Sony PlayStation 3

The first 3 hours into Uncharted are great. Amongst the best I've seen in recent game history. The problem is that the script goes horribly wrong and gameplay turns a generic 3rd person shooter and towards the end you end up missing the adventure bits you thought would be there. It begins like an Indiana Jones and ends up in a very generic disapointing way. I traded the game 3 days after I bought it (and finished). Overall, a good promise that fails to deliver as you progress.

1 million pre orders for GT5 Prologue (BD version) already, I dont know whether to download it or buy the disk.

:THINK:

yea, Digital is a great idea, but trade in sucks. Like Warhawk, loved it at first, now it just sits on my HD. Could sell it on Ebay or AVF if I had the disc version....

blue disc?
- - -
I think i might buy this -(if i do buy it)- purely for the option of trading it --- ive not touched warhawk since the new map download and ive not really missed it - but now its just sat on my HD doing nothing!

FIRMWARE 2.20

Sony: upcoming PS3 software update to include interactive Blu-ray movie features

Two words that can get customers excited are the words "new features." That's precisely what Sony has planned for the next system software update of its PlayStation 3 console. According to Sony, the update will add Blu-ray Profile 2.0 - otherwise known as BD-LIVE.

Scheduled for a release date later during this month, BD-LIVE will lay the following new features on PS3 owners' laps:

- A variety of downloadable content, including bonus scenes, shorts, trailers, subtitles, ringtones that can be sent to mobile phones, images, and more.

- Interactive movie-based games that pit players sitting in the same room, or across the world and online, against each other.

-"Resume play" that enables the PS3 system to start playing a Blu-ray disc and DVD at the point where it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed. (Note that the BD-J format disc isn't supported.)

- "Audio Output Device," a new Remote Play setting, enables the PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.

- An enhanced PS3 Internet browser. Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's view speed will be improved.

- DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.

- "Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback. (Likewise, the BD discs recorded with BDMV format aren't supported.)

- Enhanced interoperability between the PS3 and the PSP. PS3 owners may copy music and photo playlists onto their PSP Memory Stick and enjoy the files on the go.

Sony said that BD Profile 2.0 requires an Internet connection and at least 1GB of
local storage. Also, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) has announced two BD-LIVE enabled titles for an April 8 release: Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story and The 6th Day, complete with exclusive downloadable content.

Thanks to Super Vegeta for the tip!

http://ps3.qj.net/Sony-upcoming-PS3...ctive-Blu-ray-movie-features/pg/49/aid/116284

Tis a nice update, resume play is great and the update to the browser is long overdue.

Shouldn't have to mate, it's a joke. Imagine developing for both consoles, why would you be arsed spending weeks implementing something on PS3 that the 360 has included already? You've got to code it, test it, fix it, test it, fix it, test it... These are next-gen consoles. It makes things far more awkward and is pathetic IMO.

2.30 will be the earliest version that has XMB, but you didn't hear it from me.

Last edited:
Ive read it uses up a lot of memory. In some games too much to co exist. the ones that have it are usually a little laggy as you check the friends list / messages -- so they are stuck waiting for sony to sort the problem out on the firmware.

Really dumb move from sony not to have included this from the start - makes me think they didn't see it as a required part of the console .... which in turn means they clearly hadn't played on their competitions console to steal the best ideas

Though at least we're past the dark days the console had after launch

Last edited:
Shouldn't have to mate, it's a joke. Imagine developing for both consoles, why would you be arsed spending weeks implementing something on PS3 that the 360 has included already? You've got to code it, test it, fix it, test it, fix it, test it... These are next-gen consoles. It makes things far more awkward and is pathetic IMO.

Oh, dont get me wrong - its shocking! Should be the fundamental basics of any next-gen console - especially one pushing MP games.

But when you get Everybody's Golf, you will see how seemless it is - IIRC, you can even bring the XMB up mid round, not just pre.

This should be a staple part of the hardware though, not down to the developers, I was just saying its there in some form at the moment.

As said above, it is down to the memory footprint apparantly and they are trying to reduce the footprint of the XMB before 'unlocking' it for inside games.

Find it amazing with all this high-end technology, that something that simple (or seemingly simple!) cannot be done yet when your closest rival has had it since launch... unforgiveable...

JB you told me not to say anything about this ;)

Anywayz you are spot on! Why does it have to be this way?

Back
Top Bottom