Sony PlayStation 3

How much did you guys pay?

CD-Wow has the black one for £35.99.

Is it really worth the price of a game just for rumble and a bit more sturdiness?

Is it worth it, in your opinion, JB?

£34.99 from ShopTo, I'll probably go with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, more sturdy-feeling (well heavier) than the standard pads and the rumble should have always been there. When I use the standard pads now it feels wrong, but then it did from the beginning, I hate them personally. They look and feel like something you would buy for a quid and give to a child, like those plastic mobile phones.

£30 is a fair price I reckon. Would never have paid £40 though, they can get bent.

I love how the guy skips around saying "achievement(s)", he says "you accomplish things, you can see what you've accomplished, you can see all your accomplishments"... He says "accomplish" in some form or another about ten times. Accomplish has now lost all meaning, accomplish accomplish accomplish. :lol:

Can't wait for this, the main things are in game messaging and music for me, trophies are cool but im only a casual gamer so i doubt il be completing many of them.

I dare not go on gamefaqs now - im guessing the 360 section will be full of ps3 trolls trolling about how xbl offers nothing different now and the ps3 board will be full of 360 trolls saying how achievements are better

PS2 games coming to the PlayStation Store?

93024-PS2_store-1%20copy.jpg

While not official, the above picture gives me hope. This little gem comes from the N4G boards, where a board member claims this shot came from a Sony London employee. He says that a new PlayStation 2 Store will be announced at E3, and its launch is marked for late summer. And it's supposed to launch in Europe!

Of course, none of this is confirmed. But the screenshot looks real enough. If you squint (or use the larger one in the gallery below), you can see Metal Gear Solid 2, Fantavision, The Bouncer, Ridge Racer V, Smuggler's Run, Red Faction, and SSX. The highlighted selection, MGS2, lists for £12.99.

Larger image
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/LukyNumber7/PS2_store-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, heard that a while ago. They'll co-incide with new firmware to be released around September-time which will install a PS2 software emulator for the newer models that don't have any BC.

NEW PS3 MODEL TO BE REVEALED AT E3

Product Features

* CPU 3.2 GHz Cell Broadband Engine with 1 PPE & 7 SPEs
* GPU 500 MHz NVIDIA/SCEI "RSX"
* Media Blu-ray Disc, DVD, CD (all models)
Super Audio CD (20 GB, 60 GB, 80 GB models)
* System storage 2.5" SATA hard drive
(20 GB, 40 GB, 60 GB, or 80 GB included)
* Controller input Up to 7 Sixaxis/DualShock 3 controllers
* 13" by 11" grilling surface
* Grills up to 10 chicken breasts at once
* Double coated non-stick grill cooks from top to bottom for fast, even and complete grilling results
* Grill channels carry run off grease and fat into a separate tray
* Floating hinge for even cooking of thicker meats and food
* Thermostat controlled ready light

grillstation3_01.jpg

Will voice-messaging/private chat be featured in 2.40 as well? If not, can we expect to see this feature added in the future?

We are evaluating the opportunity to offer voice chat, but for this update, we wanted to focus on text messaging as the key priority for communications that our users have asked for.

Can you use the web browser in game?

No, you must exit the game before browsing the internet.

Will In-Game XMB come up during playback of PS2 games, Blu-Ray discs, and DVDs?

The XMB is an exclusive feature for PS3 game titles. Accessing the XMB during gameplay was the top request from our users, which we focused on for this update. However, we continually engage PS3 owners for feedback and will evaluate the opportunity to offer XMB access during movie playback in the future.

Can we go to the display settings and change anything there in-game (resolution, input, etc)?

No, you must exit the game before changing these settings.

Will it be possible to change in-game the sound output?

Yes, sound output changes are supported.

Will we be able to access the PLAYSTATION Store while in-game?

No, but you can view your downloads in progress.

Will we be able to stream music (either via media server or USB drive) for custom soundtracks or is it relegated to music stored on the HDD?

Currently only music stored on the HDD is accessible in games that support this feature. We’d also like to reiterate that Firmware v2.40 merely enables custom soundtracks. It’s up to developers to include this feature in upcoming games (or to patch existing ones).

Does 2.4 enable cross game invites? Will it down the line?

No, cross-game invites are not available in this system software update. We are evaluating opportunities to expand on the new features delivered in 2.40.

Will trophies be mandatory for all games release here on out?

We are working with developers to ensure that Trophies are supported across the board in the future.

Where is each player’s trophy stat info held? I am going to upgrade my hard drive and I don’t know if the trophies will still be on my account if I earn some and then get a new hard drive.

Trophies will be attached to users’ PSN ID. Trophy data needs to be synchronized to the online account on PSN to be transferred to the new PS3 system.

Will the patch automatically allocate unlocked trophies according to your saved files or would you have to do it again?

No, Trophies aren’t retroactive.

Can we view PSN profiles/Trophies from a PC using a Web browser? Will there be an API for web developers to access the PSN data, so online profiles can be created?

