Sony PlayStation 3

He does make some valid points though. Games should be making the most of the Blu-Ray discs, and XMB does need to add a few more features.

That was a right go at Sony that there, it'd be funny to see Sony's response. It'd be like DJ v PBoreham in the professional world! :LOL:

:LOL: THat would be good!

Hopefully the XMB stuff will be here in the summer and think its still wait and see with BluRay. Obviously the capacity is there, and the makers of Mirrors Edge seemed to like the ability to store and use much higher res textures than the 360 version.

But at the cost of that is seemingly slower access times, hence the need to install onto the HDD.

Would you prefer games to install to the HDD more (decreasing load times) like a PC? Or would you prefer the Blu-Ray to be used and have more data?

I like the idea of installing to the HDD to decrease loading but it does seem a shame to not use the full disc space.

Would you prefer games to install to the HDD more (decreasing load times) like a PC? Or would you prefer the Blu-Ray to be used and have more data?

I like the idea of installing to the HDD to decrease loading but it does seem a shame to not use the full disc space.

Yea, I love having the HDD installs - especially as it means fast loading - and user patching ability like for UT3.

Think the full BR CAN be used, but apparantly it has trouble seeking all the way across - which is why the installs started. Sure I read somewhere that (I think) it was Uncharted that is written to the BR 4 times over - so the drive head can jump around the files quicker.

I would imagine GTA V would be amazing if it was a PS3 exclusive and could use the whole BR.

How come Blu-ray did not result in better games?

Because devs won't spend more money and extra years making the blue ray version better than the dvd 360 version when they can just port the 360 version across.

What happened with Sixaxis and rumble?

Everyone knows that - the lawsuit!

Ron Festejo, Home’s creative director, has confirmed that Home will enter its open beta phase in November this year.
“Home is currently in a closed beta phase,” he said, speaking at last week’s SCEE PlayStation Day in London. “We have between 8,000 and 10,000 users in this closed beta phase. Around July we’re going to be expanding on the closed beta phase and allowing more people to gradually come in, and then in November this year we’ll be going to the open beta.”
He added: “The extension to the closed beta allows us to have more conversations with our community. We’re very much in close conversations with them. A lot of the changes we’ve done have been the result of feedback. We’ve asked the community a lot of questions, they’ve given us a lot of feedback as to what they think needs improving, and we’re doing that, so it’s managing expectations.”
There’s more in this Eurogamer TV report, mainly about game-launching in Home, how to set up sessions, and so on. Take a look.

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/05/12/sony-confirms-november-for-home-open-beta/

Damn what happened to this summer :(

No point releasing it broken is there?

Sony get blasted alot for doing that so now they are realeasing it when happy with it which is a good thing right?

Also I thought 360 had a 8million lead over PS3? Only 5 million with a 1.5 year headstart..not great!

Any the reason why Gears 2 can be released while Killzone has not been is the 360 is like a PC, the Unreal Engine is suited to it and we all know that the Gears will be pratically the same just prettier and some gameplay additions...why? IT WILL SELL ANYWAY!!

As desperate as we are (well, I am!) for Home, I really appreciate what they are doing with it.

Basically (apparantly), they took it back to the drawing board as initially it was just going to be a social thing with the minigames, videos etc.

But after feedback, they realised the community wanted much deeper integration with games and friends etc. So now, they are working on being able to launch games from within Home - including like launching into a game (GT5 for example) with all your friends currently in your appartment.

Think its a great idea and I'm happy to wait till they get it right - think its gone beyond a gimmick now and it will become the PS3 front end (probably an option to boot straight into Home). If so - and if sucessful, it is going to make the 360 look really dated - and I promise I am not fishing for a flame war. I mean Home is going to revolutionise online gaming systems from menu driven, to this 3D style social driven kind of thing.

Would not surprise me in the slightest to back this point up, that the 'XBOX 720' doesnt get announced with a similar front-end when the time comes around.

Xbox doesnt need a Virtual World interface IMO. Live is perfectly good as it is. No gimmicks required to boost it ;)

I was just summising that come the launch of Home, if successful, then front ends like Live will suddenly look very dated*.

(*Not that Live is in anyway bad at all, in fact I think its smashing. As is the XMB, Windows, OSX PSP XMB and... erm... others)

XMB works well and I like it on both the PS3 and PSP. I am interested to see how home turns out. I also want to see Sony really make the most of Firmware updates and not release silly little pointless updates that no one is really fussed about..... When is the Dual Shock 3 coming to the UK?

If home works well - then It will make Live look a bit dated I agree.

But there is a lot there to make work - The worse thing they could do is release it when its not finished and they are sure it will work - so it looks like they are doing the right thing.

If home works well - then It will make Live look a bit dated I agree.

But there is a lot there to make work - The worse thing they could do is release it when its not finished and they are sure it will work - so it looks like they are doing the right thing.

Exactly release it when they are happy no point rushing it to please Sony bashers. I am glad its now less gimmicky and remember Sony could of just ripped off Live and gotten away with it. They didnt and yes its delayed but at least they are trying something new and refreshing so i am more than happy waiting.

