I'm presuming I can back them up to that?
Yes you can. I've got an 8GB USB stick, I regularly back up my games on it incase anything goes tits up.

But yes, as said earlier, some game saves cannot be copied - dunno why when most PS3 game saves are locked to your PSN ID so other people can't use them? :(

Its widely recommended to get a 5400rpm HDD, a 7200rpm could ruin the machine.

I back up my game saves and videos from the store onto the external HDD that I use for my laptop.

Chris, the guy in the first review is wrong as the WD3200BEVT I bought from Play.com at that address is 5400rpm and under the specifications part of the description it says 5400rpm.

I know a few people who are running 7200rpm drives fine and haven't really had any problems. However, the 5400rpm drives match the PS3 drives so you eliminate any possibility of the drive skipping etc. Get the WD3200BEVT Western Digital 320GB 2.5inch SATA 5400rpm 8mb cache and you'll be fine.

If you have a spare external hard drive I'd recommend using backup utility Settings>System Settings>Backup Utility. That way you keep everything you've downloaded and all your 'locked' save files including Killzone etc. Also, it saves you copying everything over one by one. It took me literally an hour from replacing the drive to restoring my backup data to the new drive and gaming again.

Last edited:
I was looking into the backup utility but it says you need a FAT32 formatted drive and the only external backup drive that I've got (which I'm using) is NTFS formatted. :(

Cheers for clearing everything up though, I'm ordering that drive shortly.

I'm using it though Tik, it's 500gb and I can't temporarily copy everything off it onto my normal hard drive because it's only a fifth of the size.

How much space do you have left on it? You could create a partition without having to format it and then have that section as FAT32 and leave the other intact.

I was thinking that, I've got 70gb left on it, but I had a quick look around Vista and couldn't find an easy way to set up a partition on it. The last thing I want to do is screw my backup drive up.

Sony's super-enjoyable Fat Princess was originally slated to be released in June. That's this month! Now, sadly, it turns out it won't be out this month.

Instead, it will now be out "at some point this summer". So sometime in July or August, then. Shame, but if it gives them extra time to make it extra delicious, we're all for it.

Incidentally, the release will be a worldwide one, which is a rare treat for Europeans accustomed to long delays on the PlayStation Network.

Incidentally, the release will be a worldwide one, which is a rare treat for Europeans accustomed to long delays on the PlayStation Network.

Or they just delayed the rest of the world to coincide with our release ;)

Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow

350315_1_hs.jpg

Examiner: "Sony is about the launch a new firmware update for the PS3. Available for download tomorrow, the new firmware 2.80 will be a basic update."

Updates:
Update: A new feature gamers want will be added.

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-350315.aspx

You can already send people invites if they're playing a different game though.
They just get a private message which after they've loaded the correct disc up they can open and join - or in some games they can go to your profile, press triangle and then click 'accept invite, or join game' or whatever it says.

What else is there that gamers ask for on the ps3 xmb?

I suppose there is the whole music support thing, but surely that's for each individual game to integrate.

Hmmm, it's got to be voice chat like the new text chat system. But, knowing Sony it'll be something minor.

Back
Top Bottom