We’re evaluating these opportunities to expand where Trophies can be experienced.

Can you only compare trophies with friends that are online?

As long as a friend has a PSN account, you can compare trophies with them regardless of their online status.

Is there a limit to how many trophies the devs can put set by Sony?

There’s not a limit on number of trophies, but there’s a value assigned to each trophy. Developers must balance out the trophies that are available to stay within an overall value based on whether the game is considered large-scope or small-scope. Essentially, a user that has unlocked every trophy in one game would have the same level as a user that unlocked every trophy in another title, all titles (depending on scope) have the same overall impact on a users’ level.

Will new games have a cool little icon on the back saying “trophy compatible?”

We’re currently working on how Trophy support will be messaged to the consumer on our software packaging.

When you get a trophy, does it make a noise?

Currently, no. How quickly things can change - there *will* be a sound effect when you unlock a Trophy.

Will we be able to stream music (either via media server or USB drive) for custom soundtracks or is it relegated to music stored on the HDD?

Currently only music stored on the HDD is accessible in games that support this feature. We’d also like to reiterate that Firmware v2.40 merely enables custom soundtracks. It’s up to developers to include this feature in upcoming games (or to patch existing ones).
Great, no use to me then. :DOH:

Bloody 'Ell - it's like they went out of their way to ask as many questions as possible that would obviously have a negative answer.

-

Will the patch automatically allocate unlocked trophies according to your saved files or would you have to do it again?

No, Trophies aren’t retroactive.

That is very annoying and even if motorstorm and whatever offer them after the update I'm not going back and replaying that crap.

EDIT

This is one of the advantages of coming in to a new field second. Microsoft entered the achievement field and the first thing that happened with the system was that certain people exploited the system and swapped saves to fly up the leaderboards and get points they didn't deserve.

Sony, having witnessed the madness that surrounded the whole "gamesave" debacle and have decided to make the PS3 saves not work retroactively. PS3Fanboy confirmed this earlier on, as well as the Official Playstation Blog. This was to the delight of new Trophy hunters but to the dismay of those who were hoping to load up some old saves for easy Trophies. Looks like you'll be playing all those games again.

Wow, this could actually be a level playing field throughout! We're still praying for the inclusion of some sort of leaderboard. Come on Sony, pull through for us!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/news-3-Trophy-System-NOT-Retroactive.html

I hope to god devs don't block the copy ability on save files though.

Last edited:
why didn't Sony just copy XBL when it first came out?

why wait and then copy it? Surely a service like XBL with the store and what not on the PS3 would be a massive selling point

Bloody 'Ell - it's like they went out of their way to ask as many questions as possible that would obviously have a negative answer.

-

That is very annoying and even if motorstorm and whatever offer them after the update I'm not going back and replaying that crap.

EDIT

I hope to god devs don't block the copy ability on save files though.

Think if you load a game save, then it disables Trophies for that game...

I am finding it very hard to find a Playstation 3 in Manchester or Blackburn, went to Game, HMV, Zavvi and Gamestation and all of them are sold out. Surely demand for the PS3 is not that high? Very poor of Sony to get themselves into this situation, particularly with MGS4 having just come out which is going to stimulate demand, I am was trying to find one for a friend because he wants as he is a hugh MGS and GTA fan, but now he has gone and bought a 360 because he got fedup of waiting.

Could've gotten one REALLY easily on AVForums, loads come up in Manchester/Warrington area.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785609 , okay it's in Newcastle but £230 delivered is still a fair price.

Thanks for that, if it was for myself I would buy it from there but my friend like a huge number of consumers prefer to buy things new and from high street retailers. All I am saying that it is poor that Sony are having stock shortages at this time of the year.

I am was trying to find one for a friend because he wants as he is a hugh MGS and GTA fan, but now he has gone and bought a 360 because he got fedup of waiting.

A huge MGS4 fan who got fed up after 1 day of searching and bought a 360 so he can't play MGS4?

Surely he could have ordered one from online somewhere and got a good deal and next day delivery?

Though if his attention span is so short he can't even handle 1 day of searching before blowing his load prematurely on a 360 then maybe he's better off with a console designed for the short attention span generation.

A huge MGS4 fan who got fed up after 1 day of searching and bought a 360 so he can't play MGS4?

Surely he could have ordered one from online somewhere and got a good deal and next day delivery?

Though if his attention span is so short he can't even handle 1 day of searching before blowing his load prematurely on a 360 then maybe he's better off with a console designed for the short attention span generation.

:oooh:

Quite right, he can't be much of a MGS fan if he's gone a bought a 360 instead....;))

He has been looking for over a week. He has been to every retailer and does not want to buy online as he prefers to buy at High Street Retailers.

I am not flaming Sony as I have a PS3 and love it but it is very surprising/annoying that Sony are having PS3 shortages at this time of the year.

Back
Top Bottom