Sony PlayStation 3

99.8% Confirmed
40GB PS3 To Hit Australia On October 11 For AUD$699

I've heard from multiple sources today, both from retailers (EB Games, JB Hi-Fi) and customers (cheers Musky!), that the 40GB PS3 is on its way to Australia on October 11, and will retail for AUD$699. When asked for comment, Sony would only offer:
We don't provide comment in relation to rumours or speculation such as this.
Which would be fine, were it not for the fact retailers across the country are already telling anyone and everyone walking in off the street about the thing. I'd say this puppy's as good as confirmed

The GameCube Is So Kicking The PS3's Ass
ps3cube.jpg

The PS3's taken its fair share of smacks to the mouth over the past year. Some were well-deserved, others less deserved, but this? This is below the belt. GamePro have dug up some old NPD figures, taken a look at some new NPD figures and drawn up a pretty little graph which shows the PS3 is selling slower than the GameCube. Ouch. Low blow. But is that really fair? The Cube's launch wasn't too bad, as you can see - it was the next 3-4 years that killed it. And it's a bit hard to chart the next 3-4 years of PS3 sales when, you know, they haven't happened yet. Still, it is a pretty graph, and I'm a sucker for pretty graphs, so up it goes.
At current rate, PS3 may sell less than GameCube [GamePro]

Euro Retailers List PS3 40GB At €449, Promote FIFA Bundle
ps3_40gb_price.jpg

The cheapest PLAYSTATION 3 yet may be released at a reduced price of €449, according to a promotional flyer from European retailer Carrefour. The shots, seemingly taken at the bottom of a pool or possibly through a jar a Vaseline, show the new 40GB model promoted at a price €150 less than the current 60GB configuration and seem to originate from the Tekno Consolas forums.

In addition to the €449 model, a bundle featuring FIFA 08 and the PS3 is advertised for a price of €489, compounding the value to nearly incomprehensible levels. Oops, I'm thinking that Pro Evo Soccer 2008 would add value. Apologies.

These shots are unconfirmed as official, but certainly don't fly in the face of anything we've been hearing lately about the forthcoming rumored new hardware configuration. Maybe we'll know more on "Big Bang" Friday.

New Sony Chip Deal Means...Something

Bloomberg are reporting that Sony will now be designing DRAM chips in conjunction with another company, Infineon Technologies AG, in order to cut R&D costs at the company.
Why are they trying to cut costs? Because that part of Sony, the semiconductor unit, lost USD$86 million last year. Mostly off the back of costly PS3 development.
While the announcement is expected to benefit many areas of the company (phones, cameras, etc), it will also affect PS3 production. So what does this mean to you, consumer? Probably not much.
Not like this is going to instantly translate into a $100 saving to you at the cash register. But the more Sony can shave off production costs with moves like this, the closer the PS3 becomes to being...well, remotely affordable.

I was amongst doing tthings at the time and I wasnt really concentrating.

Italy to get 40GB PS3 on Oct 10, Gamestore mag reports

While expectations continue to build regarding Sony's probable, yet still unconfirmed 40GB PlayStation 3, Italy's Gamestore magazine has stoked the fires of speculation by reporting that Italian gamers will be able to purchase the 40GB model on October 10 for the lower (in relation to PS3's current European retail value) and more consumer-friendly price of €399 ($564).

Additionally, the report also makes mention of a €499 ($705) 'starter pack' SKU, which according to the mag will include two unspecified games and an extra controller. This latest news comes on the back of a string of rumors that simply refuses to die. If accurate, how much longer can Sony pretend to keep a lid on this?

Does Singstar PS3 have a release date yet? OPM gave it 9/10, this game will be popular in my house.

BC was never really in the European machine anyhow, only through software emulation ala 360

PS Store US - Thanks Vanished

Games:
Go! Sports Ski (2.99 US) - Go! Sports Ski is a visually stunning, skiing simulator that harnesses the
SIXAXIS controller.

Demos:
The Simpsons demo
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years’ War demo

Tutorials:
NBA 08 key control play calling tutorial video
Eye of Judgement tutorial video

Other video:
Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune BTS
Haze Dev interview
Tekkonkinkreet video
Surf’s Up BD trailer

http://blog.us.playstation.com/?author=4371

Does Singstar PS3 have a release date yet? OPM gave it 9/10, this game will be popular in my house.

October/November

Not much help i know. Deffo before Xmas. I expect to see a 40gb Singstar bundle at Xmas as well.

I'm really looking forward to Singstar as well, it will be really fun to play with family and mates. It's a shame I can't sing at all though. :p

Regarding the weekly US Store update, the "The Simpsons" demo might be a nice thing, I don't really know what to expect from it, just hope it's good. It's a shame we still aren't getting the PES2008 demo, I can't think of a valid reason to such a long delay.

That is the update of the American Store, so it doesn't necessarily mean the European Store won't get it, but it's pretty unlikely. :|

I expect a bundle too, why dont they just sponsor x factor?

:lol:

Uncharted demo confirmed

Evan Wells | October 3rd, 2007 at 9:48 am

Yes, we will be creating a downloadable demo for the PSN. We don’t have a final date on when it will be up, but it will be before our release date.

Last edited:
Rubbish, no 60Gb bundle then. Does anyone yet know bar 20Gb of less HDD the differences?

BC was never really in the European machine anyhow, only through software emulation ala 360

Nope, the first American machines had both the PS2's Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer...

when PS3 was launched in Europe they removed the Emotion Engine...

these new models apparently don't have the GS either.

Thats an interesting price, still want to see how the bru-ray / hd war is going before deciding to get it. Oh and some decent games aswell would help. Can you still "connect" this ps3 to the pc as it doesnt have usb/mmc slots? Curious for when pes gets good again and we need to use option files. Can you also put avi files on the hd and play them?

Tell me about it, I would have loved a free roam option on there... struggling to find anything worth buying for the damn thing, they all seem like last gen, with brighter graphics, Saga rally was an absolute joke!!
Going to try Tigerwoods 3000,000,000 or whatever the latest version is and had a go at Virtua tennis 3 which was ok, but nothing so far has given me that next gen game feeling...

Back
Top Bottom