Sony PlayStation 3

hi guys. i am now a proud owner of the ps3 and my first impressions are why diddnt i get this thing instead of a 360.

as soon as i took it out the box, the build quality is MILLLLLES better then the 360. its solid, firm and heavy whilst the 360 feels cheap, plastic and like a toy.

The OS is alot smoother and better then the 360 one has the 360 feels slugish and slow. i bought it for 320 with gta and euro 08 from HMV :P

i have one question in regards to hooking this up on my monitor, i have a lcd monitor with a vga conenction at the back and iw as wondering how i can hook the ps3 up to that. i cannot seem to find a hdmi to vga but i have found hdmi to dvi (Maplin > HDMI to DVI Digital Video Leads) and was wondering if i can use that along with a dvi to vga converter Maplin > DVI to VGA Gender Changers. would i need to use the red and white phono plugs for the sound too? by connecting teh AV cable to teh sound sorce and the hdmi to dvi into my monitor?

btw danhammer if its a hdd failure cant you install a newer hd on it?

Excellent stuff, welcome aboard the good ship PS3 :D

As for the monitor, pretty sure you can connect that way, ut I'm not 100% sure. My monitor takes DVI-D in, so I have a HDMI->DVI-D cable - and yea, as you say, you need to use the AV cable at the same time from PS3->Amp/Speakers using the Red/White cables.

Nice week to get a PS3 as there are 2 store updates this week - Haze demo (full level 1 single and multiplayer) on Tuesday and GRID on Thursday.

hi guys. i am now a proud owner of the ps3 and my first impressions are why diddnt i get this thing instead of a 360.

as soon as i took it out the box, the build quality is MILLLLLES better then the 360. its solid, firm and heavy whilst the 360 feels cheap, plastic and like a toy.

The OS is alot smoother and better then the 360 one has the 360 feels slugish and slow. i bought it for 320 with gta and euro 08 from HMV :P

i have one question in regards to hooking this up on my monitor, i have a lcd monitor with a vga conenction at the back and iw as wondering how i can hook the ps3 up to that. i cannot seem to find a hdmi to vga but i have found hdmi to dvi (Maplin > HDMI to DVI Digital Video Leads) and was wondering if i can use that along with a dvi to vga converter Maplin > DVI to VGA Gender Changers. would i need to use the red and white phono plugs for the sound too? by connecting teh AV cable to teh sound sorce and the hdmi to dvi into my monitor?

btw danhammer if its a hdd failure cant you install a newer hd on it?

yeah demos are always free - you might want to set yourself up with a USA and possibly a Japan PSN (PlayStation Network) account as they get demos earlier than us and get extra content

There are a load of menu themes and backgrounds --- ill have to have a dig around as i have none in my bookmarks but i did download a ton a while ago so i know there are sites out there

Hi, i managed to get a HDMI to DVI cable and it diddnt work on my dell 22 inch widescreen monitor! The message on my monitor says this "Cnnot Display this mode"

i do not know why, i have tried reconnecting the cable again and again and still no joy

edit: i just found out that my monitor has to be hdcp compilent and it appears not to :( i have a dell 2005fpw monitor. im pissed i just wasted £30 on this hdmi to dvi. damm if only someone told me it had to be hdcp complient!!!!!!

Hi, i managed to get a HDMI to DVI cable and it diddnt work on my dell 22 inch widescreen monitor! The message on my monitor says this "Cnnot Display this mode"

i do not know why, i have tried reconnecting the cable again and again and still no joy

edit: i just found out that my monitor has to be hdcp compilent and it appears not to :( i have a dell 2005fpw monitor. im pissed i just wasted £30 on this hdmi to dvi. damm if only someone told me it had to be hdcp complient!!!!!!

Oops! To be fair, its pretty well known :)

Can you sell the monitor and get a HDCP one? I've got a fab ACER X222W monitor and its really good for the PS3 - 1080p, HD Compliant, DVI input etc.

Word of warning that I found the hard way, most (dont know if ALL) PC monitors will not allow PS2 games to be played as there is no 'i' output that the PS2 needs.

I doubt he got a BC PS3 anyhow pboreham, they kinda rare now, doubt therefore he needs to worry about PS2 games.

I doubt he got a BC PS3 anyhow pboreham, they kinda rare now, doubt therefore he needs to worry about PS2 games.

Ah yea, of course... shame mine is BC and I cannot play them.

Tempted to sell and get a 40gb and pocket a bit of cash - but isnt all the DLC locked to the console (got a 320gb HD)?

how do you send message's when gaming? or is it not possible?

Not until a later firmware update in the summer - it eats up a shit load of resources so they're having to continually optimize it with the latest games to get it to work - and then im guessing another game comes around that uses every bit of the PS3 it can and that throws another spanner into the works

I think the best they should give us to save time and recourses is in game messaging and access to your music files. I can't think of anything else we'd need.

SO:

A month later, my PS3 comes back to me since that dreaded moment when it stopped reading every type of disk! Of course, to make my joyful return to the nerdy gaming world end in momentary dismay, they provided me with a defective controller! Congratulations SONY and thanks. lol. At least the system they sent me is in one piece and plays disks. Crossing my fingers that this baby is the one that lasts me a lifetime...

Needless to say, while I wait for SONY to replace my old controller, I upgraded to a dual shock controller. Bought GTA IV, bought the CoD4 expansion map back and expansion Stardust pack, and I am back in zombie gaming business. -yeSsSsss

Last edited:
hows mgs online? any good? can i still try the beta? how long is the beta for? how many players in one game? when is it officialy released?

hows mgs online? any good? can i still try the beta? how long is the beta for? how many players in one game? when is it officialy released?

Quite good, yes its ok, dont think so, till 11th May IIRC, 16, End o June as part of MGS4 - rumoured to be stand-alone PSN game too which is free.

Hope that helps! :)

PS3 outselling 360 in Europe...

They claim to have sold more PS3s than 360s? Find that strange considering 360 has been out about a year and a half more...

PS3 outselling 360 in Europe...

They claim to have sold more PS3s than 360s? Find that strange considering 360 has been out about a year and a half more...
its because people like me are fed up with the rrod treatment on the 360 plus MGS4 is on the horizon :))

its because people like me are fed up with the rrod treatment on the 360 plus MGS4 is on the horizon :))

Most people will say its because of Blu-Ray. Never seen the BR appeal to be honest. I love Films/TV as much as the next man/woman, but I'll happily watch in any decent resolution.

I've got Bond & 300 in BR and sure, they are 'better', but it doesnt make my enjoyment of the films any greater because the image is a little bit sharper.

Too many people get hung up on resolution/sound/pixels/AA etc... so anal.

I hope PS3 continues to flurish as a games console first and foremost and all the extras are a bonus!

GD08 - LittleBigPlanet gameplay
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7080_fr.html

GD08 - Killzone 2 gameplay 2 :BLINK:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6429_en.html

Killzone 2 preview IGN
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/872/872009p1.html

screenshots

rkub69.gif

6i45xk.gif

killzone-2a.jpg

killzone-2b.jpg

killzone-2c.jpg