As desperate as we are (well, I am!) for Home, I really appreciate what they are doing with it.

Basically (apparantly), they took it back to the drawing board as initially it was just going to be a social thing with the minigames, videos etc.

But after feedback, they realised the community wanted much deeper integration with games and friends etc. So now, they are working on being able to launch games from within Home - including like launching into a game (GT5 for example) with all your friends currently in your appartment.

Think its a great idea and I'm happy to wait till they get it right - think its gone beyond a gimmick now and it will become the PS3 front end (probably an option to boot straight into Home). If so - and if sucessful, it is going to make the 360 look really dated - and I promise I am not fishing for a flame war. I mean Home is going to revolutionise online gaming systems from menu driven, to this 3D style social driven kind of thing.

Would not surprise me in the slightest to back this point up, that the 'XBOX 720' doesnt get announced with a similar front-end when the time comes around.

I agree totally Paul. I think 'Home' is going to be exciting as a front end.

Good news, mates, getting my ps3 soon, therefore wanna ask a couple of questions.

- is it possible to connect usb mouse and keyboard (PC ones) to ps3?
- I own Logitech PC wheel (usb too) will I be able to connect it and play some games with it on ps3? has anyone tried?

Good news, mates, getting my ps3 soon, therefore wanna ask a couple of questions.

- is it possible to connect usb mouse and keyboard (PC ones) to ps3?
- I own Logitech PC wheel (usb too) will I be able to connect it and play some games with it on ps3? has anyone tried?

Welcome aboard!

Yes all (i think) USB keyboard and mice work fine - I've got a Logitech Wireless keyboard with a mousepad built in which is handy.

As for the wheel - I'm pretty sure I saw that in the GT5 setup as that supports most Logitech wheels. Which one is it?

Welcome aboard!

Yes all (i think) USB keyboard and mice work fine - I've got a Logitech Wireless keyboard with a mousepad built in which is handy.

cool thanks. mine are both logitech too :)

As for the wheel - I'm pretty sure I saw that in the GT5 setup as that supports most Logitech wheels. Which one is it?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/playstation_3/devices/131&cl=gb,en - that's the one I got, and as it's written there in specifications it's compatable with playstation 3 yarrr!!! Great news after all.

Got my PS3 some days ago. But there has always been something I have been wondering about. How come a game thats released on the 360 have 1080p and with the same game on PS3 only have 720p? Seems like most games on PS3 have 720p while you can get the same games on the 360 with 1080p..

where did you hear that from? no game runs at 1080p on a 360.it upscales them just like the ps3

I assumed as it says on the back of a cover the game has 1080p(360)and on the same game on PS3 it says only 720p on the back, thats why. So they both upscales it to 1080p? So games on the 360 that says 1080p on the back, upscales it right? Guess that makes sense. It just seemed weird that it only says 720p on the PS3, It gives impression that games on 360 are 1080p while the same games on PS3 are 720p. But thanx for answering.

Ps: There are some games that are actually 1080p right(Gears of War etc?)

where did you hear that from? no game runs at 1080p on a 360.it upscales them just like the ps3

actually

Native 1080p games available for the Xbox 360 include the following 3 titles:

[native 1080p] Boogie Bunnies [Xbox Live Arcade]
[native 1080p] Street Home Court
[native 1080p] Virtual Tennis 3

Box advertised 1080p games available for the Xbox 360 include the following 35 total titles. Purists will view native 1080p as the best possible resolution, not 720p titles upscaled to 1080p. The titles below show 1080p on the back of the game boxes but have not been confirmed by third party sources as being native 1080p.

A (2)
All Pro Football 2K8
Armored Core 4

B (4)
Battlefield 2 (Platinum Hits)
The Bigs
new! Bioshock
Bullet Witch

C (3)
Call of Duty 3
Call of Juarez
Command & Conquer 3

D (2)
Dead or Alive 4 (Platinum Hits)
Dance Dance Revolution Universe

F (2)
Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fight Night Round 3

G (1)
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

H (3)
Harry Potter
new! Halo 3
Hour of Victory

I (1)
Icon

M (2)
Meet The Robinsons
Monster Madness Battle for Suburbia

N (2)
NCAA 08 Football
NCAA 07 March Madness

O (1)
Overlord

P (1)
Pirates of the Carribean

R (2)
Ratatouilio
Rayman Raving Rabbit

S (5)
Saints Row
Shadowrun
Spiderman 3
Superman Returns
Surf’s Up

T (2)
Tetris Evolution
new! Two Worlds

U (1)
UEFA Championship Soccer

V (1)
Vampire Rain

Home has the potential to be something special, but PS3 desperately needs something...the online part is awfull (and the shop too).

What makes the DS3 better than the normal Sixaxis? Besides rumble?

The overall weight certainly gives it a certain something and the d-pad, triggers and sticks just feel a bit 'better' - hard to quantify, but it is better (and I actually like the Sixaxis)...

Back
Top Bottom