Sony PlayStation 3

Its not brilliant and just a gimmick from Sony... If they had given us the full power of the machine it would be worthwhile.

Sony are giving people options which MS do not with te 360 its that simple. All these things are the users choice the same with region free gaming.

PS3 will never need to be chipped now, 320gb hard drive for £100 bargain all these are just bonuses taht the user can take up the same with Wi fi.

Yea for most gamers the PS3 is just a games machine but there are plenty of people who use it for other things.

Yeah I agree theyve opened up the PS3 a little bit with the Other OS option but the versions of Linux that ive ran on it (both Fedora and Yellow Dog) have been shockingly slow and installing applications on it is a bloody nightmare, took me almost 2 hours to figure out how to install the SNES Emualtor!!

Right no more FUCKING FANBOY FIGHTS, otherwise we will start a FANBOY FIGHT thread in this section as well.

Please lads, fooking calm down, this is about entertainment, and enjoying yourselves, so no more of it alright. Alot of people are lucky to play on both or have experienced both machines, PERSONNEL TASTE makes you use the machine your happier with, be it the quieter PS3 or the Pad of the 360, and that's were it stops. So everyone just grow up, the next comment and the person gets banned, you hear that Paul, Johnny and anyone else who is lining up to chip in.

I know the ole PS3 v 360 topics get tiresome, but this is a forum right? Place for discussion, argument, counter-argument?

Long as it doest get personal, I dont see the problem - and these messages are posted in the PS3 thread ABOUT the PS3 features and benefits arent they?

Yeah I agree theyve opened up the PS3 a little bit with the Other OS option but the versions of Linux that ive ran on it (both Fedora and Yellow Dog) have been shockingly slow and installing applications on it is a bloody nightmare, took me almost 2 hours to figure out how to install the SNES Emualtor!!

I've not really dabbled much with Linux, but isnt that a fault of Linux rather than the PS3?

To be honest, I've never heard the speed problem from anyone before though - all the videos I've seen of it running the Linux OS on YouTube have been pretty good. Sure you havent got a dodgy/old copy of Linux?

Or maybe the other variations are faster???

Yep, that's more an issue with Linux itself and nothing to do with the PS3. Linux is a pretty damn good OS but it does have some annoying quirks, an over-reliance on the command line puts me off it slightly.

I know the ole PS3 v 360 topics get tiresome, but this is a forum right? Place for discussion, argument, counter-argument?

Long as it doest get personal, I dont see the problem - and these messages are posted in the PS3 thread ABOUT the PS3 features and benefits arent they?

Yes its a forum, but the threads have been relatively clean of the fanboy shite for such a long time, I just didnt want it escalating to that, I dont think people should be slagging off the fact the PS3 can do so much more, nor do I think the XB should get slagged for being entirely closed compared to the PS3, fact is MS make OS's and Sony dont really, so leaving there Hardware open helps them maybe open up the market to someone who wants to be able to modify their own machine as such, they bought it, they own it.

Just keep it clear, ta lads.

Just got my replacement PS3 and it refuses to load up in anything other than 576p

If i do an auto HDMI scan it finds 1080i is the highest i can run - i tell it to do that and then i find its still running in 576p

If i start any game it runs in 576p and when i turn the PS3 off and on again it's in 576p

If i do a custom scan i can select and deselect 720p and 1080i but i can't uncheck 576p at all

-

Anyone able to help?

Did you plug the pad in to force it to detect it?

Sometimes when my pads battery is dead or really low it loses the sync with my machine and i have to link it up to re sync them

paul, is there anything on installing a SEGA Genesis emulator on Yellow Dog 6? sorry to be a lazy arse but cant be trawling through tonnes of code and shit?

And you think I can?! :LOL:

Nah, dunno mate - as I say, I've never really looked into it. Got a good search on AVF and they are a friendly bunch.

If I ever get round to doing it, I'll let ya know.

Yep, I had a 360 Premium ages ago and it was showing signs of RROD'ing so I sold it and bought a PS3. The PS3 was a great machine (obviously still is) but it just didn't have enough games to warrant keeping it. So bought a 360.

I did miss playing the American games though, especially All-Pro Football 2k8 (which I'll buy again I'm sure).

For now, I'm expecting to get around £370 for my 360 and games/equipment so I should be able to get a few extra quid and get a PS3 with Rock Band :D

DAMN! The PS3 has just been crucified!

Microsoft bigwig Aaron Greenberg has attacked Sony for what he sees as a failure to deliver on promises.

Among his targets were Killzone 2, PlayStation Home, PSN functionality, 1080p support, Blu-ray, Sixaxis and rumble.

"We have been fighting Sony's promises from the day we entered the market. Three years ago at E3 they showed what PS3 games would supposedly look like with the Killzone 2 video, that we are now learning will ship four years later. That means that we will have shipped Gears of War and Gears of War 2 before they can even get Killzone out the door," Greenberg told Destructoid.

"Think back to GDC 2007 when Sony promised to leap ahead in online with the Sony Home unveil. Here we are two years later and multiple delays for a product that has appears to have little to no buzz. Where are the achievements? The friends list integration across all games? Where is the long-promised video store?

"Where are all the other products using and networking with their Cell chip? How come Blu-ray did not result in better games? What happened with Sixaxis and rumble? Where is the complete 1080p game library we were promised? If Blu-ray, as they said, would be such a catalyst to PS3 console sales, then why have PS3 sales over the past couple months not seen any lift since the format victory?" he added.

The reality for Greenberg is that the Xbox 360 "is leading this generation" because it has sold more consoles, has more games and exclusives as well as "the leading online service and community". Unsurprisingly he's confident Xbox 360 will extend "its lead" over PS3 this year.

Greenberg says Microsoft has a 5 million unit lead over Sony around the world. That's double the PS3 in the US, and one million more in Europe, which, er, is not what Sony Europe boss David Reeves said earlier this week.

"The days of Sony snowing the consumers and the press are over, I think the pressure is now really on them more than ever to deliver on all of these promises," concluded Greenberg.

He does make some valid points though. Games should be making the most of the Blu-Ray discs, and XMB does need to add a few more features.

That was a right go at Sony that there, it'd be funny to see Sony's response. It'd be like DJ v PBoreham in the professional world! :LOL:

DAMN! The PS3 has just been crucified!

People get sick of 360/PS3 arguments - but its the bigwigs of M$ and $ony that start it all! :LOL:

Was it only last week that the $ony guy (Phil Harrison?) crucified the 360 and said PS3 was now outselling 360 and had more units installed or something?

People behind Killzone have praised the PS3 architecture to the hilt today and Kojima keeps coming out with his cap-in-hand now praising the PS3.

So as DJ says, just all words. Both consoles are powerful no doubt about it and the differences that swing people one way or another are more about personal preference rather than any major technical failings.

Back
Top Bottom