Sony PlayStation 3

Re: Sony PlayStation 3 : Firmware 2.0 details

People at the show and they have played PES2008, seem to rate it, very highly.

People on this site that have only seen videos a few, seem to slag off PES2008.

Who though? Most of them are pretty much saying its the usual pes, and it is in more ways then one. PES is no longer, if it ever was, the best game a console offers. Seems more like a lack of anything else then a confirmation of this pes being so good. Most of the people, adam among others, have said it isnt anything special and that they were dissapointed (or atleast thats how they looked and spoke after the 1st day in leipzig) with the overal development/look of the game. But were pleased the usual gameplay with some added tweaks was present.

As for the people here slagging it off, i think it deserves it, but then i am a single player that would actually like to see nextgen development for this franchise. And as for the actual slagging off, to me most of the people being negative have balanced and argued positions why for them it just isnt the game they think it should be, which then gets lost in some fanboy flaming wars. How many on here that are positive can actually say something that the game didnt already have? Most of the time its a "I like pes and these few tweaks/changes is enough for me". That isnt a comment you would associate with a "best of the show" game.

I think airjoca said it best with the overal level of "love" for the game.

Most of the time its a "I like pes and these few tweaks/changes is enough for me". That isnt a comment you would associate with a "best of the show" game.

The point still stands, the people that have played it, like it and it wasnt just voted best football game, best game overall...

If it looks abit like the last one, yet it beat everything else as best game on PS2 and PS3, including the 'realistic' looking Fifa, there must be a little more to the game than meets the eye.

The majority of the people here putting across the negative, what YOU might call balanced opinions have not played the game. Most of these are critisims are expectation problems, they expect the game to have X,Y or Z feature and it doesnt so its shite, or they state what "next-gen" means to them, and that isnt in the game either, again, their problem.

If its not the game they think it should be then fine, but they havent played the game.... and this is what PES is all about. The people that have, WE:BN got more receptive as they played it and noticed the differences, other sites have been very positive on the game and the conference voted it the best game, this holds far more weight than people who have not played it.

So the fact that several people have said it's disappointing, that CW said he couldn't stand it and that even Adonis of WENB said it was "underwhelming" means nothing?

You make good points but it's all subjective. I am not happy to play PES until it's had a total overhaul, so I won't like it. Those who think the game is great as it is and just want improvements will be very happy with it. It entirely depends on what camp you're in. Including the people who voted it PS2/PS3 game of the show - A) we have no idea who "who" is, and B) they could fit into the "happy with tweaks" camp, so they would obviously say it was the best game (because it's football and every bloke's favourite game is a football game).

I'm 90% sure I won't be playing PES2008 because CW is of the same mindset as me, that lots of things need to change, that the CPU needs to stop cheating and that the player needs to be handed more control, and he has said he hated the game. So I probably will as well. But if you went over there yourself, as someone who believes the game only needs tweaks because it's a great game already, you would say it's even better and a must-purchase. Neither view is wrong. Honestly, I just hope that everybody is happy this year. That the guys who want an overhaul find FIFA 08 good enough, and that the guys who want tweaks will be in their element. And I'm sure that will be the case.

Last edited:

Oh god not this thread now pleeeaaaassseee, SURELY NOT THIS THREAD AS WELL?? arrrrrghhhh.... :mad: :mad:.... *pulls the trigger*

LOL this thread is also being contaminated with PES vs Fifa debates too!

Yeah sorry about that, my point was more that the ps3 isnt offering much atm. Oh well.......

LOL @ studeep

The PS3 is starting to dissapoint now. I got my machine for £300 anyway i am tempted to get rid but PES & Fifa i feel are better suited to the pad.

Decisions decisions

PS3 for PES (D-PAD not an option with the Xbox), 360 for FIFA (analogs and triggers much more suited).

Play demos of both and then decide - if you put your PS3 on eBay around Christmas-time you might end up getting a bit more for it.

Am I the only one who isnt particularly impressed with Killzone 2? I just dont like the look of it and I hated the 1st ones gameplay...

I like the art direction.

Played the first one a few weeks ago, and again the other day - the graphics are great, the story is great, the gameplay is really crap .... in my opinion. If Killzone 2 is easier to control (and I'm sure it will be) then it will be fantastic.

:shock:

Click

Folklore is also £15

Last edited:

Personally, the only things that's making me keep my PS3 is Little Big Planet, MGS & Blu-Ray. I was hoping PES and Heavenly Sword will help that too but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I know they were released a year apart, but there is very little that Sony is doing to make me buy more games for it. I was gutted after buying VF5 only finding out later that the 360 version will be online capable :(

It is crap they delayed it after it got terrible reviews when originally released. you cant see where your flying because the cameras are crap.

So the fact that several people have said it's disappointing, that CW said he couldn't stand it and that even Adonis of WENB said it was "underwhelming" means nothing?

You make good points but it's all subjective. I am not happy to play PES until it's had a total overhaul, so I won't like it. Those who think the game is great as it is and just want improvements will be very happy with it. It entirely depends on what camp you're in. Including the people who voted it PS2/PS3 game of the show - A) we have no idea who "who" is, and B) they could fit into the "happy with tweaks" camp, so they would obviously say it was the best game (because it's football and every bloke's favourite game is a football game).

I'm 90% sure I won't be playing PES2008 because CW is of the same mindset as me, that lots of things need to change, that the CPU needs to stop cheating and that the player needs to be handed more control, and he has said he hated the game. So I probably will as well. But if you went over there yourself, as someone who believes the game only needs tweaks because it's a great game already, you would say it's even better and a must-purchase. Neither view is wrong. Honestly, I just hope that everybody is happy this year. That the guys who want an overhaul find FIFA 08 good enough, and that the guys who want tweaks will be in their element. And I'm sure that will be the case.

thats funny, i spoke to CW on the last day of the GC and his views were different. :)

I've preordered Warhawk from GAME for £35, the double reward points make up for the extra £5.

Anyone know what headset it comes with?

I've preordered Warhawk from GAME for £35, the double reward points make up for the extra £5.

Anyone know what headset it comes with?

jabra 125 i think.

googles jabra 125...

Whoah whoah whoah!

When did I say that I couldnt stand PES08? I wasnt aware I could be misquoted without even saying anything...

The truth is that both PES and FIFA play a different type of game. From the demo version we played on the show floor I could quite happily play PES on the PS3 but it would not be a game that would make me rush out to buy a console just so I could play it, who knows though this could change with the full version of the game. I will be quite happy for the time being playing FIFA on the 360.

Also when I played the full version of FIFA up in the press area on both the PS3 and the 360 I couldnt see any noticeable difference in graphics or feel any difference in the way the game played with either controller which is good news for everyone

It says on WENB that you didn't like the game, and you've said to me previously that you didn't want to play PES6 and you much preferred UEFA/FIFA... Plus everything you've had to say so far has been about how much you're looking forward to FIFA 08, I've not heard you mention PES up until now. But I apologise if you feel I misrepresented you.

I'm the first to say that they're both different games and that people should just play whatever they're happy with, but that doesn't mean you can't have your own personal opinion (in-fact everyone can't help but have one) and play one over the other.

Whoah whoah whoah!

When did I say that I couldnt stand PES08? I wasnt aware I could be misquoted without even saying anything...

The truth is that both PES and FIFA play a different type of game. From the demo version we played on the show floor I could quite happily play PES on the PS3 but it would not be a game that would make me rush out to buy a console just so I could play it, who knows though this could change with the full version of the game. I will be quite happy for the time being playing FIFA on the 360.

Also when I played the full version of FIFA up in the press area on both the PS3 and the 360 I couldnt see any noticeable difference in graphics or feel any difference in the way the game played with either controller which is good news for everyone

yeh, the fact that you played the full version of FIFA in the business section changed your view on the PS3 version of FIFA has kept my hopes alive for the full version of PES2008.

i am pretty sure the demo version of PES2008 was not 75% code.

It says on WENB that you didn't like the game, and you've said to me previously that you didn't want to play PES6 and you much preferred UEFA/FIFA... Plus everything you've had to say so far has been about how much you're looking forward to FIFA 08, I've not heard you mention PES up until now. But I apologise if you feel I misrepresented you.

I'm the first to say that they're both different games and that people should just play whatever they're happy with, but that doesn't mean you can't have your own personal opinion (in-fact everyone can't help but have one) and play one over the other.

I feel I was slightly misrepresented in the post that Adam made on Day 1. I wanted to give every game a try before I voiced an opinion on either and due to the queue for PES once I had played I thought I would go and get a feel for FIFA.

The reason I wasnt looking forward to PES was that from what I had heard and seen they had done nothing to move on from PES6. Now I have played it I realise that it feels like they have ignored PES6 happened and gone back to what made PES5 a good, flowing game of football. The more I played PES on the PS3 the more it felt like the right football game on that format

Hopefully with better ball control than PES5? E.G players not knocking the ball 10 yards ahead of themselves when you try to run onto it and yet the CPU Players control it perfectly?

Hopefully with better ball control than PES5? E.G players not knocking the ball 10 yards ahead of themselves when you try to run onto it and yet the CPU Players control it perfectly?

I really have no idea what you are talking about, I never experienced anything like that when I played PES5

Back
Top Bottom