Sony PlayStation 3

PS3 Firmware 2.52 update goes live

Sony's latest Firmware update has officially gone live. Users will be prompted to download the new update upon signing into the PlayStation Network. We've included the minor improvements of the update below.

- The playback quality of some PS3 format software has been improved.
- A text entry issue that occurs when using the on-screen keyboard, USB keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard with some PS3 format software has been addressed.

Upcoming USA PLAYSTATION® Store Content

Thursday, November 6th, 2008

LittleBigPlanet DLC

Available form 11/6 to 11/19
Launch Spacesuit and Halloween Mask-Free
Community Costumes-Free
Premium Costumes- $1.99 each

Basic SackBoy Costume Bundle - $2.99
At times, we’ll offer four basic costumes at a great price…to make things easier for the ‘must collect everything I see’ personalities

Premium SackBoy Costume Bundle - $5.99
Similar to the Basic SackBoy Costume Bundle, this premium version consists of four premium costumes for the price of three. All characters in premium bundles will revolve around a certain theme…more info to come in the near future.

NCAA Basketball 09 Demo

* The demo will consist of two match-ups: Kentucky vs Tennessee and 1979 Michigan State vs 1982 North Carolina

I wish they just make a demo channel in the psstore. It's f#$king annoying having to go through loads of other stuff just to see which demo is out.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/11/06/european-home-beta-expansion-imminent-open-beta-within-weeks/
i guess Rad maybe right. Home will come before xmas

Qore subscribers will be given the keys to Home today so, naturally, the assumption was that European beta invites will be sent out around the same time. While it seems that won't be happening today it shouldn't be too long. TedTheDog, community manager at the official European PlayStation forums, has said that a new wave of beta invites will be sent out once Home gets to version 1.0

The names of those who will be receiving invites have already been chosen, so it can't be too far away. If you're not on the list, though, Ted says not to worry as "Open Beta will be along within weeks of" the invites being sent out. Things are looking good for a beta launch happening before Christmas. Did you ever doubt it? Yeah, so did we.

It says on that site they've selected who already - but you could cross your fingers and hope.

Usually they do them based on your online activity. If you download lots of content, buy content, play online a lot, have a decent sized friends list, send lots of messages between them.

But you always get some lucky son of a... who gets a beta invite despite owning no games, having no friends and who has only JUST bought the console.
--

The main place for EU betas is this site
http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board?board.id=138

They post announcements about betas in there whenever they crop up (along with other competitions from sony where you can win games or goodie bags - i came second in the halloween comp the other day missing out on a big goodie bag of ps3 stuff)

My mates got a problem with his 60gb PS3 :(

Took me months and months to persuade him to get one, brought one from AVF (off a reputable seller) and he's had it 2 weeks - last 2 days when he turns it on, it freezes after a few seconds.

I've just talked him through restoring the system - which went ok on a quick format, he went through all the set-up stuff again fine and got to the 'dashboard' where after 5 seconds it just froze again.

Tried with the internet in and out - checked all the cables etc.

Any ideas chaps?

I've heard that on some of the older PS3s the information bar can cause crashing to occur. Try turning that off in settings. Or, make sure the ps3 is updated to the latest firmware.

Also have you tried the fan test? There my be a lot of dust/crap inside that's preventing the PS3 from operating properly. Try holding the PS3 upside down till the fans kick in and blow all the dust out. Make sure a disk isn't in.

YouTube - Ps3 fan test for all PS3's

I've heard that on some of the older PS3s the information bar can cause crashing to occur. Try turning that off in settings. Or, make sure the ps3 is updated to the latest firmware.

Also have you tried the fan test? There my be a lot of dust/crap inside that's preventing the PS3 from operating properly. Try holding the PS3 upside down till the fans kick in and blow all the dust out. Make sure a disk isn't in.

Cheers, I'll get him to check that out next.

What about getting it back to Sony to replace/repair? Think there is a chance of that and if so, how much do they charge normally?

Didn't the seller indicate there were any problems? I wouldn't be happy if I bought a PS3 and two weeks later it acted up, just sounds a bit dodgy I guess.

The fan test is a big risk, you might get away with it but it can also screw you over.

The Week 1 LBP T Shirt isn't on the US store. £4 is a fucking joke, I've bought PSN games for £5 and they want to charge that much for a T Shirt. I hope they get blasted across the net and it forces them to revise that price.

Last edited:
Didn't the seller indicate there were any problems? I wouldn't be happy if I bought a PS3 and two weeks later it acted up, just sounds a bit dodgy I guess.

You sound as bad as my mate!

In my eyes, its 'tough luck' - you buy something second hand and you know the risks that come with it, its a bit of a gamble.

If we'd got it home and first time we tried it, it was crashing or not working, then I'd agree with you, but some 2 weeks later (where it HAS been working fine), I'd say thats just unlucky - no matter how dodgy it looks.

I've been in touch with the seller and he says it never did that for him and he is really embarrassed about it, so we are trying to work something out.

But like I say, its just one of those things...

The seller is being really good about it and said he will refund us up to £40 for either the repair, or the difference in what my mate paid (up to £40) if we sell it on Ebay as 'faulty' (he says can fetch up to £140 on Ebay for faulty 60gbs and from looking, I'd say he's right).

So bit of light at the end of the tunnel...

Everyweek I watch Fringe and everyweek I rack my brain as to where I've heard Anna Torv's voice before, I can relax now, she did the voice for Nariko in Heavenly Sword.

Make another Sony!

The seller is being really good about it and said he will refund us up to £40 for either the repair, or the difference in what my mate paid (up to £40) if we sell it on Ebay as 'faulty' (he says can fetch up to £140 on Ebay for faulty 60gbs and from looking, I'd say he's right).

So bit of light at the end of the tunnel...

My friends have had Sony replace PS3's with no hassle; basically ring them, explain it's buggered and they'll arrange a collection and drop you another refurb or new model off within a week in their experience.

My 60gig broke down the other month and i swapped it at the store, not an option for your friend but the chap at the shop said the 60 gig was getting returned a lot and had numerous problems.

Again two of my pals have had there's breakdown, the last one went off on a Thursday game sesh, he contacted them Friday and had a new machine delivered Tuesday and he said it was hassle free.

I've done it on my PS3 when the video was posted (and before the mass warnings went up all over the place). Did no damage whatsoever, apart from the damage done to my eyes by all of the dust blown into them. I was surprised it didn't take off it's that loud, but it's still a tiny bit quieter than a 360 starting up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom