Sony PlayStation 3

Finally it looks as though the more tatically alined of us, in Europe of course, will have the chance to play the upcoming SOCOM in its beta form. It'll be the same trial as North America and run on the same date; September 1st to the 30th.

Here's the comment from the PlayStation Blog.

Hi all!
Okay, this is the news you’ve all been waiting for. I’m happy to confirm that Europe will indeed be getting access to the same Beta trial as our brethren in North America! Furthermore, our trial will begin on the SAME date (1st Sept) and will also end at the same time (30th Sept).

You’ll be pleased to hear that it will be possible to play against not only gamers in Europe, but also those in North America, Oceania and Asia too! Access to this "multiplayer demo" varies by country, so keep your eyes peeled for your unique promotional voucher.

Should any unforeseen circumstances affect our plans then I’ll make sure to keep you updated here...

Nice.

Sony has said Quest for Booty, the standalone follow-up to Ratchet & Clank PS3, will only cost GBP 10 - both as a downloadable PSN game and Blu-ray release.

The disc-based version will be available from 12th September. And the PSN offering, as we know, will be out this Thursday.

Quest for Booty is a piratical adventure with popular salty pirate past-times such as chasing treasure, drinking rum, exploring caves and battling robotic baddies lead by Captain Angstrom Darkwater.

The game should last around three to five hours, apparently, and easily looks as impressive as Ratchet & Clank: Future Tools of Destruction.

Look out for our Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty review this week.

This is interesting

EB Canada Offers Hazy Force Unleashed Buyback Guarantee
You may remember back in March, when EBGameStop announced a too good to be true buyback program of sorts for the PLayStation 3 title Haze, in which they offered gamers a chance to trade-in the title for full purchase price in case they didn't enjoy the game. Fortunately for GameStop, Ubisoft pulled the emergency brake on that deal, but now GameStop Canada has brought back their gaming guarantee, only this time for a title that might not suck. Players picking up Star Wars: The Force Unleashed within seven days of release have a week to return the title for full-price store credit should they dislike the game, or beat it early.

I'm not seeing anything about this program outside of Canada, which is probably due to the fact that GameStop knows those friendly Canadians are just too gosh-darn polite to take advantage, while in the states they'd have 50% of their inventory back by Friday.

Sony has been working with the makers of Guitar Hero World Tour, Rock Band, SingStar and Rock Revolution to ensure PS3 instrument peripherals will work across all of those titles.

"For the past several months, we have been working closely with Neversoft and Activision, Harmonix and Konami to ensure that PlayStation 3 guitars and drum-sets will all feature a basic level of gameplay compatibility," said Michael Shorrock, boss of third-party relations at Sony, on the US PlayStation blog.

"For the most part, this means that the titles with musical peripherals will work with the other's software. A few specific examples include: Guitar Hero World Tour's guitars and drums will work with Rock Band 2 and Konami's Rock Revolution software.

"And yes, you guessed it, Rock Band 2's guitar and drum-set will work with Guitar Hero World Tour and with Rock Revolution," he added.

Shorrock added that the drums from Rock Revolution will work in both Guitar Hero World Tour and Rock Band 2. The latter games will also support the SingStar microphones in the same way a loving family would.

Sony is working on ways to make previously-released music games compatible with each other, too.

Perhaps this means each developer will add more game-specific design features into their peripherals to tempt you to part with your money.

Activision Blizzard announced parallel to E3 that Guitar Hero World Tour on Xbox 360 would support instruments from Rock Band 2.

Activision Blizzard also recently told us Logitech had been given the green-light to make third-party instruments for Guitar Hero World Tour.

:DANCE:

I'll be buying GH4 now that I don't have to buy instruments as well :DD Or I'll see what the GH4 instruments are like and maybe sell off my RB1 kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
:DANCE:

I'll be buying GH4 now that I don't have to buy instruments as well :DD Or I'll see what the GH4 instruments are like and maybe sell off my RB1 kit.

Yup, spot on - great news!

I'll prob sell RockBand kit and buy the full GH4 - OR, depending on budget, just buy GH4 solus.

Its great to have the choice now!

So that's why Top Spin 3 didn't have Wimbledon.

The Sony event has finished and I'll definitely get the wireless keypad although I wish it was an actual keyboard, Michael Jackson tracks on the SingStore is awesome and will take a lot of my money, when my brother and sister hear about Singstar Disney I will be bombarded until I buy it.

The 160GB PS3 + £70 of downloadable content is a sweet deal but I'll stick to my plan of upgrading to 320GB HDD. The music service sounds great in theory but if there is no Rap n RnB then I wont be happy at all.

Where is the Heavy Rain footage.

All in all, their event had no megaton stuff, no mention of HOME beta, the SOCOM beta or R2 beta WTF!!!

Nah no news on the LBP reveal...loading the Heavy Rain video now...

GC 2008: 160GB PlayStation 3 hitting Europe Oct. 31

With game installations, downloadable content and digitally distributed titles cluttering up our PlayStation 3's brain, it comes as little surprise to see Sony announcing yet another SKU with increased storage capacity. The word from its 2008 Games Convention press conference is that a 160 gigglebyte model -- which is otherwise identical to others units -- will be hitting Europe on October 31st, complete with €70 worth of downloadable game content. But is the €449 price tag a trick or a treat?

We're checking with Sony regarding any plans to release this model elsewhere.

GC 2008: PS3 wireless keypad with mouse input

keypad.jpg

At its Leipzig Games Convention press conference today, Sony unveiled a wireless keypad peripheral that attaches to the top of the PlayStation 3 controller (presumably into the mini-USB port). The keypad also features a "touchpad mode" for mouse input. Pricing was not revealed, but the device will be released in 8 different languages.

It's worth noting that MadCatz released an attachable thumbpad for PS3 in April 2007.

Last edited:
I just realised still no wireless mics for Singstar, seriously :censor:

Heavy Rain looks incredible, anyone found a direct feed video yet?

Last edited:
There is a better quality version here, might have to wait till Thursday for direct feed.

GC 2008: PS3 wireless keypad with mouse input

keypad.jpg

At its Leipzig Games Convention press conference today, Sony unveiled a wireless keypad peripheral that attaches to the top of the PlayStation 3 controller (presumably into the mini-USB port). The keypad also features a "touchpad mode" for mouse input. Pricing was not revealed, but the device will be released in 8 different languages.

It's worth noting that MadCatz released an attachable thumbpad for PS3 in April 2007.
looks like somthing from the matrix. also where can i buy the madcatz one?

That keypad looks crap tbh.

And lemme guess, the 160gb PS3 will have all of the features of the 40/80gb eg...nothing useful effectively.

Thank fuck I got a 60gb. Especially with the infinite upgrade capabilities.

Acclaim boss David Perry has said that Sony will not be able to make a decent profit on PS3 sales due to selling the console at a loss, GamesIndustry.biz reports.

The outspoken game developer claimed the platform holder had lost more money on PS3 than it made during the five year sales peak of PS2.

"Because of the cost of making the PlayStation 3 and because they sold it at a loss, Sony basically has pretty much no chance of making money on the PS3, because it's lost more money than they made during the entire peak of the PlayStation 2 - it's not going to happen again for Sony," said Perry during his GCDC keynote speech yesterday.

"If they release the PlayStation 4 and have an even more expensive console and raise the cost of games by ten dollars, that would not be good."

Perry suggested Sony's much-talked-about ten-year plan for PlayStation 3 was a way to claw back development costs in the long-term.

"So this is going to force them to make the PS3 last longer and they're kind of positioning to do that," he added.

Rip your PS2 tracks to SingStar PS3 with new firmware

SingStar seems to be taking a page out of the Rock Band playbook as the next firmware update will come with a pleasant feature.

That's right, the PlayStation 3 will soon allow you to rip PS2 SingStar tracks for use with your PS3 version. There isn't much else known about this update such as when we can expect it, but we'll keep you up to date when the information leaks out.
http://www.psu.com/Rip-your-PS2-tracks-to-SingStar-PS3-with-new-firmware-News--a0004574-p0.php

That why Sony want stay 10 years on the market with the PS3, i don't think Sony waiting David Perry for know that...

It won't be fully supported by Sony for that long though I bet.

Especially if there's a new Xbox out next year. It'll force Sony's hand and they'll forget about this ten year plan, cause they can't afford another PS3 debacle.

I VERY VERY much doubt another XBox next year. Not until 2010 at LEAST, more likely 2011/2012.

Back
Top Bottom