Sony PlayStation 3

Singstar trophies.

I bought a Seal track recently, I'm gonna do a rendition and upload it, Billy Ocean too :D

Has anyone successfully sang the Pass the Dutchie yet?

Nice one Tobi, your vids are great :)

I can't remember my PTD score, I'll check tonight.

When are the trophies out?

No date yet.

I Noticed that one of the trophies unlocks a HOME reward, I hope its something decent.

Quite a few unlock HOME goodies, but a lot are to do with uploading vids and having people watch them as opposed to SingStar skills :(

(Not that I have any skills but still...)

Sony has told Eurogamer there will be no reduction in the UK price of PS2 - despite the fact it's being slashed in the rest of Europe and the US.

As reported on the PlayStation blog, the US price of PS2 will be 99.99 from tomorrow. That's equivalent to GBP 70 / EUR 75.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has also released a statement saying the Euro price of PS2 is being reduced to EUR 99 (GBP 93).

But a spokesperson for Sony UK told us, "There no plans to reduce the price of PS2 in the UK."

In a post on the US PS blog Sony exec John Koller wrote, "In the gaming industry, the typical lifecycle for a console is around five years, but because we build each of our platforms for a large and diverse consumer base, we design our platforms differently.

"With the original PlayStation and now PlayStation 2, we’ve proven that consumers can rely on our platforms for their gaming and entertainment needs for at least a decade."

Koller went on to point out there are nearly 1900 games available for PS2, with new titles due this year includeing MLB 09, Ghostbusters and Guitar Hero: Metallica.

"PlayStation 2 is a great option for families looking for ways to share their entertainment experiences together; they can rock out to Rock Band, test their trivia knowledge with Buzz!, or simply use the PlayStation 2 as their DVD or CD player," he added, clearly unaware that kids today couldn't tell the difference between a piece of physical media and a crisp packet.

Surely if someone wanted a PS2, they'd have bought one now? They've been available for ten years, I can't see knocking $20 off the price making a big difference.

Its a sly way of selling more PS Eye's, not entirely a bad thing though as it does add to the experience.

Do you have the 360 camera? I've read that it works on the PS3..

Are those SS trophies live now for all versions?

Have to dig it out again as I'm partial to the old singing games at the best of times. Really liking Lips too!

New Prince of Persia game is £9.99 today on Play, and it includes the DLC which is even better!

You are right Paul, a pretty poor update ... :(

Sorry

phpwvGaw3

:))

Text chat? Useless. What about voice chat, is that so hard to implement? Jeez Sony :ROLL:

I'd rather they charged for PSN than not added basic features like voice chat. The PS3 has been around for a while now, it's not like they haven't had time. And the 360 had it from the start.

Free or not, they're not showing much in the way of big changes on PSN apart from Home which has hardly impressed anyone despite the years of development.

Stealth features

- Copy/Paste in Browser.
- Censurship in the Text Chat ;)
- Internet Search function in the options for games (while in XMB).
- Inviting friends show online friends first.
- Trophies now updating faster (I'm not sure about this one since it's depending on Internet connections)
- Comparing trophies now shows - instead of 0% if the other person doesn't own the game.
- Browser faster and has less 'stalls' (Also not sure about this one, sounds like it could be Internet connections again)
- PS Store has scrollbars for the popular and new content lists.
- Text chat does display on the screen when you're playing the game, in the form of bubbles.
- More usability tips on features in the XMB.
- Themes arranged alphabetically.
- Joost now works.
- Dynamic Normalizer for music.

they showed big changes to the psn. for instance you could not access the XMB while playing a game mate.

These things take time man and SONY dont have a huge team of developers like MS do plus people are forgeting that MS are know for what?? SOFTWARE and xbox live is a software/service. MS will no doubt have much more experience on how to make a good software product more then sony

You're probably right about MS having more software experience but I'm pretty sure Sony have some damn fine coders working for them.

The PS3 has been out for two years now, and still lacks features that the 360 had at launch. TWO years! That's a long time, and for most consoles is usually half of that consoles lifespan. At this rate, by the time they DO implement voicechat then the new XBox will be out and be lightyears ahead again.

PSN is just disappointing, it really is. Free or not, they're in competition with another console and are losing sales to it. They need to start pulling their finger out and make PSN at least equal to XBL or people will continue to buy the 360 I'm afraid.

Decent update but censoring the chat is crazy, its like being in the FIFA dressing room all over again.

Its a private chat, you should be allowed to swear, Twitter is better than this.

You're probably right about MS having more software experience but I'm pretty sure Sony have some damn fine coders working for them.

The PS3 has been out for two years now, and still lacks features that the 360 had at launch. TWO years! That's a long time, and for most consoles is usually half of that consoles lifespan. At this rate, by the time they DO implement voicechat then the new XBox will be out and be lightyears ahead again.

PSN is just disappointing, it really is. Free or not, they're in competition with another console and are losing sales to it. They need to start pulling their finger out and make PSN at least equal to XBL or people will continue to buy the 360 I'm afraid.

good point mate but i think PSN is decent has it is. i never used voice chat on xbox live anyway btu cross game invite i really like though. i still got my 360 lying around somewhere but scared to get a gold account for it as i am not too sure it will survive another year without me needing to send it back again :(

Sony are definetly idiots though. you have got to put the blame on the managers and not the devs. has you said, im sure they have good coders working for them and adding cross gaming invite and voice chat wouldnt be such a huge task for them.

Don't get me wrong, PSN is decent and it does it's job well enough as it stands. But it's when you compare it to the 360, that's when it looks a bit shoddy really.

You're right about cross-game invites too, that's even bigger than voice-chat for me and I know from talking to friends and work colleagues that that's a MAJOR factor in them buying games on the 360 rather than the PS3 as it's easier to join up with other games instead of faffing around.

good point mate but i think PSN is decent has it is. i never used voice chat on xbox live anyway btu cross game invite i really like though. i still got my 360 lying around somewhere but scared to get a gold account for it as i am not too sure it will survive another year without me needing to send it back again :(

Sony are definetly idiots though. you have got to put the blame on the managers and not the devs. has you said, im sure they have good coders working for them and adding cross gaming invite and voice chat wouldnt be such a huge task for them.

Pretty sure the problem isn't as quick a fix as most assume. They have to make sure that games can run perfectly firstly, devs achieve this using as much of the PS3s spare memory as they need. Now sony come round and add something like in game XMB which uses a lot of memory so now they're balancing the game, the system and in game XMB. Then people demand something else and something else so they have to rework everything while making sure lauch titles that chewed up loads of memory work.

They basically screwed up at day 1 in the consoles development and i doubt they'll ever be able to match XBL. Still it play great games has great features and has no subscription service - some of the newer games have a new invite system as well. Resi 5 for example, if you are sent an invite to join a co-op game you just select that friend on your friend list and click accept and the game does the rest.

-----

Update installed and I like it. Trophies load super fast, text chat is alright with the little pop ups. No idea if or how it works if you're in a game and FINALLY we can arrange our music alphabetically - good stuff.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have a friend have no status when looking at your friend list on the Playstation site? Everyone else on my list has them either online or shows their last online date but my work colleague just has a grey circle.

Reason I ask is that he was using the auto-aim exploit on Killzone 2 and they were talking about banning people's PSN ID's if they were caught ...

You're right about cross-game invites too

What exactly is cross game invite and how does it work?
Don't see the problem with just receiving a message from somebody just saying fancy playing this?
Never owned a 360 so maybe I'm missing something here as I'm not sure what it does exactly.

What exactly is cross game invite and how does it work?
Don't see the problem with just receiving a message from somebody just saying fancy playing this?
Never owned a 360 so maybe I'm missing something here as I'm not sure what it does exactly.

Just read up on it. As I said above, no biggy as I receive a message from x asking me to play abc or I see what game they are playing anyway.

I can be in FIFA 09 and get a message inviting you into a Vegas 2 session. You'd press the XBox Guide button (equivalent of the PS button) and when you click the message, it'll have a box which would load up Vegas 2 and take you straight into the Vegas session.

This works for any game, regardless of whether the game has the feature or not. Makes it a lot easier to join friends' games.

It's just a lot easier as on the PS3 now, you get a message and you have to load that game up, then search for their game and join it manually. The 360 enables you to just press to join a friends game and you only have to change disc. It also allows you to see if someone is in an open multiplayer game, and if they are then you can join their game without an invite anyway. The PS3 requires you to have to have an invite or search out your friends game session.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom